Sign in to follow this  
Rentard

Onslaught Thread: How to Counter...

I wanted to start a thread about Onslaught, where people can ask a question about how to counter enemies/mutators they might be struggling with. 

For Chaos, we can say "this combination works great for Chaos X" or "for Chaos Y you need to do this or this." But because Onslaught has such a wide variety of enemy and mutator combinations, there's more specific challenged people might be struggling with. 

Maybe it's Cy-zerker lanes with physical resists, or Controlled Burn lanes with Geodes. Whatever combination of enemies and/or mutators that give you trouble. 

My hope is that some of the more challenging lane combinations can be captured in one thread. If the thread takes off, maybe the first post can be edited to collect them all. 

And if I'm wrong and this thread isn't needed, then oh well, it will just slip into oblivion. 

... And I guess I'll go first. 

Frost Lanes

I've prestiged once, but I still struggle with frost lanes. I've tried various combinations of defenses, but the frost lane always seems to require my full attention, meaning I have to pray I can AFK the other lanes. Does anyone have any suggestions on how they deal with frost-heavy lanes (especially with frost or orcs)?

@Rentard quote:

I've prestiged once, but I still struggle with frost lanes. I've tried various combinations of defenses, but the frost lane always seems to require my full attention, meaning I have to pray I can AFK the other lanes. Does anyone have any suggestions on how they deal with frost-heavy lanes (especially with frost or orcs). 

Wouldn´t want your thread to slip into oblivion lol

Before I went into hibernation mode, which is me only doing the occasional daily, I discovered that the sand vipers works great for me in frost lanes. 

Place 2 on the side of the lane in safe distance from the frosties and flank them. The range (with gambit) and the wide killzone (killzone?... forgot what it´s called) makes them excellent for flanking and great for picking apart frost mobs on medium to long lanes. The can just sit and melt them at a safe distance. Throw in a PDT and you got frosties for breakfast.

In sand viper I use a medallion with (gambit) Split vipers, Power transfer and Defensive critical damage.

M.

For a base frost lane I'd go 1 ramster, 1 slime, 2 bees. Usually set up the slime so it's 1/3 back on the ramster coverage. The most I've ever done on this kind of lane was Controlled burn and high volume. In that case I went 2 ram, 1pdt, 2 bees, 3 slime (lined up down the lane to get 100% coverage by slimes). 

Maybe that was overkill. I did get thorc as the boss down that lane on wave 4 or 5, map 3. Sweating bullets 

@Rentard quote:

I wanted to start a thread about Onslaught, where people can ask a question about how to counter enemies/mutators they might be struggling with. 

For Chaos, we can say "this combination works great for Chaos X" or "for Chaos Y you need to do this or this." But because Onslaught has such a wide variety of enemy and mutator combinations, there's more specific challenged people might be struggling with. 

Maybe it's Cy-zerker lanes with physical resists, or Controlled Burn lanes with Geodes. Whatever combination of enemies and/or mutators that give you trouble. 

My hope is that some of the more challenging lane combinations can be captured in one thread. If the thread takes off, maybe the first post can be edited to collect them all. 

And if I'm wrong and this thread isn't needed, then oh well, it will just slip into oblivion. 

@Rentard quote:

Frost Lanes

I've prestiged once, but I still struggle with frost lanes. I've tried various combinations of defenses, but the frost lane always seems to require my full attention, meaning I have to pray I can AFK the other lanes. Does anyone have any suggestions on how they deal with frost-heavy lanes (especially with frost or orcs)?

Here's how my duo and I handle them:

For most frost lanes (without cyborks)  A full-gambit Viscous Deadly strike DefRate Mark Ramster or two + a flame aura work really well, with a hornet nest or two if there's a zerker. 

If there is a cybork i still use the flame aura just closerto the blockade and the cybork dies from the double ramster usually.

The ramsters clear out the frost orcs so they don't stack slows on the aura, then the aura demolishes whats left of everything with the weak point damage. and the ramsters are far enough away they don't ever get slowed.  Hornets or other single target high damage for anything that survives a little too long like zerkers.

I don't upgrade my ramsters since they don't upgrade that well, but after wave 1 and a few upgrades in the flame and hornets,  i afk it.

Frosty lanes with cyborgs can be a pain. Especially with controlled burn or spell breaker. The truth is to err on the safer side and just over build. You might have to skimp on a couple other lanes but it's worth it in my opinion. Other lanes can hold out with good blockades opposed to how quickly frosty enemies can just overwhelm their lane and make blockades basically tissue paper. 

The sure way is just use 4 ramsters and a couple cannons behind them. 

If it's a controlled burn lane use two pdts. One behind the cannons. And the other behind or on the side of the enemies, far enough away from the frosty range. If that's not possible just put the second pdt with the other one behind the cannons. 

If it's spell breaker add 2 more ramsters and another cannon. Its such a large amount of DU but there's not a lot of options for this combo unless you want to use ballistas which I find less reliable. If you get frosty with spell breaker a reroll is a good option. Or use a bunch of hornets and fight in that lane. 

If theres throwers put up a reflect. 

If it turns into a boss lane put up a blockade.

This always works for me. You can add more if you really wanna feel safe but you don't need anything more than 4 Rams and 2 cannons and you can afk the lane. Rams full range Gambit, deadly strikes, power transfer and vamp empowerment. Cannons full range Gambit, defense rate, power transfer and stun or vamp empowerment.  For 260 DU it's a deal considering it's a frosty lane. Hope this helps and works for you. 

I will share my opinion also:

1. Frosty without orc - flame aura, proton beam, lightning aura

2. Frosty with frost orc - flame aura, proton beam, lightning+pdt or canon or balista

3. Hard frosty line with orcs + mutators like spellbreaker, antishell or cannot be slowed mutator - same as previous + balistas +canons

4. harder frosty version with geodet boss spawn +number 3 - replace balista with 2 ramsters

5. the most brutal version is all frosties combined in line with second line with orcs and geodets and shielders and mutators controlled burn and spellbreaker.

Here you should do like 2 ramsters and 2 balistas+flame aura to set burn with oil from balista  + pdt + stay there and fight - this will be the toughest line for sure.

I usually spend on frosty line around 250-300 DU. Or I spend below 200 and stay there to see how it works.

Good luck