Sign in to follow this  
AiSy

Mastery mode is empty

I'm asking in public chat several times per day to make a party for mastery and i never ever have an answer.
Why poeple are ignoring that important mod ? Some supershards aren't an option to reach the endgame...

Some of you will tell me that i can solo 80% of this mod. Well i can't, cause i only have one extra hero, plus this mod is not made for a single person i think..

So if you want to join me in this desert mode, feel free to comment with your steam id =D (i'm on PC) 

Hi, in Hub there are maxumum 20 people and your chances to find someone intrested in Mastery is almost ZERO, try DD2 Discord.

But i am happy to see people intrested in Mastery ... as you pointed out, it is a big deal in game right now.

Mastery takes a log time to setup for. You need to reshard a bunch of defenses, and likely for some maps you need to have multiple copies of some heroes, also properly sharded up. Just having the right shards, heroes, and enough of each of them - takes an incredibly long time to grind for. Then, when you are ready to play, it involves playing the same map over and over, usually failing  a lot (in later waves mind you), just to figure out the exact right placement of one tower... Then, coupled with the fact that any yahoo can join and fail the map for you simply by say healing a tower when you are not supposed to - leads to an environment where you don't really want random people to join. Unless you have a group of buddies all lined up and on mic - it can get disastrous fast. Add to all of that the incredibly HORRIBLE search feature for finding current matches - and never in all the time i have played DD2, have i ever seen a match live on Mastery. Not once. Unless you have a planned team - expect to do it all alone. Don't even get me started on those 30 sec build timers, sheesh... 

That said, there are vids online of every map being solo'd, so it can be done...by at least one person, not accounting for the skill factor as well for the rest of us. 

Of all the modes in DD2, i find Mastery the least appealing. The fact it nerfs all of your gear (and yes, i do get why that is done) is very offputting. All of your work building your team and gear kind of counts for nothing, which is sad. This mode was made purely for hardcores. 

A basic trend in the DD franchise to watch out for - any mode where you tend to fail on the final wave over and over again creates huge customer backlash. Spending like 20 plus minutes on map where everything is going well, juts to have it all go to pieces in the last few seconds, is completely disheartening. If the issue was on wave 1, that is less of a big deal, as you can change your builds quite easily still and restart, but after 20 min of playing and then that happens - it is very different in most people's eyes. We do not like having the rug ripped out from under us, especially when we do not fully understand why and what happened. Since DD2 has no kind of recap system that tells you how you failed, often you are left scratching your hear wondering what you did wrong, and how to change it based upon no info. So i say all of that because i feel like Mastery is the rug-ripping mode. Even on Chaos 1 maps, i have felt the rug fly out from under me way too many times. So i get mad, bored, frustrated and leave. I'd rather just play Trails, where i can build how i want to and have fun. I find no fun in Mastery as it is sooooooooo controlling. I do get why it is done that way, so no need to explain it to me - i am simply saying it does not appeal to me, and i am sure many other gamers because of all of that. 

Anyways, not to discourage your efforts at all - I wish you all the luck in Mastery!!!!! 

@AiSy quote:

I'm asking in public chat several times per day to make a party for mastery and i never ever have an answer.
Why poeple are ignoring that important mod ? Some supershards aren't an option to reach the endgame...

Some of you will tell me that i can solo 80% of this mod. Well i can't, cause i only have one extra hero, plus this mod is not made for a single person i think..

So if you want to join me in this desert mode, feel free to comment with your steam id =D (i'm on PC) 

The reason is obvious, that mode is not farming so once ppl make their mastery they have no interest of doing it again, also being so many of them, its impossible to find someone that need the same exact as you.

Anywya you can solo most of them, really even with base heroes, that mode is hard cause ppl is used to overpower content but that mode requires skill instead.

The only mode that requires many heroes are the "build only 1 of each tower" and some particular exclusion

I remember Trendy saying on a past Devstream that "Mastery will be nerfed". But I'm not sure if it happened.

The only way to find a group to play Mastery, without having a group of friends, was during Mastery release.

Well, that's how they welcome New Players, welcome to DD2!

@AiSy quote:

Because it is extremely frustrating and does not provide you with any progress. Hyper shards are great, but there are extremely expensive to upgrade and only two of them are really worth using. Some of the stars like finish each build phase in 30 seconds while at the same time, completing each face with at least 10 different defenses gets extremely tedious. You find yourself running the same thing over and over again until 5 stars is achieved. 

I have also had MANY times were I am doing one were I get to way 5, have a start that requires no defenses be destroyed, then on the FINAL wave a flying kobold happens to get through and there goes the star. It feels like a waste of time. 

@xzxinflamesxzx quote:

Because it is extremely frustrating and does not provide you with any progress. Hyper shards are great, but there are extremely expensive to upgrade and only two of them are really worth using. Some of the stars like finish each build phase in 30 seconds while at the same time, completing each face with at least 10 different defenses gets extremely tedious. You find yourself running the same thing over and over again until 5 stars is achieved. 

I have also had MANY times were I am doing one were I get to way 5, have a start that requires no defenses be destroyed, then on the FINAL wave a flying kobold happens to get through and there goes the star. It feels like a waste of time. 

i so agree. Often i have issues with the "no core gets below 90%" one or whatev (which makes me mad that sub-cores count, especially on short lanes), and then on the final wave - every single spawn point generates a lane boss, and if even one gets an attack off that flies over a barricade - loss of 2 stars min. With another player it would not have been an issue, but solo and limited DU - make that very very difficult to pull off. I rebuild and tried it like 3 more times before getting so frustrated with the whole setup, i just moved on...and away from mastery. I know it can be done, and i was super close, but i tire of redoing all 5 waves, just to figure out how my build on wave 5 needs adjust ever so slightly, plus the RNG factor on what bosses appear, as that was a big factor. Last time i played i had multiple rollers spawn, and that just was...well, that was when i stopped. Too bad you can't replay a single wave, as opposed to the whole map. If i could replay just the last wave, i might be a lot more tempted to keep adjusting my builds, but surviving the other 4 waves just to get back to the same spot, that was the kicker. Be great if Mastery adjusted for solo play. Less bosses spawn, longer build timers, more DU. I feel punished for playing solo...but have no other realistic options... So it sits in the mothballs...  

