Sign in to follow this  
Plane

Accessory color reroll

I think someone proposed this before, but I'm not sure where, so I thought I'd make a new thread to discuss the idea.  Here's the version of the idea I have in my head at the moment:

- New machine in the tavern, similar to the Diamond Forge.  You use it to randomly re-color the accessories you're wearing.  Each time you re-color costs one coal.

What do you think?  Good idea, bad idea?

Should add weapons and pets to the item list, as they are also visible outside on inventory unless you're EV.

You use it to randomly re-color the accessories you're wearing. Each time you re-color costs one coal.

I would say make it 3-4 coals and allow players to choose the color themselves instead of relying on RNG, the accessory which dropped already had its color decided by RNG, so why the machine again?

In addition to this there should be another forge to allow increase and decrease the size of Pets well. I like big sized pets and I dislike them as well depending on what character or what reason I need them for. 

I LOVE this idea, with a few exceptions:

• I strongly disagree with it costing coal. Make it a new item that is a rare drop globally, and perhaps a map reward for the update 4 map.
  • I don't think event items should be able to be recolored. Problem is, we'd need to figure out a way to prevent it only for event items. Based on my knowledge of how items work, this might prove to be a pretty big obstacle.
  • Put weapons and pets into the mix as well. And with both of those, allow size to be randomly repicked as well. I'm pretty sick of my ToT's obscuring my vision because they are so frickin' huge.

@gigazelle quote:
  • I don't think event items should be able to be recolored. Problem is, we'd need to figure out a way to prevent it only for event items. Based on my knowledge of how items work, this might prove to be a pretty big obstacle.

I think I can manage that.

Alright so by controversial opinion i am strongly against this. For a few specific reasons the following listed below.

• People spend a large amount of time and effort in making specific matching set which encourages trading and farming with groups building community. 
  • Make this allows people that are lazy to get the same as what others have specifically spent time to make themselves look nice. It takes away from the people that did that (me as one of them). The implementation of this new system undermines that previous effort people went through in the past.
  • Adding a extra drop based item is just more bloat to the current system and i feel that if you are to implement this then it should be done with a preexisting item.

Just food for thought some people enjoy certain things and are willing to work for it. I feel that this is simply people that are not willing to put in the time or effort to get the specific colours and feel like they should be handed it on a silver platter.

Have a nice day.

@Atherial quote:Just food for thought some people enjoy certain things and are willing to work for it. I feel that this is simply people that are not willing to put in the time or effort to get the specific colours and feel like they should be handed it on a silver platter.

Contrary opinion: I've probably run more labs than all but a few players and I've never got the fancy masks in colors I want.  I don't need it handed to me on a silver platter, I've already put in more time and effort than almost everyone.  Besides, I'd have to farm the coal to use it.

@Atherial quote:

Alright so by controversial opinion i am strongly against this. For a few specific reasons the following listed below.

• People spend a large amount of time and effort in making specific matching set which encourages trading and farming with groups building community. 
  • Make this allows people that are lazy to get the same as what others have specifically spent time to make themselves look nice. It takes away from the people that did that (me as one of them). The implementation of this new system undermines that previous effort people went through in the past.
  • Adding a extra drop based item is just more bloat to the current system and i feel that if you are to implement this then it should be done with a preexisting item.

Just food for thought some people enjoy certain things and are willing to work for it. I feel that this is simply people that are not willing to put in the time or effort to get the specific colours and feel like they should be handed it on a silver platter.

Have a nice day.

I also have to disagree Ath. The community is small.. Prices of everything are lower than I could have imagined. For me planes idea would be an ideal solution because I will not trade anymore and by farming coal I can get the look I want. 

This is one idea that I very much hope would get introduced in the next update. Maybe using small coal for random colours. And 6 coal for a colour of your chosing 

@Plane quote:

@Atherial quote:Just food for thought some people enjoy certain things and are willing to work for it. I feel that this is simply people that are not willing to put in the time or effort to get the specific colours and feel like they should be handed it on a silver platter.

Contrary opinion: I've probably run more labs than all but a few players and I've never got the fancy masks in colors I want.  I don't need it handed to me on a silver platter, I've already put in more time and effort than almost everyone.  Besides, I'd have to farm the coal to use it.

