Sign in to follow this  
Sstonne

My ideas to improve Ancient Power

Onslaught so far to me has been a huge bag of mixed emotions. Onslaught does something’s really good, but also does something’s really poorly. 

My main concern is ancient power. I don’t know who would want to reset everything they worked for, even if the reward is good. Some may argue that the increased ascension caps will really make a difference. Although this is true, the amount of time it will take to reach 999 caps is just too unrealistic and you also have to take into consideration how long it will take to grind to 3000 ascension to get the most benefit. DD2 has a small community and the amount of players that will ever reach 50 ancient power is such a small number. Also another huge concern for me is how boring it will be to prestige and progress to floor 65, 50 times...  I’ve seen so many people complaining that they can’t even get past floor 57! If they can’t even prestige once I can’t imagine they will be able to do it 50 times. 

Ways to improve

1. Instead of being able to put 5 points into each ancient power category for 1%, make it so that you can only put 1 point into each category for 5% (2.5 for the other ones). Not only would this greatly reduce the amount of times one will have to reset from 50 times to 10, it will also make you feel a lot more stronger then a 1% increase each time. This would make me feel so much more motivated because I know that in the near-ish future I will achieve max ancient power. Even 10 levels in the current state of the game for most people would require quite a big time sink. Personally I don’t even want to continue to prestige after 2 times because of how bored I am of doing the same thing over and over, but I also feel like I will never be motivated enough to reach 50 levels.

2. Reduce the amount of time it takes to get to floor 65. Once you get to floor 60, each floor will contain 3 maps, and the third is always the lost temple. I think this constant 3 maps a floor should start on 65 instead of 60. This is a small change but it would make the last 5 floors feel so much quicker and less painful. Also I’m pretty sure trendy is already adding this, but a way to retry a map when you lose would definitely save some people’s sanity.

3. In game tutorial of enemy icons. If you’ve completed a c7 match you automatically started at floor 55. When you load into floor 55 for the first time, and look at the boards for all the mobs in a lane, you might have no idea what the mobs do which makes it impossible for a new player to succeed because they won’t know what to build. imo, you shouldn’t be forced to look up what each enemy does in a spreadsheet some other player made. An in game tutorial of what each enemy does with maybe a video would relive so much stress a newer player will have. I’m pretty sure we’ve all heard of a newer player saying something like “there’s these weird blue Orcs coming out of the lane and my flame auras aren’t killing them!” If the player had some way of knowing that these emp Orcs disable ground defences then we wouldn’t have this problem.

Conclusion 

All these ideas are just my opinions that I think will make onslaught more enjoyable for newer players and veterans. I don’t know if others share this opinion, but I don’t want an infinite progression which is what ancient power feels like. I want to hit a max so that I feel like I really achieved something. 50 levels feels like it would take an infinite amount of time to accomplish. I really hope Trendy reads this and responds just to see what they think of these ideas. 

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and got every thing you wanted :)

Best regards,

Sstonne

Have to say, resetting ten times instead of 50 is really a good idea.....

Would really love for the 3 floor thing to start at 65!

And as for number 3, Yeah, we could have a in-game almanac, that way, we could see the icon and and how they looked like too.

Great ideas!

I have a completely different gripe regarding ancient power.  I don't mind the grind at all and like that it rewards ridiculous amounts of play time.  My main complaint is that defense power and defense range are basically the only two talents I care about and their max caps (5% and 2.5% respectively) are basically negligible.

I would like to see the caps on ancient power talents removed completely (so I actually have something to look forward to grinding for besides increased ascension caps) in addition to just automatically giving players 1 point in each talent for every reset so you get all the much less desirable talents along with the ones you actually want. 

Given that the caps were set so low at the start I really don't ever see this happening but it seems like it would be a vast improvement even if it meant lowering each ancient power percentage increase for every reset  Emoji_Kobalt.png

But yeah complaining aside I really like the new mode and the new map other than the completely unnecessary 3 map restart.

@forgot_my_acct_name quote:

I have a completely different gripe regarding ancient power.  I don't mind the grind at all and like that it rewards ridiculous amounts of play time.  My main complaint is that defense power and defense range are basically the only two talents I care about and their max caps (5% and 2.5% respectively) are basically negligible.

I would like to see the caps on ancient power talents removed completely (so I actually have something to look forward to grinding for besides increased ascension caps) in addition to just automatically giving players 1 point in each talent for every reset so you get all the much less desirable talents along with the ones you actually want. 

