Sign in to follow this  
Kronin

Some Feedback from a Dad

My wife and I were avid fans of DD1, and both picked up DD2 during the early access period a while back.  We didn't play much, just occasionally checking it out to see how it was progressing. In the meantime, both of our young children (8, and 5) have become avid gamers and we installed DD2 free version for both of them to see if they liked it. 

Turns out they really did, and we have been having a very good time working through the campaign as a family and now into Chaos 1 and 2 and onslaught. We ended up picking up the standard edition on steam for each of the kids to improve their bag space. Both kids have really picked up on the nuances of reading the map, and getting new characters, and getting outfits out of defender boxes. They have figured out the quest system and try to get their daily done every day regardless of whether my wife and I play with them or not (hook em early amIrite?)

My conversations with a coworker have also had him pick up the game for his children and they are playing as a family as well and really enjoying it. 

I have a few pieces of feedback that I have seen elsewhere on these forums, but throught I'd provide them again through the lens of a father enjoying a game with his wife and kids.

1) Playing with others in Onslaught

My wife and I like to continue to challenge ourselves after the kids go to sleep, so we have reached a point where we are deeper into the game than the kids are playing with us. We're on Chaos 4, and just beat onslaught floor 15. Meanwhile, the kids are on Onslaught floor 7, and chaos II. This means that each time we play with the kids, we end up having to play on a floor they can do, which is fun family time, but essentially meaningless from any type of progress for my wife and I. It would be so much more fun if we could carry the kids along with us to the floor we're on and have them still progress in their own journey. 

2) No saving between maps in Onslaught

This is murder when you have a 5 year old who accidentally hits "return to tavern" after map 1 or 2 and can't rejoin us. We have to start the entire floor over when this happens. Again, still fun family time, but could be so much better with a small quality of life improvement to allow him to rejoin us, or let us save progress between maps. 

3) Quests and Map choice

Even my 5 year old gets frustrated doing the campaign maps over and over for the quests when he'd much rather pick a map and pick Chaos 1 to present himself with a bit more of a challenge while questing. The campaign maps are too easy for him with his chaos 2 gear. As working adults, my wife and I have the same complaint. We want to make sure we complete the quests to progress towards unlocking more heroes, but would much rather have that progress be during a meaningful challenge. We've hit the piont where we just log in, pick my lava mancer, put down 2 Fissures of embermount on each lane, then go make dinner while the kids press "g" for next map between rounds. That isn't exactly what I'd envision as a fun way to collect medals.

4) Parental Controls

While I am happy my kids are taking a liking to our favorite hobby, I have a parental responsibility to protect my kids when playing online games. We have implemented a rule where they are not allowed to go into the public hub, only private tavern. Additionally, they can only make private games. Unfortunately, this rule is very hard to enforce when one of them can't read the buttons yet. Inevitably, my daughter (who can read) will go to help my son get back to the private tavern, and she'll end up reading and then participating in the chat in town (or in a map) until I catch her and take the game away for a few days. This would be a much easier thing to police if I had some form of parental control to lock my children out of the public hub entirely and only allow them to make private games. Sometimes we like to let them play right after school when it's cold outside while my wife and I are still working. (we both work from home most days). 

This game provides a nice experience for a cooperative family game, and I think a few quality of life improvements mentioned above would make it our go to game for a long time. 

Thank you

Nice, I hadn't thought about introducing this to my kids. Might do the same.

Many of your points strike a chord with most casual players, not just those of us with kids!

You can sometimes do Incursions for a Daily depending which one you have, will give more medals and XP (and as a bonus Incursions have a replay map option).

I would totally introduce this to my kids, but we play couch co-op via Steam link. So, unfortunately that's not an option.

However, we've been playing DD1 together and that has been an absolute hoot.

1.) Playing with others in Onslaught

This is a great idea for making the game more co-op friendly. Since exp is nerfed until a certain point and leveling up gear is a slow process, it would make sense to let players on lower floors play with those on upper floors whilst keeping their progress independent of one another.

They could even gain x floors worth of progress from x floors equal to or higher than theirs completed. For example, someone on floor 20 completes floors 41 - 45 with someone else and in turn, moves up to floor 25. This would remove the need to play a lower Onslaught floor to progress a friend.

2.) No saving between maps in Onslaught

Fortunately, Lawlta already announced a 'replay system' in the works. Whether that includes disconnects (whatever the reason may be) is yet to be seen. Though, I really hope it does.

3.) Quests and Map Choice

The dailies are definitely stale and need revamped. Being given 'complete 2/3 maps' of specific maps when the mode you're on doesn't even have those maps is asinine. The 'complete 2/3' maps of any maps is the better choice but rewards less medals for whatever reason.

