Sign in to follow this  
RustyCounterweight

The Impossible Lanes and some other stuff....

This post is divided into two sections.   The first section discusses certain spawning patterns on the new Lost Temple map that CAN (but does not always) result in an automatic loss of the map.   The second section is a discussion of how the Power of the Ancients update has affected and will likely affect how I play the game.

Please note that this post is intended to be both input for the developers to consider and for some of the more frustrated players to see a more neutral perspective on the changes.

Section 1: The Impossible Lanes

One theme that many other players that I have encountered after the Power of the Ancients update is that Onslaught is too hard.  Well, Onslaught is not hard at all.  In fact, I’m confident that after reading this post that the more distraught players will understand that the difficulty is mostly unchanged from what it was before the update.   What makes it appear to be hard is the large amount of RNG on the new Lost Temple Map tend to result result in one or two lanes being impossible to beat.   What follows is a description of the“Impossible Lane” combinations that I have encountered multiple times (Note: I believe that there are a few more but I have not encountered them enough to warrant adding to this post).

A:  The Controlled Burn Problem [Variant 1]

If you have not encountered the Controlled Burn Mutator, what is does is make it so that “Enemies can only be damaged while drenched, oiled, frozen, poisoned, or stunned”.   In most situations, this Mutator would be balanced and can easily be countered with the use of the following towers and shards (or similar hero power);

• Geyser trap, Oil Geyser, Snaking Sands, Oily Harpoon, Rain of Oil, Water elemental, Onsen Bath, Thunderstruck,Sharpened spikes, Stun Fire, Volcanic Shock, Empowered Frostbite, Frosty Beams, Icefall, explosive poison, Storm Rider, Drenching Broomnado, Drenching Strikes,Taser Suit, Concussive Chi, Concussive Shock, Constrictor, Overwhelm, Bolts of Oil, Freeze Buster (and any other applicable shards that I failed to list).

By now you are probably wondering something along the lines of “if you can counter the Mutaror in so many ways, then where is this so-called problem?”   You see, the problem tends to occur on the new Lost Temple Map when either 1) a single spawn location is spawning two different Enemy Schedules or 2) two different lanes, with different Schedules,merge into one lane.  

In those situations, if one lane has a Schedule with Cyborks and the other lane has a Schedule containing the controlled Burn Mutator, then you end up with the Controlled Burn Problem.   Specifically, the Cyborks are a Hard counter to any traps or node based defense, which means that your options to deal with the wave are limited to either a PDT, a frost tower with a shard to freeze enemies,or your hero DPS with an RNG change to drench/oil/stun.  

In a perfect world, one of the aforementioned solutions might work and you can effectively counter the controlled Burn Mutator.   BUT, generally happens in Lost Temple is as follows; First, PDT and Frost towers target the enemies that do not have the Controlled Burn Mutator, resulting in a number of enemies beyond any AOE tower’s target cap and eventual destruction of your barricades and towers.   Second, even if you do use a hero shard to try to apply the needed debuffs, Melee heroes need to eventually heal and you lose the tower while doing that and ranged heroes run into the same issues as the PDT and Frost towers.

The end result, is a guaranteed loss, the appearance of an extremely “Hard” difficulty and a lot of frustration for losing and having to replay the 40 or more minutes you spent getting to the map.

B: Controlled Burn [Variant 2]

You can also run into a second version of the Controlled Burn problem when you have Geodes spawn in one of the lanes with the result being Cyborks, Geodes and a Controlled Burn Mutator lane.   This type of lane can be even harder to deal with then the situation mentioned above.

C: The Wall Leech Problem

This is an issue that might occur more in a single player game, but might be an issue in games with more than one player.   First of all, Wall Leech is a Mutator that makes it so that “Enemies recover health while damaging towers”.   The problem that occurs with it is that if a Boss mob spawns with the Wall Leech Mutator, the boss becomes IMPOSSIBLE to kill while it is attacking your barricades or towers.   I have personally run into this problem with Ogres, Siege tanks and Giblok.  To be clear, under many circumstances it is possible to kill the boss before it gets to your barricades or towers.  But with the Lost Temple map and some Sewers Maps, the length of the lane that the boss enemy spawns in is too short to deal with it fast enough and you are forced to either let your barricades and towers be destroyed or sell them, followed by a frantic attempt to kill a full health boss that is likely right next to your core.

