Sign in to follow this  
Bogdanov89

Opening one mana chest should give mana from all chests?

Is it possible to make it so that opening one chest during build phase will give you the mana from all the chests on the map?

In Survival mode during Build Phase running across the entire map hunting down chests to open just to get mana isn't exactly enjoyable, especially when there is no time limit for Build Phase in Survival modes.

Even in the time limited Build Phases that exist in non-survival modes this improvement for chest mana collection would make the game more enjoyable and let us focus more on strategy instead of running around.

Personally i think this method should become the default but even better if it could be implemented as an option so the host can decide for himself.

Thank you for reading :)

@Bogdanov89 quote:

Is it possible to make it so that opening one chest during build phase will give you the mana from all the chests on the map?

In Survival mode during Build Phase running across the entire map hunting down chests to open just to get mana isn't exactly enjoyable, especially when there is no time limit for Build Phase in Survival modes.

Even in the time limited Build Phases that exist in non-survival modes this improvement for chest mana collection would make the game more enjoyable and let us focus more on strategy instead of running around.

Personally i think this method should become the default but even better if it could be implemented as an option so the host can decide for himself.

The amount of mana you hold is currently capped at 2020.  So you would not be able to hold all the mana from the chests if they opened at once.  

@Bogdanov89 quote:

What's the point of that? Might as well make it so towers don't cost any mana at all.

Also this wouldn't work for all campaign maps as some maps give more mana then you can hold at once.

Please no, the path you run in the wave is an important part of the strategy when playing the map, it would remove a layer of challange and it would reward the lazy players

@Angix quote:

Please no, the path you run in the wave is an important part of the strategy when playing the map, it would remove a layer of challange and it would reward the lazy players

Ya i think being strategic about routes when timed plays an important part, if you open one chest its almost as if you're starting with mana and it doesn't feel proper. I get the quality of life thought behind it, but it feels like a core part of the game. People's maps have purposeful placements and quantities, and of course survivals pose an issue.. what are you gonna do? Pick up 16,000 mana at once?

The primary reason the mana is strewn around the map is so that when a player first visits the map they're required to essentially explore the map- Chests are typically placed near places you might consider defending (at least as a new player). This is in place primarily for the benefit of the person playing the map for the first time rather than the veteran who knows everything already. (It's worth noting in DD2 they recently removed this mechanic and just give mana directly to the player after each wave because of feedback + they didn't see it as valuable enough to retain).

I don't care one way or the other in all actuality, I'm just making observations. (The new map I'm working on  will only have one chest for mechanical reasons, but this isn't an endorsement of applying that to all maps, which by the way would result in an absolutely ginormous patch)

I can see this being fine for map modes that don't have a timer. However, it would ruin the strategy for other modes. Having the chests spread out is also an incentive to play multiplayer for more difficult maps, which is honestly a good thing.