Sign in to follow this  
1earth

Onslaught 54+ - Extremly Difficult Lanes - Need Advice

Can I get some help with some of the more difficult lanes on Onslaught? I'm getting tired of having my butt handed to me on these ridiculous mutators/creep combinations.

1. Frost Lane + Cybork + Control Burn: Anything with a control burn lane is annoying enough, but having a cybork with a 100+ mob is unbelievably difficult to defend. Cybork disable the most reliable cc (traps/nodes) in the game leaving you with PDT's/Frosty tower as the only ranged cc, and frost enemies are immuned to the frosty : ( only PDT's and hero poison/drench/oil damage. After a wall + reflect, I usually only have enough DU for a PDT + 2 cannonball w/ stunfire, which is not enough to hold this lane.

2. Wide Lane + 200 DU lane limit + Throwers + Berserker: Defense Unit management is key to onslaught, but when you have to spend DU for 2 walls + 3 node reflect beam, it cuts in to your reserves. This can snowball in maps like the Terraria map or most of the Lost Temple just to avoid the Berserkers from surprise hitting your crystal. This can leave the last lane down to a wall with no other defenses, sometimes.

3. Choke Lane (2 or 3 lanes side-by-side or combining together) + Random Mutator + Cybork/Geode/Frost Ork: This is by far the funnest, and the most mind boggling challenge on onslaught. A good example of a frustrating choke lane would be Demon's Lair or Nimbus Reach with one of the lanes being either a Get Stronger overtime/Reduced resistance per unique source of damage/ increased phys-magic resistance mutators. Having a mix of cyborks/ Frost ork/  geode will make you want to build purely bees or ramsters but it will make your battle phase a constant nightmare. This becomes even worse when the choke is a wide lane! You can never be fully confident when building those lanes with all the things happening around you during combat phase.

4. Zappers: Nothing can kill these guys fast enough. Your best bet on defeating them is to let them hit your skyguard. Talk about a well balanced enemy. If only we have more spare DU for Flyers then this would be alright, but as it is, the most I would happily spend on a flying lane is 50 DU. 

If someone could help with some tips, that would be great. It sucks going in to onslaught knowing I have at least a 50% chance of winning a map, multiply that by 3 wins straight and my chances look grim (12.5% chance). 

ramster was probably my single most used tower before I joined the dark side and just started using dryad for everything.  if you use deadly strikes with it combined with range gambit you can safely deal with pretty much any lane in the game.

as for controlled burn lanes a drenching strikes shard in your weapon will help a lot.  if there are no cyborks/frosties in that lane I found a couple dryad slimes plus a PDT to be sufficient to allow you to basically ignore it but I personally just camp them with a drenching strikes dryad with light swing speed and storm damage which allows me to completely shut down the lane right at the spawn.

I never had much trouble with DU management on wide lanes.  Lanes with nothing but throwers can usually be controlled with nothing but a single wall, a single reflect beam, and some other source of damage.  I rarely encounter a lane where I can't position the wall in a narrower part so I don't need two walls.

zappers are another pain that is eased with just spamming dryad bees near air spawns.

1 pdt plus 2 cannons = 2 Ramsters - Go with the ramsters.

You might have to babysit the lane for the first wave or until you can upgrade the ramsters and wall 1 tier

Regarding your comment of 200 DU per lane - you CANNOT assume you have to only use that. As a matter of fact, you need to build thinking about what you can later tear down when you can land upgrades. I watch lanes during first wave (even just watching mini map) and you can see lanes that are very secure (plus you get comfortable with min reqs for schedules). It is VERY common for me to sell some stuff during the lost temple round so to re-allocate to lanes that needed more from those that needed less. Especially as I could upgrade.

The high enemy quantity burn lanes with cyborgs are super hard. As someone else said, I often have to get involved to DPS directly with drench, have multiple PDT facing different directions  (hitting them front and back or from side so they walk through the PDT path and it can move to poison the next target), some bees and/or flame auras to kill them while they are poisoned, etc.

@Ziggo quote:

1 pdt plus 2 cannons = 2 Ramsters - Go with the ramsters.

You might have to babysit the lane for the first wave or until you can upgrade the ramsters and wall 1 tier

Controlled burn lanes need to have a condition on them to be able to damage them.  A condition like stun or poison. As far as I'm aware (I might be wrong, might a shard) ramsters do not give that making that idea invalid. 1 ramster plus proton beam could handle it, as proton beams can freeze. Except cyborks nulify that idea.

1Earth

I'm currently on floor 120, and I rarely fail maps anymore. I'd say maybe once every 5-10 floors.

