Sign in to follow this  
mayhem_zero

Lightning tower balance discussion

Haven't seen too much discussion on how Lightning towers should be re-balanced, would like to present an idea and see what people think.

How would people feel about them doing less damage if they're too close to each other?

They can still be stacked and used with good gear to clear maps.
It promotes tower diversity, one or two per buff beam being optimal if you choose to use them.
They still function as aggro machines, which personally I enjoy.

30-40% damage reduction I feel is about the right area where it should be. If you decide to only build 2 next to each other, you still gain damage but it's not optimal. They can still kill bosses just not as fast as before, I think players should either (A) bring in dps, or (B) take longer to afk.

Thoughts?

sy3Kfij.jpg

@Ser Offline-alot quote:

@Plane quote:

I'm hoping we can improve TL, ToW, and the tavern performance.

I didn't realise ToW had a performance issue. I've played a bit of the survival, only up to wave 23 though, and wasn't getting any lag, just the usual 25-45FPS. 

Is it really bad past that?

edit: Lag as in, so little FPS you can't roll properlly, like on PI, TL and MB.

The performance tanks most on ToW when looking down the hallway between the north and south crystals- it's the most open part of the map with the most stuff visible, including multiple water planes.

The water actors themselves can't be tweaked much more without ruining their apeparance, however, we could  disable the effects entirely on low detail settings.

As Mambo mentioned a bit earlier, I think it would be better if you would make the other towers more attractive, to allow players to make more diverse builds and variate between different builds. Right now i think it is really fun to make some random tower build for maps, but it would be more fun if you could acctually play it that way in a serious way, instead of semitrolling through the map with offmeta towers

My idea was increasing their damage and uncap the tick rate so tower rate has it's own effect.

Reducing the chain jump lenght and drastically reduce the number of targets to chain (like 5 the most).

Basically putting the LT on pair with fireball towers and harpoon towers where harpoons are piercing (good for larger areas), fireballs splash (good for thin passages) LTs 360° (good for 1 stack for multiple paths).

Edit: Woops i just realized i necroed this 3month old thread, sorry.
Personally i really like the LT's 360 degrees attack radius and its crazy lighting bouncing.

It is a pricy tower in terms of DU but it definitely is the most mass-killing tower in the game.

It is my most common choice for survival since they just so reliably murder everything across the map.

I dont know how would you balance it without making it not worth its DU or ruining its crazy lightning charm.

Even when they weren't as good, I did like using them just because they were fun to use, crazy spammy action is entertaining. :D