Sign in to follow this  
Fozzie

Power Transfer

This used to be "The Shard" and now it's junk?

Is there anything Trendy are going to do to re-evaluate the change that was made to this shard?

Or am I missing something, but it looks like it is just plain dog poop now.

I know many people farmed their guts out to get them.

Yeah, the def power loss makes it very unappealing. Plus - to have a good crit build, you need to build Def power and Crit, and this makes that harder. In the efforts to nerf it a little, it kind of got bushwhacked into junk. TBH i think it needs  Def power boost to be viable. 

The problem with the current iteration is that it is too binary. It's simply a flat damage number, and currently this number is just straight up worse than other options, so it's 100% useless. The previous version was the opposite, being better in 99% of cases.

I'd like to see the trade off shift to another area, like maybe range, to become an actual trade-off and choice instead of simply being +damage.

Critical system needs some balance to be useful. But there was a ton of power creep this patch, so most people aren't complaining. 

It's Power Transfer and we ground it out so it should be worth having.

Anything that puts a big red mark on your DPS just doesn't cut it.

Give it a little range buff, a little rate buff and a little crit damage buff but no reduction to DP.

that'd be fine if crit system was balanced in the next few patches. PT got upgraded to different shards/mods that are way better. so what?  Not everything can be best in slot.

Assuming they tailor their design decisions around Fozzie's complaints. Next patch drops "Destruction is now worse than PT." 

Fozzie complains," OMG, I had to grind for those destructions. Make Destructions best in slot again"

@BeerGoggles quote:

that'd be fine if crit system was balanced in the next few patches. PT got upgraded to different shards/mods that are way better. so what?  Not everything can be best in slot.

Assuming they tailor their design decisions around Fozzie's complaints. Next patch drops "Destruction is now worse than PT." 

Fozzie complains," OMG, I had to grind for those destructions. Make Destructions best in slot again"

You forgot to mention waka waka

If you don't feedback nothing gets done. I'm surprised how little was said about it.

If Trendy had taken notice of half the stuff I had mentioned over the years the game would be in a lot healthier state, but this update easily the pick of the bunch.

I stopped grinding PT as soon as they stated the crit changes , it was obvious the shard was not going to best in slot a long time ago, but that's just me. 

Everyone was grinding the same shards like nothing was changing so they can gild it , knowing the entire base of crit was changing.

That being said it could be changed to be at least useful in some manner.

People aren't really complaining because if you had 5 power transfers then you probably also had  the 2  destruction shards required to crush content you were struggling with before.  The meta changed.  The critical system also needs some balance.  But your "feedback" is usually less than constructive

@Fozzie quote:

If you don't feedback nothing gets done. I'm surprised how little was said about it.

If Trendy had taken notice of half the stuff I had mentioned over the years the game would be in a lot healthier state, but this update easily the pick of the bunch.

Right now, our two options are: A) defense power; and B) crits. As long as they both do a quantifiable amount of damage, it will always require a simple math problem to determine the right choice. 

The correct answer used to be: CRITS. And power transfer was gold. Currently, the answer is: DEFENSE POWER.  And the shard is rather lackluster. 

I wish that crits did not compete with regular hits in terms of damage. Instead, make them apply an effect of some sort.  This could be a status effect, condition, elemental combo, debuff, etc. 

I think this would allow a real choice and give shards like power transfer value. 

I personally feel fine with it. Is it perfect? No, but almost nothing ever really is in this game, it's gone too far into its coding to be able to effectively get things perfect. But I have no problems with the shard. I mean, it trades out 10% DP for a +30% to do at least 50% more damage. Now I know with math, the nerfing DP by 10% essentially turns the 50% damage boost into more of a ... roughly 40-45% over all damage number on the dummy increase, but it is still technically more damage number when it procs. I see it as a means to push Crit Rate to 100% with less shard/mod slot requirement so you can put something else in there, like if you were making a ... idk .. just giving random example here ... Flamethrower. Now flamethrower, for some builds, does have other mods/shards that it could use to make it shine. Like say you wanted a crit Flamethrower tower that can support my fav arc lightning spam build, so you need Mark Targets shard on it. Power Transfer can help with that more than the regular CR shard for 15% more CR. This way you get your crit build flamethrower AND can utilize them to mark everything for you so you can be like "Arc Lightning Spam!" and zap all da baddies with amazing output lol

So in my eyes, Power Transfer still has it's handy uses, it's just not a "OMG you HAVE to have this! In EVERYTHING! :O :O :O" shard anymore, it feels more balanced out vs most of the other shards in the game now lol

Game feels more about, building for whatever crazy style you wanna try for. It really helps challenge the mind, finding new ways to make things work.

