Sign in to follow this  
Caimen0

Accessories and You

Having been farming accessories lately, a point of much annoyance has been really getting to me, that being the power gap between different accessory sets. Accessories are supposed to be primarily an aesthetic feature, with the option to turn them off only recently added. Therefore, it makes little sense that endgame accessories that add an aesthetic presence have such wildly varying stats.

Let's start with a rundown of the variuous set-bonus gifted accessory sets and a rundown of the stats.

Crystal: Crystalline Dimension set sans shield. (I thought this guy was in the set, but it's not rewarded by CD)

• Might as well be random accessories statwise.

Annatar: Palantir set.

• Random accessories with better upgrades.

Turkey: GTH set with 2 hats, sans bracers.

• These accessories can reach stat cap for supreme... at about the same rate as quad cap diamonds.

Dress Stuff: ToL set sans shield.

• The Top Hat/Bow not capping while Masquerade can, with Ult spawning bracers is really the impetus for me starting this thread. I N J U S T I C E

Santa: Winter Wonderland set sans shield.

• Both hat and mask can easily reach Supreme cap with bracers capable of reaching Ult.

Ember: Embermount set sans shield.

• Both hat and mask can easily reach Supreme cap with bracers capable of reaching Ult.

As you can see, we have run the full gamut from downright awful to rather nice stats in a single item type that is supposed to offer primarily aesthetic choice rather than stats.

I see no reason that endgame set bonus accessories shouldn't be brought to Embermount equivalent stats and spawns.

• Crystalline Dimension continues to have its DPS weapons outclassed more and more with every patch while rewarding one item per run.
  • Palantir gives nothing else and nobody runs it, even after the buff to "lab assault" levels. (Which is still trash 70% of the time)
  • Ditto for Greater Turkey Hunt.
  • Top Hat and Bow are left out in the set and should have been elevated anyway.

For context, I actually forced myself to learn how to run ToL so I could farm Masquerades to get rid of the beards on some characters. I can also guarantee that I will wind up learning GTH if it receives similar buffs. This is how you get people to voluntarily farm more than 3 maps.

On the topic of accessories...

• Initiate's armguards clip through her arm when moving. Picture.
  • Jester's Fool costrume has the beard placement a bit wrong. Picture.
  • Monk's Ninja costume also has incorrect beard placement. Picture.
  • You only need hat + bracers to activate ToL set bonus. Proof.

One last consideration:

Last patch cycle I made the suggestion to replace the Palantir set bonus and/or the brooch. (I can't find the post so I cant link it) Obviously this wans't paid attention to, as it was a a poorly thought out suggestion. But I really hate the brooch, so I come with another suggestion. Would it be possible to add another accessory, say, the Crown of Annatar like I previously suggested, that has a separate set bonus? (See: Top Hat vs Bow set bonus)

I think buffing top hat, bow, and pirate patch are on the roadmap for Update 4 already, because those were requested previously.

See, this is what happens when you're gone for 8 months. Half my suggestions are already being worked on.

Legit question: How would you feel about replacing the santa beard model with santa spectacles? It would make them look quite a bit more attractive on both male and female characters, while keeping everything game-impacting about them the same (stats, set bonus, etc). 

Santa beards have been one of the most common high-stat accessories in the game, and their unattractiveness (especially on the girl characters) has always bugged me. Replacing the beard with glasses would be fairly low overhead.

@gigazelle quote:

Legit question: How would you feel about replacing the santa beard model with santa spectacles? It would make them look quite a bit more attractive on both male and female characters, while keeping everything game-impacting about them the same (stats, set bonus, etc). 

Santa beards have been one of the most common high-stat accessories in the game, and their unattractiveness (especially on the girl characters) has always bugged me. Replacing the beard with glasses would be fairly low overhead.

Oh yeah, that would be cool :D

@Plane quote:

I think buffing top hat, bow, and pirate patch are on the roadmap for Update 4 already, because those were requested previously.