I feel we should have dailies like our weeklies and weeklies like scaled down monthlies that reward more than 600 medals (seeing as we already get 225 - 450 medals a day from dailies). This could also be a good way to reward pet supplies like in the past. On that note, maybe it's time to reintroduce Monthlies.

4.) Parental Controls

My guess is you don't want your children participating in public chat. A good solution for this would entail having an option in the settings or configs that can be toggled to True to completely disable chat and invites in public sessions. It would have no effect on private tavern or private games, just the town and public games.

Like clicking on your own name in the menu, all options to party/friend the player would be grayed out. Chat would be disabled like console, so not only would players be unable to see anything come in but they'd also be unable to access the chat themselves. Because there'd be no possible way to communicate with other players online, there'd be no need to worry about where your kids go. Though, if you also don't want them getting entranced by skins/flair, then your original idea would be best.

@Sn/+/per quote:

Like clicking on your own name in the menu, all options to party/friend the player would be grayed out. Chat would be disabled like console, so not only would players be unable to see anything come in but they'd also be unable to access the chat themselves. Because there'd be no possible way to communicate with other players online, there'd be no need to worry about where your kids go. Though, if you also don't want them getting entranced by skins/flair, then your original idea would be best.

Just wondering here, what happens if they are at the cosmetics section? It's kinda the same as seeing skins/flairs?

@Paloverde zfogshooterz quote:

Just wondering here, what happens if they are at the cosmetics section? It's kinda the same as seeing skins/flairs?

The solution to that could be disabling the Seamstress' shop, disabling the Emporium and either hiding purchasable content in Cosmetics or graying out the Cosmetics button altogether. The former would be a better choice since it'd allow the user to change their skins and flair to what they have unlocked.

There could be a 'Parental Controls' tab in Options with the following toggleable settings:

• Hide purchasable Cosmetics (includes hiding Seamstress' shop, hiding the shop button in the menu and disabling the 'Get Packs' button).
  • Hide player names.
  • Disable public chat.
  • Disable Party/Invite buttons.

I can't imagine Trendy setting aside time (nor wanting) to create an option to hide purchasable cosmetics as mentioned above but all the others should be simple enough.

Great feedback. Interesting to see how OP's point of view as parents match with what the Community have been saying since POTA was introduced.

Very good feedback! Love it!!!

Like what someone else said, I do most of my dailies through incursions (Except ch5-7 as I am not sufficiently geared for those yet). Other than ch5-7 incs, the only daily I do in campaign is Sewers since sewers does not have any incursions tied to them. Maybe Sewers can get an incursion this year Trendy?

Anyway, Parental control options sounds intersting. I know that even when I choose to play private games, if I ever select "leave game" it automatically takes me back to the public town. Similarly, if I go downstairs to the onslaught cave in town, there is no way to choose "private" Onslaught down there. Onslaught Cave = Public Onslaught. I can only do private onslaught through the War table.

I can imagine it would be fun for "the whole family" to go downstairs to the Onslaught cave together & choose a private session. It would be like exploring it together! 
"but you already have 4 players" I hear someone saying.

Consider this: It happens all too often where the game crashes randomly & without notice. This is on all platforms. If this happens for 1-2 members of the family on map 1/3, then anyone else could join while in a public session. Sure sure, players can always just go up to the war table & choose private. But...I am just thinking of fun factor of a "private family exploration" down into the onslaught cave in town.

Food for thought. Again, great feedback!!

HI Kronin,

Really good feedback. I can comment and say that your concerns with onslaught have been heard and some changes are in the works. I can't comment on them atm as we haven't annnounced it and actively still working on it but the onslaught feedback has been heard.

As for some of the other feedback, the quest and map selection comment, we are also looking into implementing a smarter Quest system to make it easier/more interesting I just don't have a time table for that yet. We know we have some quest that some people can't do because they're not high enough so all of that is being taken into account.

Wish I could comment more but I won't =P .

P.S.

What system do you play on? I know PS4 has some built in parental controls that may help with a few of your concerns that may be worth checkingout. If you're steam, yeah there isn't a lot of filtering there. You should see some of the account names people create. /vomit.

Thank you for all the replies and additional commentary.  Glad to see the community here is actively pushing to make the game better. 

@LikeThatWhenIGotHere quote:

P.S.

What system do you play on? I know PS4 has some built in parental controls that may help with a few of your concerns that may be worth checkingout. If you're steam, yeah there isn't a lot of filtering there. You should see some of the account names people create. /vomit.

Also glad to see the devs watching the forums. We are PC gamers in our house, so stuck with the limited steam options. Even something as simple as a toggle in the options that hides / disables the chat window would be enough to set my mind at ease. Just tossing it out there for consideration. Thank you for the reply, and looking forward to see what's coming down the pipeline.