Sign in to follow this  
Jojozityjo

So Onslaught Update sounds disastrous...

So, from what I read of the update notes, onslaught sounds ... massively heart breaking honestly.

So from what I understand, we dont get to pick maps anymore, again, so, trendy really doesnt want their players to have any choice in how they play the game. Not to mention the long stench that is hard-counters on top of that. I feel like .. "oh i spent money or worked my butt off to buy/earn this new hero, but wait, i can never use their defenses cause hard-counters render them useless"

And this, reset thing? From what I understand in reading the note, whenever you, "reset" your ascension, you go back to some, minimum ascension, which, sounds like it's stupidly low, like, honestly sounds like you could go from 500+ ascension, back to like, 15, which, sounds horribly un worth it to me. But the kicker, we go back to chaos 1 gear? So, wait, all those countless hours of trying to FINALLY get all our heroes geared up and ready to go, going through painful, god awefully painful grinding to do so, and it was all for nothing? You're making us have to go back through that god aweful grind again?

This is what i understood from it anyway, who knows, i could be wrong, but, from the sounds of it, i dont even wanna risk trying, hell this sounds like the update that will finally make me drop the game and regret ever putting money into it. This isnt dungeon defenders anymore, this isnt the trendy I knew. These feel like imposters to me.

I cant even fathom who in their right mind would enjoy this kind of game mechanic in a game like this, unless the people are masochists and love to torment themselves. Which, no judgement, if this is a game for masochists, then, okay, cool, glad you guys have a game, but, im not one, so, id have to opt out.

i just ..huhh .. im just heartbroken really, had such high hopes for this game, it was such a great and fun game, and there was good updates going in the right direction too, but, this ...huhh .. i think im finally out with this one, given up. I want to still enjoy it, for what it was, for what it coulda been, maybe even still could be, but ...i just .. i just cant support what im seeing this game become. Dont know if i can bare hanging in there for what could be, any longer.

Im gonna miss the amazingness that this game was.

Yup, on paper it sounds terrible and Trendy have no clue what an end game is if you need to repeat grinding over and over through the chaos levels. Which wasn't Challenging or fun the first time around due to picking up blue items and working out if the item is better or not to progress.

Because you know the ipwr is invisible now and stays that way for some unknown reason.

The biggest issue I have is that your shards reset, that's a lot of gold lost with no real way to supplement the loss besides you guessed it more grinding. Not to mention the ascension reset. Ancient power has to be god like to compensate for this,

This Onslaught sounds like it's more padding then anything challenging and fun in the long run tbh. You are just reusing the same assets of the boring ass chaos level grind.

I will give it a fair shot and try it out eventually, but I'm really in no rush to do so. 

@Jojozityjo quote:

And this, reset thing? From what I understand in reading the note, whenever you, "reset" your ascension, you go back to some, minimum ascension, which, sounds like it's stupidly low, like, honestly sounds like you could go from 500+ ascension, back to like, 15, which, sounds horribly un worth it to me. But the kicker, we go back to chaos 1 gear? So, wait, all those countless hours of trying to FINALLY get all our heroes geared up and ready to go, going through painful, god awefully painful grinding to do so, and it was all for nothing? You're making us have to go back through that god aweful grind again?

You missed the best part , once you spend hundreds of countless hours reaching min acension , finding good enough gear , waiting for ppl to join your maps to play as a team which never happens, collecting gold , reinvesting in the shards and all the other mundane  constitutionals you get to do it all over again! But this time wait for the drum  roll 🥁 ....... it will be 5% faster with the EXP bonus ! And then repeat again !, your minimal ascension will not get any better If you don’t surpass the original ascension you initially soft reset on, so if you where ascension 500, unless you don’t surpass that you won’t get any extra points or the other way is to beat the higher end floors for an amazing extra 1 ascension which may take you forever. but GUESS WHAT more great news, if you fail a floor which ie has 1/3 maps and you happen to progress to map 3/3 on that floor if you lose you  have to restart from from map 1/3 , YIPPE!. I was reading the soft reset and I was failing to understand what part was I meant to be excited about. They should of introduced better incentives like 1 permanent shard unlock per ancient power and same could be implemented for gear. They could of added better ascension bonus incentives reaching a particular threshold each time. On face value this Ancient power system  seems like trendy’s  master plan for people to keep playing but no one is going to enjoy going up and down a hill for petty rewards and thus will ultimately discourage individuals to continue. I may be wrong but some one needs to test  out how long it takes on average person to reach each  per ancient power. 

