Sign in to follow this  
Black Mamba

Dread Dungeon Survival Wave 8 starting mana needs to be increased a little bit.

Currently it is 200. I remember reporting this in beta as well that it's just a bit low for Survival Wave 8 Start.
This isn't even enough to build 1 EES Aura Stack + 1 Buff as you are still 10 mana short.

And before you pitch-fork me with your "well I can do just fine, git gud" -- please remember this is a LOW END MAP. Supposed to be done with LOW STATS, by LOW SKILLED new players, who in all likelihood have mis-matching gear.

I can do it just fine as well, but from a perspective of a new player and for comparison's sake and to give you an idea how low it is for a map that's supposed to be around Glitterhelm levels in difficulty for Mobs(Or so I've heard? Feel free to correct.)

Here are the Wave 8 mana count for other maps:

• Alchemical Lab Wave 8 Start = 280 Total Mana.
  • Throne Room Wave 8 Start = 490 Total Mana.
  • Ramparts Wave 8 Start = 500 Total Mana.
  • Summit Wave 8 Start = 700 Total Mana.
  • Glitterhelm Wave 8 Start = 1000 Total Mana.

Granted, comparing starting mana of this map to maps like Glitterhelm, Summit and Ramparts isn't correct since these are fairly large maps. So I suggest increasing the Wave 8 starting mana to something like 300, which is only 20 more than Alchemical Lab, a map of comparable in size to this and which has 80 more mana on Wave 8 start to begin with.

Sure, you could just build one Aura Stack put a gas on each side and DPS the 8th wave out, but again... we are talking about inexperienced players here -- with mismatched gear and their DPS toons using Fishbowls and/or Giraffes. squire_small.pngkobold.png

All maps get the same starting mana on wave 8 as lower waves, you only get increased mana starting on 9 or higher. Everyone knows you don't start on wave 8. :)

Everyone knows you don't start on wave 8. :)

Of course you and me don't, because we have stats and thousands of hours clocked in. :D But for a map that is designed for inexperienced low level players who probably won't be able to handle high wave starts, a wave 8 start seems reasonable enough.

@Black Mamba quote:

Everyone knows you don't start on wave 8. :)

Of course you and me don't, because we have stats and thousands of hours clocked in. :D But for a map that is designed for inexperienced low level players who probably won't be able to handle high wave starts, a wave 8 start seems reasonable enough.

It certainly didn't take me many hours to realize wave 8 was a bad idea, I'm pretty sure anyone will have figured this out before they are doing Dread Dungeons survival.

I agree with the starting mana bump. I mean why not. It isn't like dread dungeon farming is going to start being the meta and the bonus starting mana would make it too op. The extra 100 starting mana is just a nice little bonus to new players. I don't see a real argument against it.

Or even 80 more mana to make it around Alchemical Lab's 280 starting mana. AL is somewhat smaller in map size and easier is difficulty scaling, yet has 15 more DU and 80 more mana. Also there are no Wyverns in AL. So having that extra 80 or 100 mana helps out in this map without making it too easy.

What's so special about wave 8 of Dread Dungeon? It's not like anyone is forced to start on that wave. Maybe we should also double the DU and make it so that any defenses built are automatically 3 stars so that there is no struggle to complete it.

I agree, mana should be increased. This was one of the first comments i had about the map way back when i first played it as well. I am all for adding a non re-spawning chest to help with the first wave. 

So it turns out, Wave 1 Start on Survival for Dread Dungeon, which defaults to Wave 5(as this is a game mechanic). Has 2 Ogres on non-mix Mode itself. That coupled with just 200 mana for a map this size is a clear issue for low level players. https://imgur.com/a/lcEZF :D

@Black Mamba quote:

Ummm... ok. Not sure if I wanna take you seriously with a response like that.

Well obviously it wasn't a completely serious response, but no map needs to have more mana on wave 8. I can certainly agree that Dread Dungeon could use more mana on the first wave though.