Sign in to follow this  
MaJean

A thread about changes to Onslaught

I´m currently floor 102. I´ve spent at least an hour on this floor, and in wave 5/5 (not even kidding) on The Lost Temple map, Playverse decides to expire on me. 

Needless to say, this did not make for a great gaming experience. It actually made me quite mad, that I just spent a good part of my evening on this - just to have the game fail on me. My time and effort was wasted. It would have been fine if it was my own mistake, but it was not. Adding salt to the wound, is that I have to redo the whole floor, not just the last map. 

Trendy, for a game this buggy, we need to have our progress saved, after each completed map. Or, at the very least, have a retry function.

M.

Not particularly trendy just needs to get rid of the games bugs causing players to lose their progress in onslaught. A save feature in onslaught or a change to 1 floor feature would make more savvy players to simply restart maps till the spawns and maps were favorable. If players can just simply roll maps and spawns till their favorable onslaught will not be as fun because that would be the most efficient way to move up floors therefore naturally no one would play the legitimate way.

@gunnysarge75 quote:

A save feature in onslaught or a change to 1 floor feature would make more savvy players to simply restart maps till the spawns and maps were favorable. If players can just simply roll maps and spawns till their favorable onslaught will not be as fun because that would be the most efficient way to move up floors therefore naturally no one would play the legitimate way.

People can already reroll the first map, and the third map is always the same.... 

So what if people can reroll map 2? Make it a pool of harder maps then, anything is better than doing three maps over again. Another thing is the time consumption. Not everyone can sit for hours in each sitting.

Ancient temple map on its own isn't difficult it is the lane spawns and modifiers that you might get in what lanes is what makes it difficult. I'm not going to argue that having to redo maps isn't frustrating however if the retry button IF it also re rolls the spawns from say frost lanes to say a very easy lane why wouldn't everyone just reroll with retry till they got something easy and then onslaught gets degraded to simply rolling rng.

@MaJean quote:

@gunnysarge75 quote:

A save feature in onslaught or a change to 1 floor feature would make more savvy players to simply restart maps till the spawns and maps were favorable. If players can just simply roll maps and spawns till their favorable onslaught will not be as fun because that would be the most efficient way to move up floors therefore naturally no one would play the legitimate way.

People can already reroll the first map, and the third map is always the same.... 

So what if people can reroll map 2? Make it a pool of harder maps then, anything is better than doing three maps over again.

Totally agreed. I could've been in higher floors if there's a retry button (it's just for another attempt, re-rolling doesn't matter to me) instead of being stuck at a floor for days, way behind planned schedule.....and the pain of feeling you've got to retry all over again when you lose.

@gunnysarge75 quote:

Ancient temple map on its own isn't difficult it is the lane spawns and modifiers that you might get in what lanes is what makes it difficult. I'm not going to argue that having to redo maps isn't frustrating however if the retry button IF it also re rolls the spawns from say frost lanes to say a very easy lane why wouldn't everyone just reroll with retry till they got something easy and then onslaught gets degraded to simply rolling rng.

By all means if people wanna reroll through eternity, let them. Trendy could make each map come out the same no matter how many times you reroll, that is fine. There just has to be a way to retry a map in case something like what I described in the OP happens.

I support a retry function under the condition It keeps the lane schedules the same so it doesn't give the player an incentive gameplay wise to abuse it's function.

@MaJean quote:

I´m currently floor 102. I spent at least an hour on this floor, and in wave 5/5 (not even kidding) on The Ancient Temple map, Playverse decides to expire on me. 

Needless to say, this did not make for a great gaming experience. It actually made me quite mad, that I just spent a good part of my evening on this - just to have the game fail on me. My time and effort was wasted. It would have been fine if it was my own mistake, but it was not. Adding salt to the wound, is that I have to redo the whole floor, not just the last map. 

Trendy, for a game this buggy, we need to have our progress saved, after each completed map. Or, at the very least, have a retry function.

M.

Is this the reason why steam charts are half what they were last december?

