Sign in to follow this  
MaJean

A thread about changes to Onslaught

wait, is "the update" 2.4?  Or some kind of community update?

@Lawlta quote:

@BeerGoggles quote:

We are supposed to get  more updates on the content coming in 2.4 in the next 1-2 weeks too.

I'll clarify this more. 2.4 in 1-2 weeks. More info on the upcoming unannounced features some time after the update.

I'm going to give you my opinion on the whole Onslaught debate.

Onslaught itself is fine, the variety of enemies, locations and different mutators is fun to beat.

However the way it's executed simply isn't.

Case and point.

I was helping my friend climb higher floors in Onslaught and he gets kicked out of the game on the lost temple map. Now that would be fine and all if ya know he was allowed to join back. So seriously if you are not going to allow a save feature then implement the ability to join a person on any of the 3 floors as long as they have unlocked it.

I simply quit out after that. That was 40 minutes to an hour wasted.

Look I get you guys are lacking in content and always developing more and Onslaught is supposed to pad out the game.

However what you really are doing is annoying the player, rather than rewarding them for putting in the extra time.

3 maps per floor isn't challenging, it's just tedious.

The biggest issue I have read and experienced is Ancient Power itself. Those first few resets hurt that's for sure. So maybe start thinking of ways to give a better return for people's efforts.

"3 maps per floor isn't challenging, it's just tedious.

The biggest issue I have read and experienced is Ancient Power itself. Those first few resets hurt that's for sure. So maybe start thinking of ways to give a better return for people's efforts." - KnowsNoLimits

This is absolutely true: Absolutely true. I cannot change a person's way of being, for if I could I would have long ago.

I object to a game being released with known issues, and I object to issues within said game persisting whilst monies are continually being collected.

There was a day when gaming companies would scarcely brave the release of a game for the sake of their reputation. Now it seems that the majority of companies out there are rushing to make "Fortnight" kind of money, regardless of the level of sacrifice in quality this brings.

You wasted 40 minutes, this is probably only an instance; you've probably wasted more minutes. Some of my friends, along with myself, wasted days. You may have wasted days as well. My point is, gaming companies should do everything in their power to keep players from being discouraged do to gamebreaking glitches that are out of the players' hands. The problem is, they don't.

I see it in an easier way, because I know that they do not want to change the system already implemented, my opinion would be for example: floor 60, room 1. in Onslaught that looks like: 60-1 or 60/1 as you want. It happens to me very often fall of connection or low light, then that would help me a lot.

@BeerGoggles quote:

wait, is "the update" 2.4?  Or some kind of community update?

@Lawlta quote:

@BeerGoggles quote:

We are supposed to get  more updates on the content coming in 2.4 in the next 1-2 weeks too.

I'll clarify this more. 2.4 in 1-2 weeks. More info on the upcoming unannounced features some time after the update.

Fixed my original post, haha. So much for clarity!

@Chappyy quote:

@gotrunks712 quote:

@Chappyy quote:Swell so lets add other new things that will not be discussed or revealed until patch day.  Yeah I know you said this wasn't going to happen but forgive me since I have been here since pre-alpha launch. So instead of finishing major core features that have been added i.e. onslaught (which clearly there is major controversy since December) you are going to add new mysterious stuff that will no doubt cause other issues. I'm sure those issue will no doubt be the kind that could have been avoided if you had announced early enough to get feed back with enough time to tweak before release. Kind of like most other games that have a "unstable branch" or a "patch server" That they offer to the public instead of in secret like they are the CIA working on covert ops.

You do realize there have been multiple opportunities to join either the RQA or RPG testing groups for DD2?  Yes larger games have test branches open to the public.  DD2 has a much smaller playerbase and development team to coordinate all of that.  Contact Dani if you'd like to join, but it's always been there with multiple people providing feedback.

Yeah after you sign a nondisclosure agreement which is not public. Not to mention a long time ago I was part of the RPG we gave feed back that was completely ignored which resulted in a patch releasing that had issues. When you tell a group of people they can't talk about anything they are doing it makes it easy to ignore them.

Feedback from the testing groups is taken very seriously and always action in some form or fashion. It is factually incorrect to claim any of it is ignored. Please also refrain, even incorrectly, from your referencing your RPG activities.

I had a very rare opportunity to play the 3 map run last night, and talked with a guy during that run where he said he had failed 3 times on map 3 out of 3 on whatever wave. He was as demotivated to play as I can imagine a lot of people are.

