Sign in to follow this  
Dreizehn

Generations & television

Since we started a great topic here, I thought I better start a new one in here to prevent too much spam. ^^

[[18530,users]] ...no idea why but I always expect others on game forums to be younger than me. Although I know it is not realistic. ^^

[[58175,users]] judging from your youtube videos I actually expected you to be than you acted in your post ;-P

Anyway... after shutting down my computer yesterday I suddenly realized I quoted wrong because of german dubbing. If I remember correctly the Turtles series is called Ninja Turtles in the US, isn't it? (and anywhere else) For some reason they called it Hero Turtles in the german version.

Sorry, but I have a huge problem with Ghost in the Shell. I should really love the setting, the plot etc. Actually I hate it. When I was around 15 or 16 I found a shop (when Virgin Megastore was still a thing here in Austria) that sold Anime on VHS. It was english dubbed but I did not care. The problem was that Ghost in the Shell was rater fast speaking and I watched it numerous times without understanding a word... and now I can't stand it anymore. ^^° Shame.

Does anyone remember Captain Planet?

I knew how old I am when our apprentice asked me a few years ago: 'Who is Bruce Lee?' ...that was the moment.

@Dreizehn quote:

Jaws_420 ...no idea why but I always expect others on game forums to be younger than me. Although I know it is not realistic. ^^

I can only imagine if all forum users (on any thread) were put in the same room together, without talking, and had to guess each other's user names based solely on their appearance... be a mortifying and hilarious scene i think, LOL. 

Anyway... after shutting down my computer yesterday I suddenly realized I quoted wrong because of german dubbing. If I remember correctly the Turtles series is called Ninja Turtles in the US, isn't it? (and anywhere else) For some reason they called it Hero Turtles in the german version.

for USA - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, or TMNT if you were cool (back then).... I can hear the theme song in my head now...thanks for that. Ha ha ha

Sorry, but I have a huge problem with Ghost in the Shell. I should really love the setting, the plot etc. Actually I hate it. When I was around 15 or 16 I found a shop (when Virgin Megastore was still a thing here in Austria) that sold Anime on VHS. It was english dubbed but I did not care. The problem was that Ghost in the Shell was rater fast speaking and I watched it numerous times without understanding a word... and now I can't stand it anymore. ^^° Shame.

LOL, to each their own. I liked it just because we had nothing like it at the time. I actually really love the movie, but do not like any of the tv series. Back in the day, the anime "section" at the video store only had like 6 movies... I guess i learned to love those 6 by default. 

I love to make fun of that show. While 4 kids had super powers that almost rivaled gods, like a person who can summon walls of flames at will or someone that can crack the earth open - and then there was the heart ring. The most worthless super power since the days of Aquaman teasing "you talk to fish", as the heart ring made the bad guys....care. I can just see Thanos getting hit by the ring...."you know what....let's juts hug it out and call it a day". Yeah, right.... ha ha ha

I knew how old I am when our apprentice asked me a few years ago: 'Who is Bruce Lee?' ...that was the moment.

I know what you mean. I used to think it was when i got my first grey hairs (and not on my head), but it was actually when i hit 30, my step-dad sent me a B-day card that said "now you are the one that the young kids will rebel against". Without realizing it, i had become "the man", and here i thought i was still the rebel. My own culture moment happened when i mentioned Transformers and Go-Bots to someone (prior to the Michael Bay explosion of movies) and they just blinked and stared at me as if i was speaking Swahili. Ouch. 

Wow, sounds like a pioneer.

@Wikipedia

Marine Boy was one of the first color anime cartoons to be shown in a dubbed form in the U.S., and later in Australia and the United Kingdom. 

