Sign in to follow this  
darksteelhyren

Think I'm gonna uninstall until this 3 map thing is done away with.

@petticrew quote:

@Tigrosaur quote:

I'd even go as far as setting a 120 minutes countdown timer to beat all three maps, otherwise you fail the floor.

Its VERY hard to plan ahead on onslaught.  To many different combinations with mutators for that.

You said time was never a concern for you.  Great! But not everyone has your schedule.

A timer is a terrible idea and here's why:

First, the majority of the players play on Private, which kinda sucks.

Second, when you do play with randoms, a lot of times then never hit "G" and you have to wait for the timer between waves.

Lastly, with that being said, it would only further encourage people to play privately.  As far as i'm aware, they encourage multiplayer.

What would be the point of the timer anyway?  To get people to play faster....?  why?

If you failed this timer, wouldn't you just be rerolling/replaying anyway? lol

Dayum. Now, thanks to you, I now know what this "Tig" means by 120 minutes countdown. 

I think it's horrible.

Sure, two hours may seem a lot of time, but it's not. I've experience trying to beat the Lost Temple from 12 am to 4 am. That's literally more than 2 hours.

This will give the Mastery feeling again. Which is not good. Onslaught is not Mastery. Also, 120 minutes countdown, boom! Time's up. Then you have to start the floor all over again!? It's gonna be the brutal, no replay, and always restart floors again. Which also will take even more time...OR...just make peeps quit.

What would be the point of the timer anyway?  To get people to play faster....?  why?

That's is a good question, petticrew.

Sorry little clarification on my end, I didn't mean like an actual timer in-game just a personal goal to set for yourself.

I believe if you need more time the problem is not the missing save function...

I'm having some difficulty with the game that's somewhat related to this topic, so I'll drop it here:

I'm having a hard time staying awake while playing DD2!

1.  The music....it's like a damned lullaby after awhile.

2.  Solo play.  There is literally never a public game session on my specific floor.  Hell, there are rarely ANY public Onslaughts on the board at all.

3.  3 map floors.

Yes, I can play my own music in the room.  I get sideways glances from the wife and kids, but it can be done.

Yes, I could open my own session to the public and hope that someone joins......and doesn't add 20 minutes to the floor.....and doesn't build weak defenses that I cannot replace with my own.....and doesn't troll by removing defenses during the last wave......and doesn't vote to kick me from the session that I started (my all time favorite).....

As for the 3 map floors, there's just no justification for them.  If you want, limit the leader-board for folks who did 3 floors at a time.  Hell, make the leader-board show longest win streaks if that's what tickles your fancy.

For the filthy casuals among us, 3 floors is simply too many.  It's been stated a couple hundred times.  Wife, DOG, kids, DOG, job, DOG, disconnects, DOG, that guilty feeling that you're wasting your life away spending 5-7 hours (really dude?) grinding floors on DD2, and did I mention the "you're a pathetic excuse for an owner" look from the DOG?  You name it.  The only difficulty being added to the the game by requiring 3 maps to complete a floor is TIME.  Many of us don't have it, and will likely drift away from the game because of it.

At 43, I don't care if I ever appear on a leader-board.  Give me an option to permanently remove myself from leader-board consideration and let me progress through the game at a pace that is suitable for my life.  

The older you get, the more you realize that your DOG doesn't care about your rank on the DD2 leader-board.

P.S.  I really am having trouble staying awake during 3 map floors.  Long stretches with little action and that damned lullaby playing endlessly.  

P.S.S.  No offense intended to the 5-7 hour dude up above.  I've done it as well!  Just hate to think that making progress in the game requires scheduling a vacation to grind it! :)

P.S.S.  Easy fix for how to handle saves with multiplayer groups.  Group can only start missions that the lowest achieving member has reached.  Similar to what Destiny did with their raid checkpoints in D1, only in reverse.  

There is no easy way in saying this, but most of the people who play casual want to be able to play harder content not casual players play, and be able to complete it. I hope you see the oddity in this one. Of course the first thing in mind is to tell to everyone to "git gud" but I can understand you guys want to complete content, people with more time can complete. However, if the difficulty is dumbed down, isn't it a shame for the people that have completed it, or isn't it going to destroy the game for those who actually enjoy the challenge?

So if the number of floors does indeed get dumbed down, or a save feature comes, shouldn't there be another way to make it a more rewarding experience? And I do not mean rewards, I mean the emotion of completing something players get. I believe there are a lot of people who do like this, and those people are the main people who may be putting money in this game and keeping it alive. So although I do understand everyone complaints, I do see the other people too, personally for me it is going to become too easy. I do not know if that is a bad thing. I kind of like where the game is now, take away the losing your gear part. I am guessing a save feature couldn't hurt. And it wouldn't interfere too much with the more competing player base.

Why would it be easier with a save feature?? A save option just lets us continue on our own time, difficulty wouldn't change at all would it? We are not talking about making easier mutators or anything. 

