Sign in to follow this  
gigazelle

Summoner DPS

Question: Do you want the ability for DPS summoners to be relevant?

It wouldn't be many changes, but increasing pet scaling on the summoner would be the primary one, if a lot of people would like that option.

No. Summoners were meant to be a tower class. Furthermore, you rely fully on pets to deal damage, so you cannot really direct where your damage goes. I'd rather see summoner changed in other ways that make them useful in Survival.

They're already relevant.  They have the unique ability to farm armor while killing mobs, opening chests, and flash healing defenses on survival.  They can equip two pets, which can be two guardians, djinnlet + imp for AFK repairing your survival, or even fairy+cat in a DPS group on Polybius.  They're also great hybrid builders on certain maps, especially present delivery with a monkey or parrot.

In other words, even though summoners do terrible DPS, there are lots of unique reasons you'd use a summoner in combat phase anyway.  That makes an interesting trade-off for the player, which is a good thing.

Only place I ever wanted a summoner dps to work is on the sky city boss fight, so I could phase on the boat, but this doesn't work. Other than that, I can't think of a good reason to have it as a dps class.

While we're talking about the summon, I would like to see them able to equip any animus. While it's equipped as the primary pet, maps reward for that classes animus rather than just monk.

@Toomuchsugar quote:

While we're talking about the summon, I would like to see them able to equip any animus.

Right now animi are based on which weapons you can equip.  Jesters can equip any weapon, so they can equip any animus.  Summoners can't equip any weapon, so they can't equip any animus.

@Plane quote:

Right now animi are based on which weapons you can equip.  Jesters can equip any weapon, so they can equip any animus.  Summoners can't equip any weapon, so they can't equip any animus.

Currently yes, but I see no harm in fixing it(assuming it is even fixable).
I use a Battle Droid on my upgrade Summoner, which looks so out of place.
I'd give it up in a heart-beat if I was able to equip my Huntress or even Apprentice Animus! :D

@Black Mamba quote:Currently yes, but I see no harm in fixing it(assuming it is even fixable).

It can be changed if the community wants it.  There is no technical reason it can't be fixed.  I was only reporting the current behavior so people understand what's happening right now.

My only changes/tweaks I'd like to see on Summoner would be:
1. Animus Pets can be equipped on Summoners. There are some people who QQ about "but muh lore/continuity". And I can point out 20 things that don't fit the lore/continuity in this game, but are they are there and no one cares.

2. Tie Summoner Move Speed to Summoner Rate(Or Range, whichever feels and fits better). And add a short burst time to summoner to go in Phase Mode and still be able to interact with items / NPC / Chests etc. which has like minimum 2 minute cooldown with like 2K points in AB1(caps at 2 mins), and the lesser the points the higher the cooldown time. Name it Phase Burst or something! Mainly becasue often you find there is a good Ult or Sup piece dropped somewhere far off on the map and you can't go out there and pick it up. But then suddenly you get disconnected thereby losing the piece! :D

@Black Mamba quote:

Mainly becasue often you find there is a good Ult or Sup piece dropped somewhere far off on the map and you can't go out there and pick it up. But then suddenly you get disconnected thereby losing the piece! :D

I think I just made that exact point somewhere else. I have quite terrible internet if I'm not hogging all the bandwidth, thus, the ability to pick up said Sup or Ult piece would be greatly beneficial.

"Get Better Internet" or "fix your internet" aren't a very good solutions, as most internet plans are locked into a year or 2, and simply fixing your internet requires help from the ISP's side. A lot of effort for something so easily avoidable.

@Caimen0 quote:

No. Summoners were meant to be a tower class. Furthermore, you rely fully on pets to deal damage, so you cannot really direct where your damage goes. I'd rather see summoner changed in other ways that make them useful in Survival.

@gigazelle quote:

It wouldn't be many changes, but increasing pet scaling on the summoner would be the primary one, if a lot of people would like that option.

Instead of adding a DPS ability to the summoner make it to where the other summoner towers don't move off the buffs thus being useful in survival builds. (warrior,orc, ogre minons)

My two cents (though I've said both before):

@gigazelle quote:

It already is.

If you're asking if it should be buffed at all: My answer is firmly No.

I feel that summoner is already performing perfectly well. I also feel that the CDT should be focusing on classes that clearly aren't as good as others (initiate, countess) instead of the ones that are already on top.

@Plane quote:

It can be changed if the community wants it.

I, personally, really enjoy the way Animus pets currently perform, and would be disinterested in any change (aside from a possible buff / ult chance).