I have played DD1,DDE and DD2 for a long time, DD1 on the very long time requiring runs had a save point in survival. They didn't have in the crystalline dimension, but I get that, that was the final boss fight against the Old One.

Onslaught is asking you to put in that sort of commitment, and no you don't get a custom skin, or a funky weapon, you just get more of the same if you actually beat that floor. Yes you do get a flair if you are masochistic enough to get to 114 (I believe, I'll never see it)

Going on the official posts here I guess we are not going to see a save point as Trendy knows everyone loves 3 map runs.

Steam forum posts on 3 maps per floor

A big thank's to whoever changed the title on this Thread ...  i refrained myself from posting because it felt like i was bumping the wrong idea. Emoji_GobHuntress.png

@KnowsNoLimits quote:

The biggest issue I have read and experienced is Ancient Power itself. Those first few resets hurt that's for sure. So maybe start thinking of ways to give a better return for people's efforts.

This depends from player to player ... if all new players would take the advice to get to 114 Floor before Reseting AP just for the Min Ascension lvl ... not only for flair ... it would make things much easier for all. They should Just take Juicebags small tutorial on how to start AP and they are fine... 

Emoji_Ogre.png Here i have a diferent opinion but it's just me ... i'll go for 320 Min Asc ... and if you HAVE the time it's easy.

@Fozzie quote:

Onslaught is asking you to put in that sort of commitment ...

Yes you do get a flair if you are masochistic enough to get to 114 (I believe, I'll never see it)

:))) by your standards i am masochistic  Emoji_TNT.png  i realy enjoy Onslaught (but i have little time) 

@BeerGoggles quote:

You can beat a three map floor in less than 35 minutes if you're playing fast. 45minutes is casual pace

45 mins for casual Player ? maybe ... but not for me ... it takes me 2 hours to complete a floor ... let me show you some details :)  ... today i managed to make 2 hours free to start new Floor Onslaught ... at Map 1 Wave 4 i had to vacum the house because of some unexpected problem with dust (ceiling repair) ... continued ... until Map 2 Wave 3 ... a client needed few modifications to project (50 mins break) ... Map 3 Wave 2 i got realy hungry ... go eat :) ... i eventualy i finished Floor 116 in 3 Hours and 20 mins :D

That my friend BeerGoggles means Casual for some of us ;))) ... and Trust me it's so easy ... after i mastered how to build ... all waves i just sit and watch the game, no need for personal intervention.

One approach could be a more simple checkpoint system between maps maybe?

As an example, you start floor 65 and completes map 1 [checkpoint] you now have the option from scoreboard to continue to next map or log out to tavern, exit game or do other game modes/play with friends etc. 

Next time you start Onslaught you can continue to map 2 and the old checkpoint between map 1 and map 2 is now gone. So now you have to complete map 2 to get a new checkpoint between map 2 and 3. 

So once you start next map, previous checkpoint always gets removed. So you always have to complete the map you are playing (as how it works now). 

So there won't be a "save point" to fall back on, but you could take a break between maps. 

Only downside with this system is it won't save you from crashes and disconnect. But that should be fixed anyway. So it shouldn't be a problem in the long run. 

@Dani quote:

@Chappyy quote:

@gotrunks712 quote:

@Chappyy quote:Swell so lets add other new things that will not be discussed or revealed until patch day.  Yeah I know you said this wasn't going to happen but forgive me since I have been here since pre-alpha launch. So instead of finishing major core features that have been added i.e. onslaught (which clearly there is major controversy since December) you are going to add new mysterious stuff that will no doubt cause other issues. I'm sure those issue will no doubt be the kind that could have been avoided if you had announced early enough to get feed back with enough time to tweak before release. Kind of like most other games that have a "unstable branch" or a "patch server" That they offer to the public instead of in secret like they are the CIA working on covert ops.

You do realize there have been multiple opportunities to join either the RQA or RPG testing groups for DD2?  Yes larger games have test branches open to the public.  DD2 has a much smaller playerbase and development team to coordinate all of that.  Contact Dani if you'd like to join, but it's always been there with multiple people providing feedback.

Yeah after you sign a nondisclosure agreement which is not public. Not to mention a long time ago I was part of the RPG we gave feed back that was completely ignored which resulted in a patch releasing that had issues. When you tell a group of people they can't talk about anything they are doing it makes it easy to ignore them.

