Sign in to follow this  
ram1024

Rollerskate and HangGlider Kobolds are poorly designed

every year i'm gonna tell you guys again, kobolds should only target walls and cores.  the whole point of the kobold sapper is, if you let it get near its target, it will deal tons of damage

your COUNTERPLAY to this guy, is to engage it far away

no counterplay exists if you engage it "far away" and it immediately divebombs and kills your towers in 1 hit

FWIW, I enjoyed the challenge of the exploding enemies. When I get a little nervous about some dive-bombers, I put a blockade in front of the towers. Or I fiddle around with placement to get my towers out of line of site. And I certainly make good use of auras and traps to bait the little flying devils. 

I enjoy these mobs. I hope they stay as is. 

so you have to exploit bad programming and glitches and faulty mechanics or massively overlevel the content to beat them

sounds like good design

@ram1024 quote:

so you have to exploit bad programming and glitches and faulty mechanics or massively overlevel the content to beat them

sounds like good design

Where exactly do you see glitches, bad programing or faulty mechanics with regard to Kobolds?   Taking advantage of enemy AI is pat of how you decide where to place your towers.    Lets look at how Kobold enemies function....

Flying Kobolds have a specific angle that they use to dive-bomb towers and you can build your defenses to take advantage of that [such as placeing barricades in front of a tower or core].

Kobolts target Obelisks over any other tower, which means that you can place Obelisks to prevent them from stunning your defenses.  

Kobolds start a suicide run after first taking damage, so you place barricades for them to blow up on or use adamage to kill them before they blow up.

All of the above mentioned behavior appears to be intend and is always consistent.

@ram1024 quote:

no counterplay exists if you engage it "far away" and it immediately divebombs and kills your towers in 1 hit

Your solutions to Flying Kobolds performing a 1 hit KO on your towers are;

1) increase the range of your tower 

-Provides enough range to kill the Kobolds before they hit

2) increase the damage of your tower  

-Allows you to kill the Kobolds before they hit

3) increase you tower's Defense Health stat

-Allows the tower to survive from being hit by a Kobold

4) Change the locations that you place your anti-air towers

-You can make use of your existing barricades (on some maps) to intercept Flying Kobolds

5) Put a barricade in the path of the Flying Kobold  

-Stops your anti-air tower from taking damage

6) Build more anit-air towers

-Provides more damage to kill Kobolds (and all air) faster

7) Use a non-tower type of defense to kill the Flying Kobolds (such as auras)  

-You can use auras/nodes to kill all air enemies on about 85-90% of the maps

8) Use nodes to cause the Flying Kobolds to dive bomb the ground (tends to work well with proton nodes)

-Flying Kobolds like to dive bomb nodes...so take advantage of it

9) Upgrade a frost tower with a shard to freeze its targets (works well for all flyers)

-Self explanatory?

All of the above options can be used by themselves or in combination with each other when building to counter Flying Kobolds.   So, I would say that there is clearly plenty of "counterplay" when you engage the Flying Kobolds far away (or at all).   All you have to do is adjust your tower placement (or your tower choice) and Flying Kobolds are not even  a concern.

1) increase the range of your tower  

-i have STUPID range on my tower, it doesn't matter because once that kobold hits 70% of his health, he's divebombing the ENTIRE REMAINING DISTANCE basically instantly

2) increase the damage of your tower   

-like i said, overleveling the content

3) increase you tower's Defense Health stat 

-absorbing the absolute massive damage of bombers and repairing is untenable. good your tower lived, bad you're paying attention to the thing and wasting resources on it

4) Change the locations that you place your anti-air towers

-inconsistent, not counterplay

5) Put a barricade in the path of the Flying Kobold   

-splash damage is a thing

6) Build more anit-air towers

-like i said, overleveling the content. at the point where you can spare TWO anti air towers to cover the lane and taking DU off other places, you're already ahead of the content you're tackling. and sometimes 2 skyguards just means 2 dead skyguards because place them close together they die together, place them apart and one of them hits one kobold, the other hits another one and then they both die. are you suggesting FOUR skyguards?

7) Use a non-tower type of defense to kill the Flying Kobolds (such as auras)   

-85% of the maps you must be joking. unless you're using deadlystrikes AND viciousstrikes

8) Use nodes to cause the Flying Kobolds to dive bomb the ground (tends to work well with proton nodes)

-glitch or bad programming

9) Upgrade a frost tower with a shard to freeze its targets (works well for all flyers)

-inconsistent, not counterplay

I dunno , i don't get it been playing over a year and never had issue with them , my Sky guard take them out easy and i just have deadly strike on them. 

I don't see it sorry.

I must be playing same game as uzar, never had a problem with them. Ive used skyguards, pdts, clouds, hailstorm towers even large flame auras and easily taken them out. Used clouds and skygaurds when climbing onslaught pre proteon patch. Current patch pdts crush air lanes.

I'm in the same boat as uzar and Nigiri_Toro. I don't have any problems with any of the kobolds on any regular basis. Sometimes maybe the Koboltz ch7 enemies end up hitting me or my AA towers. But, that only happens when I have poor placements or I am trying out a new build (which goes back to poor placement).

All of my gear is ch7, but not all of my medallions are level 10/10. The thing about Flying kobolds flying into Proton beams I am pretty sure is not a bug. Bad programming? debatable. Either way, It's a great strategy to use proton beams or even oil geysers to bait them.

@ram1024 quote:

every year i'm gonna tell you guys again, kobolds should only target walls and cores.  the whole point of the kobold sapper is, if you let it get near its target, it will deal tons of damage

your COUNTERPLAY to this guy, is to engage it far away

These modes are the answer to your problems

https://imgur.com/a/CntS2xF

There is also another mode i forgot the name but it decreases the duration of negetive effects on towers because i know these flying kobalds also stun towers if they dont destroy it/

I, too, have no problem with kobolds. They're not much of a big deal. A combo of rams and cannonballs is already a good counter.

Used to resent them kobolts but after a bunch of update. I'm now cool with them.

So yeah, I'm on the same page with Uzar, Nigiri_Toro, and Big_D_N_Lil_J

The only time I have an issue with them is when my placement sucks.

That said, towers don't target flying kobolds as quickly as they do other flying foe. But again, placement resolves this for me.

This thread is hilarious. 

Summary thus far: OP "I keep failing maps... What's trendy doing wrong?" 

Community: "just do this easy thing."

OP: "no"

"just do this easy thing" is telling me to exploit the game, or telling me to do things that have already failed for me

so yeah i'm telling you "that doesn't work" not "no"