Sign in to follow this  
Ausfin

How to fix shard drop rates.

I haven't been playing DD2 long but already I am feeling frustrated by the low drop rates for some shards. What makes the pain real is getting many many many shards for hero's that I do not own.

I've seen a lot of people talking about the issue but nothing that I'd consider a really viable fix. Being able to buy or make shards will simply stop shards being RNG and introduce another (4th?!) currency into the game.

Therefore I propose that shards be treated the same way as weapons. 

Only shards that are useable by characters in your deck can drop. 

This will remove the pain of seeing literally unusable shards drop and reduce the pool of available shards effectively increasing the drop rate.

I personally dont like the idea of a new currency but perhaps if we could trade existing shards in for a new one (RNG) of the same teir at about a 5:1 ratio could be good. Just the way it is at the moment I feel it puts a barrier against anyone that doesn't want to spend 20-30 hours in each teir each time they want a new hero. Is shard grinding the end game or is onslaughts?

Or maybe take out the RNG factor and make it where a pack of 5 random shards is 500 DM and a guaranteed shard of your pick is 1500. Yeah the price is steep but it’s the idea you get to choose what you want. Therefore helping progress you a bit quicker. 

My suggestion :

1. You pick a shard you want from a list
  2. You have to pay 50 DM * the chaos level of the shard you want + 50
  3. On top of it, you have to sacrifice a certain amount of "undiscovered shard" from that chaos tier (this is in order to make sure a player who hasn't reached chaos 5 can't obtain chaos 5 shards of his choosing)
  4. You get your shard

example :

• Campaign shard = 50 DM
  • Chaos 2 shard = 150 DM
  • Chaos 7 shard = 400 DM

(and I don't know how many shard pack...)

It may sound low but if you consider "1 map = 25 DM", it's 16 maps just to get ONE C7 shard of your choice, and on top of it, having to sacrifice "undiscovered shards", which means potentially sacrificing one containing what you wanted.

@Trichouette quote:

My suggestion :

1. You pick a shard you want from a list
  2. You have to pay 50 DM * the chaos level of the shard you want + 50
  3. On top of it, you have to sacrifice a certain amount of "undiscovered shard" from that chaos tier (this is in order to make sure a player who hasn't reached chaos 5 can't obtain chaos 5 shards of his choosing)
  4. You get your shard

example :

• Campaign shard = 50 DM
  • Chaos 2 shard = 150 DM
  • Chaos 7 shard = 400 DM

(and I don't know how many shard pack...)

It may sound low but if you consider "1 map = 25 DM", it's 16 maps just to get ONE C7 shard of your choice, and on top of it, having to sacrifice "undiscovered shards", which means potentially sacrificing one containing what you wanted.

Good system, like the idea of it. I would gladly do that. I hate RNG. Took me like a year or so to get like 8 power transfers and a couple vamp empowers and like 7 deadly strikes. I would gladly sacrifice DM for guaranteed shards of my choosing. Since I’ve spent 20k defender medals on C3 shard packs and only got 3 deadly strikes.

@TMyth quote:

Good system, like the idea of it. I would gladly do that. I hate RNG. Took me like a year or so to get like 8 power transfers and a couple vamp empowers and like 7 deadly strikes. I would gladly sacrifice DM for guaranteed shards of my choosing. Since I’ve spent 20k defender medals on C3 shard packs and only got 3 deadly strikes.

My friend struggle to get his first deadly strike, meanwhile I got my third one and I have no idea what to put it on xD

More seriously, even though DD2 is a grinding game, and I have no issue with this, I believe EVERY grinding game should have a way to reward your player every now and then with something they really want.

A system that allow your player to get something he wants in exchange for him grinding is great in my opinion.

The player did what you expected him to do, he deserves his reward.

Sacrificing "non opened" shard is a tricky idea though. You leave the player the choice of opening them to maybe obtain what they want, or keep them to exchange them for a 100% chance at getting what they want...

