Looking for mid-late game tips

Hello everyone! So I'm a returning player from the original dungeon defenders and just now giving dungeon defenders 2 a fair shot (I'm talking full time 80 hours in the past 2 weeks). Needless to say I've become addicted to this game very similar to how I did in the original.

Currently I feel like I'm kind of lost in progression. I've done the main progression line up to C-VII, and completed mastery as far as I can for the moment with my current hero pool. 

Currently I'm farming CVII to gear out, is the best way to determine the "max gear" by holding alt or is there a better method to finding gear with "maxed" stats?

I understand I want to push onslaught floors as far as I can, but I don't feel properly geared to make a nice 2-3 hour push as my basic build consists of nothing but 3 weapon mfr, 2 flame auras, and a wall or proton beam string per lane; I use 2 weapon mfr if D.U. prevents it, but with onslaught are there certain heros that may make life easier? I'm sure builds are usually personal preference but is there a structure any of you follow? 

When infusing mods into gear do you ideally want it to be in a maxed out legendary grade gear piece? This way the mods are infused in gear that won't be replaced because the stats are what you want at thier max. 

Finally my hero pool is as follows:

Squire walls: 6.2 million

PDT: 500K DPS

Flame auras: 105k dps

Weapon mfr: tool tip reads 99k but with 3 about 2 million is read.

Sky-guard: about 500k per shot

Are there any "game changing" heros? 

As for now that's all I have questions about but any extra tips, farming habits (I need most help here!), or sources would be much appreciated! 

Make sure you have the fitting shards for your defences.
Pressing alt allows you to see the max and min rolls.
I usually go with 46k relics (6/10 ups) and 30k totems (6/10 ups) in c7.
Max those and start collecting Mods that you'd like to put on them (make sure the relics where the mod is on is the same chaos tier as the relic you transfer it to).

For Game changing Heroes:
I guess Dryad and Mystic are fairly good Heroes.
The are at no means needed but can provide a nice amount of strategys.
Also Dps Heroes like Gunwitch and Barbarian can be a nice choice.

@Randomroxas quote:

Make sure you have the fitting shards for your defences.
Pressing alt allows you to see the max and min rolls.
I usually go with 46k relics (6/10 ups) and 30k totems (6/10 ups) in c7.
Max those and start collecting Mods that you'd like to put on them (make sure the relics where the mod is on is the same chaos tier as the relic you transfer it to).

For Game changing Heroes:
I guess Dryad and Mystic are fairly good Heroes.
The are at no means needed but can provide a nice amount of strategys.
Also Dps Heroes like Gunwitch and Barbarian can be a nice choice.

Thanks for the tips! So right now I'm thinking my main focus should be farming out C7 gear and begin to gear out my heros (Builders>DPS>Single tower builders?)

That just made me think of something, what heros is it appropriate to do hybrid on and which should require a new card slot? For example I have 2 monks one spec'd for flame auras and the other for sky guard... is this a common practice?

Its fairly common for people to have multiple characters for diffrent towers.
This is especially usefull if you can't max out ascension range gambits on every tower you want.
I'd put Any type of builders always first on the relic part. Save up the other gear for your dps as builders don't need good armor or weapons.

@ViR-GiN-iA quote:

Hello everyone! So I'm a returning player from the original dungeon defenders and just now giving dungeon defenders 2 a fair shot (I'm talking full time 80 hours in the past 2 weeks). Needless to say I've become addicted to this game very similar to how I did in the original.

Currently I feel like I'm kind of lost in progression. I've done the main progression line up to C-VII, and completed mastery as far as I can for the moment with my current hero pool. 

Currently I'm farming CVII to gear out, is the best way to determine the "max gear" by holding alt or is there a better method to finding gear with "maxed" stats?

Welcome to DD2. I was in a very similar spot as you back in DEC. 

Progression - if you are beating C7 with ease, you are kind of at the end game. All that is left is Mastery that you have not done, and playing Onslaught as high as you want to go. That or just keep grinding 7 Expeditions as much as you can stand. Until you get past floor 80 in Onslaught, that mode doe snot give you any better gear, and even then it is MODs and materials that drop new.  Question to ask yourself - what part of DD2 do you enjoy the most? You do not need to play Onslaught if you do not want to. Progression from here is very much up to you. Personally i am just playing C7 expeditions to grind loot. Onslaught never had much appeal to me until this last update that put new things on floor 80+. 