Yep I definitely suggested those need a level buff to roll ultimate some time back.

And please don't make the accessories with set bonus and low stats have ember spawns.. ember accesories spawn worse than ToL, WW/ GTH2 on average due to lower loot quality than the one's listed. But the level's and stat's otherwise would be nice but at the same spawn quality as the other accessories. Done enough run's to know ember accessories roll worse on average.

What do you guys feel should be the accessory hierarchy? Because I honestly have no idea why items found from defeating the lore wise "final boss" in the game are weaker than what goblin cupids/turkey gives you.

Tier 1: Embermount Accessories

Tier 2: Santa Accessories

Tier 3: Temple O Love / CD Accessories

Tier 4: Annatar / Turkey / Lab Accessories

I know that because certain content was released earlier, accessories were made to balance around what was in the game at the time, but I don't see a reason not to buff it now to make progression more visually pleasing and have people's builders have varying different outfits rather than just 8 ember sets for all their characters once they can farm phoenix.

Made a suggestion in the Update 4 thread that most accessories which were removed from Lab should have been brought up to WW levels in stats and ups.
So removing them from Lab but not making then worthwhile to farm didn't make much sense becasue for most people running WW and getting top of the line accs just does the job. And for the rest who prefer properly customizing characters to make them look good while having good stats -- there are very few options to run maps, because the upgrades and roll quality of accessories just sucks.
Therefore I can understand your frustration with ToL becasue I've farmed this map like crazy in the past to get some good bows and hats, but they roll so horribly it just is very demoralizing to run it.

Either way, at least a few accs, as per the above post, seem to be getting buffed for the next update. Which again brings me to the main question -- why not buff almost all of those which were removed from lab to the same levels?
These accessories IMO need to roll at the same level as WW, without any stat or upgrade biases etc. --
-> Top Hat, Bow, CD Accs, Pirate Eye Patch.
-> Palantir can be argued given the map itself is fairly easy, but I mean they can be buffed to the same levels as WW, I wouldn't mind.
-> CD accs in particular are just very very annoying to get becasue it just drops 1 per account. So farming a full set takes quite a while and half the time they just roll garbage cursed or godly. Pretty much the reason why I got frustrated and ended up buying a bunch of Lab Runs so I can get a few sets completed. And their stats are pretty low as well.

As a side note -- I agree that CD weps are no longer top of the line to be justified that they drop only 1 per account. Back when they released it made sense, but now its just pointless to run CD for anything other than the E-Spear. Which is also like you could easily do away with a half decent Quietus.

[[60278,users]] Farseer -- There should be no such hierarchy. Some people like me find Temple O Love far easier than WW and GTH2, while some have differing opinions. Current way works just fine if only some accessory stat rolling on some maps is fixed and brought to WW/Embermount accessory levels.
If Embermount and WW accs roll better than ToL and other maps, then there's no point in farming those other low level accs. i.e. back to square one -- no variety, and no option for people who do not like how certain accessories look.

[[31834,users]] -- As much as I dislike Santa Beards, I'm sure there are a few people who like them a lot, I'd instead propose adding a gender neutral Santa accessory instead of outright replacing the beard.
Also consider adding the Pirate Hat to Buc Bay and/or Pirate Invasion as a reward along with a bracer accessory which probably resembles like a hook, or something to give a full Pirate Set with some appropriate cosmetic effect to go by. :D

@gigazelle quote:

I think this is a really cool idea BUT I'd like to point out that we're getting more variety in masks with updates.  We just got the ToL masks and update 4 will have more.  Maybe we can leave the santa beards for people to put on their manly monks and squires and focus on new accs to give people some variety :)

Here's a beginning sketch for my crown ideas since my mspaint skills are nonexistent. if I knew anything at all about 3d modeling I'd work on that. Unfortunately... I only know how to use Blender's video editor at this point. Guess I'll start working on that tomorrow.

Obviously this variation isn't pointy enough yet, but it's a start I guess.

