Sign in to follow this  
[CG] LAWLTA

Upcoming Inventory Changes: Shard Concerns

Greetings Defenders,

In our upcoming update there are a lot of changes that you have requested for a while, including itemization and equipment improvements. As said in Elandrian’s Thursday Check-In post, we revealed that shards will now be placed in equipment slots and not to relics, weapons, and armor. Concerns were raised that this would overflow inventories.

These concerns have been heard and here is our current plan. In the short term, when the update is released, shards will be removed from your equipment and placed in your inventory. Any shards that would be considered overflow will be sent to the Scavenger, placed into a new pack that never expires.

This is something we are doing to ensure that the transition into the new system is as smooth as possible. We are currently investigating long term solutions based on a ton of great feedback that you all have provided, with more information coming down the road. Our goal with this post is to get this information out ahead of time to reduce any confusion alongside everything else within the update.

That’s it for now, but stay tuned for a WHIRLWIND of information coming very soon!

Thanks for the heads up. We all really appreciate it. I am super excited to try the new shard system. 

Will the new shard system be released at the same time as the changes to the gear/mule system? 

@Lawlta quote:

In the short term, when the update is released, shards will be removed from your equipment and placed in your inventory. Any shards that would be considered overflow will be sent to the Scavenger, placed into a new pack that never expires.

This is a long term solution too, a box external to the players inventory to store items in. Make it less slots than a bag, make it permanent storage and give an extra slot every now and then for challenges. Since you're working f2p you can sell extra slots in this storage, people will either buy things or find a way around their problems.

Ok

But isn't stackable shards (i.e. like consumables stack) the easiest and most straight-forward implementation to overcome inventory issues people are facing for their hoarding problem?

@Little Magic Hat quote:

But isn't stackable shards (i.e. like consumables stack) the easiest and most straight-forward implementation to overcome inventory issues people are facing for their hoarding problem?

That's a bit of a loaded question, so I'll say stacking shards has several technical difficulties that are by no means easy or straight-forward to overcome. There's also more than one way to tackle inventory pain points, which is something we're actively investigating and seeing what works best with how DD2 is now and where we are wanting to move with it in the future. :)

@Little Magic Hat quote:

Ok

And we have only 2 types of shards. Base once and fully upgraded. Nobody keeps them in levels between unupgraded and max.

@Dark Dogma quote:

And we have only 2 types of shards. Base once and fully upgraded. Nobody keeps them in levels between nonupgraded and max.

Speak for yourself. I've plenty of shards that are between base and max on my alt. Namely because I'm saving my medals for hero purchases and future pets/shard packs. Gold only goes so far, especially on Hyper shards.

Damn. I just read Dark Dogma's post more carefully and I have to say that I disagree too. I, too have a quite a number (mostly defense shards) of shards that are between.

I think I kinda see:

And we have only 2 types of shards. Base once and fully upgraded. But people do have them in levels between unupgraded and max." 

instead of 

"And we have only 2 types of shards. Base once and fully upgraded. Nobody keeps them in levels between unupgraded and max."

Fair enough

@Lawlta quote:

@Little Magic Hat quote:

That's a bit of a loaded question, so I'll say stacking shards has several technical difficulties that are by no means easy or straight-forward to overcome. There's also more than one way to tackle inventory pain points, which is something we're actively investigating and seeing what works best with how DD2 is now and where we are wanting to move with it in the future. :)

Thanks for telling us ahead.

@Lawlta quote:

It's great you're mentioning this because people like me (without any programming insight) are thinking stacking inventory items is absolutely simple. ...really curious now what the solution is going to be.