Sign in to follow this  
[GB] n0ught

Community Development

Hello, I have been an active player for many many years, first on xbox and then PC. I was wondering if there's a specific reason why you don't make the game open-source kinda. Like provide the wider community with most of the files without literally giving the source files away. The reason I ask is because I plan on doing a foundation degree in computing next year and I think this would be a great way for me to test out different things. I'd also like to help out with the development of DD, that would be awesome.

You guys have done a great job so far, I'm not denying that, I just would love to help further the development of DD and I was wondering if there was a specific reason why the "community" development team is restricted.

<3

Maybe edit your post and say:

"Hey CDT, you've done an awesome job over the years with progression of DD. I am a huge fan and I am currently getting into the development side by continuing my education with a computing degree, my question is how can I  become more involved as an active member of the community development team. I am excited to learn and help continue the growth of the best game on the market"

Might get a better response with that, no need to have an open source DD and I'm pretty sure Trendy wouldn't let that happen for they still own the rights.

The Dungeon Defenders Development Kit is a robust set of tools for players to modify all aspects of the Dungeon Defenders source and create their own content and games. Packaged with the game’s complete source code and art assets, the Dungeon Defenders Development Kit is one of the definitive Unreal reference codebases for anyone looking to create their own Unreal games.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/202522/Dungeon_Defenders_Development_Kit_Free_DLC/

Whichever version of DDDK is publicly available on Steam already has the game's source code available. It was last updated in end 2012 from what I remember. So currently it's just a matter of providing the current updated DDDK. Couple of other people had previously asked for latest DDDK to be made public. Even if it can't be updated via Steam(which was the reason to not provide it), there are other means to make it available via GitHub etc. so... :D

@Kleeborp quote:

"Hey CDT, you've done an awesome job over the years with progression of DD. I am a huge fan and I am currently getting into the development side by continuing my education with a computing degree, my question is how can I  become more involved as an active member of the community development team. I am excited to learn and help continue the growth of the best game on the market"

Might get a better response with that, no need to have an open source DD and I'm pretty sure Trendy wouldn't let that happen for they still own the rights.

Yeah, I'm not great at writing stuff like that :/

@Black Mamba quote:

The Dungeon Defenders Development Kit is a robust set of tools for players to modify all aspects of the Dungeon Defenders source and create their own content and games. Packaged with the game’s complete source code and art assets, the Dungeon Defenders Development Kit is one of the definitive Unreal reference codebases for anyone looking to create their own Unreal games.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/202522/Dungeon_Defenders_Development_Kit_Free_DLC/

Whichever version of DDDK is publicly available on Steam already has the game's source code available. It was last updated in end 2012 from what I remember. So currently it's just a matter of providing the current updated DDDK. Couple of other people had previously asked for latest DDDK to be made public. Even if it can't be updated via Steam(which was the reason to not provide it), there are other means to make it available via GitHub etc. so... :D

So the DDDK is old but can be updated?

They said over Steam it can't be updated due to some technical limitations, not able to recall what in specific.
But yeah otherwise it can be updated to incorporate latest content and bug fixes in source code etc. dunno why the secrecy and opacity in not releasing it though. Keep asking, eventually it might get released!

I don't think anyone at trendy actually knows how to update it at this point. The guy who used to update it is no longer with the company.

then release a new version as a separate item :^)

@Kleeborp quote:

@Black Mamba quote:

@Black Mamba quote:

They said over Steam it can't be updated due to some technical limitations, not able to recall what in specific.
But yeah otherwise it can be updated to incorporate latest content and bug fixes in source code etc. dunno why the secrecy and opacity in not releasing it though. Keep asking, eventually it might get released!

So how is the community development team able to produce content and bug fixes without the updated DDDK? Surely they could release what they're using if the DDDK truly does include the source code already

@[GB] n0ught quote:

So how is the community development team able to produce content and bug fixes without the updated DDDK? Surely they could release what they're using if the DDDK truly does include the source code already

They have an up-to-date separate version that is not publicly available.

@[GB] n0ught quote:

@Kleeborp quote:

@Black Mamba quote:

@Black Mamba quote:

The CDT does not own the rights to distribute the information on the SVN which we use to submit updates to the game.

The public DDDK on steam is still a good option though for anyone wanting to make a map with, look at the code or just to play around with.  Several in the community have made some great maps with it in the past and posted them in the steam workshop. 

@ddace quote:

@[GB] n0ught quote:

@Kleeborp quote:

@Black Mamba quote:

@Black Mamba quote:

The CDT does not own the rights to distribute the information on the SVN which we use to submit updates to the game.

The public DDDK on steam is still a good option though for anyone wanting to make a map with, look at the code or just to play around with.  Several in the community have made some great maps with it in the past and posted them in the steam workshop. 

How might I go about joining the community development team? I promise I could be of use, I've been offered a opportunity to work for BAE systems in the UK and to do a Software Engineering Bsc Honors degree with them so I can't be that bad :D It really sounds like it could be a lot of fun to see what I can do to help out! :D <3

"Hello, I have been an active player for many many years, first on xbox and then PC. I was wondering if there's a specific reason why you don't make the game open-source kinda."

The simple answer here is Trendy still owns the game. They have just granted us permission to make changes to it. Those changes still have to be vetted by Trendy who can ultimately decide not to do it if they don't want to, since only they can upload the builds to Steam.

@[GB] n0ught quote:

How might I go about joining the community development team? I promise I could be of use, I've been offered a opportunity to work for BAE systems in the UK and to do a Software Engineering Bsc Honors degree with them so I can't be that bad :D It really sounds like it could be a lot of fun to see what I can do to help out! :D <3

Due to the constraints on what we're able to do, the most helpful thing to us would be unreal engine experience- UnrealScript scripting and general Unreal level design/editor experience.

We have the ability to add members of the community who have a skill the team needs. Get in touch with DDace who has already responded to this thread. If you have something the team can use you can be sure we'd love to have you.

[[51772,users]], for clarity, the DDDK doesn't include source code except the unrealscript for the actors/objects/etc in the game. We can't make changes to the engine itself (i.e. C++ code) nor core engine scripts which are at least partially obfuscated behind C++  code.