Sign in to follow this  
The Jason Order

Onslaught Floor 120 Quick Build Analysis

It's pretty difficult to give advice on how to build in Onslaught, since there are so many different mutator, schedule and lane combinations. So I thought I'd just play through a floor, and take a quick look at what I built, why I built it, and how it worked.

My goal in playing floors is probably very different than most players. I try to build as fast as possible, to minimize my time spent climbing. Building slowly and careful takes far too long, and even if it increases the chance of failing by a little bit, I'm saving more time in the long run. I'm also very comfortable picking up the slack with hero DPS. So the builds here aren't exactly the most optimized at all. They are just what I thought I could get away with. If I see a difficult lane, I usually just overbuild it by a huge margin. So if some of these lanes look like overkill, they probably are.

So here's Map 3 Floor 120 of Onslaught. For reference, the enemies are roughly twice as hard to kill as Floor 65, so if you can do Floor 65 with half DU you can probably make it here.

Lane 1: Hex Throwers with Proximity and Toxi-Kazi  - 130 DU. (80 DU possible)

The core is very close and in clear line of sight, so I need to build a wall further up than I would normally like. I place it far enough that Hex Throwers can't hit it from spawn. I'm using Training Dummy because it has a very narrow hit box, which makes it easier to hide behind Reflect Beams, but this usually doesn't matter. I go with 1 Flame Aura and 2 Lightning Strikes, 1 Reflect and a Wall. 130 DU. I could probably get away with just 1 LSA if I really needed to be greedy, since all the enemies are ranged and would simply sit there hitting the reflect, and the Kobolds would damage the wall but otherwise do nothing. But since the lane has Mages, and I'm already way under budget, I overbuild this otherwise very easy lane.

This lane ended up being a boss lane, but I didn't get any Cyborks bosses out of it, so it was a non issue. Funny enough, I almost lost from this lane, as a Kobold decided to path around to the core, and I managed to stop it in time from across the map with Gunwitch. I'm actually not sure if the Kobold would have one shot the core, and this pathing issue rarely happens with non Zerkers. If there were Zerkers in this lane I would have built a wall on the other path.

0g2gDFB.png

Lane 2: EMP Dragons with Armored - 90 DU. (30 DU possible)

I build an Obelisk in every EMP lane, as Skyguards will rarely kill an EMP in time, since at this floor they have far too much HP. Since this lane was Armored, I could have actually got away without an Obelisk, which was only hit once. I also could have saved more DU by just using Skyguard or even using Sand Viper.

ACCPbkb.png

Lane 3: Cy Zerker Whompers with Enraged and Pile it On - 170 DU. (70 DU possible)

A very easy lane that I overspent. While there are Cyborks in this lane, the layout makes it very easy to use Auras. I could have got away with just 1 wall and 2 LSAs, with the second by the wall but on the ledge. You might even be able to get away with 1 Cannon here, especially if you upgrade it to 2 or 3. When I checked the damage at the end of the game, the Cannon had almost 0 damage and the Ballista had 1/3rd of the Flame and 1/2 of the LSA.

0zGD5TQ.png

Lane 4: Cy Frost Whompers with Proximity and Pain Aura.

The first lane I don't like the look of. This spot is actually really good for PDTs and Flame Aura, since theres a ledge right by spawn thats safe for Flames and you can place PDTs facing backwards down the lane on the other side, but since it's Frost I can't do either. I place 2 Ballistas and a Ramster, but I came back later and add 3 Cannons. I also ended up upgrading quite a bit here, since the lane ended up as a boss lane

TTkghLT.png

Lane 5: Geo-Whomp Zerkers with Vampiric and Yeti - 160 DU

Lane 6: EMP Kamikazi - 90 DU.

I intentionally overbuilt these lanes, because they are on a side of the map on their own, so I want to make sure I never have to come here again. The air lane gets an Obelisk and a Skyguard, because sometimes Kamikazis will misbehave.

The ground lane gets 1 Flame, 2 LSA and an Earthshatter. Normally I wouldn't need the Earthshatter here, but since the lane has Vampiric, and I never want to come here, I place one down as insurance to kill all the Zerkers. No idea what I could have dropped here, the wall never got hit but I never came here once to check on it. The second LSA had okay damage too, so things were getting close.

BnWHsvd.png

Lane 7: Cy-Guard Whompers with Spellbreaker and Unstoppable - 150 DU (90 DU possible)

Cyborks and Spellbreaker, and yet, the best option here is still Flame Aura! Unfortunately, there are no good AoE options for physical damage because of Cyborks + Vanguards, so even though this lane has Spellbreaker, I just put down 2 Flame Auras. The lane setup makes it easy to put Flames close to the lane but out of reach of Cyborks. I do end up placing a Ballista behind the lane and facing towards my wall, but this lane is a bit wonky for projectiles, so while it had more damage than both Flames if I needed DU I could have upgraded the Flame Auras and ditched the Ballista.  The wall actually got knocked down to half HP on the first wave, so I upped both Flames to level 2 and then it held for the rest of the game.

33fwj1t.jpg

Lane 8: Stabby Kamikazi - 50 DU. (30 DU possible)

Just a simple air lane, one Skyguard. I could have used a Cannon or Sand Viper.

th9tcCj.png

Lane 9: Air Raid with Long Shot - 90 DU

EMP = Obeslisk. Simple and straight forward. I like to place my anti-air up on this ring.