@specialK quote:

There is no easy way in saying this, but most of the people who play casual want to be able to play harder content not casual players play, and be able to complete it. I hope you see the oddity in this one. Of course the first thing in mind is to tell to everyone to "git gud" but I can understand you guys want to complete content, people with more time can complete. However, if the difficulty is dumbed down, isn't it a shame for the people that have completed it, or isn't it going to destroy the game for those who actually enjoy the challenge?

So if the number of floors does indeed get dumbed down, or a save feature comes, shouldn't there be another way to make it a more rewarding experience? And I do not mean rewards, I mean the emotion of completing something players get. I believe there are a lot of people who do like this, and those people are the main people who may be putting money in this game and keeping it alive. So although I do understand everyone complaints, I do see the other people too, personally for me it is going to become too easy. I do not know if that is a bad thing. I kind of like where the game is now, take away the losing your gear part. I am guessing a save feature couldn't hurt. And it wouldn't interfere too much with the more competing player base.

Here's an Idea:

Give the player the ability to choose how many maps they want to play consecutively: (1-3)

1 MAP:   Reward: +1 Floor

2 MAPs: Reward: +1 Floors +2 Legendaries from Chest (at the end of map 2)

3 MAPs: Reward: +2 Floors

I personally think this would solve a lot of the time issues.  But that's just my opinion what do you think?

@Krro quote:

Why would it be easier with a save feature?? A save just lets us continue on our own time, difficulty wouldn't change at all would it? 

@specialK quote:

What is stoping you from completing it now at your own time? You will need 20 mins to complete a floor now you need an hour. By cutting the time needed it becomes easier. Do I need to explain this to you?

Dude what are you talking about?

@specialK quote:

@Krro quote:

Why would it be easier with a save feature?? A save just lets us continue on our own time, difficulty wouldn't change at all would it? 

@specialK quote:

What is stoping you from completing it now at your own time? You will need 20 mins to complete a floor now you need an hour. By cutting the time needed it becomes easier. Do I need to explain this to you?

@Krro quote:

Dude what are you talking about?

@specialK quote:

@Krro quote:

@specialK quote:

Now I have to teach you how to read too? Anyway if you can understand from what I am saying, I am saying I agree, but it will be easier for me. For some it might still be tricky, for me it isn't. I play if I have an hour to spent, cause I know it is going to take me an hour. I do not go like a snowflake expecting to be a walk in the park. What are you talking about?

@petticrew quote:

Here's an Idea:

Give the player the ability to choose how many maps they want to play consecutively: (1-3)

3 MAPs: Reward: +2 Floors +2 Legendaries from Chest(at the end of map 3)

I personally think this would solve a lot of the time issues.  But that's just my opinion what do you think?

Quite a good idea! Options are always nice.

Or it could also be allowing you to choose how many maps you want to run per floor, more maps means more bonus?

However, I prefer the bonus to be a higher chance for either rarity of a def pack in each map or a guaranteed powerful def pack for the third map.

Then I think I wouldn't mind the 3 map fiesta.

With a save option it would still take the same amount of time to complete a floor as now, just spread over several days if you choose to save. I don't see the problem with this and there are probably many different ways Trendy could implement a save system that would work good. 

@specialK quote:

Now I have to teach you how to read too? Anyway if you can understand from what I am saying, I am saying I agree, but it will be easier for me. For some it might still be tricky, for me it isn't. I play if I have an hour to spent, cause I know it is going to take me an hour. I do not go like a snowflake expecting to be a walk in the park. What are you talking about?

@Krro quote:

With a save option it would still take the same amount of time to complete a floor as now, just spread over several days if you choose to save. I don't see the problem with this and there are probably many different ways Trendy could implement a save system that would work good. 

@specialK quote:

So if it takes the same amount of time with now, why don't you do it now? Because it would be easier?

I think we should have a special snowflake halo for people like specialK who can play for 20 hours straight.

@Kruntski quote:

I think we should have a special snowflake halo for people like specialK who can play for 20 hours straight.

Pretty sure that's called the Final Form Flair at floor 114. I'm not totally sure, I may have to get back to you on that lol

@Kruntski quote:

And we need another one for people like Kruntski who cannot sit and play for just 1. And they need a save feature to justify how much they suck at this game. Maybe a baby sucking his own thumb?

By the way, the same amount of time it took you to come up with that glorious insult, you could have used it to strategize better and finish the level in under an hour. Power of thought you seem to have, power to use it wisely, you seem not.

And since you want to know, I usually play only on the weekends, I rarely have more than 2 hrs to play. 

not everyone has the time and day to play through one sitting, breaks are needed, having a save option by no means makes the game any easier just allows someone to complete the floor where they left off from peacefully on a later date. if it does make it easier then it would be in the physical exhaustion department one would not require the same level energy, gameplay remains the same and so does difficulty.   

By definition, that makes it easier. I do not know why everyone gets so defensive with the word easy. It is not as if it is a bad word. It is just that some people may enjoy the challenge. Anyway I have no intention into getting into a quarrel for this. What is best for the game and the players will happen. I too wouldn't mind a fail safe feature, mainly because of crashes, but if that is what the community wants, that is what the community will have.