The end result, is a guaranteed loss, the appearance of an extremely “Hard” difficulty and a lot of frustration for losing and having to replay the 40 or more minutes you spent getting to the map.

D: The Cybork and Hex Thrower Problem

On the Lost Temple map, I have found it to be almost guaranteed that at least half of the lanes are filled with Cyborks and Hex Throwers.   For the most part, it is possible to counter this type of Schedule with the use of tower-type defenses and a Reflect Beam.

Unfortunately,the random-nature of the Lost Temple map often leads to one or more of this type of Schedule either spawning in almost every lane or spawning in an extremely short lane.   I will discuss both situations in turn.  

First, If this type of Schedule occurs in excess then it causes players to spend a lot of Defense Units (hereinafter “DU”) on building reflect beams.  The result is that not enough DU can be dedicated on towers focused on clearing small units or dealing high damage to the Cyborks.   In may instances, this can be resolved with running around the map to each affected lane and dealing with the problem via hero damage.   Unfortunately, Lost Temple is such a large map that playing it with less then 4 people makes the aforementioned solution nearly impossible (and I’m not even blaming the Dark Assassins which do actually contribute to this problem).

Second, the Cybork - Hex Thrower Schedule can sometimes spawn in a really short lane.   I that first sentence isn’t enough to explain the problem, here is a more detailed explanation.   In a short lane, it doesn’t take Cyborks long to reach your barricades of the Reflect Beam that is protecting them from the Hex Throwers.   If you compound the short distance with the number of lanes that this Schedule tends to appear in, then you also have your DU stretched thin.  The ultimate result is that the Cyborks make it to your barricades, stun the Reflect Beam and cause the Hex Throwers to curse you barricades.   As any C6 or higher player should know, a cursed barricade is no barricade at all (in other words, they Blow up really fast).

As I mentioned before, there are some more Schedules and Spawn combinations that might be worthy of assign to“The list of Impossible Lanes”, but I honestly have not encountered them enough to feel comfortable with including them.   Also, I feel that this is appropriate time to reiterate that I believe that the current difficulty is NOT too “Hard” and that the appearance of difficulty is a result of the aforementioned types of situations that are likely the  UNINTENTIONALLY result of the amount of RNG associated with the Lost Temple map.

Section 2: The effect of Mutators, Schedules and the Partial-Reset

Mutators

I have only had the time, and patience, to reach Onslaught floor 60 and the Mutators that I can comment on are limited to the ones available to that point.   For anyone reading that doesn’t know what Mutators are available up to Floor 60, I am including the following list separately from my overall discussion;

• Phased, Longshot, Unstoppable,Brittle, Proximity, Lethargic, Maximum Effort, Soft Spot, Wall Leech, Pile iton, Abominable, Power Block, Enraged, Headstrong, Armored, Cursi-Kazi, Bullet Sponge, Spell Breaker, Controlled Burn, Vampiric, Detonator.

Unlike the previous section, this section consists of my impression of Mutators, Schedules and the effects that the Partial-Reset feature will have on how I play the game.   In other words, this section is completely my opinion and it is likely that the opinion of anyone reading this might be different (so please don’t post rage-based responses just because my experience with the game is different than yours).  

With that said, let’s start with Mutators.   In order to properly express how Mutators have effected my game-play, I need to set them into the following three categories; A) Does Nothing, B) Does Something, and C) What!?.  

“Does Nothing” Mutators

Even though the Mutators listed in this section have some sort of effect on gameplay, I have found that they have absolutely no bearing on how I build a lane.   The list includes;

• Phased, Long Shot, Unstoppable,Brittle, Proximity, Lethargic, Maximum Effort, soft Spot, Pile it On,Abominable, Power Block, Enraged, Headstrong, Bullet Sponge, Spell Breaker,Detonator, Armored

This section warrants little discussion, the Mutators are simply so insignificant in comparison to the plethora of Cybork + Hex thrower lanes that even if I wanted to make use of the favorable Mutators or build to counter the unfavorable Mutators, I just don’t have the DU or the functional options to stray far from the build that I use to counter the Cyborks and Hex throwers. 