I made a preliminary tier list of onslaught defenses here, that I'll update very soon. I was also going to make a short hero DPS ranking, but I've been sidetracked playing They Are Billions.

1. Control Burn and Frost are usually among the most difficult schedule / mutators. But I actually prefer the Cybork variant of Control Burn over Geode. Frost and Cybork are functionally the same anyway, limiting ground defenses, and PDT are the most reliable way to apply status. I usually use 1 PDT near the start of the lane, and another at my wall to catch anything that made it through. If the lane is long enough, your first PDT will severely injure if not kill all enemies coming through, but if the lane is very short you'll need some pretty heavy AoE damage. I usually use 1 Ballista and 2 Cannons (with stun), unless the lane also has Guards, in which case you'll either have to hold it yourself or massively overspend it.

2. You don't need to double wall wide lanes, unless the lane is very short. The main offenders here are Lost Temple at the very bottom of the map, where there's a lane that needs 3 walls ( a wide and narrow choke ) and a very short lane that needs 2 walls. Hex Throwers always target the closest wall, so you just need to place one wall further up, and only place reflects on that. You can also use certain defenses as a 2nd wall, I usually use Frost Tower on some spots, just be sure to place the actual wall much closer. If the lane is long, I use an Earthshatter to catch and kill all Zerkers. You sometimes don't even need to wall unless the schedule has 6+ Zerkers.

3. Mulitple Lanes together are really good. This is because there's a lot of overlap, both in terms of walls (your 1-2 walls is now holding 3-4 lanes) and AoE defenses. You can also usually hold here yourself as player DPS, since if you are holding 3-4 lanes you'll have a ton of DU to spend elsewhere. Otherwise I'd use Rams + Earthshatter, since they ignore all Chaos Enemies.

4. I use an obelisk in every air lane. At 100+ EMPs can't be killed with a Skyguard, regardless of level, but they only deal roughly 500k damage so you can easily tank the 2-4 per wave with an Obeslisk that is actually extremely useful on the rest of the map too. I don't mind spending 90 DU on an air lane if most of that is helping other lanes too (I use Earth Toss).

If you're on PC, I can hop in a game and show you some basic builds. On lower floors I was practicing with building with way less DU to learn some very lean and efficient builds. 

Thank you for the feedback everyone, I am very open to suggestions.

1. I've been trying both Juicebags builds and yours Jason Order from your earlier, but a ballista does poorly in lanes that are wide, sloped, or curved - hence not viable for most maps/lanes. Earthshaker towers are pretty damn expensive for something that only hits 1 enemy.

2.I never thought of hero DPSing the combined lanes just because you need to be ready for the wave boss. Its possible to do on small maps, but on big maps you are taking a huge risk.

3. I didn't know about the wall trick where you put one further than the other. I'll give that a try. 

4. I dont like Zappers.

slime pits ftw early stages just check out the mobs i use about 4 pits on a cybork lane most norm lanes require 2-3 more a health thing then a numbers thing beserkers and big orc get closer to pits which can slowly spill over not to bad in norm lanes but cyborc lane prity much game over and some times gambling on damage deaing over safety is the safer bet but u do need vicious and deadly strikes to do decent dryad builds

@1earth quote:

Thank you for the feedback everyone, I am very open to suggestions.

1. I've been trying both Juicebags builds and yours Jason Order from your earlier, but a ballista does poorly in lanes that are wide, sloped, or curved - hence not viable for most maps/lanes. Earthshaker towers are pretty damn expensive for something that only hits 1 enemy.

2.I never thought of hero DPSing the combined lanes just because you need to be ready for the wave boss. Its possible to do on small maps, but on big maps you are taking a huge risk.

3. I didn't know about the wall trick where you put one further than the other. I'll give that a try. 

4. I dont like Zappers.

1. Ballista does a lot of area damage from the exploding shard and fires very quickly - a long straight lane is ideal, but you can usually get a position that works.

2. Depends of the boss, a lot of times your defenses will crush them, siege rollers often are slow enough that you can effectively finish off the trash then go kill them ( depends on lane length obviously ). Once I got past 65 I've found that dps'ing problem lanes is becoming increasingly important, especially controlled burn.

4. Zappers, as named in the schedule, are actually the lightning bugs ( easiest of the fliers ), I'm assuming you mean EMP gliders - they show up in the schedule as 'EMP'.  Jason's suggestion of obelisks as bait is what I do - two skyguards with a large gap between them can also work ( depending on mutator ), but the obelisk also does a truckload of other work and is effectively foolproof.