Sign in to follow this  
ArchaicLotus

Barbarian OverPowered? Please stop. Dryad nerf? stop.

I asked the question, "why do players cry out for nerfs" because I wanted to see where some of the DD2's populace was in regards to this matter.   From a couple of people, the feedback was awesome and unbiased.  I knew that  I would be opposed to nerfing characters because, every since my first-person shooter days, I've heard the term "nerf" used. How many of you that have the Barbarian and believe that he is overpowered have exceeded floor 140? "It's not about floors Lotus, your high-horse just crapped on my thought process,", or, "that's not where the majority of the players are "(in regards to high level floors)  Where you are now, in the game, is not where you are wanting to be.  This game IS all about progress, and the Devs made a badass rpg style tank that is going to be amazing on high end floors.  If someone is running a floor with me, the Barbarian gets sent to the toughest lane hands-down.  Did you ever think that the Devs may have just done  the Barbarian right?

Everybody is thinking in the now, not realizing that the future is what awaits.  The game gets really hard and the Barbarian is one solution.  If this hero weren't created the future would probably be seeing posts begging for a hero that can tank. Oh how often do Siege rollers, Ogres, Tuskar, etc. have over 200 million hit points anymore

I've read most to all of the reasons why some people think that the Dryad should be nerfed. The main theme is "meta." So what; don't use her.  "But she is the only builder that has the most effective traps vs. the mutators..." etc.  This is EXACTLY why all hero towers should be elevated to suit the Onslaught gameplay.  A nerf does not logically solve this equation.  People were griping about how long and arduous the Prestige mode was, and it was changed a bit.  Now it is too easy?  You won't be prestiging forever and you will be facing lanes that have multiple mutators.  But you are stuck in the process of lower level mobs so you think that because it is too easy the "meta" hero should be nerfed.  This, again, is not even logical.  Again, you don't have to use her.  The most beneficial solution is to get rid of hero towers that are barely used and to provide all heroes with towers/traps that are effective.  Bump up the hero towers that are of little use currently, even.

Stop calling out for a nerf when the game gets to a difficulty that most people are not even familiar with yet, and, after taking advantage of prestiging, your goal will be to climb to the highest floor possible (assumed).  Stop asking for things to be weakened when the mass of players was calling out that things are too difficult.  Back and forth.

I am passionate about this game because it is a blast and I don't want it ruined with illogical reasoning.  Just because something is a "meta" does not mean that that "meta" needs to be dumbed down.  The "meta's" surroundings need to be brought up.  In Call of duty there was a sniper rifle that was too powerful and too accurate at any distance.  What did Treyarch do?  They elevated all other weapon classes to balance out the desire for everyone to be a sniper.  "This isn't Call of Duty." Well, the aforementioned example IS a good business model.

You must be new around here. Every time a hero is released it is OP at launch and it is balanced later. It's just a fact that Barbarian is currently over powered and it is inevitable that it will be balanced at some point.

When Abyss Lord was added, he was the strongest hero in the game. He was eventually balanced.

When Series EV 2 was added, she was the strongest hero in the game. She was eventually balanced.

When Gun Witch was added, she was the strongest hero in the game. She was eventually balanced.

When Lavamancer was added, he was actually pretty weak. This was the first time a hero was not OP when it was added. But he got buffed. His Fissure & Volcano were very powerful because Fissure was free defenses that did a decent amount of damage for 0 DU, and his Volcano was absurd. Then he was balanced.

When Mystic was added, she was maybe not the strongest, because there were other OP heroes at the time, but she was pretty OP herself. She was eventually balanced.

When Dryad was added, she was OP. She was eventually balanced.

When Barbarian was added, he was and still is OP. He will eventually be balanced.

Some of the heroes have gone through cycles of being OP, balanced, OP, under powered, OP, balanced, but one thing is certain (and TE themselves have openly admitted it) and that is that new heroes are always intentionally made over powered and eventually get balanced.

@Hom-Sha-Bom quote:

When Gun Witch was added, she was the strongest hero in the game. She was eventually balanced.

Ehhhhh... Debatable imo. She was one of the best at abusing the storm gloves (RIP that 97% damage reduction the next patch lmao), but she herself long stood as one of the weakest heroes in terms of DPS, although probably the 3rd best in CC after AL and Mystic. And I say that as a person who was absolutely loved her and used her like crazy (until the loot system made her not drop relics...).

100% agree on the intentional over buffing of new characters tho lol.

As far as dryad... I really don't think she's even close to OP. It's fissures and weapon manufacturer all over again. It's the lazy way. It's the way that requires the least thought and effort, even though there are better ways

People that play a lot usually take the easy and quick builds. Because people see the really high lvled/ranked players using these builds, people assume they're the strongest strategies, and spam them, thus setting the meta...

People get tired of seeing a meta, assume its cause they're OP, and ask them to be nerfed to the point people can't use them to be lazy. Happens every single time.  Never understand the why. Just been here too long to not notice the how...

@xArcAngel quote:
@Hom-Sha-Bom quote:

Ehhhhh... Debatable imo. She was one of the best at abusing the storm gloves (RIP that 97% damage reduction the next patch lmao), but she herself long stood as one of the weakest heroes in terms of DPS, although probably the 3rd best in CC after AL and Mystic. And I say that as a person who was absolutely loved her and used her like crazy (until the loot system made her not drop relics...).

100% agree on the intentional over buffing of new characters tho lol.

As far as dryad... I really don't think she's even close to OP. It's fissures and weapon manufacturer all over again. It's the lazy way. It's the way that requires the least thought and effort, even though there are better ways

People that play a lot usually take the easy and quick builds. Because people see the really high lvled/ranked players using these builds, people assume they're the strongest strategies, and spam them, thus setting the meta...

People get tired of seeing a meta, assume its cause they're OP, and ask them to be nerfed to the point people can't use them to be lazy. Happens every single time.  Never understand the why. Just been here too long to not notice the how...

you have a point, can't argue with that

Considering the end gamemode in DD2 and how everything caps out for heroes - i would always like to see buffs over nerfs. We need all the power we can get to make it to 114... 

I've have been lurking these back and forth posts for the past few days, and i have not seen anyone mention the main reason why any of these heroes will be seeing "nerfs";the boatload of unintended behaviors(aka bugs)
Dryad:  We have to agree how strong she is, to the point that she still sees use for bees, as they are the only physical tower that can go through shielders/vanguard etc. etc. But what makes the Vicious strike "No Walls" build so desirable is the fact that corrupted slimes, not only applies oil to zerkers, can slow zerkers and Unstoppable enemies down. The only other slow that works on zerkers is the mutator from phased. so our slime over here is as strong as a mutator, nothing wrong with that. 

Barb: Barb infinite health comes from the fact that base siphon stance heals for 7% max health, shard bonus is literally added up instead a percent of, so heal gets buffed to 32% of max health, clearly a bug. Then there is lighting stance that i will not go into details because the level of it is far beyond what any other hero has ever had. Once these are address, we can begin discussion whether or not these heroes are still overpowered or not. barbarian.png

Edit: spelling

why is everyone on drayds case, buff others as opposed to nerf, if you dont have a hero dont complain about him being overpowered etc, 

@Uchihia quote:

why is everyone on drayds case, buff others as opposed to nerf, if you dont have a hero dont complain about him being overpowered etc, 

SimonB identified an issue thats probably a bug more then a nerf. The description of the lady orcs clearly says it should be resistant to all forms of slow, and yet slimes oil slows them.

One could look at that as either a nerf or a bug depending on perspective.