I don't know Marine Boy, but the style remembers me of Cyborg 009

454754-cyborg009_header.jpg');

The fun fact about Ghost in the Shell is that I REALLY like that kind of stuff. I also enjoyed Armitage III a lot. I just had too much misses with GitS. ^^°

@Jaws_420 quote:
@Dreizehn quote:

Jaws_420 ...no idea why but I always expect others on game forums to be younger than me. Although I know it is not realistic. ^^

I can only imagine if all forum users (on any thread) were put in the same room together, without talking, and had to guess each other's user names based solely on their appearance... be a mortifying and hilarious scene i think, LOL. 

ouch lol might be a weird situation

@Jaws_420 quote:

I love to make fun of that show. While 4 kids had super powers that almost rivaled gods, like a person who can summon walls of flames at will or someone that can crack the earth open - and then there was the heart ring. The most worthless super power since the days of Aquaman teasing "you talk to fish", as the heart ring made the bad guys....care. I can just see Thanos getting hit by the ring...."you know what....let's juts hug it out and call it a day". Yeah, right.... ha ha ha

Now after Jason Momoa is Aquaman, I cannot make fun of the fishguy again. :-/

@Jaws_420 quote:

I know what you mean. I used to think it was when i got my first grey hairs (and not on my head), but it was actually when i hit 30, my step-dad sent me a B-day card that said "now you are the one that the young kids will rebel against". Without realizing it, i had become "the man", and here i thought i was still the rebel. My own culture moment happened when i mentioned Transformers and Go-Bots to someone (prior to the Michael Bay explosion of movies) and they just blinked and stared at me as if i was speaking Swahili. Ouch. 

When a friend got 30 I wrote on the card 'the first 30 years are the hardest years of childhood'.

Oh, and... 'back in my time...!'

@Dreizehn quote:

Now after Jason Momoa is Aquaman, I cannot make fun of the fishguy again. :-/

LOL, yeah, he is much cooler now than back in the day. Aquaman was the Justice League whipping boy for a long time. I can still remember the SNL skits making fun of him. Laughed so hard. I am glad they brought a hard edge back to the character. Jason did a great job. The part where he chucks the bottle he just downed as he strolls into the waves was just uber cool. 

You're the first one I talked to who liked the Justice League movie. Until now it felt to me as if me wife and me were the only ones.

Most of my co-workers know Jason Momoa from Game of Thrones (I did not watch it; only know pics from 9gag). I know him from Stargate Atlantis and it was quite funny to realize he was part of the Baywatch cast as well.

Maybe we can check our age here ^^

@Dreizehn quote:

You're the first one I talked to who liked the Justice League movie. Until now it felt to me as if me wife and me were the only ones.

Most of my co-workers know Jason Momoa from Game of Thrones (I did not watch it; only know pics from 9gag). I know him from Stargate Atlantis and it was quite funny to realize he was part of the Baywatch cast as well.

Maybe we can check our age here ^^

I am a cinephile, and i own thousands of movies and shows, easily. Not burned copies either. I really love movies, and i tend to clash with popular opinions on things. Justice league was a decent film, and i loved WW and MoS. BvS was the only poor entry in the DC lineup IMO thus far (Lex was so poorly cast and written). Sure DC is not as fun as Marvel, but they are not trying to be. Now, they are not as good as the MCU films either, but that does not make them bad films. I watched JL several times now, and i tend to like it more with each viewing. I really like what they did with Aquaman, as that character has nowhere to go but up in terms of cool factor. My only real big issue with JL is that they rushed it. They should have released the WW movie before it, and then done a Cyborg, Flash, and Aquaman movie before going into JL. Too quick to the team effort with characters that not all movie people will know. No ones knows who the F Cyborg is. Their franchise did not learn much from MCU's success. Anyways, no accounting for taste, so to each their own. 

LOL i love 9GAG. My first PC was an Apple 2 Plus. If you have any idea what that was, that dates me pretty easily. I believe that only had a 5 1/4 drive only. 

I have not watched GoT yet either, but i absolutely LOVE SG:A, amazing show. Such a  great cast. Kind of reminds me of Firefly, in the way the cast drives the show, not the plot.