When not hard countered, proton beams hands down. Insane damage, slow and freeze all in one.

Proton beams are great but cannons have the best single target damage and their stun is insane, if you upgrade cannons they can do like 5 mil a crit and have a .75 second fire rate

@TMyth quote:

Proton beams are great but cannons have the best single target damage and their stun is insane, if you upgrade cannons they can do like 5 mil a crit and have a .75 second fire rate

Multitarget and rate of 0,38 and 2,5 mill crit on the beams though;)

Depends.

I have had good outputs with Earthshatters. The range is nasty and with a Deadly Strikes, they can reach even Hex Throwers from behind the walls.

Cannonballs are also effective when there are no Geodes around. You can just reposition them so they can shoot Shield Goblins from behind. 

Totally situational.

But I get more than 2.5M DPS out of Nimbus with HUGE range (vert and horizontal, LOS not required) and very rapid attach rate (less overkill DPS waste and more consistent crit application) at tier 1 and that is pretty dang good. They don’t scale as well with upgrades. If the calc is with upgrades I would say cannons (single target), bees (multiple targets) and proton (Full on mobs and/or fast moving targets) are a VERY high ROI.

But on onslaught the mutators and schedule can make MANY other defenses better for situations.