The Skyguard actually died wave 5, but nothing interesting happened here.

vz5iMFs.png

Lane 10: Hex-Frost Throwers - 220 DU

The last lane for wave 1, so I overspend here. It's also pretty far from where I want to stand, so I don't mind overspending. Note that I still put Auras in this lane despite being Frost since this schedule doesn't have any minions thats freeze towers in 3/5 waves and only a few in the other 2.

oAb6jzw.png

So now I'm sitting at 1470 / 1600 DU and I start wave 1. Lane 7's wall got hurt so I added upgrades here, but everything else did fine.

Wave 2, Lane 11 - Zerker Fodder with Maximum Effort and Cursi-Kazi

Cursi-Kazi = Proton until they fix it, but I had a ton of DU so I threw random stuff in here.

Fkozk2I.png

Wave 3, Lane 12 - Game Ogre with Power Block and Controlled Burn

Wave 4, Lane 13 - Zerker Wompers with Vampiric and Headstrong

2tWbgB5.jpg

Wave 5: Frost something with something. I just threw like 6 rams here and hit G.

I literally just throw DU at these lanes, since I had a ton and nothing is happening in any lane.

nvkr4B0.png

Victory!

If this was at all interesting or helpful, I'll do it again for other floors.

Nope it's about right. They give you 200 DU per Lane  only one lane opens with each wave. I'm only on floor 73 but every time I've started wil 8 and ended with 13

It looks like you got some decent affix/monster combo luck. The worst is when you get affixes that can be sucky in tandem with enemies. I once failed because it was Cy-Frost Whompers and you had to use Crowd Control before you can damage enemies. They managed to freeze up my wall incredibly fast even though there was a Water Elemental Ramster and a PDT spreading ailments. 

I find that map you need to figure out priorities and try to make as many lanes as self sufficient as possible. 

what shards are in your fire aura and have you also maxed its assention range bonus 50/50?

forgot_my_acct_name It's random, you can get up to 1800 DU wave 1, and you get 1 additional wave per wave. The mechanics never change after floor 55ish, it's just higher HP, damage and resist. The scaling on floor 120 seems to be intended for having some Ancient Power and cap raises, but you can just play more efficiently or rely more on hero crowd control. A Mystic with 0 gear could realistically hold Floor 1000 solo.

ChrisH36 The Cybork variant of Frost + Control Burn is the easiest, since Frost and Cyborks are functionally the same, limiting ground defenses. Frost + Geode is much harder, since you can't easily use ground defenses or PDTs.  Whompers is also the easiest Frost schedule, since it's just slow regular minions like Orcs and Warboars. For a lane like that, I'd use 1 PDT at the start of the lane and another at my wall with a Ballista and a Cannon. If it was a really long lane, a PDT would actually kill everything solo, with maybe 1 Cannon at your wall to catch leaks. Fairly easy. Basically, for controlled Burn, always use PDT, even in Geode lanes, then add something to kill the Geode like Oil Heyzer / Protons.

Water Elemental seems to not work reliably on Controlled Burn.

I find the hardest mutator combo is usually just a ton of Assassins immune to stun. You can't reliably solo hold a lane anymore since you'll often be dealing with assassins (you can't get them off you using usual methods, since immune to stun is also immune to freeze.) Assassins also start having tons of Hp (24+M each) and when there's 5+ 3 times per wave you pretty much have to deal with them full time, even worse if they get Immune to Stun + Immune to Player spells, which is the most obnoxious combo in the game.

But aside from that there are rarely 3 hard lanes in a game. So you simply overbuild one, and hold the other.

Acenf, Deadly Strikes, Max Ascension, and whatever gives you enough damage to always kill Goblins with Flame Aura at level 1. That's really the main goal of Flame Aura, to deal enough damage to kill all smaller minions. So a lane with lady Zerker + Goblins, you could put 1 flame at the start of a lane, killing all the Goblins, and an LSA at your wall, killining all the Zerkers.

I had a lost temple map recently (I think it was floor 110) that only had 3 gems and 1300 DU to start. I don’t remember exact number of lanes (it was way less than usual), it felt like a major vacation!!

And then, to top it off, NO LANE opened for the second round. I am dead serious. No new lanes and it stayed at 1300 DU. I haven’t seen that in forever (before 65?). I was streaming on twitch at the time and I spent 5+ minutes running around making sure. Rounds 3-5 continued to have new lanes with 200 DU like usual.  What a treat that map was!!

I am also pretty consistently getting 2 burn lanes In lost temple now (often the second opens up with one of the subsequent rounds nee lanes). So that is fun....

I second the comment on the Assassins. They are becoming my primary problem (outside of the fortune I spend in DU dealing with the suicide lightning birds). 3+ attack at once and if they can’t be stunned it is a problem. I have to stay close to some serious defenses that can hit them hard and fast when they jump me.

[[177890,users]] I've had some really cool lane combos too. One with every air lane open. And another with both quad lanes opening up! Neither had Frost or Cyborks making them super efficient DU wise.

As for EMP Kobolds, a trick I've been using is to simply put an Obelisk in each lane that has them. They'll never die, and they'll eat every EMP Kobold and still a lot for other lanes.