Sign in to follow this  
tb3

Critical Onslaught suggestions that don't take away intended mechanics!!

TE - I was a huge DD1 fan and was so excited to be able to get access to DD2 on the XBOX this last fall. I may not be the best player or play the most, but on XBOX, I am up there (I know, there aren't anywhere near as many people on XBOX!). I just cleared floor 65 on Onslaught and stopped a couple weeks ago at 576 stars on Mastery (almost all done Solo). I am BEGGING for a couple of simple updates I would like you to consider:

1) My main ask - PLEASE don't make me play all 3 maps per floor back to back in one sitting. I like to come home from work and crank a map out to relax before dinner, take a break to do chores, go help someone in lower levels that wants help, etc. If my goal is floor progression it is pretty much impossible to play with others on XBOX so I am solo and I often take a break to play a lower level, meet people, help people out. I can even live without a replay option on a map (especially if stability is increased). But at least give me a chance to take a break and come back to the next map in the floor. Because I don't want to lose a map and start over, and being solo there is no margin for error, I take MUCH longer to setup on Onslaught (I can't use defense memory like grinding on Trials to setup in <60 seconds). It can take me an hour and 45 minutes to clear a floor. Please let me save my progress and come back!!!!   (I want this more than a map do-over option!) 

2) Resetting gear - I understand many of the reasons you want to do this. BUT, it takes SO long to grind for the perfect combination. Finding the perfect combo of traits on a weapon is SO hard. Even when I was at C7 I probably played 50+ maps just to get the sword I can be most effective at based on my play style. Can you give us a "lock box" that we can stick a limited number of things into that, once we reset, stays "locked" until we get back to C7, floor 55, whatever? I am even happy to reset the upgrades and have to re-invest in upgrades. You could even "monetize" the box. Charge for set numbers of slots that we can "lock" gear into? It is relatively simple and I think it would be a super profitable feature that people would love and you would see SO MUCH resetting with just that feature. I will commit right now to spending real money to buy this feature and I think it doesn't take away from anything you have done or are trying to do. Having a weapon that best fits your playstyle makes the grinding SO much more enjoyable. I may never reset if I can't find a way to keep a particular sword my Dryad uses once I am back to playing C7+ level maps.

3) Easier to play multi-player onslaught - XBOX is bad enough as it is to find games, now it is completely dead. You are killing the game and you need to act fast to fix it (before I and others burn out on solo). The "benefit" of the old gear system (that I hated) was that it was generally okay to let people jump into games well beyond their skill. When you change the gear progression to be based on floors I get how the system breaks if someone wants to play above their floor max. For the sake of the game though, I think you have to do something. Playing mostly solo is a dead end for folks (I will burn out, especially when I know can't even take a break between maps easily to go socialize at lower levels). One way you could address this is to not drop gear based on what floor you are on, but drop gear based on the maximum floor you have beaten in your ordered progression (basically, you could play higher floors by joining games, but they don't "count" in your ordered progression and the gear that drops will always be based on your highest played floor based on ordered progression).

So those are my asks. Very impactful. Monetization options!  Will lead to MORE hours playing and more resets! Simple! NONE of them are designed to change any of the things you were trying to accomplish with the decisions you made on how Onslaught works!!!

Thanks for listening!!!

@tb3 quote:

1) My main ask - PLEASE don't make me play all 3 maps per floor back to back in one sitting. 

I hugely agree with this.

@tb3 quote:

2) Resetting gear - ... Can you give us a "lock box" that we can stick a limited number of things into that, once we reset, stays "locked" until we get back to C7, floor 55, whatever?

This is a great idea!

@tb3 quote:

3) Easier to play multi-player onslaught ... One way you could address this is to not drop gear based on what floor you are on, but drop gear based on the maximum floor you have beaten in your ordered progression (basically, you could play higher floors by joining games, but they don't "count" in your ordered progression and the gear that drops will always be based on your highest played floor based on ordered progression).

I like the idea but would go further: not only let us have gear drop from our current highest floor, but if we beat a floor higher than it with a friend, let our current highest floor go up by one!  After all, we've done something harder (albeit multiplayer), so why not give us the same rewards as if we'd beaten our current floor, which is lower?  This way we could all progress if we are willing to try the hardest map possible, and it could help with the tedium of lower floors (e.g., when we get back up to 55 and have a friend shooting for a high floor, like in the 90s, we could join them and help work towards their progression and our own next reset).  If you want to make it invitation only for the sake of public matches, fine, but I think this would really improve our ability to coordinate and play with each other.

part of the gear reset was relazing I didnt need the best perfect rolls to easily get back up to floor 65 after prestiging. 

Deciding to prestige is commiting to a long grind, and its one you shouldnt do until you have a minimum 1k acension, really probably closer to 2k. the ancension grind back to 250 is worse then 55-65 (which can be done for ~ 100 ascension).

Unfortunatly the gear resets and everything have to stay, too many have prestiged at this point and lost it all. they arent going to replace my 50 characters that were fully geared, or my 60+ pets that were max level.

After you prestige and grind back up to c7 you need to play a minimum of 9 trials c7 maps to unlock floor 55. on top of that you need to grind back up to 250 ascension. All of your builders and dps you use will be geared back up during this.

On the other points..I agree. Allow replays, allow breaks on floors.. allow peoplr to group and get rid of this gating its limiting the game.

Yea being forced to play 3/3 maps in one sitting is a pain in the rear end. I would like to go to the tavern and sell, and test stuff out. 

That IS a great idea.  Or maybe like Kingdom on Loathing does...it all goes into storage, and once a day you can pull out a limited number (1? 2?) per day to use.  Don't long on one day, then you missed your pull for that day.

@lekkin007 quote:

@tb3 quote:

2) Resetting gear - ... Can you give us a "lock box" that we can stick a limited number of things into that, once we reset, stays "locked" until we get back to C7, floor 55, whatever?

This is a great idea!