Sobering Realization after Reaching Floor 100

I just reached floor 100 in Onslaught. I was very happy to hit this milestone, until I realized something extremely depressing. I will never Prestige under the current system.

It takes me roughly an hour to complete1 floor. That's assuming I never fail a map, that I never disconnect, that I build extremely quickly and just steamroll everything.

If I prestige now, it will take me 100 hours to return where I am, just in pure floors. This does not include gearing up. This does not include looking for specific drops. This does not include sorting my inventory. Checking equipment. Moving shards to new defenses. Switching to better gear every floor. This does not include re-earning my ascension. 100 hours if I never fail. 100 hours if I never disconnect. 100 hours if I never have a single lapse of judgment that causes me to have to restart.

Yes, I realize that early floors are less maps. Yes, I realize that failure is unlikely before a certain point, and maybe not at all since I would have gained so much experience on the way up. Yes, I realize that you can skip some maps playing through Trials. But 100 hours seems like a fair benchmark, given that failure resets your progress on each floor. That a disconnect can cost you all your progress for a day. Some maps take longer to build. Some people take longer to build. Sometimes I don't want to play Onslaught, and I'll play something else.

If I played 1 hour a day, it would take me more than 3 months to get back to where I am. It would take me an entire season just to return to exactly where I am now. 1 hour a day might not seem like a lot to some players, but 1 hour a day is how much you should practice when you are trying to master a new skill. To learn a new language. To learn an instrument. To become fit. Why? Because every other trade or profession considers 1 hours a day to be a large time commitment.

And what would I gain for this? 61Ascension and 1% power. 1220 Defense Power and Crit, and 1% Defense Power. What does this mean in actual numbers? My flame aura would be roughly 5% Stronger.

If I quit my job and did nothing but play full time, it would take me 2 and a half weeks to get back to where I was and earn 5% power.

Does this seem reasonable to you?

The thing is, I'm really enjoying Onslaught. The game mode is great. I enjoy the puzzle aspect of building around certain challenges. I enjoy maximizing DU to try to compensate for difficult lanes elsewhere. I love when I overestimate my defenses abilities in one or more spots and scramble to recover. But the system built around it is complete off the mark.

What if I made it to 300 and wanted to restart? I'd have to spend 9 months getting back to where I was.

This is ignoring the other problem that if I did Prestige, I would spend the majority of those 100 hours playing content well beneath my level. That I would essentially be playing mindless AFK drudgery without any challenge.

@The Jason Order quote:

I just reached floor 100 in Onslaught. I was very happy to hit this milestone, until I realized something extremely depressing. I will never Prestige under the current system.

It takes me roughly an hour to complete1 floor. That's assuming I never fail a map, that I never disconnect, that I build extremely quickly and just steamroll everything.

If I prestige now, it will take me 100 hours to return where I am, just in pure floors. This does not include gearing up. This does not include looking for specific drops. This does not include sorting my inventory. Checking equipment. Moving shards to new defenses. Switching to better gear every floor. This does not include re-earning my ascension. 100 hours if I never fail. 100 hours if I never disconnect. 100 hours if I never have a single lapse of judgment that causes me to have to restart.

Yes, I realize that early floors are less maps. Yes, I realize that failure is unlikely before a certain point, and maybe not at all since I would have gained so much experience on the way up. Yes, I realize that you can skip some maps playing through Trials. But 100 hours seems like a fair benchmark, given that failure resets your progress on each floor. That a disconnect can cost you all your progress for a day. Some maps take longer to build. Some people take longer to build. Sometimes I don't want to play Onslaught, and I'll play something else.

If I played 1 hour a day, it would take me more than 3 months to get back to where I am. It would take me an entire season just to return to exactly where I am now. 1 hour a day might not seem like a lot to some players, but 1 hour a day is how much you should practice when you are trying to master a new skill. To learn a new language. To learn an instrument. To become fit. Why? Because every other trade or profession considers 1 hours a day to be a large time commitment.

And what would I gain for this? 61Ascension and 1% power. 1220 Defense Power and Crit, and 1% Defense Power. What does this mean in actual numbers? My flame aura would be roughly 5% Stronger.

If I quit my job and did nothing but play full time, it would take me 2 and a half weeks to get back to where I was and earn 5% power.

The thing is, I'm really enjoying Onslaught. The game mode is great. I enjoy the puzzle aspect of building around certain challenges. I enjoy maximizing DU to try to compensate for difficult lanes elsewhere. I love when I overestimate my defenses abilities in one or more spots and scramble to recover. But the system built around it is complete off the mark.

