Sign in to follow this  
Jaws_420

Beginner's Guide to Tinkering MODs

As title suggests, this is for anyone who is completely new to this new game function. I want to give you an outline of just the basics, so that you get how to incorporate this new feature into your gameplay. I found this topic confusing at first, so i hope this will help lay out the basics. I am not going to get into this too deep or list the MODs out. If any of this is incorrect, please (politely) let me know and i will happily update it. Feel free to add as well. 

Chips/MODs/Tinkering - Definitions

Chips/Servos -  the attribute itself found on gear (i.e. armor, weapons, and relics). On armor and weapons they are called chips, and on Relics they are called servos. For the sake of simplicity, i will simply refer to them all as chips for the rest of this guide. They come in a variety of types and strengths depending on what chaos tier you are on when you generated the gear item, and of course the dreaded RNG gods. 

MODs - these are the actual attributes/passives/stats that the chips give you. There are multiple types of MODs from general ones, to specific hero/tower ones. They can be for heroes (gear or weapons) or defenses, and they do not transfer across types. Pets have no MODs or chips. 

Tinkering - this is a shop you must visit, where you can move chips from one piece of gear to another, and apply MODs to other gear. 

How does it work?

Begin by simply playing the game. As you collect gear, that gear will have chips on them with various MODs. Only ever one MOD per a chip. You do not need to do anything special to get the gear or the vast majority of MODs. 

Gear quality will determine how many chips it has when dropped. Legendary gear will have two chips, Purple and Blue will have one chip, and all gear below that will have none. 

Chip/MOD Quality

MODs come at random levels of quality from level 1 to level 5. they are represented two ways - by color and a little vertical meter with 5 slots on it. Level 1 is red with only 1 dash at the bottom. Level 5 is green with all 5 slots filled in. The stats get better and better as the level increases, and it does not appear to increase equally - meaning that the last level gives a way bigger bonus than the first 4 levels (i.e. approx 3-5% incr per level 1-4, 110% incr at level 5). That makes level 5 chips extremely valuable, at any chaos tier, and that also means levels 1-4 are almost equal in strength. I seems a poor use of materials to swap out an existing shard for another unless you are replacing it with a level 5 one.  

NOTE - you cannot adjust the level of a MOD. Once generated, it will always be that level. The only way to improve the level, is to find a better one. You can increase the tier it is on though through evolution, which will make it stronger. 

A level 5 chip is extremely valuable. So valuable - that you may consider keeping all level 5 green chips you find. Through evolution, you can raise then to the C7 tier. Whether its faster or easier to find level 5 C7 chips naturally or raise a lower tier green level 5 chip to C7 through evolution -  has yet to be determined. The estimate drop rate seems to be about 1/1000, so they are VERY rare. 

Chips come at the tier of the gear they are on. So if you have a piece of C3 gear, you will only find C3 chips on them. Higher tiers of the same chip will be stronger. So a C7 chip of the exact same MOD as a C3 chip (i.e. a level 2 MOD) will be higher in value, even though they are the same level. 

Keep in mind there is a balance between level and quality. A level 5 C6 MOD is likely much higher in value then a level 1 C7 MOD, so tier is not everything. You can put lower tier chips on a piece of higher chaos gear (but not the other way around). The game will give you a warning about it though. In the long run, i would never put a lower chaos tier MOD on a higher piece of gear, because you could evolve it before you attach it and make it even stronger. If you attach a lower tier MOD, you are stuck with it or have to replace it. If you go through all the trouble and cost of evolving though - save it for chips at level 4-5. 

MODs drop independent of any hero factors involving who you are playing with, who is in your deck, or who you have unlocked. They all drop equally regardless of applicability to any hero.  All MODs have equal drop rates. Chaos tiers do affect what drops though. As you go up each tier, more MODs are possible to drop on gear. A set amount exists available at Chaos 1 in a pool, and more MODs are added to that pool at each tier you go up. All MODs available at each tier also have all MODs from lower levels also possible (but not above). The best place to farm a specific MOD is the tier it shows up on, as the pool it could come from is the smallest (not that we know what tiers drop which  MODS yet), so the MOD has the highest possible drop rate. Actually they all have equal drop rates, but the possible MOD pool is smaller on a lower tier, so the drop rate for each is technically equal but larger because the pool is smaller. At the top tier - every MOD has an equal chance to drop (well, except AP reset MODs of course). 