As to maxed stats, c7 is pretty much the upper cap (apart from hitting those 80+ floor materials), so you will likely get to know what numbers are good or not, as you will see the same ones over and over and over again. 

I understand I want to push onslaught floors as far as I can, but I don't feel properly geared to make a nice 2-3 hour push as my basic build consists of nothing but 3 weapon mfr, 2 flame auras, and a wall or proton beam string per lane; I use 2 weapon mfr if D.U. prevents it, but with onslaught are there certain heros that may make life easier? I'm sure builds are usually personal preference but is there a structure any of you follow? 

Now that WM is nerfed, you will likely need to have some more creativity in your builds as a single build type will likely not fare well against the some of the various nasty mutators out there. A good barricade is a must, along with a mix of towers and auras/traps as certain enemies key of off one or the other. Also - placement matters so much!!!!! You need to learn how the towers and the enemies work, so you know how to build. Once you learn this - no setup can actually stop you. 

When infusing mods into gear do you ideally want it to be in a maxed out legendary grade gear piece? This way the mods are infused in gear that won't be replaced because the stats are what you want at thier max. 

The MOD should be at the same tier (i.e. C1 vs C7) as the gear it is going onto. Never put a lower tier MOD on a higher piece of gear. I mean, you can do it, but you could have evolved the MOD first to a higher tier on another piece of gear before you attached it. You cannot adjust MOD levels (sadly), so only need to worry about the tier. 

Finally my hero pool is as follows:

Squire walls: 6.2 million

PDT: 500K DPS

Flame auras: 105k dps

Weapon mfr: tool tip reads 99k but with 3 about 2 million is read.

Sky-guard: about 500k per shot

Are there any "game changing" heros? 

there is a ton of subjectivity on this. From the above list, i would recommend going for Mystic and her barricade "Viper Fangs" as i think that is the best wall in the game. I would make a Monk hero just for the LSA as that has a ton of power in it. You need a dedicated DPS hero, as i do not see that listed. Squire Cannonballs are also very good to use. EV2 Proton Beams are also very handy, as are Reflect Walls. 

Next hero? I would buy the Dryad. You get so much in one purchase. She has at least 3 defenses worth spending a whole dedicated hero on, if not 4. Then get yourself a good DPS with GW or Barb. 

As for now that's all I have questions about but any extra tips, farming habits (I need most help here!), or sources would be much appreciated! 

Farming - play C7 expeditions. Apart from floor 80 drops and hyper shards, everything you need will drop here. You will also learn how to do layouts for many of the stages by farming. 

Hope that helps. Good luck!!!!!

Welcome to DD2. I was in a very similar spot as you back in DEC. 

Progression - if you are beating C7 with ease, you are kind of at the end game. All that is left is Mastery that you have not done, and playing Onslaught as high as you want to go. That or just keep grinding 7 Expeditions as much as you can stand. Until you get past floor 80 in Onslaught, that mode does not give you any better gear, and even then it is MODs and materials that drop new.  Question to ask yourself - what part of DD2 do you enjoy the most? You do not need to play Onslaught if you do not want to. Progression from here is very much up to you. Personally i am just playing C7 expeditions to grind loot. Onslaught never had much appeal to me until this last update that put new things on floor 80+. 

As to maxed stats, c7 is pretty much the upper cap (apart from hitting those 80+ floor materials), so you will likely get to know what numbers are good or not, as you will see the same ones over and over and over again. 

Thanks for the nice reply, 

What part of DD2 do you enjoy the most: I enjoy the most the ability to reset and gain ancient power. I want to do this as many times as possible, but right now it feels like a waste if I did it from my current stand point because I would only keep about 60 of my levels and that would be hard to reset from. With this topic I have a few questions: 

1) When ancient power re-rolls gear does it also take the mod with it? Is it worth it to work around and save my gear with a trusted friend/alt account?

2) I understand that gilded shards are not lost but regular shards are. Are there key shards like fortification/destruction/tower rate etc. that I should make sure I have at least 1 or multiple of gilded before my first reset?

3) What are some short-comings to look out for when resetting? To me this is the ultimate late game. 

Now that WM is nerfed, you will likely need to have some more creativity in your builds as a single build type will likely not fare well against the some of the various nasty mutators out there. A good barricade is a must, along with a mix of towers and auras/traps as certain enemies key of off one or the other. Also - placement matters so much!!!!! You need to learn how the towers and the enemies work, so you know how to build. Once you learn this - no setup can actually stop you. 