@Skyaliciouse quote:

@MaJean quote:

I´m currently floor 102. I spent at least an hour on this floor, and in wave 5/5 (not even kidding) on The Ancient Temple map, Playverse decides to expire on me. 

M.

Is this the reason why steam charts are half what they were last december?

Playing Dungeon Frustrations 2 is not fun, so people seek elsewhere.

You should at the bare minimum at least be able to log out between maps and then be able to continue when you log back in. No reason at all not to make that change.  It's not reasonable that you are forced to play two hours for one floor.  Some sort of retry system would also be nice. 

The way I can see this system working (provided Trendy wants to limit progression) is if A.) we're permitted 1 retry per floor before it costs continually more medals (like defender packs) and B.) it works like a save system.

A.) The cost that comes after the first retry would limit abuse of the system regardless what the reason was for using the retry function. For example, if it's a connection loss/crash/expired login/occasional map loss, then little to no medals would be spent. If it's for repeated map losses or to push further, start grinding those medals.

B.) A checkpoint would be saved at the start of each map (up to a maximum of 3). The last checkpoint in the list would always be replaced by the most current played map. Each checkpoint otherwise has an expiration of x hours (where x is the number of hours Trendy wants for that 'break').

The need for this system stems from the issues players face with connection losses, crashes, expired logins and other problems that disconnect them. The retry feature is otherwise useless if these players can't return to the map in their floor. The reason for the 3 checkpoints is to have the previous checkpoint if the current checkpoint gets corrupted while auto-saving.

While I can't say I ever had to retry a floor from a map loss, I did lose a floor from the expired login nonsense. I must say, it is exceptionally frustrating to get booted mid-game and see an hour of progress disappear from something I can't control. As MaJean perfectly put it, "my time and effort was wasted." I'm kind of reluctant to play Onslaught knowing I can be kicked at any time.

@gunnysarge75 quote:

You are meant to go through this 50+ times, It doesn't need anymore difficult than the interminably long grind. Look how far people have gotten no life-ing it for  3 weeks, 

I support the 1 map per floor idea. I've lost countless maps due to thing that are just simply out of my control. Nimbus AI choosing to go on vacation. Server lagged out for 20 sec and whole team couldn't move. Other instances were mobs getting bubbled over and behind viper, boss skeleton spawning on cores. Even had a higher level come in on my 3/3 map and asked to build, I sold all my traps because he had "higher" dps, it was 10% more dmg but did not have a range shard, we lost the game and I lost my previous 2 floors progress.

Onslaught needs change NOW, especially with so many bugs it is just exhausting and infuriating to have to restart 3 floors. There is just too much effort at stake that can change in the blink of an eye.

I had many mobs walk the "wrong" way on temple map, they are not walking as the line shows. Super annoying. 

DD1 Survival allowed you to restart on any completed wave( up to a legitimate map maximum), so if you got to 19 you could start on 19.

Its odd that something so unbroken could get so broken.

Retry function or floor 102/3 save point, its not hard to add to the game start menu.

Not everyone has hours on end to retry a full 3 map run.

@Fozzie quote:

DD1 Survival allowed you to restart on any completed wave( up to a legitimate map maximum), so if you got to 19 you could start on 19.

Its odd that something so unbroken could get so broken.

Retry function or floor 102/3 save point, its not hard to add to the game start menu.

Not everyone has hours on end to retry a full 3 map run.

ayy Fozzie

nice comment

Definately stinks not to be able to “play a quick DD game” that makes any progress unless I have 90min+ AND don’t lose anything. If TE wants the bar SUPER high (ie - must clear 3 maps without failure) I am fine with it but not being able to take a break really stinks. (ANd if there are connection issues those stink, too. I had a bunch back before the second patch but other than a power outage, I haven’t had the game glitch me to a loss in dozens of floors on XBOX. But no doubt it happens and seems unfair).

Bump - This issue needs addressed. I keep losing floors from Playverse expiring and lost another one to it today. I've lost maps before, sometimes several in a row but never has my motivation been killed worse than losing due to expired servers.

@sn/+/per what platform is this happening on?

We hear the feedback, and are looking for the best solution, alongside replaying failed maps :)