@Trichouette quote:

@TMyth quote:

My friend struggle to get his first deadly strike, meanwhile I got my third one and I have no idea what to put it on xD

More seriously, even though DD2 is a grinding game, and I have no issue with this, I believe EVERY grinding game should have a way to reward your player every now and then with something they really want.

A system that allow your player to get something he wants in exchange for him grinding is great in my opinion.

The player did what you expected him to do, he deserves his reward.

Sacrificing "non opened" shard is a tricky idea though. You leave the player the choice of opening them to maybe obtain what they want, or keep them to exchange them for a 100% chance at getting what they want...

Honestly not a problem, after hundreds of C3 shards I don’t have many of the only shard that’s good from C3. So I’d definitely take that gamble

@Ausfin quote:

I haven't been playing DD2 long but already I am feeling frustrated by the low drop rates for some shards. What makes the pain real is getting many many many shards for hero's that I do not own.

I've seen a lot of people talking about the issue but nothing that I'd consider a really viable fix. Being able to buy or make shards will simply stop shards being RNG and introduce another (4th?!) currency into the game.

This will remove the pain of seeing literally unusable shards drop and reduce the pool of available shards effectively increasing the drop rate.

I one hundred percant agree, around 25% of the shards i have gotton are gunwitch shards. And i never plan on buying the gunwitch anyways. Its just so annoying and I'd rather get shards for my actuall dps heros.

@TheGreenGolem quote:

@Ausfin quote:

I one hundred percant agree, around 25% of the shards i have gotton are gunwitch shards. And i never plan on buying the gunwitch anyways. Its just so annoying and I'd rather get shards for my actuall dps heros.

Adding a trade system / market which use defender medal / gems as currency would be another idea...

(warframe did it, partially)

it would be nice if when a shard pack was opened, that you could tell by looking at each one whether or not you already have it, and how many of it you have if you do. I end up keeping a ton of shards because....i'm just not sure if i already have it or not, and i don't want to comb through 3-4 pages of shards to find out if i have one, let alone multiples.  

Click the magnifying glass. Select shards, sort by name. 

@Jaws_420 quote:

it would be nice if when a shard pack was opened, that you could tell by looking at each one whether or not you already have it, and how many of it you have if you do. I end up keeping a ton of shards because....i'm just not sure if i already have it or not, and i don't want to comb through 3-4 pages of shards to find out if i have one, let alone multiples.  

@BeerGoggles quote:

I am talking bout when i open it, the screen that pops up and says what shard you have - i would want that to tell me if it is new or not, and if not new, then how many i had. I don't like having to put it in my inventory (which is more than 1 page) and then go searching for each one, one-by-one, to see if it's new or not. Seems like a huge waste of effort. Especially given how many shards there are. 

@Jaws_420 quote:

@BeerGoggles quote:

I am talking bout when i open it, the screen that pops up and says what shard you have - i would want that to tell me if it is new or not, and if not new, then how many i had. I don't like having to put it in my inventory (which is more than 1 page) and then go searching for each one, one-by-one, to see if it's new or not. Seems like a huge waste of effort. Especially given how many shards there are. 

I actually would like to see shards stack, so as to tell how many of a type you have. And maybe cap the limit at like 5 a stack. That way people still can’t horde every single shard, but also makes it where we can manage and free up some much needed space for bags.

@TMyth quote:

I actually would like to see shards stack, so as to tell how many of a type you have. And maybe cap the limit at like 5 a stack. That way people still can’t horde every single shard, but also makes it where we can manage and free up some much needed space for bags.

love that idea 

Pretty sure ( i hope )  their next big milestone will fix shard pain points.

Hopefully like a collection book of some sort. Similar to how shard slots are now part of the UI.

Making them no longer placed in inventory, instead, they be placed in a collection that opens when you press your shard slot. 

Which would list all shards available for that slot and hero.

Preferably with some filters, maybe a search function too.

They delivered 10/10 on the shard slot fix, now they just gotta fix the things we actually put in them.

Which has been hinted at if I remember correctly.