So you openly admit that you are suggesting this based off a self-serving motive. That being said you guys already removed all the unique accessories from lab reducing the number of those that you pull giving you a higher chance of rolling the mask you want. Also the fact you are spending coal does not matter since the time spent will be greatly reduced. Either way it still takes away from those that did spend the time. 

I totally disagree with this,  If its not good for the game its a waste of effort and time and to me seems to be a self serving attempt to counter the efforts of farming for whats needed or expending the time to attempt to develop items for events that would better suit the community rather than self. If I sound harsh, too bad, I don't apologize for being truthful.

@Atherial quote:So you openly admit that you are suggesting this based off a self-serving motive.

Of course not.  Your personal dislike of me is showing.  I'll tell you why I brought it up:

1. Someone on the forum suggested it at one point.

2. The CDT folks (not me) brought it up in a meeting.  We weren't really in favor of it, but that was a private conversation, and I thought we should get the community's opinion too.

3. I posted it on the forum to get that opinion.

I'm not really playing DD much, so it doesn't affect me either way.  I only volunteer to do CDT stuff because I want to make the game better, and I'm making a good faith effort to get the community's opinions.  I responded because I didn't think your criticism made any sense, not because I'm greedy for red masks.

@Plane quote:

@Atherial quote:So you openly admit that you are suggesting this based off a self-serving motive.

Of course not.  Your personal dislike of me is showing.  I'll tell you why I brought it up:

1. Someone on the forum suggested it at one point.

2. The CDT folks (not me) brought it up in a meeting.  We weren't really in favor of it, but that was a private conversation, and I thought we should get the community's opinion too.

3. I posted it on the forum to get that opinion.

I'm not really playing DD much, so it doesn't affect me either way.  I only volunteer to do CDT stuff because I want to make the game better, and I'm making a good faith effort to get the community's opinions.

My personal dislike... well that is a rather funny thing to bring up on this forum as it is completely off topic. I think you have no right to speak on that topic and can keep it to yourself. I am gonna stop posting on this thread since i do not want this to derail into another worthless fight and a waste of my time. My opinion is posted above and may it serve as another hat in the ring. 

Have a good day/night

After reading the counter viewpoints on this thread, I think I somewhat agree. Even though I do want a feature to have my accs colored the way I want and not rely on [double] RNG -- I think it will indeed take away the fun of grinding and trading.
- For instance, I've been looking for a DPS Moustache in black or brown color variant for about 3 months now -- https://dungeondefenders.com/1/topic/148625/ -- Now I don't ever play Lab Assault, so my options are pretty much limited to trading and shop-hopping. But then again, relying on trading and shop-hopping is what makes getting things like these a bit of fun for me personally. Makes for a good story as well -- you hunted for something for those many months!
- Another example would be my full Red Annatar Accessory Set down the to shield. This is something which took me like over 9 months(from Sept 2016) to come across finding proper pieces for my character with proper stats. I could've just grinded Palantir off, but I chose to rely on trading and shop-hopping trying to find pieces becasue I find that bit fun more than just outright grinding maps.

So all things considered, I definitely see the merit of the arguments against this system. Popular opinion is not always the best.

Also the trading part of the game is fairly dead these days, but that is due to reasons related to active player counts and less about the game economy itself.

@Atherial quote:
@Atherial quote:

So you openly admit that you are suggesting this based off a self-serving motive.

So you immediately assume that Gigazelle's idea of a world drop to affect the color of the items is going to be the law of the land when there's not even a full page of discussion, then immediately attack the motives of the CDT when questioned...

Have I seen this before?

⠀⠰⡿⠿⠛⠛⠻⠿⣷
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣄⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣀⣤⣄⣀⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣷⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠛⣿⣿⣿⡛⠿⠷
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⠿⠿⠋⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠁

⠀⠀⠀⠀⣿⣷⣄⠀⢶⣶⣷⣶⣶⣤⣀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⠻⠗
⠀⠀⠀⣰⣿⣿⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣴⣶⡄
⠀⣠⣾⣿⣿⣿⣥⣶⣶⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠿⠿⠛⠃
⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄
⢸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡁
⠈⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡿⠟
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉

Why yes, I seem to remember this pattern coming from EagleOne with basically every stinking change related to RNG the CDT offered.