Feedback from the testing groups is taken very seriously and always action in some form or fashion. It is factually incorrect to claim any of it is ignored. Please also refrain, even incorrectly, from your referencing your RPG activities.

This right here is the ultimate perfect example of what I was talking about. Now Dani can come in and tell everyone on the boards I am wrong while at the same time reminding me that I can't defend myself by citing examples. So see, no this is not the same as a open public test server that always everyone to come and go as they please to test new content and provide feedback. The kind of open feedback that sparks discussions before things are released and you get a broad diverse set of view points. Unlike a small closed group that is probably made up of the hardcore elite players that only represent one view point. 

@Krro quote:

As an example, you start floor 65 and completes map 1 [checkpoint] you now have the option from scoreboard to continue to next map or log out to tavern, exit game or do other game modes/play with friends etc. 

Next time you start Onslaught you can continue to map 2 and the old checkpoint between map 1 and map 2 is now gone. So now you have to complete map 2 to get a new checkpoint between map 2 and 3. 

So once you start next map, previous checkpoint always gets removed. So you always have to complete the map you are playing (as how it works now).

Which is effectively 1 map floors, in a sense, with an possibility to fail back to map 1. Dropping to town or tavern out of a floor in any way is a big no from me because that allows you too much freedom to do a map then farm Trials or other modes then go back when you have more gear, gold, or shards. If you aren't prepared for it on entering then you shouldn't have been there to start. With the coming Vaults it also opens the possibility of "Oh I forgot this one thing in my Vault that I need for map 3, let me just complete map 1 and go get it real fast".

@Exglint quote:

@Krro quote:

Which is effectively 1 map floors, in a sense, with an possibility to fail back to map 1. Dropping to town or tavern out of a floor in any way is a big no from me because that allows you too much freedom to do a map then farm Trials or other modes then go back when you have more gear, gold, or shards. If you aren't prepared for it on entering then you shouldn't have been there to start. With the coming Vaults it also opens the possibility of "Oh I forgot this one thing in my Vault that I need for map 3, let me just complete map 1 and go get it real fast".

OMG and perish the thought to give players any freedom.

I don't really see the problem if you farm gear between floors or between maps dosn't make much difference imo. You still have to complete the map your on so you would still need to have the gear for it.  

@Exglint quote:

@Krro quote:

I really don't see that as something negative either instead of restarting the whole floor.

@emilian quote:

A big thank's to whoever changes the title on this Thread ...  i refrained myself from posting because it felt like i was bumping the wrong idea. Emoji_GobHuntress.png

@KnowsNoLimits quote:

This depends from player to player ... if all new players would take the advice to get to 114 Floor before Reseting AP just for the Min Ascension lvl ... not only for flair ... it would make things much easier for all. They should Just take Juicebags small tutorial on how to start AP and they are fine... 

Emoji_Ogre.png Here i have a diferent opinion but it's just me ... i'll go for 320 Min Asc ... and if you HAVE the time it's easy.

@Fozzie quote:

Onslaught is asking you to put in that sort of commitment ...

Yes you do get a flair if you are masochistic enough to get to 114 (I believe, I'll never see it)

:))) by your standards i am masochistic  Emoji_TNT.png  i realy enjoy Onslaught (but i have little time) 

@BeerGoggles quote:

You can beat a three map floor in less than 35 minutes if you're playing fast. 45minutes is casual pace

45 mins for casual Player ? maybe ... but not for me ... it takes me 2 hours to complete a floor ... let me show you some details :)  ... today i managed to make 2 hours free to start new Floor Onslaught ... at Map 1 Wave 4 i had to vacum the house because of some unexpected problem with dust (ceiling repair) ... continued ... until Map 2 Wave 3 ... a client needed few modifications to project (50 mins break) ... Map 3 Wave 2 i got realy hungry ... go eat :) ... i eventualy i finished Floor 116 in 3 Hours and 20 mins :D

That my friend BeerGoggles means Casual for some of us ;))) ... and Trust me it's so easy ... after i masered how to build ... all waves i just sit and wach the game no need for personal intervention.

That is some extreme case right there.

So what are you doing to keep your map open for 50 minutes for the work break and then for the lunch break? 

Still sounds like your actual playing time is for 45 minutes to a hour with a lot of breaks (using some 3rd party app to keep your session alive maybe?)

