Sign in to follow this  
Dalkonzar

Shard Drop Rates

Obviously a quick google search shows that this has been brought up many times before and even responded to by someone that looked like a trendy employee (name surrounded in red).  But I did notice its been several month since its been brought up. I'm not going to go into a super detail problem / solution post this has been done before by much more eloquent people.  I think the problem boils down to 2 main issues in my opinion.  Those being:

1. A large portion of the shards in the game just aren't very useful be it because your not using that hero to dps or if you already have one of that specific shard.

2.  Power transfer (just using it as an example since its the one I'm currently hunting) seems to be the best shard on almost every single damage dealing defense (I'm sure there are exceptions but every single combination I've tried always comes out with higher dps if there is a PT in it) and it has a roughly 3% drop rate assuming that all the shards have the same drop rate.  Thats an absurd amount of play time assuming it actually even drops 3% of time for you which hasn't been my experience.

I guess my question is if anyone has any more current information as to if this is being addressed soon or if there is a reason its being ignored?

Iam pretty sure they dont have same droprate, actually iam hunting deadly strike (Chaos 3), i have almost opened 300 chests and got 1 allready.

I think usefull shards are rigged for "fun" purpose so player can farm for longer time a Chaos 3 trial without taking care about Chaos 4-7.

According to Trendy, they have repeatedly told us that all the shards have the same drop rate.

That said, I find Power Transfer, Deadly Strikes, Destruction and Frosty beams pop up VERY rarely! On the other hand, I've spoken with players who have an over abundance of Deadly Strikes and Power transfer. 

RNG gonna be RNG! Either you are blessed by the RNG gods or you aren't (sadly, I'm not).

TCPOP (Take Care Peace Out Peeps)
Happy Holidays!!!!

Shard system is bad, pales in comparsion to what spheres were. You could use the same "shard" in many places at the same time (You could use that one shard on 10000 relics at the same time without having to buy 10 000 seperate ones, and 10 000 is just a number... it was actually infinite). Buy one, use in infinite places as desired. and they weren't hoarding all our inventory spaces. My friend says shards are a combo of passive which is true, but they could've done that with spheres too. Now shards are a monetization thing, so they'll never go back on it now most likely but that's upto them.

If I were to carry over the nicer things about spheres, it would be to to use 1 shard in multiple places at the same time or at least count 1 shard as 2-5 to balance it out.

I would also take out some of the grind factor to shards (but that'll never happen because spheres, aka shards, are now monetized unlike their previous predecessor)

Well its true - some shards are just more common then others. But with the bonus sharda after 3rd win the chances goes sky rocket high fast. Yesterday I was farming for one specific shard in C1, took me exactly 8 maps to find it. Quite good ratio. But it wasn´t any rare one. Deadly strikes and frosty beam is really raare.

@atharix quote:

Well its true - some shards are just more common then others. But with the bonus sharda after 3rd win the chances goes sky rocket high fast. Yesterday I was farming for one specific shard in C1, took me exactly 8 maps to find it. Quite good ratio. But it wasn´t any rare one. Deadly strikes and frosty beam is really raare.

That not how random selections work...

I would like to point out that some shards might seem more rare as you need a lot of them while others you will only ever need one of. For example power transfer, as mentioned, is a shard you need a lot of (or at least want) so it might seem more rare than empowering flames, which shares the same chaos IV shard pack. As you will never need more than one empowering flames your inventory can quickly fill up with them if you don't sell often. On the other hand, power transfer rarely sits around in the inventory when there's towers that need them faster than you can find them. Also, the amount of "trash" shards might make it seem like some are vastly more common simply because they kinda get grouped together in your mind.

There are atm 34 possible shard drops in chaos IV, of those only 2 are used repeatedly (Defense rate and power transfer) while of the other 32 I'd say about 4-5 are actually worth using. So of course it's going to seem like they are rare when they drown in a load of vendor stuff. But if you count each individual shard they might not be that much rarer.

This is in itself of course a bad design. As you pretty much drown in shards that literally have no use whatsoever after you get a copy of the few usable ones.  Even if every shard was good enough to use there's still the issue of some shards inherently being shards you want multiple copies of sharing the pool with the ones that you only need one of.

That being said, very few shards are so vital that you can't play without them and furthermore, play enough and you'll get them sooner or later. I had to wait until ascension level 150 or so to get my first deadly strike and yet today I noticed I had 3 sitting around in the inventory as I didn't have enough towers to use them on. What bothers me more is that some shards are not available any more yet apparently still functions for people that got them before. Take Water Elemental for example, giving every tower a chance to drench enemies. Could be really useful in some lanes in onslaught. (Although, I haven't checked lately if they do actually still work)

In my opinion the shard system needs to be looked at, but it's not necessarily something that needs to be of the highest priority. Most of all something needs to be done about the inventory bloat of having all these shards that might be useful. Shards you don't need should get some kind of value. Maybe trade in 10 for another shardpack of the same chaos tier? Maybe you could trade them in for a very low amount of defender medals? Maybe they can be disenchanted and the materials could be used to upgrade relics and items even further? Duplicates could be used to upgrade the ones you have to save some gold when using ancient power (as the gold drain of having to upgrade every reset is apparently insane). Who knows.

[[83985,users]] I have a lot of legacy shards, and most of them either don't work in Onslaught (Water Elemental does not drench Controlled Burn lanes) or have been permanently disabled (Radiant Power). Out of the 24 Legacy shards, I feel like only 5 are good, and they usually aren't best in slot. Although I really like Super conductor.

@The Jason Order quote:

JudgeM I have a lot of legacy shards, and most of them either don't work in Onslaught (Water Elemental does not drench Controlled Burn lanes) or have been permanently disabled (Radiant Power). Out of the 24 Legacy shards, I feel like only 5 are good, and they usually aren't best in slot. Although I really like Super conductor.

Whoa! Really? Water Elemental shard doesn't drench enemies with controlled burn?! That's a shocker.