For what it's worth, making the color change tied to a world drop is a bad idea because you're telling players to fix a bad RNG roll with more RNG. You also can't make each item a different color because every item has 2 separate color pallets which rarely intersect in a significant manner.

@Atherial quote:

I've only seen Mambo, Nova, and PJtor do this ever. I have characters that match a color set because I got a weapon and/or pet  first, then changed color set to match. Setting a distinct color pattern first and then getting items is just waiting setting yourself up to eat sh*t when you drop a ++ that isn't the color you want. I already eat enough sh*t with negative stats thank you very much.

@Atherial quote:

That being said you guys already removed all the unique accessories from lab reducing the number of those that you pull giving you a higher chance of rolling the mask you want. Also the fact you are spending coal does not matter since the time spent will be greatly reduced. Either way it still takes away from those that did spend the time. 

At this point I'm being a nitpicking asshat but this only applies to CD mask and Annatar really. Maquerades, and Ember masks don't change color, nobody uses turkey, and Beards really don't change color. Should have said hat or bracers.

First things first Caimen you are taking things out of context much like a certain scenario that i remember very well..... 

That first statement was made in my first comment that was based off the idea of sharing ideas in a calm and reasonable way. I was adding feedback on the first statements made by mambo saying that another world drop is not a good fix you even admit it yourself in a later part of your response. This is stating the following in basic bite sized terms "I think that making a new item to do it is not a good idea due to bloat and a secondary RNG fix to a RNG problem, Therefor i would rather it use preexisting items". Sorta hard to have a page of discussion if you are unable to place a constructive counter argument without it being taken out of context. 

For the second statement if you read the order in which things were stated i got a comment send back to me and thus I responded with a statement. This was not based off any prior posts mainly the one plane posted in response to mine. It had nothing to do with the CDT's motives as a entity just a singular entity. You imply that i am attacking the motives of the CDT when that response was clearly a response from plane and not the CDT as a whole. You can clearly tell based off the way references are listed. I also want to point out that i was not questioned by the generic sense the statement plane posted was more personal than it had any right to be which you can notice in the secondary response chain. Thus as a response to my constructive feedback i get a worthless impulsive response that added nothing to the conversation....

Another thing to respond to your very bottom comment, I think you have no idea what i am talking about. This is not due to the color of the acc. It is based off the idea that the pool of acc from lab has reduced by a fair bit making the chances of rolling fancy masks higher as is. Meaning if you use to get 10 masks in 400 acc now you would get lets say 15 in 400 making it already take less time to roll that specific item in the the color you want.

I hope this is the last time i have to post in this thread but knowing the consistancy of this community from a senario i remember i think that i will again have to respond. What a shame.....

Apparently you didn't even read that I agree that if implemented this shouldn't be a world drop...

You attacked Plane's personal motives for playing Devil's Advocate. Is that really the hill you want to die on? This thread was made because the CDT as a group had an issue they wanted the community response on, and you shoot the messenger. You ought to know this is the method the CDT use by now, and I'm sure you understand what "playing devil's advocate" means, and yet you decide that questioning the personal motives of a CDT member is the correct response? My criticism is entirely justified, and your explanation doesn't change that.

I'm still in favor of this new color machine.  But I wonder about newer players.  They would be locked out of using the machine because coal isn't easy to obtain.  What about having some number of small coal also operate the machine?  I'm not sure what a good ratio would be.  You could also have a coal worth more than one "roll" on the machine while small coal (or two) gets you one roll.

I'm not against the usage of small coals too, but accessories aren't really useful at lower levels so it wouldn't hurt them not be able to reroll colors before they get the use for accessories.
I'd listen to what they have to say about that, instead of chosing for them though.

I can't really support this as I consider an item's looks to be a stat. 

Spending X amount of coal to get my best accessories to a color I want forever is too cheap. It should not be too easily accessible. I like the idea of a global rare drop like a new egg, or require an additional sacrifice of an accessory with the same quality and type (eg. Supreme Cornucopia).

It could include pet sizes, but I have mixed feelings about being able to make all my pets gigantic while devaluing the rarity of existing large pets, event and non event. Weapons should not re-roll as they have much more to gain. Melee weapons would absolutely benefit from being larger and ranged weapons benefit from being small to a certain extent.