UHVJk9u.jpg

New iteration, more pointy this time. Also in 3D!!!!1!!

God help me I have no idea what i'm doing. Also I have no idea how to do 3d texturing so that's not going to happen any time soon.

zdKxGSK.png

@Caimen0 quote:

New iteration, more pointy this time. Also in 3D!!!!1!!

God help me I have no idea what i'm doing. Also I have no idea how to do 3d texturing so that's not going to happen any time soon.

zdKxGSK.png

Looks fantastic so far. Once you're satisfied with it, send it to me and I'll make it game-ready.

On the topic of accessory sets, I ran into this a while ago and found it in my item box today:

HyPhkUo.jpg

I don't remember where I got it, but I don't recall this being a part of the Crystalline set or getting it from CD. Can it be put into the set/drop from CD?

There were a few "semi-crystalline" accs though which are basically generic accs. The one shield you listed is a generic one which I'm 90% positive is/was a part of the old semi-crystalline accs:
http://dungeondefenders.wikia.com/wiki/Chained_Bracers
http://dungeondefenders.wikia.com/wiki/Vine-Wrapped_Bauble
http://dungeondefenders.wikia.com/wiki/Crystalline_Defender
http://dungeondefenders.wikia.com/wiki/Rockface_Guise
These drop on Akatiti and Lab Assault. And possibly on some maps as core acc drops.

I personally wouldn't mind if there's another CD set. The problem with CD is that it only gives 1 acc per account and it just rolls like pure garbage. So the removal of CD accs from Lab, in the hindsight seems counterproductive, becasue now there's an absolute lack of good CD accs.

Interesting that there wasn't a shield added to CD then.

I was lucky with my apprentice because I had some in my folders since before the lab nerf. It's a real shame you can't get good ones anymore. Which is why we should buff the stats on all acc drops :^)

Also, Crown project update

dp4aizT.png

Oh, there is a CD exclusive shield which drops on CD -- http://dungeondefenders.wikia.com/wiki/Crystalforged_Heater
It's the base model for the Plutonion Event Shield.

The ones I listed(and the shield you listed before) were/are also "kind of" Crystalline accs, just not available from CD exclusively. They do drop on Lab though, but don't have any effect attached to them since they aren't fully "Crystalline".

Plane brought up adding a second accessory spawn to Greater Turkey Hunt in chat so I'll mention it here just to have it on record.

For a more clear recap of what changes the OP is talking about:

• Bring all set bonus accessories stat caps (raw stats and upgrades) up to par with Embermount accessories

- Crystalline set, Annatar set, Turkey set, Top Hat and Bow

• Add a second reward trigger for Greater Turkey Hunt accessories (Maybe Crystalline and Annatar as well?)
  • Fix Initiate Armguard Placement
  • Fix Jester Beard Placement
  • Fix Monk Beard Placement
  • Fix Valentine's Set Bonus activation
  • Potentially add Crown of Annatar (see screens I've posted in the thread) to Palantir as alternate set bonus along with Brooch - Valentines Set style

I agree with the above proposition, and in addition to that I'd like to suggest:

• Increase count of CD accs rewarded by +1 (so total 2) per character, so that even if the weps are limited to 1 per account, at least it gives more incentives to people who would like to do the Old One solo with more HP. Or if this is not possible, then make it +3 (so total 4) per account.
  • Increase GTH2 accs rewarded by +1 (so total 2) per character. So in theory you could get 8 each run, Solo +3 AFKs. I think this would suit better than adding accs from other maps as a secondary, IMO.
  • Also maybe look at adding a suitable Bracer accessory to GTH2. And exploring possible set options as well.
  • Add Pirate Hat(buffed to Embermount Levels) to Pirate Invasion as a separate drop, i.e. alongside Pirate Patch(also Buffed to Embermount levels). So beating wave 7 you get 1 Hat + 1 Patch, and the count increases as it does currently for every other wave you beat.
  • In addition to the above, maybe add the "Leather Armguards" accessory to Buccaneer Bay so as to make a full Pirate Set with an effect. Or maybe a new "Pirate Hook" like accessory for the left hand(since right hand on chars uses weapons and EV has no traditional "right arm"  as such).
  • Also buff Pirate Patch to Embermount levels(currently it drops like Top Hats/Bows).
  • Random suggestion for alternate Annatar accessory set effect: https://dungeondefenders.com/1/topic/144839/?scrollTo=1288113&page=6
  • Random suggestion for Pirate effect: One, Two, Three(Generic skull replaced by Jolly Roger's Skull), Or a bunch of Jolly Roger's Flags falling down like the current snowfall effect.