"Does something" Mutators

The Mutators listed in this section can have a slight effect on how I build a lane, but that effect is generally negligible for the same reason that the “Does Nothing” category exists.   The Mutators in this category include;

•                 WallLeech, Cursi-Kazi, Controlled Burn, Vampiric

If you didn’t skip the first half of my post, then you already know most of the reasons that Wall Leech and Controlled Burn are included in this section and I won’t be repeating those specific reasons again.

1. Wall-Leech and Vampiric;   This Mutator sometimes causes be to build defenses farther away from the spawn.  Unfortunately, the limited nature of DU usually overcomes the need to include more barricades in a lane when moving the location of my defenses.   As a result, this Mutator can mostly be ignored with the exception of checking for an Impossible Lane situation.
  2. Controlled Burn;   This mostly just results in me reserving 40DU for a PDT or two for the affected lane
  3. Cursi-Kazi;  This generally results in me not using auras, traps, or nodes.   In other words, it is effectively another Cybork lane.   [I can’t figure out if the fact that the curse stacks with it self is intended or not, but seeing a max range aura have an area of effect that is so small that a squire can’t even put both feet inside the aura]

“What!?”

This section slightly overlaps with the “Does Nothing” section because I can’t figure out what the Mutators actually do in spite of their descriptions.   This group includes;

•                                 Soft spot, Bullet Sponge

Schedules

Now for a slight discussion about Schedules.   For the most part, the random Schedules in Onslaught do actually make the levels more interesting but there is a slight problem that I encounter regularly.   The problem is that Cyborks and Hex throwers almost ALWAYS spawn in almost EVERY lane.  To be clear, my problem has nothing to do with dealing with them (aside from the previously discussed issues) the problem is that their frequent occurrence forces me to use one, and only one, setup.    The effect is that I not only have to use a build that I find to be boring but I also lost the ability to take advantage of the towers that every hero has to offer.  More specifically, I lost the ability to say “I feel like building dryad today” or “Lavamancer might be fun on this map”.

In order to explain my position better, I have to provide a slight explanation of what I found to be the most effective way to approach dealing with which towers to use.   (if you are a new player then you might find the following section to be useful).

When dealing with enemies, you can use a general rule to cover almost any situation.   That rule is as follows; “For small mobs Area of Effect works best, and One single-target tower can clear the rest”.   Any other tower falls under the “situational”category.  

For those of you who don’t understand my rhyme, what it means is that you can almost always clear ANY lane if you use a combination of one AOE tower and one single target but high damage tower.   Any tower not in either of those categories is purely situational.

Area of Effect towers include:  

• Flame Aura, Explosive Trap, Blaze Balloon, Skeletal Ramster, Weapon Manufacturer Node, Proton Beam, Fissure of Embermount, Moss Hornets (this one is a slight exception), Flame Thrower

Single Target towers include:  

• Earthshatter, Cannon Ball, Lightning Strikes Aura, Angry Nimbus, Sand Viper

Situational Towers include:  

• Everything else

Now, with the above categorization in mind, any combination of AOE tower and single target tower will generally result in you easily wining any lane in any difficulty of Trials or Onslaught that you have the proper gear for.   You of course have the situational towers,such as the Reflect beam, which you only need to deal with specific enemy types.

Since most of the Schedules that I encounter in onslaught spawn with Cyborks or Cyborks + Hex Throwers, my options for building towers become limited.   With keeping the above categories in mind, my only PRACTICAL options to counter the Cybork stuns are;

• Skeletal Ramster, Earthshatter, Cannon Ball.  

This means that my only viable options for an AOE damage tower is a Ramster and the only viable single-target tower option is either a cannon ball tower or an earth shatter.   Since the DU limit is tight in Lost Temple,the Earthshatter tower is not an option s a defense since its DU cost is too high.   The end result is that I almost always have to build with Ramster and Cannon Ball towers.   Also, the constant and generous spawning of Hex throwers always requires a reflect beam, which tightens a player’s available DU even more.   When almost very lanes pawns Cyborks and Hex throwers, it can be impossible to properly build every lane or even most of the lanes with the amount of DU that is provided.   