Like mmaakk said, the big boom time for Mastery was during Ancient's Prelude's release. (Mastery Release.)

The major motivation for me in doing Mastery was for the flairs. And there's also Prove Your Mastery event. Those exclusive crowns were also another major motivation for me. Sadly, I wasn't that good back then plus horrible connection. So I never did make it. But still, the Hero's Valor flair (and also, wanting to complete Mastery before Onslaught's release) is enough to make me complete mastery.

Obviously some I did not complete alone, and I do have gratitude to those who helped me finish.

The motivations also did have me use "unorthodox" methods in completing it. Gotta do what I gotta do ;)

If there weren't those motivations, I would just probably took my time in completing it (which would probably be a long time) And I'd probably regret that decision.

@Paloverde zfogshooterz quote:

Like mmaakk said, the big boom time for Mastery was during Ancient's Prelude's release. (Mastery Release.)

The major motivation for me in doing Mastery was for the flairs. And there's also Prove Your Mastery event. Those exclusive crowns were also another major motivation for me. Sadly, I wasn't that good back then plus horrible connection. So I never did make it. But still, the Hero's Valor flair (and also, wanting to complete Mastery before Onslaught's release) is enough to make me complete mastery.

Obviously some I did not complete alone, and I do have gratitude to those who helped me finish.

The motivations also did have me use "unorthodox" methods in completing it. Gotta do what I gotta do ;)

If there weren't those motivations, I would just probably took my time in completing it (which would probably be a long time) And I'd probably regret that decision.

That kind of reminds me of one of the challenges in DD1 "Hall of Court". There was one where you had to play against an entire map of nothing but exploding little kobolds, and zero towers allowed. It was crazy tough, but way fun - when you had 4 players on it. It is literally impossible to do solo. 

So what i am getting at - that design was well made when multiplayer was possible and likely, but later it became one of the worst designs because you cannot play it alone. That full spectrum needs to be taken into consideration in the design of the challenge. Same should apply to Mastery IMO, as the build times and boss spawns do not reflect a good solo design. 

@Jaws_420 quote:

i so agree. Often i have issues with the "no core gets below 90%" one or whatev (which makes me mad that sub-cores count, especially on short lanes), and then on the final wave - every single spawn point generates a lane boss, and if even one gets an attack off that flies over a barricade - loss of 2 stars min. With another player it would not have been an issue, but solo and limited DU - make that very very difficult to pull off. I rebuild and tried it like 3 more times before getting so frustrated with the whole setup, i just moved on...and away from mastery. I know it can be done, and i was super close, but i tire of redoing all 5 waves, just to figure out how my build on wave 5 needs adjust ever so slightly, plus the RNG factor on what bosses appear, as that was a big factor. Last time i played i had multiple rollers spawn, and that just was...well, that was when i stopped. Too bad you can't replay a single wave, as opposed to the whole map. If i could replay just the last wave, i might be a lot more tempted to keep adjusting my builds, but surviving the other 4 waves just to get back to the same spot, that was the kicker. Be great if Mastery adjusted for solo play. Less bosses spawn, longer build timers, more DU. I feel punished for playing solo...but have no other realistic options... So it sits in the mothballs...  

The RNG that these maps have are great when you aren't constrained like you are in Mastery, keeps things fresh. But it feels like not only do I need to have a good build, but in the example you described ( multiple rollers) it feels like you lost due to bad RNG, as opposed to player error. This happens far too often.

I had one time were a skeleton spawned in 3 different lanes in waves 2,3, and 4. To top it off, it was a challenge were I couldn't build walls, and I couldn't have defenses destroyed. Playing solo, how the hell am I suppose to beat that? 

I got up to 5 hyper shards and I just can't get the motivation to go back. With the new system they keep describing (direct counters) I might give it a try again after the update. 

@xzxinflamesxzx quote:

The RNG that these maps have are great when you aren't constrained like you are in Mastery, keeps things fresh. But it feels like not only do I need to have a good build, but in the example you described ( multiple rollers) it feels like you lost due to bad RNG, as opposed to player error. This happens far too often.

I had one time were a skeleton spawned in 3 different lanes in waves 2,3, and 4. To top it off, it was a challenge were I couldn't build walls, and I couldn't have defenses destroyed. Playing solo, how the hell am I suppose to beat that? 

I got up to 5 hyper shards and I just can't get the motivation to go back. With the new system they keep describing (direct counters) I might give it a try again after the update. 

I think you hit the nail on the head. A good system/mode/game will make you want to play it more and more the deeper you get into it. If the game makes you turn around and walk away - well, that needs some revamping. Mastery should be addictive. Suck me in, don't push me away....Jester_Forum_icon2.png  

@Jaws_420 quote:

I think you hit the nail on the head. A good system/mode/game will make you want to play it more and more the deeper you get into it. If the game makes you turn around and walk away - well, that needs some revamping. Mastery should be addictive. Suck me in, don't push me away....Jester_Forum_icon2.png  

Exactly. Once I've actually done Mastery I've actually have no desire to do it again. If there's a feature that reset stars, I will say that's totally "bleeeeeeeeep".

To think of it, even if they add rewards for replayability, it's not going to cut it since the overall gameplay on certain maps is just painful. Just one victory in those situations is already enough.