Sign in to follow this  
Archvile

Some help choosing equipment

Hey all. Not sure if it should ask this here or in the "Players helping players" part of the forum, but I hope it's not too much of a mistake.

Anyway, the question I have is about gearing a barb. I am currently following a guide for beating the game solo, made by a nice guy named Omnisciurus and was farming obsids for builders and dps monk/barb. At some point point got 2 nice (in my opinion) obsids and when I was fed up with Akatiti (still w/o a proper aura monk obsid) decided to take a break and farm Buccaneer for a better replacement for my tower huntress. First run and I get a Ult++ Roger's Revenge. Since it was clearly better than one of those obsids I replaced the latter with it. 

Now today I get another Ult++ Roger's (is it just me or they have a higher chance at being that high, higher than obsids/Moby's? Getting pretty bad Moby's most of the time) with some crazy amount of ups, but I'm kinda unsure this time with replacing, since I'll lose A LOT of health. Just how important is health on a barb? Here's a screen of the two weps in question - the new Roger's and the last obsid in my hand atm - https://imgur.com/a/UB0ncGf . I actually think I'll be using my jester or monk more often  (still deciding whether to go melee or range with him), but you know, one can never have too much diversity for different situations, that's why I'm preparing barb as well, in preparation for the final stages of the guide and since Omni had one during his progression.

The second ability stat is also a bit better on the Roger's, as you can see, but I don't think I'll be building a full hawkstance barb, unless I get capped herodmg on armor then prolly can pour some points into that ability, which will prolly not be enough for it to be substantial. Also Roger's get the same amount of ups per point being any quality, so maybe I shouldn't be hyped at it being Ult++ anyway? Noticed they do get a good amount of ups even on normal Ults.

My apologies, again, if this is not the place to ask such things, I will prolly post this on the steam DD forum as well, not sure how many people are still left here and there and if they're different ones =) And in any case thanks for any advice you can give me guys, if I need to provide additional info, please feel free to ask.

@Archvile quote: (is it just me or they have a higher chance at being that high, higher than obsids/Moby's?

Buccaneer Bay weapons have a .25% chance to be Ult++, meaning 4 items in a run is a 1% chance for ult++. This is, for all practical purposes, the best map in the game to get ult++. I got 4 ++ in 26 runs.

@Archvile quote:Just how important is health on a barb?

Once you get the Tavernkeep imposter skin, your health scaling is pretty rediculous. Don't worry too much about HP past 2k.

@Archvile quote: https://imgur.com/a/UB0ncGf

That's not even a hard question. 300^ vs 500^ is 500^ every time.

@Archvile quote:

The second ability stat is also a bit better on the Roger's, as you can see, but I don't think I'll be building a full hawkstance barb, unless I get capped herodmg on armor then prolly can pour some points into that ability, which will prolly not be enough for it to be substantial.

Hawk Stance scales better with Hero Damage than it does Ability 2.

Barb can heal very quickly using siphon stance, so he should almost never die to damage (with tavernkeep and capped resists).

Siphon stance does triple damage taken, but if you use it at the same time as turtle stance there is no resistance penalty.  The resist boost on turtle overrides the resist penalty on siphon.

Hey guys, thanks for the quick and detailed replies! 

I actually was hesitating also because obsids, as far as I've read, have a hidden dmg multiplier (like 40%?), so I wasn't too sure if the total dmg output would be greater even with so many ups.

A nice person named Thales also sent me a friend request on steam and we had a good conversation in-game, regarding the listed questions, as well as some others. 

Thanks a lot for the explanations again =)

IIRC, obsidian weapons have a hidden 1.7x damage multiplier, but do not get the usual Ultimate bonus on base damage upgrades.

@Archvile quote:

I actually was hesitating also because obsids, as far as I've read, have a hidden dmg multiplier (like 40%?), so I wasn't too sure if the total dmg output would be greater even with so many ups.

Just some additional info about the "hidden multipliers" on obsidian weapons, since this topic comes up a lot:

・ Gladius: Extra 2/3 damage.
 ・ Sparus: Extra 2/3 damage on melee only.  Improved hero damage scaling on ranged only.
 ・ Clava: No bonus.

Since sparus has two different kinds of bonus, both kinds of damage are usable.  On average melee and ranged damage will be about the same, with melee being slightly better.  Ranged is usually lower damage, but it can be better if you get a bad roll for base damage.

Extra details

All three weapons have a 0.6 display multiplier.  In other words, if the real base damage is 100k, they show 60k instead.  This is unusual for swords and spears, which usually have a 1.0 multiplier, so it's as though the gladius and sparus get an extra 2/3 bonus to melee damage.  It's normal for staves, which almost all have a 0.6 multiplier, which means clavas are just like every other staff (except the ember sceptre/elder staff, which do double the damage you'd expect).

The reason the display multipliers are set strangely is because all three obsidian weapons use a staff as their base archetype, so they inherit the 0.6 multiplier shared by all staves.  Similarly, the sparus fires a staff projectile (reused from the Apocalypse staff rewarded by Rumble in the Jungle), which is why it has the same hero damage scaling as staves do.  Normally monk projectiles scale with the square root of the hero damage stat, but ranged sparus scales with hero damage linearly like a staff.

(Technically, the sparus does have a hidden multiplier to ranged damage; it has a 10% penalty to ranged damage, so at 0 or 1 hero damage it does less damage than other spears.  But thanks to the improved stat scaling, it catches up when your hero damage stat hits 2, so practically speaking the penalty doesn't actually matter unless you're trying to calculate exact numbers.)

That's a lot of interesting details there, thanks for that!

Taking that into consideration, would you say sparus is better of being a ranged or melee monk weapon? I read a few guides about weapons in general and specifically for monk, seems like the sparus is a good ranged weapon, and in melee is outclassed by wrench and eternian spear (which I plan to farm after I get a decent monk weapon and get familiar with the Old One fight), though they said wrench is a bit of a pain to farm. Also atm I'm farming Quietuses, how are they in terms of melee/ranged weapons? Should I try to get a wrench for my melee monk and upgrade one more or less okay sparus for ranged?

Quietus is the most time effective farm for a good melee monk weapon. I'm currently using one myself since I haven't had the time to farm a good Wrench from Sky City. Running the map in 8 minutes (or less) for 4 weapons that generally spawn well with good hero stats is the most effective use of your time.

Monk Wrenches legitimately have awful spawns. There are very few people who have gotten an 400^+ monk wrench. That said, it's worth farming them if you like the map.

Eternian Spears are a pain because soloing Old One with Monk can be a real headache, along with the fact that you can only get 1 weapon per account per run. They also have abysmal hero stats and don't spawn well.

As to Sparuses, they are better as ranged weapons. Quietus are much easier to farm and have much better melee damage than Sparuses do.

I see. Gotta say, starting to lose interest in those Eternians with every bit of info I read :D Only wish all of this info was actually written somewhere like a wiki, cause that's usually the first place I look something up about a game, next being guides, and the last is a forum, tbh. Not saying a forum is bad or anything, but for old games it's easier when you can read up on stuff, instead of bothering veterans who are still around =)

DD is an old game but it's still getting updates and with the introduction of new equipment and changes in towers 90% of the existing guides are more or less obsolete.

End-game weapons are more of a personal preference. Real good ones are hard to come by so it's about which map can you endure running countless times regardless of difficulty or the time/effort it takes.

Also it's kinda pointless because believe it or not having +50^ or 1.5x dmg wont matter the slightest in terms of generic gameplay. It's just nice having cool toys :)