In any event, my main point is that it gets to be extremely boring when the game forces such a small number of viable builds.   To be clear, I am NOT advocating that any of the above-mentioned enemies should be removed at all.   I am merely pointing out that the current state of how they spawn is severely limiting on the ways that I can build and that,at least for me personally, it eliminates some of the fun that I use to attribute to the game.

The Partial-Reset for Ascension Points

My take on the Partial-Reset is that nothing has changed.   For anyone who just gasped, let me explain.  

First of all, the gear reset is negligible.   Any C7 player that spends a few minutes thinking about the current state of the game mechanics can figure that that re-obtaining C7 gear would take no more than 2 to 5 days of play time or,stated differently, about 4-12 hours of game-play depending on how efficient you are and how much free time you have.   For those of you who have not figured out how to get your gear back in that time frame, I’m not going to spoil it for you now :P

Second, resetting ascension is painful,but not for the reasons that most players might think.   Being one of those people who is close to1000 ascension, I have come to understand that the main thing that ascension does for a player is to remove the headache of having to have 2 or more of the same hero in order to min/max your ascension point benefits.   For anyone reading who doesn’t understand what it is that I’m talking about, I’ll explain.  The simple truth is that your ascension points eventually cap and all of those extra points can be placed into ascension skills that benefit a different stat.   For example, if I wanted to build the best possible flame auras and the best possible lightning strike auras that I could, the current system pushes my toward making two monks.   One monk has all of it’s ascension points placed into the skills that benefit flame auras and the other monk does the save for lighting strike auras.   But,when I acquire enough ascension points I can fill up the lighting strike aura and flame aura ascension skills on the same monk!    The result is that I can build faster and don’t have to swap heroes out in my deck constantly.  So, what I am trying to say is twofold.  First, the ascension reset rally doesn’t matter a whole lot because that eventual +5% buff that you get for each stat will eventually account for the lack the relatively minor boost that ascension provides.   Second, I don’t actually understand why ascension is being reset since the only real late game bonus is that I no longer have to use 2+ of the same hero in order to maximize my use of ascension points.   At the end of the day, I find that the reset has little to no effect and only causes an unaddressed inconvenience to be slightly more prevalent.

Finally, the requirement to grind ascension levels and then give them up for ancient power doesn’t do anything more then make me grind ascension levels.   Since the late game of DD2 has been grinding ascension levels, it just going to be more ofthe same.   Which means, that we have the same thing to do that we have been doing with the slight gimmick of a minor goal to accomplish in obtaining ancient power.

Anyway, that covers all of my thoughts on the Power of the Ancients update.   Hopefully anyone who had the patience to read the entire thing found it useful.

I'm one of the furthest players in Onslaught, and I really disagree with a lot of your points.

• You can deal with Controlled burn with options safe from Geodes and Cyborks. Dryad Slime is an easy option, but you can also combine others. Cyborks do not disable traps 100% of the time. In a lane with Cyborks, you will still have some up time on most traps. Only 1-2 Geodes spawn per lane. You can still use PDT in Geode lanes. Just combine a PDT and a trap source or two, and you should still be able to clear the lane. It's still one of the more difficuly lanes, but it's far from impossible. It just usually requires more than 200 DU. Lanes are split into "easy" and "hard" each requiring different amounts of DU. Just spend more DU in these lanes.
  • If Wall Leech is a problem, your Hero DPS must be very low. Even on floor 80 bosses only heal for 1 million per second. They don't prevent defenses from doing damage, and you can use crowd control to stop them. Worst case, sell your wall then kill them.
  • Hex Throwers are by far the easiest Chaos enemy, because for 30 DU, they do nothing. Ever. This means you save a ton of DU every Hex lane. Granted, on some lanes they can hit your core from spawn, and you need to build around them, and Hex / Cy can be a problem occasionally in short lanes, I agree.
  • Hex and Cybork lanes are also relatively easy, since that means no other difficult enemy is in it. This means you can very cheaply clear a lane like this. 90 DU can hold most of these lanes!
  • There exist options that clear out AoE large targets! Ballista is a great choice here.
  • You mention that Earthshatter can't be used. I literally use them every game. They can solo a lot of lane schedules, or if combined with AoE can deal with all difficulty enemies.
  • Some of your "do nothing" mutators are insanely difficult. You just vastly overgear the current content and are not being punished for building inefficiently. Frost Proximity? Have fun dealing half damage. Geode Guard Long Shot? Same deal. Combine these with Spell Breaker and Armored, and sometimes you simply can't beat these lanes without a ton of DU.
  • Detonator can be really mean in some lanes.
  • Immune to stun assassins are likewise difficult, when they start dealing serious damage. Even more so when they can't be hit by spells either.
  • Bullet Sponge prevents all damage from projectiles until you hit them with any other damage source. Very tough on some air lanes.
  • Soft spot makes no difference for defenses, just player damage.
  • Frost is by far the most difficult schedule. It limits defenses and adds a ton of HP to small enemies.