What if I made it to 300 and wanted to restart? I'd have to spend 9 months getting back to where I was.

This is ignoring the other problem that if I did Prestige, I would spend the majority of those 100 hours playing content well beneath my level. That I would essentially be playing mindless AFK drudgery without any challenge.

Congrats on reaching floor 100, and I have to agree with you that the reset system is not worth it, right now atleast.

I was waiting for something like this... i just cant believe that alot of people who really spent some serious hours in this game, will enjoy the new way of progressing in the long run... u did enjoy onslaught and getting as high as possible... but reseting over and over to make actual progress... that must seem tedious to even the most hardcore players at this state... i guess that after u reset u just try to get to Asc. 250 and Floor 65 with the bare necessities... and reset again and again and again and again... till someday... after weeks and months u got maxed out on ancient power and than u can finally level up everything u got (again) and try to beat the highest floor u can get too... its pretty insane tbh.

Im not even at Floor 65 yet... i can barely be "asked", to do it... i need an hour for those 3 maps atm, and im allready sighing, when i reach map 3, the temple... happened 3 or 4 times that i messed it up and i just had to quit the game than... i honestly hope for 1 Floor = 1 Map System and every fifth Floor is the temple... its too much temple atm... lol... i thought i like the onslaught mode... u actually have to think and strategize everytime... but the 3 map system is frustrating and its takes so long to clear... and for c7+ players theres pretty much no rewards, other than the reset... and the reset doesnt seem very appealing tbh... just cant believe its much fun to start new... and than do it again and again... its yeah... i really think this whole reset thing was a very bad idea... how often do u have to reset to get max power? 50 times? who is gonna do that? and who is gonna happily re-upgrade his gear, shards, pets, with just 5 resets?

Sigh... i cant build up any enthusiasm for this game anymore right now.

Just curious, but why would you want to get back to Floor 100 every time?

@Rentard quote:

Just curious, but why would you want to get back to Floor 100 every time?

i believe he would be trying to get even higher so even more hours lol

Well said, good post. Although I'm not at Floor 100, to see your comments proves what I've thought (and posted) since PotA came out and I tried it:

1) Onslaught and the Floor system is a truly great mode, for all the reasons you mention, that's why I love it too

but

2) Resetting is not only pointless due to the little gain earned for the large playtime required, even if the rewards were greater, why bother at all? Why ask players to ditch head-earned gear and ascension, they just won't want to

Besides, you really don't need to. There is no cap on infinity, just let players keep going. If you really don't want to improve shards further than the current c7 level, and Ancient Power is the thing you want to go with, then just award it every X floors, without resetting.

If, using the example above, its 100 hours work to get back to Floor 100 from reset. Lets say that the same 100 hours could get you from 100 to 150 without resetting. Just do that, keep the gear, add AP at specific levels, giving you that extra boost to push even higher, and just keep going.

Yes, the downside is that it may get boring/repetitive, and TE will need to think of ways of keeping it interesting, but surely that's way better than now? Least its not 100 hours of boring right from Floor 100 (in this example). With rare high-floor-only shards, and other similar gear, its easily done imo.

Very nicely written. I´m glad you joined the club of sceptics. I can´t believe you only realized this now, after reaching floor 100. 

I´ve been struggling to keep my interest in the game, after this disastrous update. I love the new map and Onslaught is well designed, but that doesn´t matter, when it all feels pointless and repetitive, and you get penalized for wanting to progress.

Dam you guys are amazing, I level 1,000 and I can't even reach floor 65 let alone 100.  But yes I agree there is not much incentive to reset.
If they changed the xp buff to 50% per reset instead of 5% that may motivate me to do it, but I sure there are better ways to do it then just that.  If anything the xp should increase as you move higher in onslaught, like at floor 100 you should be gaining at least 26mill xp per map.

@mindlessdefender quote:

Dam you guys are amazing, I level 1,000 and I can't even reach floor 65 let alone 100.  But yes I agree there is not much incentive to reset.
If they changed the xp buff to 50% per reset instead of 5% that may motivate me to do it, but I sure there are better ways to do it then just that.  If anything the xp should increase as you move higher in onslaught, like at floor 100 you should be gaining at least 26mill xp per map.

You gotta adapt to the new lanes. Building like you used to won't work.

Ramsters are awesome.

Proton beam any lane you can.(They will need baby sit w/o any upgrade, but past that its a afk lane unless thorc boss spawns in it)

Use frost tower in any lane with no frosty or zerkers. + ofc no immune to slow mutator.

