Sign in to follow this  
Double Dark

Event Item System Concepts

I've thought of ways to make events less of a hassle for the CDT without making the items too easy to obtain.

1. Add a new item/currency like Coal which drops in a certains map or is a reward at the end of most difficult maps. This currency would be used to buy event items which would be sold by the Tavernkeep. The list of event items could be rotated daily/weekly or all items could be listed but the prices for different each item would vary. Perhaps the original event items would not listed to appease certain people. (Warframe ducats) 

2. Add a queue system for an event map that rewards a random event item upon completion. This map could be random from a pool of maps or change over time. Add a limit how often people can participate or complete the map. This would encourage community play and communication.  (WOW raids and daily dungeons)

Both ideas could be implemented simultaneously, but it would be nice to have SOME way to feasibly obtain event items without being screwed if you missed an event. Trading for these items isn't exactly reasonable for the majority of players, either.

3. Add a ridiculously hard challenge where players have to co-operate like the Event maps, to actually beat them. Maybe PI style. It gets gradually Harder, eventually becoming Impossible, where you get one random Event reward based on what wave you passed. And possibly a metric tonne of Mana.

Personally, I'm completely against the introduction of past Event gear. I don't own any of the event gear except the rewards for the last 2 Events. I don't feel remotely close to needing them. Sure, owning a few of the iconic ones would be cool and all, but I don't need any of them. The only things I'm having trouble with is Polybius NMHC, Embermount Survival past wave 36, and probably other survivals like ToW, that I haven't tried yet. And I'm fairly sure, that if I was to equip some Event Weapons/Gear, they would still be relatively the same difficulty.

Making it too easy to get the Event gear will break trading indefinitely. Adding a new currency would just add another trading element, allowing some players to get a HUGE boost while others have to self-farm.

Making it too hard, and we will have the same few people complaining. 

Making it very Hard Solo, but easier in a large group, seems like the best thing. The DD RnG group would get a bunch of new members as well. How I propose the challenge would work.

• ALL Enemies scale their HP/Damage based on total player count(like they do on survival). Enough so that it is harder with 1 player, but not IMPOSSIBLY hard with 4-6(encourage JOLLY CO-OPERATION).
  • The Difficulty increases every 60 or so seconds. 
  • Boss Waves thrown into the mix to keep players from being Carried/Going AFK.
  • A system like CD NMHC, where HC has to be enabled to get the reward.
  • Basically a Marathon, Like CD, Polybius and Pirate Invasion,
This sort of challenge would mean, you don't get lvl 74's with <1k stats getting High Tier Events. Only the people with the Skill and the Stats will be able to get them. Like the old events, if I understand the past events correctly.

I'm not too into the idea of a return of the event items, but I thought I should just participate in the Community Update Brain-storming.

Event items are not necessary in any way and should not be farm-able. 

1. Run the event.

2. Win giveaways.

3. Trade.

These should be the only way to obtain event items.

I have a fair few event items now and 70% of them are from giveaways and 30% from running events. (I don't trade)

Be active on the forums/steam DDRnG chat and you'll come by some event items soon enough if you don't want to trade like me.

I can understand people not liking a change when they've visited the forums for years and are used to the old system. That's not the kind of person this appeals to. I can also see people not liking the idea of old event items being listed, but that doesn't mean new items couldn't be.

I disagree that this would kill trading. In fact, I'm pretty sure it would increase trading because more people would have something to trade. However, it would definitely change the value of a lot of items. I never said that grinding the event items would be easy, either. I'm just suggesting that most items be available if you're willing to devote a lot of time to the game. I also don't like the idea of being forced to haggle for a limited supply commodity in an even more limited market.

@Pulchritudinous Washboard quote:

Event items are not necessary in any way and should not be farm-able. 

1. Run the event.

2. Win giveaways.

3. Trade.

These should be the only way to obtain event items.

I have a fair few event items now and 70% of them are from giveaways and 30% from running events. (I don't trade)

Be active on the forums/steam DDRnG chat and you'll come by some event items soon enough if you don't want to trade like me.

I agree. Even though event items are fun to use, they should stay EVENT items.

That means they should only be won practically through events.

I completely disagree. whilst a rotating list of items purchasable with maprewarded currencie is decent, there souldnt be a single event item on this list.

If you are trying to "farm" event items, gear up and get currencie- or get really lucky in a Giveaway.

@Double Dark quote:

I also don't like the idea of being forced to haggle for a limited supply commodity in an even more limited market.

How are you being forced to haggle? You're not forced to do anything, like I said event items aren't necessary. 

You shouldn't be handed event items on a sliver platter just because you don't want to interact with the community i.e. the 3 things I listed above. 

@Double Dark quote:

I disagree that this would kill trading. In fact, I'm pretty sure it would increase trading because more people would have something to trade. 

Literally everyone has a chance to run the event and get the item, that seems like enough people to trade with to me. If event items where made farm-able then I wouldn't even have a reason to enter giveaways and run events with friends. You might see that as a plus but I 100% don't.

My personal opinion is that i am against this. The main goal of events in my opinion is to have a unique challenge that tests your abilities in ways that you may not see in general levels. If we made event items something you just had to stick to the normal grind then that kind of takes away the main point of events in my eyes. 

@harry4550 quote:

My personal opinion is that i am against this. The main goal of events in my opinion is to have a unique challenge that tests your abilities in ways that you may not see in general levels. If we made event items something you just had to stick to the normal grind then that kind of takes away the main point of events in my eyes. 

Basically said what I was going to, so just quoting your post. <33

I am strongly against this idea, both for past event items and future event items.

Having event items permanently available removes the very thing that makes them special. While I am sad that I've missed out on rainmakers and magicites, I would never dream of introducing a way to make them permanently available. That would significantly reduce the hype and attendance of events, since you could just farm for it later. Since they'd in essence be part of the game, why even have events at that point?

Events and event rewards are an integral part of the current state of the community. Making them mainstream would actively hurt how events are run.

This thread has really got me fired up.  I have a lot to say on this subject, and I know all parties will find my thoughts and ideas fascinating and intriguing (and so, so relevant).

First, let me be clear that I am strongly

The cliffhanger of a lifetime.

I'm dying here, man.