Evolving

if you have a MOD on a piece of gear, and then you evolve that gear, all MODs on that gear will have their tiers upped by 1. So if you have a piece of C5 gear with a C5 chip on it, when you evolve the gear to C6 - both the gear and the chip will advance to C6. If you have a lower chip (i.e. C5 gear with a C4 chip), then the lower chip will only advance by one on the evolution (C5 gear with a C4 chip evolved will become a C6 gear with a C5 chip). Evolution does have a cost to do. 

Tinkering

By using the shop in the tavern/town, you can move chips around and apply MODs from one piece of gear to another. You cannot improve the level of any MOD (although you can evolve their chaos tier higher), but you can transfer them. 

Ideally you should try to focus your farming goals on the top chaos tier you can access. While you can still get chips on lower tiers, they will likely not be as strong. Equal level chips will be stronger as you go up chaos tiers. However, the dreaded RNG always plays a factor as to the MOD level. 

When you have a piece of gear you want to keep and to start tinkering it, go to the shop. There will be two boxes shown to you. On the right-hand side is the gear you want to put the chip onto - the one you are keeping. On the left-hand side is the gear you are removing the chips from - the one that will be destroyed afterwards. 

The piece of gear you remove the chips from will be consumed in this process. So anything on it will be lost when the tinkering is done. If it has more than 1 chip you like on it, you have to extract them all at the same time, or it will be lost. You get nothing from the lost gear when it is scrapped. Only the gear you are keeping, with the new chips, will remain when the tinkering is done. 

You can only move chips from the same type to another (i.e. boot MODs go to other boot MODs). You cannot move a weapon MOD to a piece of armor or a relic. You can put hero specific MODs on a hero apart from the one it is intended for, but that is silly as it does absolutely NOTHING for you to do this. So ensure to look at the MOD description to see if it has a limitation. 

You cannot stack weapon MODs. Armor MODs can be stacked, but they have to be on separate pieces of gear. You cannot stack Relic MODs. 

Some MODs work for some heroes but not others (a general use MOD, not hero specific). Unlike gear though, the MOD will not tell you which hero classes it works for ahead of time. The only way to know this (apart from learning it on the forums before you do it) is when you put the MOD on the gear, it will say under the MOD description a little red text along the lines of "this does not apply to this hero" or something like that. If that happens, best to simply replace and lose that MOD, as there is no way to get it back off. Be mindful of this as you will then lose that MOD. The MODs in this category so far seem to be ones about filling the ability meter, as this most likely correlates to the fact that some heroes do not use "ability meters", but have their own unique system (i.e. Mystic/LM/Barbarian/EV2/GW/Dryad). 

Materials - Cost

Tinkering is not free. To use it you need - the gear you want to put the chip on, the gear you want to remove the chip from, and then you also need tinkering materials and payment. 

Payment - DMs or you can use gems. Cost goes up per each chaos tier. At C7 - 200 DMs. 

Materials - requires two types. One is a hammer looking item that allows you to tinker at all, and the other is something specific usually to that chaos tier and stage type (i.e. C7 Ruins). These materials are all chaos tier dependent, meaning that if you want to tinker a C7 piece of gear, you need to farm C7 stages first. If you farm C6 stages, you will never get any of the tinkering materials (apart from the gear with the chips on it) you need to tinker C7 gear. 

If you want to know where to find the materials specific to a certain tinkering, simply put your cursor over the material icon from the tinkering page and it will tell you, or look for the icons at the bottom of the screen when you are selecting stages from the war table. Tinkering materials drop on Onslaught and Expedition stages only. Most tinkering materials are specific to a singular stage type. 

For a single tinkering, you will need at least two hammers and three of the tinkering material. If you tinker more than one chip at the same time, the cost goes up for each one added, but the addition is less than doing one alone. I think it is a 50% increase if i remember right. 

Special MODs

Resetting through Ancient Power can get you special MODs that you cannot find anywhere else. From my understanding, when you reset in AP you are given a random new weapon. This is a new weapon skin type as well. It will be for any hero, despite who you have in your deck. That weapon, will have the special MOD on it. It can also be sold (as long as not modified). 

I think that is enough of the basics to at least get you started. Happy hunting with the RNG gods!!!!! Sharkman_insane.png

@Carrylex quote:

It's not always 200DM, just for C7 items (I think 50 for C1 or something).

But overall a good guide ! ;)

Thanks! Noted and changed. 

Another note should be that the quality isn't increasing linear. There is a huge gap between greenish yellow(4 bars) and green(5 bars). 