Yes accs, thing I hate and love. I have personally been wanting a new mask for ages, thank god we got that last time. Speaking of which, I hope that buff for top hats and bows is happening.

More accs is always nice, so totally into that, dont need even cosmetic set bonus or anything, just more to choose from. Of course buffing some accs would also help. CD accs are one thing, they should totally buff those. Doesn't make sense it only gives one and it's crappy in most cases, I would like how those look mostly, but can't use them since they always spawn so bad. Not against giving two accs for one player either, since the map is kinda longish and needs some work.

Palantir... well.. the map is kinda easy, so don't think we need a buff for that. At least not to ww or other end game map level really. Reminder that there are new accs added every update it seems, so no need to buff all the old ones from easier maps.

Ww, yes. New mask please, no need to replace the beard, personally started hating it once every one of my heroes had that on. But something that spawns with same stats but is more suitable for female heroes or just anyone you don't want to use beard on. (Also more nice accs like the new one, which don't cover up the whole face ty.)

The greater turkey hunt... haven't played that map that much. I think giving 2accs for one hero would increase the amount of players actually playing that map since almost no one touches that map unless it's for achievement. Since I have no idea how these roll, can't say much when it comes to buffing these.

And buccaneer... yes great idea to add acc to match up with rest of the pirate stuff (which could spawn little higher...) but if bracers are added to this. I see no point on them being near the quality of like.. ember bracers. The map is too easy to be rewarding those kind of accs. If they were added into pi tho... Wouldn't mind. We need something else from pi too (other than mana).

(Wrote this at 6am with fever so don't judge, but I think I made my point clear there. More accs = yay. Some of the buffs = yay.)

Yeah I wouldn't mind if PI drops Hat + Mask + Bracer on wave 7 and the count increase like it does right now. Seems fair enough to me. Or any 2 out of the 3 Accs at random for each wave reached seems much more balanced.

I would very much like to see a buff to the cd accs, Since they only drop 1 per run you wont be able to farm them efficiently. It would also be very intresting to get more endgame choices. I do happen to like the cd accs because of the set bonus and that they can spawn in pink. Would be really fun to be able to use them without sacificing major amounts of my stats.

I strongly agree with both mambo and caimen on this. 

The accs need to be buffed to the same tier, and you should get more accs in cd, greater turkey hunt and palantir

I am in favor of buffing accessories to make the various options more consistent. Being forced to farm and use very specific cosmetics just to have decent stats on them is a lot less fun.

Is it possible to add sounds instead of/in addition to particles as a set effect? Because I would adore a pirate set where there are random pirate sounds every few seconds around anyone who equips it (preferably with the option to toggle it off with the "hide accessories" option so people can stop it if it gets ridiculous). AHOY! YARR! AVAST, YE LANDLUBBERS! YO-HO!

As for CD, I assume it is not possible to keep the weapons as one-per-account and make the accessories one-per-hero. If we're buffing things on CD, the staff could desperately use some attention.

A sufficently dorky argument could be made in favor of angel wings for the Annatar set (what with Sauron being the Middle-Earth equivalent of a fallen angel), but it still feels strange and out-of-place for the aesthetic.

+1 on more acc rewards for GTH2. It's a pretty scary map, deserves rewards on-par with ToL