Sign in to follow this  
MaJean

A thread about changes to Onslaught

I just posted the times for accuracy's sake. Someone said the fastest c4 could be completed was 13 minutes, which definitely isn't the case. 

But that probably is around the average time for all players, which is probably a better measure anyway

Which would mean you're not ready for the content you are doing I think? Because I have a terribly equipped Dryad that was rolling over Frost, Cyborc, cursi-kaze, CB, and just about any lane you can think of. I mean I had a campaign level helm and boots with c7 gloves and chest, missing two very important shards for star fall amount and corruption mana drain which made me go out of corruption mode twice per wave to place more stars and still destroyed the floor.

I don't like Dryad, she is terribly balanced, she is skipping the point of AP and she avoids everything on a map. I would love to see her get changed and brought back into line with the other heroes. Those same heroes that I took from floor 65 to 114 without much problems. This should only get easier as they change Onslaught/AP.

To give value to things that had no value. I cannot find it in me to believe they wanted us to use four copies of  one hero to beat Onslaught and Ancient Power vs giving gold some actual value and giving us something that would, under normal circumstances, require multiple heroes to complete due the random nature of lanes and mutators. If that were the case why not just put out Chaos Trial 8 or higher because it would go to serve the same purpose, another thing to figure out and beat with an overbearing meta that never loses like Monk auras in C7. Not only that but further Chaos Trials would also have given us tangible stat progression in the form of bigger numbers on gear.

It just doesn't make any sense to me when you look at all the other options they had for new content. I do encourage the continued use of Dryad though, because I know the way meta breaking heroes go. :P

That's super vague and doesn't really answer the question of what the point of AP is. The point of AP is to give people a sense of "continued progression." c7 doesn't do that because it becomes trivially easy (why bother farming decent gear when any  c7 gear works just as well, why bother farming ascension when you crush c7 at 200, eg). 

@Exglint quote:

To give value to things that had no value.

@BeerGoggles quote:

I just posted the times for accuracy's sake. Someone said the fastest c4 could be completed was 13 minutes, which definitely isn't the case. 

But that probably is around the average time for all players, which is probably a better measure anyway

yes, that was me, This includes loading, building, repairing/upgrading and the chest, no use in ignoring all these things when talking aobut how long it takes to complete a floor. I didn´t say 13mins is fastest for C4.

your argument was that you can do onslaught in 45mins and over an hour is slow. Well ofc if we talk farming levels you are right. If we talk challening levels you are wrong.

the problem that it takes too much time for a 3 map floor is still there. No matter how fast i can farm lower floors, it´s no use at the current one.

@BeerGoggles quote:

That's super vague and doesn't really answer the question of what the point of AP is. The point of AP is to give people a sense of "continued progression." c7 doesn't do that because it becomes trivially easy (why bother farming decent gear when any  c7 gear works just as well, why bother farming ascension when you crush c7 at 200, eg). 

@Exglint quote:

To give value to things that had no value.

I was saying gold and the other heroes for that. Gold has so little value until AP that I still have more than most who reset more than 20 times and are positive on gold for resets. Then since each lane was different on enemies and mutators we started using defenses that we wouldn't normally use because they weren't all that great in normal Trials, like Explosive trap which I have used to great effect against Spellbreaker lanes with Vanguards or Geodes. Frosty Towers are also a defense I started using after Onslaught launched because of how useful it can be.

@Exglint quote:

Which would mean you're not ready for the content you are doing I think? Because I have a terribly equipped Dryad that was rolling over Frost, Cyborc, cursi-kaze, CB, and just about any lane you can think of. I mean I had a campaign level helm and boots with c7 gloves and chest, missing two very important shards for star fall amount and corruption mana drain which made me go out of corruption mode twice per wave to place more stars and still destroyed the floor.

I don't like Dryad, she is terribly balanced, she is skipping the point of AP and she avoids everything on a map. I would love to see her get changed and brought back into line with the other heroes. Those same heroes that I took from floor 65 to 114 without much problems. This should only get easier as they change Onslaught/AP.

The dryad facerolls everything IMO.. but it's fine. This is not a highly competitive game... its more about having fun and having a great time... and she is absolutely great at that. The only real counter to the dryad are heavy frost lanes and random cyborks stunning everything (annoying as hell), other than that she can handle everything.

@pApA^LeGBa quote:

the problem that it takes too much time for a 3 map floor is still there. No matter how fast i can farm lower floors, it´s no use at the current one.

Today my girlfriend and I experienced our first blackout during floor 79 (map 3 wave 3/5) and it felt so incredibly bad. I'm pretty sure that once anyone reaches map 3 he/she is going to pray to the gods for nothing to happen to their connection/power supply/random crash/etc. A save feature that tracks your progress is really needed.

We like to double check everything during map 3 because we've had some really cheap wipes due to phased lady orcs getting past defenses at 100hp or kobolds suiciding on crystals out of nowhere. Due to this it takes between 50 minutes to one hour and a half to complete the floor. This highly depends on the previous maps.. tiny ruins/city lower the time significantly while all the castles, buried bastille, big ruins/city increase the time needed.

I also feel like the difficulty of the floors depends way too much on RNG. We had Lost Temples where almost every lane was frosty with cyborks (controlled burn, explosive, unstoppable,etc) and then we had lost temples where every lane was susceptible to all kinds of dmg with no frosty or cyborks leading to really easy wins. I think floors should have a mix of difficulty to be honest because this only encourages the abuse of the reroll feature. Now, after we press G and see the lanes / mutators, we instantly decide whether or not to give this spawns a try or just simply reroll them away in order to save time to avoid a potential DC or whatever infortunate event.

The need for a save system has been a no brainer in onslaught since inception, the reducing numbers just shows that people can't wait forever for their effort to be repaid with even small progression steps.

Great if you can do floors and floors every session you play, good for you. Most can't or don't want to so allowing them to progress just makes sense.

Question for onslaught... there are so many posts in this thread so it may have already been made and there bay be twelve other ideas infinitely better.

What if a single floor, that rather than 2 or 3 maps was always 1 map, but simply more waves?  Such as 8-9 rather than 5?  I think this could be quite fun and we could see even more defenses get past three star rather than a select few?  If the mobs scaled a little harder on 6, and a little harder on 7 it could accommodate the this perhaps?  Perhaps not scale mobs but simply throw more bosses at us per waves 6 thru 8?

Throwing it out there.

Thanks!

As they mentioned somewhere a long way back that Trendy did ask what was the best wave count\match length and the 5waves won through.

This does work pretty well. Now all they have to do is stick to it, i.e. let you get progress for those 5 waves. Simples as the Meerkat would say.

By all means look at a modifier that bumps up the waves, mini bosses.

Remember we have no boss fights in DD2, Betsy, Demon Lord and Harbinger don't exist any more.

Let alone the Goblin battlecruiser from Sky City, one of the best fights in DD1...........

Ah!  Good to know.  I do wish we had actual "boss" encounters.  As my wife is gearing up - she is a DPSer where I do the towers - it's been nice to relearn the mutators.  Still would love to see more improvements.

Thanks for the help!

Getting "CONNECTION TIMEOUT" continually now. It is preety random. It occurs during map play and also in the private tavern - as I tried to decide about a mythical defender pack the program disconnected. I have no idea what happen to the defender pack. I'm slowly moving away thanks to this crap. Have fun with new supposed massive updates. Always thought that crit damage was a bunch of bull. What use are updates if the game is unplayable?