Sign in to follow this  
Jaws_420

Blockchain coming to DD2

One thing to consider here. If we own our items - then it is likely that TE will not be able to alter them after they release them. If they devalue my property - that could lead to a lawsuit. Once you "own" the item, the designers must then pretty much go hands free from that point on. In the DD world, that is odd since we tend to reroll gear all the time. Not only do game updates do it, so does using AP power. So how does Blockchain play into that model exactly? I'm not sure that it does, which may be why this update is coming out. 

In the future, instead of rerolling your gear, it may be possible that DD2 simply "bans" old gear from being used if anything further changes down the line. If they cannot touch your gear, but your gear has some issue that makes it not allowed or unfair, the only way to then address that issue is to disallow the item from coming into the game, apart from expensive nerfing coding. 

IDK...just a thought. Trying to figure out how personal property works in a game that blanks all of your stuff all the time. 

@Jaws_420 quote:

One thing to consider here. If we own our items - then it is likely that TE will not be able to alter them after they release them. If they devalue my property - that could lead to a lawsuit.

That's anotehr important question but still the mainly is: do you still believe Trendy willl be here forver to guarantee our items are usable 50 years from now ?

Cmon it makes no sense, unless for some reason they get to do a lot of money out of it.

But also your point is important, game development is based upon devs working on game world and changing it constantly, but that doesnt synergize at all with a system where property is worth money for its status that, if changed, would modify the whole world worth.

So they either don't update the game anymore or they become godly in the economy aspect of it.

Hey All,

Just to chime in pertaining to this subject, the IGN article, and the press release. It's an announcement of a partnership to explore the possibility, with nothing set in stone currently. We'll have more word out if things develop.

We wouldn't just drop something like this on you all without greatly explaining it. <3

@Tarius quote:

@mmm quote:

EXACTLY!

The point is that the ownership of virtual content DEPENDS ON THE DEVS DECISION, not on the use of blockchain.

It's not blockchain that allows any of that, it is only the willingness of devs, they could do it even right now without blockchain if they wanted to.

The difference is that Developers can change their mind on a whim.  Even Blizzard did that with Diablo 3.  Item stats changed after they were already in the inventories of the Players.  

Imagine this...
You see a listing for a cool item that is insanely rare.  You normally don't buy items with real money, but for some reason the item listed is seriously tempting you.  Be it a unique skin or an Item with a cool combination of stats and a Unique on-equip bonus.  You've decided that you really like the game and the purchase is worth it.  -BAMMMM!- ya buy it.

You equip the thing, and are really happy with your purchase.  People notice the unique item and share their envy.

A week later a patch is released that significantly changes the stats, effect, or visual appearance of the item.  It is no longer what you wanted to purchase... in fact if it was this way prior you would not have spent the real life money.  You regret the purchase... and feel betrayed.

The developers have 100% absolute rule.  Maybe they are considerate and dont change your gear... maybe they make sweeping changes without thinking about how such situations are affected.  The point is... you have no control.  And now... because of being screwed over... you have no faith.

With blockchaining, a 3rd party is involved managing such situations.  There are rules and regulations that determine if -or- how items can be affected by later changes.  The entire point of these systems is to protect the end-user from these types of situations.  Any changes would need to be vetted and understood prior to being implemented.  The blockchain prevents arbitrarily corruption / changing of data by having multiple servers dedicated to recorder data-states ensuring that ownership, quality, and specific characteristics are retained despite future updates.

The idea behind Blockchaining is to have protections in place that give the buyers confidence in the purchase, and instill measurable value behind the items that are being exchanged.  Without that, there is no backing to the item's value... and it can be changed on a whim without and consideration to your own personal opinions on the matter.  

The entire point of Blockchaining is that it removes the decision and control of the items away from the developers after the items are released to the public.  The willingness of the Developers becomes arbitrary.  All of their design choices must be made with blockchaining as a constraint and conduit. 

So what stops devs from just releasing C8?

Granted it will not matter too much in the next patch, or DD2 at all, since items are so boring.

But your point is just mute.

Sure they cannot change item "X", but whats stopping devs from making item"Z, H and Y" vastly superior?

It's like shouting, " I still got orbs in my inventory!" 

Yet they are useless.

So if DD2 was "Block Chained" before they got removed, would they be required to grant the defense speed buff?

TBH, it is just a glorified RMT marketplace from the sounds to me, with the added benefit that it would work cross games.

@PandynatorDD quote:

Granted it will not matter too much in the next patch, or DD2 at all, since items are so boring.

Sure they cannot change item "X", but whats stopping devs from making item"Z, H and Y" vastly superior?

Yet they are useless.

So if DD2 was "Block Chained" before they got removed, would they be required to grant the defense speed buff?

TBH, it is just a glorified RMT marketplace from the sounds to me, with the added benefit that it would work cross games.

Very good points made here. While they may not be able to touch "your" stuff, they can simply make it obsolete if they wanted to. 

Not only...

They actually should...

Since this game is about adding content as time goes on...

@PandynatorDD quote:

Yet they are useless.

Well they have already changed gear so it can be upgraded so your c7 or c8 gear will not be obsolete if c8, c9 or c100 released, you would just have to finish upgrading it.

I mean stock becomes obsolete if a company goes under too and having 1 million VCR's today is not something that any sane person would want.

This also leads to the question of "what happens when a company can't/won't support a project anymore?" which is an interesting question. What if say DD2 was no longer profitable to continue on and trendy had blockchain based items plus a community/legal expectation to try and find a way for them to live on?  What should happen if a game dies?

Also a point I made posts back was that say DD2 shutdown and COD #52 said "we will give you a free something in our game if you send us one of your items from DD2".

@Infernotez quote:

I mean stock becomes obsolete if a company goes under too and having 1 million VCR's today is not something that any sane person would want.

You're going to feel real silly when the world is plunged into anarchy, and VCR's are the new dollar, and VHS is the new cents.

@LAWLTA quote:

You're going to feel real silly when the world is plunged into anarchy, and VCR's are the new dollar, and VHS is the new cents.

If that was true, i would be a millionaire and you would all bow before me. All Hail the Shark God!!!!!! Sharkman_insane.png

LOL