Lost Temple rewards you with clever building. A lot of mutator / schedule combos can be dealt with for less than 200DU, giving you a lot of extra DU to work with in more difficult lanes.

As soon as you get some upgrades down, you can sell some of your other towers and move them to problem lanes.

I'm sure I'm not even close to playing at peak efficiency and as the game progresses and people come up with cleaner lane solutions, players will be able to push to much higher floors with the same gear as we have now.

I thought Trendy mentioned something about impossible combos are set to not happen, but they probably missed a few.

@The Jason Order quote:

I'm one of the furthest players in Onslaught, and I really disagree with a lot of your points.

• You can deal with Controlled burn with options safe from Geodes and Cyborks. Dryad Slime is an easy option, but you can also combine others. Cyborks do not disable traps 100% of the time. In a lane with Cyborks, you will still have some up time on most traps. Only 1-2 Geodes spawn per lane. You can still use PDT in Geode lanes. Just combine a PDT and a trap source or two, and you should still be able to clear the lane. It's still one of the more difficuly lanes, but it's far from impossible. It just usually requires more than 200 DU. Lanes are split into "easy" and "hard" each requiring different amounts of DU. Just spend more DU in these lanes.

Harpy and World Tree are the only Dryad buildings that are not classified as traps. My slimes are ALWAYS disabled by cyborks, as are my hornets and nimbi...nimbuses?  Sure, slapping Deadly Strikes on a slime pit and placing it somewhere that the cyborks are unlikely to target it is an option, but then you vastly decrease the effective DPS of the trap by reducing the frequency of slime spawn due to travel time and the 3 slimes per pit at a time cap.

This post is exceptional, and it addresses a lot of the issues with Onslaught mode as it launched. You provided a deep look, an objective one, and I know they will take this to heart. As what you said above is nigh-infallible. This mode has a great foundation, but it really needs work. And it will get it. I have faith. They poured a lot of heart and soul into this update, and I know they want to get it right.

[[19141,users]]  , you should play around with Cyborks in Chaos 2. You can easily place things quite close to them as long as they are out of line of sight (on short ledges, in adjacent lanes, etc. )

my biggest problem is frost and the amount of health that have. its either i have enough tower dps to deal with them or i stay in that lane. if 2 happen to spawn, its over. combine that with control burn..... yea, i give up at that point.  

one last thing....i'm sick of dealing with cybork. they're in every freaking lane.  

@The Jason Order quote:
  • If Wall Leech is a problem, your Hero DPS must be very low. Even on floor 80 bosses only heal for 1 million per second. They don't prevent defenses from doing damage, and you can use crowd control to stop them. Worst case, sell your wall then kill them.

Just wanna correct this one. I´ve seen Bastille master heal for 8mill each hit, and was stalemate with towers so hero dps was needed, to tip the favor. If I had been elsewhere on the map, or if BM wasn´t alone at the time, pounding on my walls, I might have had a problem.

@MaJean quote:

@The Jason Order quote:

Just wanna correct this one. I´ve seen Bastille master heal for 8mill each hit, and was stalemate with towers so hero dps was needed, to tip the favor. If I had been elsewhere on the map, or if BM wasn´t alone at the time, pounding on my walls, I might have had a problem.

Bastille Master is pretty much meant to screw you over if you miss to kill her quick, iam not sure if shes healing that much just because shes reflecting damage or if she actually does that much damage, probably the first though unless you're in super high floors already.

Hex Throwers are by far the easiest Chaos enemy, because for 30 DU, they do nothing. Ever. This means you save a ton of DU every Hex lane. 

How?