I would hate to watch a tv show with you, every 10 minutes you would need to pause it to take a hour long break, or is it just this one form of entertainment you expect to be that crazy flexible?

@emilian quote:

A big thank's to whoever changes the title on this Thread ...  i refrained myself from posting because it felt like i was bumping the wrong idea. Emoji_GobHuntress.png

Yeah It sounded a bit too negative and the thread is 4 months old, and frankly I was tired of seeing that title everywhere, since it´s a pretty hot thread right now.

I think KnowsNoLimits point is really solid. It would be nice if the process was less tedious. 

Personally, the worst part of the AP grind is the 25 maps between c6 (9 ish maps) c7 (10 to get max gear) + enough c7 to get a few max level medallians. Usually ends up being 23+ maps. 

After a certain point, it's not hard, you know how to build it, it's just going through the motions. 

You actually don't get to see any improvement. Skill caps increase but you never get to play with them. Exp and gold rates increase, but during the grind once you break through the bottle neck of hitting 250 by onslaught 65 and upgrading shards then those don't matter either. 

Some of this could change in the next few patches. However, I can only speak to the current content. 

Maybe AP could give you a gearscore boost? +10 per AP, e.g. 

Diablo 3 has similar endgame as onslaught. If you do well in a map then it unlocks more levels. If you complete 80 in 5 minutes then it unlocks 81-85. That kind of functionality could be adopted here. Maybe if you complete a map in <15 minutes it unlocks the next 3 levels. >30min would be 1 level. Alternatively, maybe you get map skip through allocating points in AP? There are a few ways to do it. 

@BeerGoggles quote:

Diablo 3 has similar endgame as onslaught. If you do well in a map then it unlocks more levels. If you complete 80 in 5 minutes then it unlocks 81-85. That kind of functionality could be adopted here. Maybe if you complete a map in <15 minutes it unlocks the next 3 levels. >30min would be 1 level. Alternatively, maybe you get map skip through allocating points in AP? There are a few ways to do it. 

Wouldnt this practically work the same as Mastery?  Only difference would be points earned would enable advancement rather than rewards.

1 pt = Victory
1 pt = Main Cores at 90% health or greater
1 pt = Victory in less than [time_limit}
1 pt = Perfectionist

Each floor would then have a 3pt gate added floor after floor.
Floor 1: 0 pt required
Floor 2: 3 pt required
Floor 3: 6 pt required

[[177736,users]], is this what you are suggesting? this type of idea?

@KnowsNoLimits quote:

I was helping my friend climb higher floors in Onslaught and he gets kicked out of the game on the lost temple map. Now that would be fine and all if ya know he was allowed to join back. So seriously if you are not going to allow a save feature then implement the ability to join a person on any of the 3 floors as long as they have unlocked it.

This exact thing happened to me last night.  Friend could not rejoin after a disconnect.

The point systems* are a clunky measure of "doing well" in a map (*maps points score ). But it's similar.  

I think time it takes to complete the map/floor would be a better metric. And it's nice cause it generally takes into account skill/expertise. 

I think <15 minutes to completion: Max skip (3?)

15-20min: 2 maps 

20+ min: 1 map.

You could get more granular, but you'd have to increase the max skip.

I don't think it's necessary to abstract the system into some sort of Mastery style points system. Progress is related to highest completed (basically already a measurement of where people are).

If you check the onslaught leaderboards, pretty much all the people arguing for not having a 3 map save are people who are already way up the leaderboard.  They  have a vested interest in making sure their leaderboard position isn't threatened by something that will allow more people to play the game.  

But the reality is that hardly anybody is doing onslaught.  Look at the leaderboards and the pathetic number of people that have reset or pushed floors.  I think anything that makes the game more accessible to players is good for all players and Trendy.

Lol. That's the conspiracy theory version. Obviously the people high on the leaderboard don't have a problem with the system as is. Obviously those people would want Trendy to spend time developing content for them. 

No offense, but people that can't beat c2 or onslaught 12 aren't really going to threaten the leaderboards. 

@Kruntski quote:

If you check the onslaught leaderboards, pretty much all the people arguing for not having a 3 map save are people who are already way up the leaderboard.  They  have a vested interest in making sure their leaderboard position isn't threatened by something that will allow more people to play the game.  

But the reality is that hardly anybody is doing onslaught.  Look at the leaderboards and the pathetic number of people that have reset or pushed floors.  I think anything that makes the game more accessible to players is good for all players and Trendy.