Use Squire defs in lanes with magic resist. Or bees 

Earth shatter is a good friend vs Zerkers

Over build certain lanes and under build others and DPS in it. 
Although I rather advice to build more evenly, though try to build cheap. 

Don't waste DU.

Personally, floor 100 is easier than some mastery maps. It doesn't scale that much.

You just gotta rewire your mind and think differently. 

How cheap can I build this lane?

Should be your first question to come to mind when you look at the enemy spawns.

Edit: Also wanted to ADD.

LOOK at your lanes.

Do mobs die far away from your blockades without any meaningful mutator?

Maybe it's overbuilt, try sell a thing or two.
Then see how it does.

Temple map is all about DU management.

- Build CHEAP.

- Check how that CHEAP built does.
- Learn from it, either your build was TOO CHEAP, perfect or OVER BUILT.

- Don't be afraid for your blockades to take SOME DAMAGE.

Them taking 20-40% damage in a wave is fine. Though at 40% I would personally consider my lane build a fail. 

But sometimes it can't be helped,

a weird lane, bad positions and mutators, it will happen. 

Sometimes you will just get a lane that you NEED to DPS in.

That does not mean you have to be in it 100% of the time.

@The Jason Order quote:

Nice post really agree with what you are saying.  

A sober realization I've come to is that the longer this expansion is out without fixing the issues mentioned above, the harder one group of players are going to get screwed. I see three plausibilities. 

1. TE fixes the onslaught floor system, allowing for saves, restart, or reduced levels per floor...ultimately screwing those working their way up the ladder now through the harder settings.

2. TE fixes the reset and gives more of a benefit to it through various measures...screwing those who are resetting, and struggling through that whole process with pathetic benefits.

3. TE fixes nothing, or does very little...screwing us all.

Granted there are solutions, or perhaps compensation, for groups 1 and 2, but the longer this goes on I get more and more concerned that TE will be less likely to make the drastic changes needed to fix this expansion.

@PandynatorDD quote:

Sometimes you will just get a lane that you NEED to DPS in.

That does not mean you have to be in it 100% of the time.

haven't played dd2 since c4 but that's some good advice. usually this is a melting pt for many. overstaying lanes that needed to be defended upto a point and forgetting about the other lanes

also, good thread by jason

@TheJasonOrder (How do I properly tag you???) On the one hand, it seems many players (Maybe most?) agree that Ancient powers need a buff, which I am a part of that group. 

On the the hand, I think saying 100 hours a going over board. I started from campaign gear Have been able to get up to floor 11 (I don't have alot of time to play) in just a small amount of gameplay time. Floor 1 is the Lost Temple Map and took me less than 20 min. Floor 2 is 2 maps (random) and each takes 10-15 min each. Floor 3 3 maps, 1 of which is the Lost Temple. For sake of argument lets say this floor took me 15, 15, 20 minutes = 50 minutes. Let's say an hour factoring in changing out gear & shards & bag management.

Recap:
Floor1 = 15 min

Floor2 = 30 min

floor 3 = 1 hour

That's 1 hour and 45 minutes for 3 floors. It stays this length of time through floor 11 that I am aware of.  Watching others play, it seems that it stays around that time frame some floors past this, too (not sure how high). So, maybe 75-ish hours to get to floor 100. 

All that said, it's probably a moot point as 75 hours is still a bucket load of time to put into any game. :-P

Going back to the 1st hand, Trendy, do you think you can add Dspeed and Dcrit chance into Ancient Powers (keep all the others you have already) & make it so that we can finally go past the caps on those, but only through Ancient power? That would be sweeeeeeet!! Please and thank you with cookies and cake on top!!!!

Worst part at least for a semi-causal player is that there is no retry a map or that you can log out between maps. Just played 4hours lost both floor (64) at map 3, zero progress no upgrades at all. Most days I maybe only have 1-2 hours to play. This is the first thing they need to fix asap.

@TulkasValar quote:

A sober realization I've come to is that the longer this expansion is out without fixing the issues mentioned above, the harder one group of players are going to get screwed. I see three plausibilities. 

1. TE fixes the onslaught floor system, allowing for saves, restart, or reduced levels per floor...ultimately screwing those working their way up the ladder now through the harder settings.

2. TE fixes the reset and gives more of a benefit to it through various measures...screwing those who are resetting, and struggling through that whole process with pathetic benefits.

3. TE fixes nothing, or does very little...screwing us all.

Granted there are solutions, or perhaps compensation, for groups 1 and 2, but the longer this goes on I get more and more concerned that TE will be less likely to make the drastic changes needed to fix this expansion.

My money is on number 3 there. My guess is they will not change anything. Just minor hotfixs