Example: Tenacity Servo C4[25,5-80%]; My 4 bars mod is at 34,5% while my green(5 bars) mod is at 70%. From level 1-4 the difference is only 9%, while the difference from level 4-5 is >35%.

@gokuby quote:

Another note should be that the quality isn't increasing linear. There is a huge gap between greenish yellow(4 bars) and green(5 bars). 

Example: Tenacity Servo C4[25,5-80%]; My 4 bars mod is at 34,5% while my green(5 bars) mod is at 70%. From level 1-4 the difference is only 9%, while the difference from level 4-5 is >35%.

Thanks. 

Have you checked that across multiple MODs yet? I only ask because if your sample size is only that one MOD, it's possible that other MODs have different scaling factors. Especially between weapons, gear, and relic MODs. 

it makes sense though in a way. Things get better and better as you go up. It also means though that a lower tier green should be more sought after than red/orange/yellow chips at tiers above them (to a degree). Those green chips are very valuable!!!! 

Maybe another note is even this - a green chip is so valuable, you may consider evolving it to keep its level. 

NOTE - i edited the guide to reflect your info  ; ) 

@MaJean quote:

Nice work on this:)

Much thanks. A starting point at least. I am sure we will learn a heck of a lot more in the weeks to come. 

I only managed to get two 5 bar MODS yet, but for those the scaling is pretty similar. I have one green 4 bar MOD "Healthy Power Chip"[2940-4970] which bonus is 4340. At 3 bars(yellow) it's at 3270.

Also one yellow 4 bar "Support-Boom Servo"[11,83-28,33%] with a bonus of 13,67%.

The scaling depends on the amount of bars but is most affected by the color. The jump from yellow to green is by far the biggest for all of my 3 examples, so I assume it's for everything.

1 bar: dark red<light red

2 bars: orange<yellow

3 bars: yellow only

4 bars: yellow<light green

5 bars: green

@Jaws_420 quote:

Special MODs

Resetting through Ancient Power can get you special MODs that you cannot find anywhere else. 

Can someone explain this part a bit? What can happen when you reset ancient power? Do the mods on your gear just all change or what? How do you just get special mods out of nothing? Or do you have a chance at getting special mods to drop after you have reset once?

@Vindicit quote:
@Jaws_420 quote:

Special MODs

Resetting through Ancient Power can get you special MODs that you cannot find anywhere else. 

Can someone explain this part a bit? What can happen when you reset ancient power? Do the mods on your gear just all change or what? How do you just get special mods out of nothing? Or do you have a chance at getting special mods to drop after you have reset once?

From my understanding, when you reset in AP you are given a random new weapon now. This is a new weapon skin type as well. It will be or any hero, despite who you have in your deck. That weapon, will have the special MOD on it. It can also be sold (as long as not modified). 

As to what happens to your existing MODs when you reset, i have not heard anything so i do not know. I would imagine they would keep their MOD level (i.e. 1-5), but devolve back to campaign tier strength. 

Question: Do specific MODs only drop in specific Chaos Tiers? I seem to get a lot of the same ones, and I thought maybe its because I'm grinding C7 Expeditions....

@bfgeleven quote:

Question: Do specific MODs only drop in specific Chaos Tiers? I seem to get a lot of the same ones, and I thought maybe its because I'm grinding C7 Expeditions....

Great question. From what i can tell, they all drop on all tiers, with RNG being the only factor. But it is early in our understanding of MODs, so we may find out there are some chaos specific ones. One list i saw had special ones listed for Onslaught Floors 80+, but i have not seen that confirmed yet. Only C8 ampules are specific to those floors from the info i have seen thus far. 

We do not have a complete list of MODs yet, so no one knows for sure. 

Check this post out: https://dungeondefenders.com/2/topic/154087/chip-list-incomplete?scrollTo=1320138&page=1#1320138

So which one should I go for if having to choose between:

servo which is yellow but has a lower number value or the same servo which is red but higher number value (hope this makes sense >.<)

@Superb_Dog quote:

servo which is yellow but has a lower number value or the same servo which is red but higher number value (hope this makes sense >.<)

Yellow, without a doubt. All red MODs are basically garbage (but garbage is better than nothing). But - your goal is greens, so all of these are garbage in a way. I would always go with the highest MOD level you can. If it is on a lower chaos tier, evolve it on another piece of armor up to C7 (or whatev your current tier is) before you tinker it to the one you really want it on. 