I'm aware of the WM nerf on the MOD "Shocking revelation," were there more nerfs to the tower as a whole? Currently I do not have that mod and have been satisfied with the direction my WM have been going. 

However I'm not a fan with my build diversity because currently I am very very very short on having the ideal shards for most of my towers. This is something I need to invest more time into, but do I really if I plan on doing ancient power resets as often as possible?

there is a ton of subjectivity on this. From the above list, i would recommend going for Mystic and her barricade "Viper Fangs" as i think that is the best wall in the game. I would make a Monk hero just for the LSA as that has a ton of power in it. You need a dedicated DPS hero, as i do not see that listed. Squire Cannonballs are also very good to use. EV2 Proton Beams are also very handy, as are Reflect Walls. 

That list was a very rough look at my builders and not too accurate but its good to know there's a lot of heros that do well for the role they are required for depending on the mob. In what type of lanes can I expect to use something like Proton Beams?

Currently I have a boost monk + pet burst as my dps. 

Next hero? I would buy the Dryad. You get so much in one purchase. She has at least 3 defenses worth spending a whole dedicated hero on, if not 4. Then get yourself a good DPS with GW or Barb. 

I have since my original post farmed up the points to buy the dryad (with mystic now in my sights). 

So after reading this I scrapped some of my hero pool to make a dedicated Dryad for hornets and one for World Trees. 

iNeedMana: PDT: {No mods, no shards} (currently not in use)

iNeedLove: LSA: {Melee Boom, Anti-Melee, Shards: {Def Rate, Deadly Strikes, CritDmg}}

This guy also serves as my DPS nuke monk

iNeedJuice: EST: {Shatter Quake,Shards: {Power Transfer, CritDmg, Vamp. Empower}}

iNeedMoney: Ramsters: {No mods, no shards} (currently not in use)

iNeedEnergy: WM: {melee-boom, Shards: {Extra nodes, attack rate, power transfer}}

iNeedMental: SGT: {CC servo, Shards: {Def rate, Destruction}}

iNeedBroccoli: World Tree: {no mods, Shards: {Fortification, Deadly Strikes}}

iNeedWater: Hornet Nest: {Melee boom, crit rate, crit dmg, Shards: {destruction, def rate, crit dmg}}

This is more accurate pool of my current deck. My mods are yellow or better and these guys can do c7 easy but they're not optimized to my liking yet. 

Finally, I want to talk ascension. I get the first few points of each tree but what general guidelines do you follow once the gambit takes more power than you get from the defense tree?

THANK YOU TO ANYONE WHO HELPS!!

@ViR-GiN-iA quote:

Thanks for the nice reply, 

you are most welcome  ; ) 

What part of DD2 do you enjoy the most: I enjoy the most the ability to reset and gain ancient power. I want to do this as many times as possible, but right now it feels like a waste if I did it from my current stand point because I would only keep about 60 of my levels and that would be hard to reset from. With this topic I have a few questions: 

1) When ancient power re-rolls gear does it also take the mod with it? Is it worth it to work around and save my gear with a trusted friend/alt account?

2) I understand that gilded shards are not lost but regular shards are. Are there key shards like fortification/destruction/tower rate etc. that I should make sure I have at least 1 or multiple of gilded before my first reset?

3) What are some short-comings to look out for when resetting? To me this is the ultimate late game. 

If AP resets are your goal, then there are 2 major factors to consider in your gameplan - 1) how much time it takes to get back to the reset point, and 2) how much gold you will need to get to the min. amount of power you need to get to the reset point. Everything you do is best planned to concentrate on efficiency. 

To do this there are a couple things you need to prepare and plan for. The first is the optimal path to reset. This involves getting to Onslaught 65 as quick as possible, as the Ascension Point minimum will not be much of an issue and will happen on its own as you just play. 65 is best done through a combination of using Onslaught and Expeditions. There have been several established threads on this topic, so best to look one up for the exact best order, and i would check that it has been verified since the last update, in case gating changed at all. The second is the minimum defense layout. One of the biggest factors in each reset is getting back your power ASAP and gold is the key to that (apart from gilded shards). The more gold you have, and the less you need to spend - the quicker your ascent will be. A big part of this is reducing as much as possible how much gold you need to spend on reset. So, the less unique defenses you use the better. This is why the Dryad is considered the darling of resets. With her Bees, Nimbus, and slimes (and tree of course), you can pretty much take all lanes on. That only requires about 4 defenses to be used, and all benefit from corruption mode. You do not have to use these 4, but getting a build that will carry you all the way to Onslaught 65 on 4 or so towers will help you a lot. Less towers you need to power up = less gold to spend. 

