Sign in to follow this  
mayhem_zero

Temple of Water survival fix

I think the east core should be invulnerable when it's not at the bottom level.  Things shouldn't be targeting it anyway.

Happened to me twice on Campaign as well. Kobolds just ignite from the spawn and blast right above the crystal. Yesterday while watching a stream from Damien and Washboard(I was in their game) it happened thrice in a row on the 1st wave itself.  Always a kobold that kills the crystal.

Yeah I've lost this way a few times. I always assumed it was a gold fish that got through but it should be fixed.

@Plane quote:

I think the east core should be invulnerable when it's not at the bottom level.  Things shouldn't be targeting it anyway.

Fish wyverns go after it, which they are supposed to be able to do since it is in water. I will not change this.

However- Kobolds shouldn't hit the core through the floor but I'm not sure if/how I can prevent this. In fact in general kobolds shouldn't be able to hit things on the opposite sides of walls/floors in general. Adjusting the height at which the core "floats" may be able to address this though.

While fish wyverns go after it, they never do any damage because of how the bridge is designed. Making it invulnerable will not change how the map is built.

You might have to adjust the height of the kobold explosion for the map to fix it for ToW if you don't want to just make it invulnerable.

We may be able to address how the script picks targets to recieve the damage, so that any case of a kobold blowing up won't harm things on the other side of geometry. Otherwise, we can slightly re-position the crystal to make the probability of this happening much less likely.

We can add a line of sight check to the kobold's explosion, which will prevent any cases of them causing damage to objects on the other side of walls/floors/etc.

I think it would be a tiny, tiny edge case where having a line of sight check on the explosion had any measureable impact elsewhere in the game. Most maps don't have paths with the sort of arrangement that would

Those edge cases might include a low rock or bump in the terrain somehow shielding a defense from an explosion, but I'd estimate it to be an extraordinarily rare occurrence. Of course, we will do some testing on this, though.

An alternative solution someone suggested would be to just remove kobolds from the east spawn.

I'd like to actually see a kobold destroy the east core, though.  The videos above show the east core dying, but we can't see what did it.

The things that kill crystals in a single hit to my knowledge are Kobolds and Fish Wyvern. The fish can't even get to the crystal when the water is full, and they usually bug out with their pathing. Ogres and Orcs usually take 2 hits hits with Orcs hitting 80% of the health while Ogres do 40-60%. I believe a Sharken almost killed it once and it took 5 hits. Archers barely dent. Dark Elf Warriors might damage it about as much as Sharken with their leap attack. I can't imagine Djinn or Spiders targeting a crystal. I might be able to make a video of walking over the bridge and having a kobold detonate on me with the map open to ensure no fish are around.

Thanks, that was really helpful :)