Given that the caps were set so low at the start I really don't ever see this happening but it seems like it would be a vast improvement even if it meant lowering each ancient power percentage increase for every reset  Emoji_Kobalt.png

But yeah complaining aside I really like the new mode and the new map other than the completely unnecessary 3 map restart.

Have to disagree with that. Even if you get one per talent each reset, the sheer magnitude of grinding would be insane if ancient power were to have no cap and it would certainly turn people away who had only a certain amount of time to play. 

I have to agree with OP's point 3. I have very little idea what the new enemies do and it would be nice to be able to look up what they are and what they do somewhere in game.

@Paloverde zfogshooterz quote:

Have to disagree with that. Even if you get one per talent each reset, the sheer magnitude of grinding would be insane if ancient power were to have no cap and it would certainly turn people away who had only a certain amount of time to play. 

Ideally it would scale logarithmically meaning early ancient power resets give you more of a bonus then it gradually decreases with each reset which would incentivize both casual and hardcore players.  As it stands now I have literally zero desire to reset (5 times or 50 times) if the most desirable benefit is 2.5% defense range.   The only reason I reset the first time is because I assumed floor 114 would be unachievable without resetting.  It's not.

And if you just make it super easy for everyone to achieve exceptional power then that undermines the entire spirit behind a prestige system.  In ascension we already have an easy system that will allow you to roflstomp all endgame content if you have merely 60 ascension and a few good shards.

@Paloverde zfogshooterz quote:

Ideally it would scale logarithmically meaning early ancient power resets give you more of a bonus then it gradually decreases with each reset which would incentivize both casual and hardcore players.  As it stands now I have literally zero desire to reset (5 times or 50 times) if the most desirable benefit is 2.5% defense range.  

I meant the cap's for situations like when more different/special new loot is implemented into the game, and you have to grind good for it, you don't need to worry about the reset stuff once the cap's reached.

Sure, the power could be increased though.

I like your comment on in game tutorial for enemy's. I have been thinking a similar thought.

I think about the Witcher 3 and there beastiary book.

For those unfamiliar with the Witcher the beastiary tells you in depth about the enemy's there weaknesses and strengths and best ways to kill them. It's really a good system trendy should addapt

Overall, good ideas MR. OP of this thread. I will say this:
Campaign kinda tells us what some of the normal enemies do. But,you probably mean the Chaos enemies. Just read the description on each chaos. the part where you can see what maps are in each chaos tier, you can also read about the chaos enemies in that tier.

That said, not all the descriptions are very clear. If Trendy just clarified what the enemies do in these descriptions, that would be enough. People would just need to read. :-)

Personally, I'd also like the caps to go away completely. However, I'd prefer to get 3 points per reset & have the % be more than 1% with each point. Maybe some would find this "too strong" But isn't the point of Ancient powers to be able to get stronger & be super buff? Then to make sure the buff stacking doesn't break the game, Trendy could put a cap on how much buffs can stack with other players.

@rattyflood quote:

I like your comment on in game tutorial for enemy's. I have been thinking a similar thought.

I think about the Witcher 3 and there beastiary book.

For those unfamiliar with the Witcher the beastiary tells you in depth about the enemy's there weaknesses and strengths and best ways to kill them. It's really a good system trendy should addapt

If Trendy wants the new enemies to be a surprise, the details can be revealed the first time you encounter them, like what is done in campaign. After that they should be in the beastiary.

Since trendy just got back from their Christmas break and this thread has been going down the list so they will probably never see it, I’m just gonna bump it once and hopefully you guys will see this and maybe respond with your thoughts. :)

@Sstonne quote:

Since trendy just got back from their Christmas break and this thread has been going down the list so they will probably never see it, I’m just gonna bump it once and hopefully you guys will see this and maybe respond with your thoughts. :)

I saw it the day it was posted :P <3.

We are wanting to make Onslaught the best it can be, and are actively in discussion on how to do that. Feedback like this has spurred a lot of these discussions. The next move is basically figuring out which would be the best step to take forward, and then get to walking :).

@Lawlta quote:

@Sstonne quote:

I saw it the day it was posted :P <3.

We are wanting to make Onslaught the best it can be, and are actively in discussion on how to do that. Feedback like this has spurred a lot of these discussions. The next move is basically figuring out which would be the best step to take forward, and then get to walking :).

Please make it easier for me to ancient power [[166314,users]] 

I started at floor 55 and now all this time later I am at floor 60. And I have played every day. It has been a epic struggle to get to floor 60. 

I know you are concerned about balance of some players already prestiging 6 or more times already. But I really think you need to adjust something here to include more people into the game.