Be warned though - once you reset, players tend to get stuck in kind of a reset loop for a while, as doing anything else becomes extremely non-efficient to your goal. So to that end, ensure you have done things like mastery to the point you wanted to before you start on resets, as you will find you are much more limited if you do it the other way around. Also, if you wanted to get to Onslaught 114 (special flair) or get above 80 (special MODs and materials, c8 ampules), then you might want to do it before you start resetting. 

Back to your 3 questions:

1. Everything except gilded shards will all reset back to level one, campaign strength. I am pretty sure this includes MODs. It will take some time and materials to bring them all back up to C7. This part is pretty new though, so i don't have a lot of insight on this yet as i have never reset. IDK if hiding the item on an alt account is worth it or not. 
  2. The key on gilding is not power, oddly enough. Its about gold. I think it is a much better idea to gild a shard that has like 22 upgrades and costs over 1M to upgrade, then something that only costs like 100K to max out. Gild the most expensive shards that you use on your primary defenses first. Then you will have less gold to spend on each cycle. 
  3. You lose almost everything. If you are a collector - know that going in. Many of us still think the cost is too high currently, and TE has said they are looking at it. It is likely this system will get tweaked in a future update, so whether or not you should do it before or after this possible update - is up to you. The key is - just have fun. 

I'm aware of the WM nerf on the MOD "Shocking revelation," were there more nerfs to the tower as a whole? Currently I do not have that mod and have been satisfied with the direction my WM have been going. 

However I'm not a fan with my build diversity because currently I am very very very short on having the ideal shards for most of my towers. This is something I need to invest more time into, but do I really if I plan on doing ancient power resets as often as possible?

WM was nerfed (stun went form 5 sec --> 1 sec), but it still has a lot of power. With SR in it, i can hold a lane down with no barricade and kill everything. It is still very useful, and is a possible tower to use on your 65 climb.  I would consider getting one and setting it up, before it gets nerfed again. 

Get those shards!!!!! Shards and MODs are what break this game open. Without them, your efficiencies will get crushed, and things will simply take much longer to do. Pick those 4-5 defenses i told you to focus on, and ensure those towers at least have the best shards and MODs you can get on them. Then you cans just slice through the enemies like a hot knife through butter. 

That list was a very rough look at my builders and not too accurate but its good to know there's a lot of heros that do well for the role they are required for depending on the mob. In what type of lanes can I expect to use something like Proton Beams?

Currently I have a boost monk + pet burst as my dps.  

Best use of PB that i have sued them for is dealing with Zerks. Ensure your PB has the Frosty Beams shard, and then put one across the spawn point of any lane with a Zerk problem, and it will help a lot. Focus on the freeze, not the damage. 

I have since my original post farmed up the points to buy the dryad (with mystic now in my sights). 

So after reading this I scrapped some of my hero pool to make a dedicated Dryad for hornets and one for World Trees. 

Nice, she will do you very good for resets. I have 3 myself, one for slimes as well.  Instead of a nimbus one, i like a Monk SGT instead as the 4th for air support, although well placed bees can deal with all air issues. 

iNeedMana: PDT: {No mods, no shards} (currently not in use)

iNeedLove: LSA: {Melee Boom, Anti-Melee, Shards: {Def Rate, Deadly Strikes, CritDmg}}

This guy also serves as my DPS nuke monk

iNeedJuice: EST: {Shatter Quake,Shards: {Power Transfer, CritDmg, Vamp. Empower}}

iNeedMoney: Ramsters: {No mods, no shards} (currently not in use)

iNeedEnergy: WM: {melee-boom, Shards: {Extra nodes, attack rate, power transfer}}

iNeedMental: SGT: {CC servo, Shards: {Def rate, Destruction}}

iNeedBroccoli: World Tree: {no mods, Shards: {Fortification, Deadly Strikes}}

iNeedWater: Hornet Nest: {Melee boom, crit rate, crit dmg, Shards: {destruction, def rate, crit dmg}}

This is more accurate pool of my current deck. My mods are yellow or better and these guys can do c7 easy but they're not optimized to my liking yet. 

PDT is a must have for Onslaught as dealing with Controlled Burns lanes is WAAAAAY easier with a well built PDT. Add Explosive Poison shard to it to for max effect. 

