Sign in to follow this  
The Jason Order

Preliminary Onslaught Tier List after beating Floor 92

Onslaught has been out for just under a week, and it brought many changes to the game. As such, it's time to update the old tier list. I just managed to reach floor 92, unlocking the second of the new Onslaught-exclusive flairs. Note that this evaluation is for floors 55-92, and certain defenses may be better or worse on earlier floors. A clear example is Lightning Strikes, which lacks the speed early onto be very useful, but becomes a top choice at Chaos 7 gear levels.

This isn't going to be as in depth as the previous post just yet, since there is a lot to write about - which defenses are good versus what mutators and schedules, etc. It might be easier to write a basic Onslaught building guide instead.

I'm just going to do a quick breakdown of what I've been using often, occasionally, very rarely, and never at all.

Frequently Used:

• Flame Aura: PT, Range, DCD
  • Lightning Strikes: PT, Rate, DCD
  • Skyguard: Mass, Destruction, Range
  • Earthshatter: PT, Earth Toss, DCD
  • Frost Tower: Range, Hyper Range, Slow
  • Ballista: PT, Splody, Power Bolts
  • Reflect Beam
  • Ramster: PT, VE, Range (DCD is more damage but VE is smoother damage on chain normals, since Rams are usually just for Goblins, VE also scales better with upgrades, sometimes you are forced to upgrade Rams 1-2 times).
  • Obelisk: VE, Empowering Blasphemy, Serpent God's/Obelisk Shield

Occasionally Used:

• Hornet's Nest: Spellbreaker with Geode or Vanguard.
  • Poison Dart Tower: Controlled Burn
  • Explosive Trap: Spellbreaker with Geode or Vanguard and lots of enemies
  • Cannon: certain air lanes with Spellbreaker, some Controlled Burn, some Spellbreaker
  • Sand Viper: certain air lanes with Armored or Bullet Sponge
  • Oil Geyser: Controlled Burn

Very Rarely Used:

• Proton Beams: Controlled Burn immune to stuns.
  • Slime: Controlled Burn with Geodes and Cyborks and no other trouble lanes I need to hold with Hero DPS.
  • Hailstorm: Controlled Burn Air lanes that can't be hit easily by PDT.
  • Sand Trap: some Controlled Burn

Never Used:

• Geyser
  • Flamethrower: other AoE options are usually better and/or safer
  • Boost Aura
  • Buff Beam
  • Blaze Balloon
  • Weapon Manufacturer: other AoE options are cheaper
  • Nimbus: Not reliable targeting
  • Skeletal Archer: Probably good in some cases, but hard to bring out its potential
  • Volcano
  • Serpent's Coil
  • Harpy
  • Fissure: I prefer Flame Aura's higher attack rate.

@ndesse1 quote:

I never had a use for ballista, Can you elaborate why you rate that so high?

The Ballista is indeed a very surprising defense on this list. I've seen many people use it though, that tower is absolutely incredible, or so I've heard. Personally haven't had a chance to test it yet, but you could give it a try with Power Transfer, Splody Harpoon and Power Bolts if you want to see its power. I hope that's the meta strat that people use anyway, maybe I'm mistaken. Someone clear this up a bit, please?

Additionally, I don't quite see why Proton Beams are rated that low. They truly save the day in a lot of situations, espacially with Phased lanes with Berserker Orcs but no Cyborks.

[[20084,users]] It's one of the strongest defenses in the game at the moment. It's incredibly strong because it can deal with all 3 enemy types : small, medium and large. It suffers a bit with too many small enemies, and with too few large ones, but it fulfills a very strong role of just a ton of extra damage in a lane. It's hard countered by Guard and Geode, but any lane without those two, guaranteed Ballista is a viable option at worst, and the very best option at best.

Two Ballistas and a Frost tower is my go to lane versus a lot of schedule and mutators.

[[172455,users]] Yeah, that's the current shard setup. The logic is that crit scaling + multiple crit rolls = good consistent damage and high burst potential.

As for Phased, it's usually one of the easiest mutators. It can cause a lot of problems, but most lanes can easily be done for way less than 200 DU. A "normal" phased lane you can do with 1 Frost Tower, 1 Flame Aura and 1 Earth Shatter. If there's Cyborks, you can use 1 Frost Tower, 1 EarthShatter and 1 Ram. They move slower, and thus barely move at all under Frost Tower, giving lots of time for your 1 AoE tower to kill all small enemies, and your 1 single target tower to kill all large targets. Are you just using 120 DU or less of proton for phased? If so I'll consider it.

I used 40 DU worth of Proton Beams in total, but I think I overkilled the lane in that example anyway with a PDT, 2 Flame Auras, 1 Frosty, 2 Oil Geysers and a Sand Trap. After all, I never had to pay attention to that lane. But really it's the Berserkers that scare me to death on Phased lanes, how does one deal with those?

Huh, interesting. What build do you use on Earthshatters then?

Also that brings me the idea that you could potentially include some of the builds for the defenses that you used. That could be helpful, I think.

@The Jason Order quote:

Are you just using 120 DU or less of proton for phased? If so I'll consider it. 

I'm doing it with less than 120 DU.  It can cover the lane by itself if you build parallel for lanes that are wider and upgrade it (assuming medallion + power transfer) for damage.  It's even great against the Cursi-Kaze mutator because it doesn't have any range to begin with.  It's also another option for the Proximity mutator, since you're keeping the enemies in it longer with slow/freeze (used it for Game Ogre lane with proximity and could leave it alone).

Are you rating the dryad defenses with or without corrupt form?  I'm curious if others are having success using dryad defenses without it.  

Using Dryad defences without corruption form is like shooting yourself in the knee (more 50% damage or only 66% damage, depending on your viewpoint).

@TheJasonOrder

Thanks, I'll try out a little different setup. I was running 1-2 Ramsters with Hornets, Skyguards and Reflects.

I went away from auras dues to these ice goblin and a lot of Cyborks but I should really give them a try they were always powerful and still are.

Ah, by build I meant stuff like Shards and stuff rather than the placement, but that is fine too :)

[[172455,users]] I put up the frequently used ones. But really, it's usually just whatever deals the most damage + Range/CC.

[[175401,users]] Interesting. I tried out Protons a few more times. I still think Earth + Flame is better and safer, but I can see its potential. Also, Cursi-Kazi is bugged - it should be decreasing speed, not increasing it.

Protons can be super useful for phased too, especially in the new giant map.  They are less useful first wave, since you really want to upgrade them twice or three times before you forget about the lane, but on any of the lanes that open up after the first wave you usually have the extra mana to spend, and you don't even need a full lane of protons (I usually put all 110 there because I'm paranoid, but the mana from the lane is always only in the first 3-6 nodes worth of beams).  This is with PT + Frosty + Crit damage.  I've seen them get over 10 million dps with the hilarious cursi-kazi bug too.

What kind of lanes do you use ballistas on ? I've experimented with them some, but I'd typically want to use them against frosties or cyborks, and it seems like 80%+ of the time the cybork lane has vanguards as well.

It's also super annoying to have a built-up ballista lane on wave 4 that you have to rebuild from scratch because geode prime or the bastille master spawns in it.

Are you using them as a fallback to not have to use dryad maybe ? On a non-cybork lane, 2 ballista don't seem to outperform a slime and 3 bees, or 2 bees and 2 slimes depending on the amount of aoe needed.