@bfgeleven quote:

This is an excellent question.  MODs that can drop for you are selected from a pool that is difficulty dependent.  This pool expands as difficulty (Chaos level) climbs, meaning that with each difficulty you can find all of the MODs from prior difficulties as well as new MODs that you can find starting at the difficulty you're playing!  For example (and these numbers are totally hypothetical):

Chaos I has a pool of 10 possible MODs that can drop.

Chaos II introduces 15 new MODs that can drop from any difficulty at or above Chaos II.

The means that the number of MODs that you can see dropped in Chaos II is 25 (10 from Chaos I's pool + 15 Chaos II's pool).

If Chaos III brings 20 new MODs that can then drop at or above Chaos III difficulty then the number of different MODs you can see dropped in Chaos III becomes 45 (10+15+20).  And so on...

All MODs are weighted equally in the pool.  Remember, the pool is determined based on the difficulty of the map you are playing.  So, if a MOD begins dropping in Chaos III then Chaos III will be the best place to farm that MOD because the MOD pool will be the smallest.

Hope this helps!

Mark

@TrendyMark quote:

This is an excellent question.  MODs that can drop for you are pulled from a pool that is difficulty dependent.  This pool expands as difficulty (Chaos level) climbs, meaning that with each difficulty you can find all of the MODs from prior difficulties as well as new MODs that you can find starting at the difficulty you're playing!  For example (and the numbers are totally hypothetical):

Chaos I has a pool of 10 possible MODs that can drop.

Chaos II introduces 15 new MODs that can drop from any difficulty at or above Chaos II.

The means that the number of MODs that you can see dropped in Chaos II is 25 (10 from Chaos I's pool + 15 Chaos II's pool).

If Chaos III brings 20 new MODs that can then drop at or above Chaos III difficulty then the number of different MODs you can see dropped in Chaos III becomes 45 (10+15+20).  And so on...

All MODs are weighted equally in the pool.  Remember, the pool is determined based on the difficulty of the map you are playing.  So, if a MOD begins dropping in Chaos III then Chaos III will be the best place to farm that MOD because the MOD pool will be the smallest.

Hope this helps!

Mark

Wow, really great info. Thank you very much for clarifying and contributing.  santa.png

I added some of that great info to the guide. 

Thanks very much, very very helpful.

Now if you can just provide a complete list of all MODS and at which chaos pool each belongs to, you'd have a friend for life :)

PS.. This update is awesome

Thank you for this. You are a very helpful Shark.

@Jaws_420 quote:
@Superb_Dog quote:

Yellow, without a doubt. All red MODs are basically garbage (but garbage is better than nothing). But - your goal is greens, so all of these are garbage in a way. I would always go with the highest MOD level you can. If it is on a lower chaos tier, evolve it on another piece of armor up to C7 (or whatev your current tier is) before you tinker it to the one you really want it on. 

@TrendyMark quote:

So, if a MOD begins dropping in Chaos III then Chaos III will be the best place to farm that MOD because the MOD pool will be the smallest.

I really dislike this trend that you guys have been going in. I bet most people do not want to farm a lower chaos tier just for a specific item to drop (that probably wont drop cause rng) while getting total garbage loot in the process. 

Please stop doing this. Make it better.

@Vindicit quote:

@TrendyMark quote:

So, if a MOD begins dropping in Chaos III then Chaos III will be the best place to farm that MOD because the MOD pool will be the smallest.

I really dislike this trend that you guys have been going in. I bet most people do not want to farm a lower chaos tier just for a specific item to drop (that probably wont drop cause rng) while getting total garbage loot in the process. 

There is no such thing as "garbage loot" anymore.  Any piece of loot can roll with a perfect primary stat, a perfect secondary stat, or a perfect MOD and you can quickly upgrade its strength to whatever Chaos tier you are at.  You can upgrade any piece of loot's tier, chaos level, gear score, etc. And judging by our current data on how much materials are trading for, you can upgrade pretty cheaply too if you don't already have the materials.  Of course, if you don't want to do this we leave the option for you to find everything in Chaos VII.  Your choice.

If you don't want to do any of this and just want to play a specific game mode at a specific difficulty, you can bypass all of this and trade the gold you earn for the specific MOD/roll/item you are looking for.  You have that choice as well.  It's up to you.<3 

Cheers,

Mark

i added some more info about MODs level 1-5 based on what we learned in the forums today

This is stupid question, but how does Tenacity servo work? It just removes negative effects from for example Hex Thrower's "cursed field", right? Then I don't understand why it is so overpowered if some defenses like auras are not even touched. But I am guessing Tenacity servo is helpful at the high floors in Onslaught.