Sign in to follow this  
uzar

Shard Thoughts

So power transfer, crit chance , crit damage all seem to not be worth the use anymore or at least i can't seem to find a use.

Current sought after shards are Destruction , Rate , Range for the most part ( even with mod counter parts ). There doesn't seem to be an upside for crit that doesn't reduce Power or Rate which give great bonus dps to Defenses.

Removing the negative power from power transfer might make it more useful but I cant find a combination to actually use it.

I am still looking for a defense that a 100% crit chance, damage would be useful with the reduction in rate and power  that it would require.

The crit system doesn't really work because you can't get enough critical hit damage to make it worth it. 

If you could get chd into 200-500% then people would spec into crit system builds

This is likely why TE split crit from the get go. You only have room for a couple stats/shards/MODs, and you can choose only a few things to increase. Crit requires 2-3 things to increase in order to be good - Power, chance, and crit dmg - not to mention rate. All of which leaves no room for things like range and passives. 

I think what we really need are things like PT, but instead of giving a neg power bump - it could have a positive one instead. We need a shard that increased DEF power and Crit power/chance at the same time. 

MODs have not really helped in replacing stats very well since level 1-4 are tiny stats, and level 5's drop like diamonds. The % increase ones are great, but the static stat ones are super low in value, and do not scale or get any better, whereas the % ones are always valid and helpful. A 34% stat increase completely blows a static 5K stat bump out of the water. Or maybe i am not understanding the static MODs well, so feel free to explain if i have that wrong. 

I think a few shard changes can get Crit back up as something worth building for. Right now it seems like it is taking a backseat to the action. 

I really wish MODs could come off and on as easily as shards do, because it makes testing MODs incredibly difficult and expensive. Sucks when you get a great one and add it to your layout, only to see a message that it is in invalid for your hero/tower. Not only do you not get that bonus for that hero, but since you cannot remove it either, no one else can then get it.  With no guide on the front end about what works for who, it leaves some room for improvement... 

So, Even if power transfer did -10% power, 50% crit chance, 500% critical hit damage, it would still be less of a damage increase than using a rate shard. 

I have also spent a long time tinkering in vain to find a useful crit build.  

In the short run, crit damage needs a significant boost. Without much number crunching, I am thinking base crit damage would have to begin at around 100%. And it would have to scale up a few hundred percent more before it paid off in terms of investment over other shards and mods.  

But in the long run, I would love it if crits felt different.  What if landing a critical hit didn’t “do more damage”?  What if it had an effect?  Just off the top of my head, maybe a crit on a little mob, like a goblin, was an auto kill.  While a crit on a miniboss weakened them or slowed them or reduced their armor or prevented them from doing their AoE stomp or (insert status effect here).  

Right now, our two options are: A) defense power; and B) crits. As long as they both do a quantifiable amount of damage, it will always require a simple math problem to determine the right choice. So, I am suggesting that crits do not compete with regular hits in terms of damage. Instead, make them apply an effect of some sort.  

Again, I realize this is not a short term goal.  I am just wishfully suggesting.  

@SELL SW0RD quote:

Right now, our two options are: A) defense power; and B) crits. As long as they both do a quantifiable amount of damage, it will always require a simple math problem to determine the right choice. So, I am suggesting that crits do not compete with regular hits in terms of damage. Instead, make them apply an effect of some sort.  

Again, I realize this is not a short term goal.  I am just wishfully suggesting.  

I never understood the idea of a primary crit stat on Towers in DD2.
It always seemed like either building for crit = more dps or crit = lower dps.
The way crit is now seems more like a bonus damage that exists because TE didn't want to delete it.
Tbh. I'm completly fine with how crit is atm but deleting it wouldn't be that big of a difference right now aswell.

I like the idea of added bonus effects on crit.
You could put element procs as crit effects meaning a crit on a flamethrower ignites the enemy.
Lightning Auras electrocute on crit, Canonballs stun on crit, etc.
It would make those % chance on hit shards something implemented in the tower already without us needing to farm them.
Obviously Crit chance and element procs would need to be tweeked.

if i go crit, which i dont mind now with this new crit system, i mostly forgo crit dmg shards/mods, cause with ascension, that's +50% dmg, that's a pretty sexy boost.

So ill pretty much use a CR shard, like teh standard +15%, and then maybe 2 CR mods, like standard just +%CR and then either Unique CR servo if im using a 1 of a kind defense, or Diverse CR servo if i got it surrounded by other towers, like a boost aura for more CR and its pretty nice slow. That's around 75%+ CR right there, not counting if the MODS are Lv5 green cause those be RARE lol

Could push 100%CR if you did get Lv5 green CR mods and build right. And with that, you have basically a garaunteed +50%defense power at all times without any mods/shards that trade out DP for crit stuff lol

Would love to find Lv5 green CR mods for my Split Viper tower on my mystic *o*

or a Lv5 Unique CR mod for volcano/obelisk lol

also tempted to build adepts Flamethrower for crit since Range shards/mods are essentially worthless on it. It reaches max range at such a pathetically short range. Just ascension alone feels like it caps it out. So not hard to give up a range shard/mod for crit stuff on that thing >,> lol