Sign in to follow this  
Plane

Should we nerf LTs versus bosses?

In another thread, I tried to get a discussion going about nerfing LTs versus bosses:

Would the community be willing to consider the following two items separately?

① Nerf LTs versus bosses – LTs should not be boss killers
 ② Nerf LTs in general

I have a feeling more people would agree to the former than the latter.  Right now, even though a lot of people agree with a nerf, there's also a lot of resistance to nerfing LTs.  The CDT needs a consensus to rebalance stuff, and I don't really see a consensus here.

So I'm hoping we can get some more discussion on how and whether we should do ①, since I have a feeling it might be possible to get a consensus on that.

But the thread kind of died, and right now there isn't enough consensus for the CDT to do anything with LTs.  So I'd like to ask two questions:

→ Question 1: Would you support nerfing LTs versus bosses?

→ Question 2: Specifically, would you support making LTs unable to damage any boss?

If your answers are yes to 1 and no to 2, please explain what kind of nerf vs bosses you'd prefer.

@Plane quote:

A small nerf would be fine against bosses specifically. I can see how the current ToL build isn't how the map was intended to be beaten.

@Plane quote:

→ Question 2: Specifically, would you support making LTs unable to damage any boss?

Against this. I feel like defeating bosses with towers should be a viable solution in some cases as this is primarily a Tower Defense game.

I think that, to promote fun in any meta, it always better to improve on the lesser used aspects of the game instead of discouraging the use of fun things.

@Plane quote:

Question 1:

Yes. LTs make it so you don't actually need to interact with the boss. On other towers, you may have to position them in a way that they'll be able to hit the boss, etc. With LTs, their bounce enables them to hit and kill bosses from a safe, far distance.  

This segues into question 2 -- Towers should be able to harm bosses. However, they should play a supplementary, supporting role rather than being the sole means of killing a boss. For this reason, LTs (and all towers) should be able to hit bosses, but need to do less damage against them, or have a more limited means of hitting them. For example: think about trying to hit the dragon on Summit with harpoons. You need to specifically build towers in a closer location to have an effect. This requires you to commit DU to boss killing, which naturally takes DU away from your defences on the main waves. This seems like it'd be a fair balance and my preference for towers against bosses.

TL;DR: Towers should be able to help kill bosses, not do the whole job. Make it so you need to commit DU resources to boss killing aka reduce range or scope, etc.

All being said, Plane's mentioned that the range feature would be hard to do against bosses like Phoenix/Cupid (which I think are the main culprits) since they're really not that far away from you. If adjusting range is not a feasible option, reducing dmg versus bosses would have to be the runner up option.

Cheers,

Hippo

Okay, seems like people have pretty much rejected "LTs can't target bosses".  Some people would like a damage nerf, and you all are free to discuss that. 

My personal feeling is that a damage reduction vs bosses is bad game design because it won't change how people kill bosses, it'll just annoy them by making it take longer without actually affecting game balance at all.  So I'm not going to push for that, but if most people think it's a good idea we can do it anyway.

I know that if LTs had a 50% damage nerf versus bosses, I'd still use them the exact same way and plan on going AFK slightly longer, lol.

@Plane quote:

My personal feeling is that a damage reduction vs bosses is bad game design because it won't change how people kill bosses, it'll just annoy them by making it take longer without actually affecting game balance at all.  So I'm not going to push for that, but if most people think it's a good idea we can do it anyway.

I know that if LTs had a 50% damage nerf versus bosses, I'd still use them the exact same way and plan on going AFK slightly longer, lol.

I didn't consider this when making my post and I agree with you, if LTs are going to do any dmg to bosses then I'd want it to be 100% of the dmg.

@Plane quote:

Great point that I hadn't thought of.

Change my answers to both questions to 'No' then.

(And I'll keep beating a dead horse by saying that some other towers should be buffed, instead. That defeating maps with Towers in a Tower Defense game should remain viable (Even if DPS is still the better route to go, most of the time))