@bfgeleven quote:

Hex Throwers are by far the easiest Chaos enemy, because for 30 DU, they do nothing. Ever. This means you save a ton of DU every Hex lane. Granted, on some lanes they can hit your core from spawn, and you need to build around them, and Hex / Cy can be a problem occasionally in short lanes, I agree.

How?

I´m guessing he´s talking about reflect beam.

@bfgeleven quote:

Hex Throwers are by far the easiest Chaos enemy, because for 30 DU, they do nothing. Ever. This means you save a ton of DU every Hex lane. 

How?

Easy IF you have EV2 reflect beam. Not everyone has that though.

[[20025,users]] , while true, you have plenty of time to grab EV2 between Floor 1 and Floor 50ish.

EV2 should really be your first purchase, with AL or Dryad coming up next. And then maybe Mystic.

I take large issue with bosses on Geode waves with Controlled Burn. Malthius completely ignored the rig and timed out, Griblok destroyed the walls, was Provoked through the rig and timed out, Thorc was protected from PDT by Geodes, destroyed the walls again and walked into a wall until he timed out, the only one I killed was Tuskar, because I knew there wouldn't be any draw back to placing PDT in the middle of the lane after the Geodes died, and this is at 15 million odd HP, and my relics are 11k at best. I would also complain about healing bosses because they heal absolutely every bit of damage I do via tower or ability or Hero, but that might more be on me not having good enough gear, but enough luck to time them to death as well

@The Jason Order quote:

so every once in a while i find a quote from someone that proves trendy has me playing on a different patch to mess with me. on floor 57 the wall leech bosses i get heal for 40 million per second. i wanted to go into detail about how onslaught actually works, but people are hell bent on avoiding reality so it feels like kind of a waste

@wargumby quote:

@The Jason Order quote:

so every once in a while i find a quote from someone that proves trendy has me playing on a different patch to mess with me. on floor 57 the wall leech bosses i get heal for 40 million per second. i wanted to go into detail about how onslaught actually works, but people are hell bent on avoiding reality so it feels like kind of a waste

i have seen a boss completely heal itself with each hit. the only way we took it down was with 4 players all firing on it, and using stun to keep it from attacking the wall. Luckily it was a lower floor so we got it eventually. 

@Jaws_420 quote:

@wargumby quote:

@The Jason Order quote:

i have seen a boss completely heal itself with each hit. the only way we took it down was with 4 players all firing on it, and using stun to keep it from attacking the wall. Luckily it was a lower floor so we got it eventually. 

Wall leech hasn't been much of an issue for me .  Gunwitch for the win.  Book, net, and scatter. 

@Lagmonster quote:

Wall leech hasn't been much of an issue for me .  Gunwitch for the win.  Book, net, and scatter. 

Can the GW turn a boss into a book? I don't have that hero yet. Saving it for last as i want all unique towers first. 

Leach is usually not an issue. I usually pay it little mind on most schedules. The above reference i spoke of was on a current map level for me with 3 other players, and the level did not end so we went looking and found this super-healing enraged boss at a blockade. Never seen that before. Blockade was from another player with tons of levels ahead of me. Maybe that is part of it - maybe the amount of health it gets is a % of the health of the tower, not the boss. Since a higher level player put it down (with way more health than a blockade on that floor would normally have), it gave it super healing??? IDK

We shot and shot, and he would just swipe once and fully heal. Was so lame. I did not build the wall, so i could not sell it. Only thing to do was use my stun ability, and hope the other players timed theirs with mine. Wasn't hard so much as annoying because it was a stalemate for far too much of that encounter. 

@Jaws_420 quote:

@Lagmonster quote:

Can the GW turn a boss into a book? I don't have that hero yet. Saving it for last as i want all unique towers first. 

Yeah, she can. It's quite cool. Not sure on the Siege Roller though. But I did saw gunwitches turn ogres, Gribloks, Quiblies, Tuskars or Malthuis into a big book.

Wall leech is certainly really annoying - you hit a boss, get its health down by half, and the health immediately runs back up to full, time and time again.  It happened in Syphon Site D for me this morning, for example, close to the secondary objective, which does indeed have a rather short lane in front of it.  Sounds as if my gunwitch should have been using a tornado rather than the freezy #3 skill...