On you LSA, consider add MODs for Miniboss damage, and Melee or Chaos damage. It will help with those huge HOP spikes you see in bosses and Zerks. I would take the Melee boom off, just because i think it does not add as much as the ones i just mentioned. 

Ramsters are extremely helpful, but since we got the piercing MOD, they are not as necessary as before. Anything with a piercing MOD can replace them now, but they still pack a huge punch. I have changed mine into a tower fro frost lanes by adding fire and frost MODs to it for way more punch. Frost lanes are an issue in later Onslaught floors, so having one tower specially equipped to deal with them is not a bad idea. 

SGT - add Deadly Strikes ASAP. Air towers need range to whittle down packs. Also add anti-ranged MOD. 

Finally, I want to talk ascension. I get the first few points of each tree but what general guidelines do you follow once the gambit takes more power than you get from the defense tree?

The key to AP points, to me at least, is specialization. I never make hybrid heroes. I put every single point and once of power i can into one focus. I have 3 DPS heroes, and all the rest specialize in a single tower. 

For your tower heroes - focus on power for that one tower. Really pour a lot of points into the middle category all into power, and do not touch tower health until power is maxed out. Unless it is your barricade hero, then do the opposite and focus all on health until that is maxed out. Never ever put your gambit points ahead of your middle column power spend. Range is not so important that you should ever nerf your own power. If you have more points to spend in that third column, but it will nerf the tower, just don't spend them yet. Eventually you will get enough power points in the middle to outweigh the full gambit cost, so just take your time. Also consider that the DS shard is so good (and we also have range MODs now as well), you may not want the gambit, and may want the power instead. 

Hope that helps. 

Okay so I've been listening to you and now I'm starting to jump into onslaught and there's a few mechanics I don't quite understand. The first being frost enemies, these guys have been over running at first but I have been countering them with flame ramsters (working really well). However I have problems with control burn frost lanes as these lanes take up so much DU, I use 2 ramsters for the frost and currently EV2 WM with stun mod and tenacity mod (both max green). 

What are good ways to handle control burn lanes on their own, as well as frost enemies with control burn? 

-PDTs seem to be good here but right now mine aren't too strong, maybe I can make a slime dryad? 

What are the mechanics of frost enemies? They seem to freeze my nodes? 

My most commonly used towers are the following: 

-trees because I don't have mystic walls I have been using them as blockades.

-hornets have my strongest shards,mods,and relic on them. I use them on cyborcs lanes in well hidden areas and just place them where I feel defenses are weak. 

-WM for basic lanes with no cyborcs, these babies have been able to solely handle with just one tree. 

-PDTs have been my main use on control burn lanes along with WM I rely heavily on WM stuns but pdts are more like insurance in case cyborcs are in my control burn lanes. 

-ramsters are my go to anti-frost. If there's a frost enemy then there's a ramsters and if there's only frost then I'll use multiple ramsters (3 max per lane). 

-LSA are my smite towers used to weed out any mobs that make it to my blockades. (I have another relic for "anti-fly" with this tower but it's experimental). 

-SGT this tower speaks for itself. If

I'm still not sure what I'm doing in onsluaght so making new characters, adjusting towers, and any advise helps. 

You got it. i'll do my best, but always keep in mind that much of the info for this game is spread by word of mouth and trial and error, both of which are fraught with "telephone game" answers and poor conclusions based on limited sample sizes, so there is always a chance something that one of us has always believed to be true - is so totally wrong. Take everything with a grain of salt. Or even a boulder of salt, LOL. That being said, let's jump in. 

@ViR-GiN-iA quote:

Okay so I've been listening to you and now I'm starting to jump into onslaught and there's a few mechanics I don't quite understand. The first being frost enemies, these guys have been over running at first but I have been countering them with flame ramsters (working really well). However I have problems with control burn frost lanes as these lanes take up so much DU, I use 2 ramsters for the frost and currently EV2 WM with stun mod and tenacity mod (both max green). 

Frost lanes suck. The game springs them on you around floor 50 and the only practice you get is the C7 incursion. It is weird to me as the Chaos levels do such a good job of introducing one unit at a time for you, so you get to learn how they work. Then in Onslaught, at some point that idea goes out the window and frost mobs show up and then lava guardians too. WTH? Keep in mind too, that i kind of despise Onslaught, so i am not a master at that mode, and others on this site may have way better advice for you. But i can give some tips that will help you. 