Note : if your friend happens to proceed to the soft reset and you need help  with a floor you are stuck on then good luck as they wont be able to help due to the gear down!, your more likely to catch a shooting star than find some one join your lobby after a few days, terribly disappointed, a game i been playing passionately since DD1 is completely ruined, RETURN TO PAYED DLC  

@Uchihia quote:

@Jojozityjo quote:

You missed the best part , once you spend hundreds of countless hours reaching min acension , finding good enough gear , waiting for ppl to join your maps to play as a team which never happens, collecting gold , reinvesting in the shards and all the other mundane  constitutionals you get to do it all over again! But this time wait for the drum  roll 🥁 ....... it will be 5% faster with the EXP bonus ! And then repeat again !, your minimal acension will not get any better If you don’t surpass it orginal acension you initially soft reset on, so if you where ascension 500 unless you don’t surpass that your won’t get any extra or the other way is to beat the higher end floors for an amazing extra 1 acension. I was reading the soft reset and I was failing to understand what part was I meant to be excited about. They should of introduced better incentives like 1 permanent shard unlock per acient power and same could be implemented for gear. They could of added better acension bonus incentives reaching a particular threshold each time. On face value this Acient power system  seems like trendy’s  master plan for ppl to keep playing but no one is going to enjoy going up and down a hill for petty rewards and thus will ultimately discourage individuals to continue. I may be wrong but some needs to test  out how long it takes on average to the time it takes to reach per acient power. 

I beat floor 55 and first of 56 but the issue is I have been running aura's and cyborks *** my aura's which ruin my defenses. It also feels like my EV is nerfed and I am supposed to use a melee char. For someone who could steamroll c7 before this just feels kinda tedious. Also best part is loot is like low c7 at 55 so I can't get more relics from there to fill in more heroes. If max c7 gear cannot just roll the content till 65 what hope are many lower lvls going to have? I don't get why we could not just start at the reset point if we were pretty much max c7.

The things I like so far in-game:

1) Onslaught map mutators and mixed lanes.

2) Lost Temple (seriously, it's beautiful to play in and the lanes opening up is nice).

3) Gear is dropping with better consistency in stats than C7.

The things I don't like so far in-game:

1) Solo is many times faster and more reliable than public.

2) It takes HOURS to get to the temple checkpoint.

3) My concerns about only getting 1 Ascension Point per reset were confirmed in the notes; with how slow progression feels at this point, I'm not sure if I will ever reset to be given a 1% boost "reward" in something relatively pointless compared to losing gear, shard levels, Ascension levels, gold, and the floor I've gotten to.

Unfortunately onslaught was the final nail in the coffin rather than being something to truly turn things around. I've been playing since it came out and the more I play the more I hate it. The #1 thing I hate the most is how limiting it feels. The mutators, the chaos mobs, the map selection; it all feels like the game is dictating to you how to build, where to go, and how to play. 

But I do understand that for other people this is their vision of fun and excitement. I could rage on about some of the insane mutators that are out there or how hex throwers absolutely ruin the mode, but there really is no point. Ultimately I guess it's just not for me anymore. We're way too far in to change anything now. The design is set in stone. The game is what it is. Some will love it, others with loathe it.

