Sign in to follow this  
Toomuchsugar

Mana Bomb/Purity Bomb

Currently Mana and Purity Bomb are not effected by boost effects such as Hero Boost, for the sake of consistency and to make Apprentice/Adept a more viable dps character, I would like to see this changed.

Currently I've heard it argued that this would be too strong, they may be right, but there is a very simple solution to this. Reduce the damage, but balance it so while boosted you still get a decent increase from it.

You shouldn't be punished for playing as a group, other classes have their abilities become more effective while boosted and these fellas should too.

Are Harbingers ghosts/undead? Are they effected by Purity Bomb? Should they be?

Not all abilities stack with boosts. Tons of things don't stack with other things. Heck, Monk boosts break if other people are using the same boosts!

As for the two bomb spells, they could use less ridiculous scaling at low levels. It's gamebreaking against ogres and bosses early-game, and underwhelming at late-game.

I think the best solution is to further specialize the two bombs. Since purity bomb is the "hit everything for a little" bomb and mana bomb is the " hit a few for a lot", I'd like to see cooldown modifiers -- a purity bomb that recharges faster the more enemies you hit, and a mana bomb that recharges faster the fewer enemies you hit, both up to a limit.

@Zurkov quote:

Heck, Monk boosts break if other people are using the same boosts!

I fixed this bug so in update 4 the highest boost will always be used

I support making mana/purity bomb scale with hero boost. You could probably get a really, really good mana bomb boosted around 200M, but it has a freakishly long cooldown so it would be relatively balanced.

Honestly, I don't like how mana bomb either vaporizes everything instantly or it is useless. If the difficulty ramps up enough that the bomb can't kill them in one hit, then it is effectively useless as-is. I think the cooldown is much to blame for this all-or-nothing issue.

@gigazelle quote:

I support making mana/purity bomb scale with hero boost. You could probably get a really, really good mana bomb boosted around 200M, but it has a freakishly long cooldown so it would be relatively balanced.

Imagine how easy Polybius would be if you had 5 apps with mana bomb and 1 booster. If we say they will do 200m per mana bomb, then they will deal 1B dmg every 45 sec (If they use it at the same time). Even though 45 sec is a long cooldown, I think it should be even longer if boosting is gonna have an affect on the dmg. With that said, I don't think anyone would want to use app if it had a very long cooldown and therefore I think the app is good just how it is now.

That would take a) impeccable timing, since mana bomb is affected by distance; b) incredible stats (my mana bomb stat is I think 3k and does something like 25M damage); and c) is still totally outclassed by proton blast. I don't think we'd see a meta shift with this change, but I do think we could potentially see a few more DPS apps enter the fray.

@gigazelle quote:

That would take a) impeccable timing, since mana bomb is affected by distance; b) incredible stats (my mana bomb stat is I think 3k and does something like 25M damage); and c) is still totally outclassed by proton blast. I don't think we'd see a meta shift with this change, but I do think we could potentially see a few more DPS apps enter the fray.

It doesn't take extremely good timing, you just have to get close enough. Proton is good if the enemy stands still, but won't be able to do nearly as much dmg when it's moving. An example is the last boss in Polybius, it takes a long time to kill it since it moves a lot and therefore the beam won't do that much dmg. With mana bomb you just need to get close enough to use it. But yeah if the enemy stands still then app can't compare with ev's beam

Use a controller, you can auto-lock and hit every tick with ease.

@Area 51 quote:It doesn't take extremely good timing, you just have to get close enough. Proton is good if the enemy stands still, but won't be able to do nearly as much dmg when it's moving. An example is the last boss in Polybius, it takes a long time to kill it since it moves a lot and therefore the beam won't do that much dmg. With mana bomb you just need to get close enough to use it. But yeah if the enemy stands still then app can't compare with ev's beam

I don't understand how no one gets that abilities can be scaled, AS IT IS NOW IT WOULD TOTALLY BE OP if all we did was allow it to be boosted by monks. That's not what anyone wants or I even suggested we do.

Cut it's current damage by lets say 50%(<-- this is where it gets tested and balanced), then let it be boosted. Even the range can be adjusted if needed.

Very few damaging hero abilities are not effected by boost effects, this makes the mana/purity bomb interaction with boost, or lack of it, not intuitive. If we can change this one ability and make it competitive or situationally good, then imo it's good for the game and adds another tool for players to use while thinking outside the box.

@Toomuchsugar quote:Cut it's current damage by lets say 50%(<-- this is where it gets tested and balanced), then let it be boosted. Even the range can be adjusted if needed.

Without arguing any specifics, I kind of like purity bomb the way it is.

[[31834,users]] quote:
b) incredible stats (my mana bomb stat is I think 3k and does something like 25M damage)

Mana bomb scales really well, with 5.4k you're 50m. If you somehow get into 7k ab2, you're hitting over 70m damage. It doesn't takes that long to get a decent, since my app with supreme gear and non upgraded accs almost hits 5k.

[[30696,users]] quote:
Cut it's current damage by lets say 50%(<-- this is where it gets tested and balanced), then let it be boosted. Even the range can be adjusted if needed.

Then you would be nerfing the bombs when not being boosted so they could be boosted, making people use solo apps even less. That would also be another indirect buff to monk, making it even more overused if that goes through.

If you want to hit more with mana bomb, just make it so enemy drain makes bosses take more damage, since enemy drain already works with mana bomb. That way you're making dps initiate more useful too