Ramsters are very popular to deal with frost lanes. Hopefully you have a DS shard in them, and use their range to attack from afar, so no snowballs or frost auras get to you. Rate is very important too, so ensure that shard is on. Destruction would make a good third. With a few MODs, you can take your Ramster even further. 1) add fire attack MOD to it. Frost mobs are weak to it and will take double damage. 2) Add "frost damage" MOD that does extra damage to frost mobs. Nuff said right? And for the 3rd MOD i would either use the Ramster specific MOD that adds fire damage for time, or use the Frost Explosion MOD. Either will be very helpful. That should add enough power to tackle those. Rate/Power would work too. 

Remember that placement of your towers matters greatly too. 

What are good ways to handle control burn lanes on their own, as well as frost enemies with control burn? 

-PDTs seem to be good here but right now mine aren't too strong, maybe I can make a slime dryad? 

CB lanes suck almost as much as frost ones do. Together - that is just not right, LOL. The key to CB lanes is understating what will allow damage to happen. With frost, you also lose a whole way - as i don't think you can freeze a frost unit, so no freeze attacks help any more if frosties are there. This means you must rely on stun, slow, and poison. Position and the PDT are a great mix. Add rate, range, and piercing MODs to it, then for shards - rate, range, and Explosive Poison. The key with some towers, to me at least, is to focus on what you want to do. With PDT, i want to give enemies poison status, and i am not trying to kill them with the PDT. So i only pout shards and MODs on that make the likelihood of getting poison as likely as possible. Once poisoned, you can use of your power towers to kill them off (i.e. Ramster). 

So a good tactic - place a couple PDTs down, usually best to concentrate in a small area rather then spread them out,  then you want to spread the poison (which should happen on its won), and finally have your power towers clean up. Frost and CB lanes usually require more DU, so see if you can shave some off another lane and use it here. If CB and frost - you might expect to DPS support they lane the whole time. 

What are the mechanics of frost enemies? They seem to freeze my nodes? 

Most of the units work the same. They are immune to freeze attacks, take double damage from fire attacks, and anything they attack (aggro like the reg unit does) will become "frozen", which means it will still work, but at a greatly reduced speed. 2 exceptions - the Cyborc looking Frost Orc freezes with an aura, not an attack, so anything within its aura's range, which includes your nodes, will get frozen. Only way to deal with this is to attack from range. Your PDTs and Ramsters should have no issue with that though if placed right and have range shards and MODs on. Also, there is a frost boss (big Snowman/Yeti looking dude) and it throws snowballs as ranged attack, and anything that hits will also get frozen. Fun times... 

My most commonly used towers are the following: 

-trees because I don't have mystic walls I have been using them as blockades.

-hornets have my strongest shards,mods,and relic on them. I use them on cyborcs lanes in well hidden areas and just place them where I feel defenses are weak. 

-WM for basic lanes with no cyborcs, these babies have been able to solely handle with just one tree. 

-PDTs have been my main use on control burn lanes along with WM I rely heavily on WM stuns but pdts are more like insurance in case cyborcs are in my control burn lanes. 

-ramsters are my go to anti-frost. If there's a frost enemy then there's a ramsters and if there's only frost then I'll use multiple ramsters (3 max per lane). 

-LSA are my smite towers used to weed out any mobs that make it to my blockades. (I have another relic for "anti-fly" with this tower but it's experimental). 

-SGT this tower speaks for itself. 

Squire has great Walls too. Spiked Wall works great as a Wall. I only use trees if i use Bees and slimes. Main reason is that the tree is very narrow, and enemies will go around it. Plus it has less health than other walls. 

Yeah, the hornets rock and you can get A LOT out of them. They can even be your main anti-air def if done right. 

WM - if done right, only needs a slight power attack with it, and you can hold a lane with only that. I can AFK C7 with a WM/LSA/FA on each lane. No upgrades even, or walls. Only have to help kill Rollers. 

LSAs are great for killing a single high HP enemy. Mine melt any boss down t puddles in seconds. They do not handle mobs well though, so use an AOE attack with it like a FA to thin out the herd, and then the LSA kills anything that make sit out. I always put mine near my wall, so anything attacking my wall, dies quickly. 

SGT - with the right shards and MODs, you should not need any other DEF to handle air really, apart from mutator issues. 

I hope any of that helps. i am sure you will have questions, so fire away. Sharkman_insane.png