@petticrew quote:

Here's an Idea:

3 MAPs: Reward: +2 Floors

I like this idea but I've an idea that would save more time getting yourself to the floor you want. A trade-off system:

For x floors you want to move ahead, that's x floors you'd need to complete before you could prestige. That is, x highest achievable floors.

- For example, if you're on floor 100 and decide you're going to grind to 200, you could jump to 150. Then you'd just need to complete floor 200 before you could prestige.

While my idea doesn't solve the '3 map problem' per se, it does address multiple related issues:

• Time - It cuts down on it.
  • Difficulty - It allows you to start playing Onslaught at a challenging level faster.
  • Co-op - If friends/randoms wanted to (and you allowed them), they could join you on your trek.

There are three drawbacks I can think of:

1. What if the floors can't be completed? A failsafe system could be put in place to revert the person's progress back x floors from their current floor. This way, they'd have gotten to enjoy the challenge of Onslaught x floors ahead (with or without their friends) and still gained the number of floors they achieved.
  2. How would the leaderboard be affected? Any person using this trade-off system would be a ghost on the leaderboard until their debt in floors is paid off. This way, players can't abuse the system to advance their rank.
  3. How would flair be affected? If Flair sets have yet to be gotten, they'd still have to complete the difference in floors. For example, if they jumped from floor 65 to 100, they'd still need to complete 27 floors (or floor 127) to obtain floor 92 flair and 49 floors (or floor 149) to receive floor 114 flair.

Wow you guys are complicated :)  1 map at a time , every 3 maps completed is a floor. 

@specialK quote:

By definition, that makes it easier. I do not know why everyone gets so defensive with the word easy. It is not as if it is a bad word. It is just that some people may enjoy the challenge. Anyway I have no intention into getting into a quarrel for this. What is best for the game and the players will happen. I too wouldn't mind a fail safe feature, mainly because of crashes, but if that is what the community wants, that is what the community will have.

They aren't getting defensive at the word easy, they're getting defensive at your connotation. Whether intentional or not, your phrasing and tone in what you've said so far has been directing it in a way that a lot people would view as an insult. Almost everyone gets defensive when you insult them.

That aside, some people just can't guarantee an uninterrupted play time. One of the people I use to spam old onslaught with ran his own business from home, and had kids to boot. He'd usually play for 20-30min, then AFK for 15+ min to deal with his kids or answer phone calls, etc (which resulted in him getting kicked if he didn't use a macro).

He had something like 2k+ hours by the time the abyss lord got released and he quit, but it was always spread out in short intervals. That's just how some people's time work out. Don't think skill plays a factor at all into it.

Personally, I feel 3 maps just feels weird anyways... But I'd rather see a 12-15 wave map instead (as has been mentioned in other threads) just for more diverse experiences. But that's just me.

Can you imagine failing on wave 15?  At least with the current system you get some check points.. 

@xArcAngel quote:

Personally, I feel 3 maps just feels weird anyways... But I'd rather see a 12-15 wave map instead (as has been mentioned in other threads) just for more diverse experiences. But that's just me.

@BeerGoggles quote:

Can you imagine failing on wave 15?  At least with the current system you get some check points.. 

True, its a little harsher with the single map that you'd deal with the 15 waves, but realistically, you'd of almost certainly failed considerably before wave 15 if you were going to fail. And given the rather ingenious change to the client-server interactions Trendy made, disconnects and crashes are less likely and dangerous in a single map than multiple.

Plus, one thing I didn't bother going into detail about (given posts tend to get long lol) is that one 15 wave map would most likely take the average individual a little less time than 2 maps with the current system, given that it would cut out 2 map transition times, as well as 2 build times (which is one of the lengthier things in onslaught with all the individual waves - not that that's a bad thing).

Lastly, in the "other thread" I mentioned, it'd also been discussed something like 5/8/12 waves for the 3 tiers, given the rate at which enemies scale, which might be slightly less terrifying than a wave 15 fail for you.

And just to be honest for the nay-sayers that don't want the game to be easier, contrary to the save option suggestion, this would in fact make the overall onslaught climb slightly easier by reducing the climbing time rather significantly. Just to be honest.

What if they took each map and made it a floor. Now you AP at around map 140 (or whatever),. Maps 141+ give 1 min asc per map(/floor) and 1/3 skill cap. Probably would require the least amount of development time, since it requires the least amount of re-design and balancing. 

So, there are actually people saying it would get too easy if you save after a map? Seriously? Ever heard of something called real life?

Yeah , that´s the thing that doesn´t allow it for a lot of people to do 3 onslaughts maps in one sitting. Let alone failing once and having to do it again making it 4 sometimes.

Newsflash: Having to do 3 maps in a row has NOTHING to do with skill. Not even close. It´s even the opposite, it´s luckbased with the lanes. Simply a matter of RNG luck and how much time you have on your hands.

For me it is either a save option or GG WP NO RE because real life.

Does any of you "it´s too easy then" people have the slightest clue how hard it is to find the right time to do 3 maps at once with your friends if 3 people work in different jobs?