There is nothing wrong with Power Transfer not being best-in-slot anymore.   The problem with the current version of the shard is that, compared to practically any other shard, its now the worst-in-slot.   A difference in damage isn't that significant if the shard is giving the choice between a DP build and a crit build.    The problem is that it trades consistent tower damage in exchange for a chance to do noticeably less damage than the tower's base damage without any alternative shards equipped.   In other words, I could justify the use of a shard with slightly less damage if I wanted to use a crit build but I can not justify nerfing a CVII tower into a CV tower just to use a high crit chance build.  

If the trade-off was more crit damage in exchange for DP then the shard would be useful, but trading DP for crit chance makes it almost completely useless.  

Regardless, it doesn't matter if Power Transfer is useless because the Destruction shard now provides a similar increase in damage to what the old version of Power Transfer use to provide. [Destruction is probably a better "best-in-slot" shard anyway, since it drops in CI compared to doping in CIV] .

leave power transfer as it is, make it synergise with SOMETHING ELSE that makes criticals desirable

Harvester's Servo - Critical hits that kill a target deal [40-100%] chance to drop a  green mana crystal

Executioner's Servo - Critical hits that overkill a target deal [40-100%] the remaining damage added to the next hit

Overdrive Servo - Critical hits have a [40-100%] chance to add a charge of overdrive. When 100 charges are reached the defense grows in size and its attack rate is increased by 40% and its range is increased by 20%. Overdrive lasts until the end of the wave

The problem with power transfer is that it's mathematically worse than destruction in basically all realistic scenario's, no matter how you build it.

Destruction adds 34% damage, which also directly affects critical damage, while power transfer lowers damage but adds 30% crit chance. The problem here is destruction has two positives, while power transfer has both a positive and a negative.

Just some math to point out the issue in case you were curious, let's assume we have a tower that hits for 100k, we have basic builder ascension, and add destruction or power transfer:

Destruction:
134,000 damage
30% crit chance
50% crit damage (201,000)
Average of 154,100 damage per shot.

Power Transfer:
90,000 damage
60% crit chance
50% crit damage  (135,000)
Average of 117,000 damage per shot.

Now of course, you could say "Well you didn't build for crit so of course it's worse!" but let's do it again, this time we'll add a crit damage shard (20%) and a max (33%) crit damage servo.

Destruction:
134,000 damage
30% crit chance
103% crit damage (272,020)
Average of 175,406 damage per shot.

Power Transfer:
90,000 damage
60% crit chance
103% crit damage (182,700)
Average of 145,620 damage per shot.

So you can see, it's just... Not worth it. Any crit damage build is immediately better replacing PT with des, you would need around 250-300% crit damage (good luck with that) before PT becomes better than des.

PT right now is just an unusable shard, either it needs the negative power removed and the crit chance buffed in order to compete, or crits themselves need to be more desired outside of just simply increasing damage for a single hit.

[[171730,users]] thanks for the mathematics.

No-one is asking it gets back its must have status, what we all wanted was that there was more balance with towers and shards and mods.

What we currently have is not balanced.

As BG says there is power creep and this was the worst thing that happened in DDE, and DD1.

Trendy needs to do a balance pass on Shocking Revelation, Tenacity and some of the shards, PT being one.

It is going in the right direction but tweaked down somewhat to bring back the feeling of challenge.

You can't just tweak down Shocking Revelation if Hornets and PDTs still do obscene damage.

Once you have a decent Piercer servo you can slap down PDTs and GG, you can slap down Hornets and GG.

At the moment Shocking Rev just adds that insane aoe stun.

honestly, i find when building for a crit tower, dont pt in DCD until you have nothing else to put in. Getting your Crit Chance as high as possible first is the way to go. That way it makes your damage boost from critical hits more reliable and consistant, which increases your dps more than just stacking on DCD first. Cause what good is the DCD if you arent proccing it enough? lol