There was one hope I was holding out for...that onslaught would be easier until much higher levels. If we could have reasonable gotten to, say floor 165, then the reset wouldn't kill my ascension so bad. It would also mean the grind from 0 to 65 would be easier in comparison .  If onslaught Is infinite, or 999, it is not too much to think 165 might be obtainable the first play through. However that does not appear to be the case.  Although it might be...still can't even see what the lanes are throwing at me.  Also it seems if you make it to the third level on a floor and die...you get to do the first two levels again. Yay! 

I come back after nearly a year away, try three different towers on three different heroes, all of them completely fail to attack enemies right in front of them half of the time, and when they do attack they do exactly 0 damage, despite facing low level enemies with c7 gear. Why even bother expanding this broken mess of a game? Fix your *** Trendy.

@KnowsNoLimits quote:

Yup, on paper it sounds terrible and Trendy have no clue what an end game is if you need to repeat grinding over and over through the chaos levels. Which wasn't Challenging or fun the first time around due to picking up blue items and working out if the item is better or not to progress.

Because you know the ipwr is invisible now and stays that way for some unknown reason.

The biggest issue I have is that your shards reset, that's a lot of gold lost with no real way to supplement the loss besides you guessed it more grinding. Not to mention the ascension reset. Ancient power has to be god like to compensate for this,

This Onslaught sounds like it's more padding then anything challenging and fun in the long run tbh. You are just reusing the same assets of the boring ass chaos level grind.

I will give it a fair shot and try it out eventually, but I'm really in no rush to do so. 

The odd thing to me is that shards are reset, but your gold is not according to the Dev Stream.  You could farm C7 for a while, pool up gold, and then upgrade the shards to max right away.  Just seems like poor development and execution.

The best part is the new RNG lockboxes that are also in the in-game shop and, if you get duplicates, you get rewarded with wonderful amounts of gold (100-200k for a common duplicate).

The more I play these games the worse they get. I started late on dungeon defenders 1 and had a blast. Started dd2 from the beginning it's progressively treated the players worse and worse. 

I have spent a lot of money on this game and subsequently haven't used a single gem because they're just piling, I've never supported loot boxes and the current skins are obscenely priced. I'd get them on sale if anything. 

Off topic:; I have the limited edition of fortnite and it's also gotten worse there's speculation the developers used us pve stw early access to fund their br mode. To top it off speculation that they've abandoned pve development altogether. So don't invest in that game too much like I did. 

Unless progress is saved and not lost Casual players who don't have 3 hours of play time per session it will only cater to the die hards, once again.  We're better off investing in BitCoin or BlockChain 2.0 than a dev who is missing the mark.  No offense, and I am only making this from what I am reading from other players experiences and disappointments and let downs.

It's funny because I still believe in this game.  Just not willing to invest further in something that clearly is missing the mark.

@geo981010 quote:

I have been playing Fortnite:Save the World instead (the PVE mode, not Fortnite:Battle Royale which is the PVP that is really popular right now), and after getting used to a few differences it really has just about everything I want from a Tower Defense Action game.

You can choose your map, and see what reward you are going to get. There are many different types of missions besides just "Protect these things", like Rescue X things or Destroy X things or several other types. The battles are very intense and not just AFK spawn point suppressions, and combat is entertaining which is why 20M people are playing the PVP version currently. The maps are huge and seem alive with subobjectives and monsters sleeping out there, and since it is all randomized it will be different every time. Since there is a lot to explore, non-builders can keep themselves busy by completing subobjectives and battling monster nests and whatever. You get to create your own Homebase which is like making a giant trap filled Minecraft castle, and then invite your friends over for Base Siege missions where thousands of critters will invade and try to destroy it all.  You keep getting more powerful as you progress, and the game doesn't keep nerfing and resetting all your previous gains. The rewards progress so that there really isn't any reason to play lower levels. Critical hits are not overwhelmingly mandatory, and head shots can be done to increase your shooter damage consistently.  The monsters are varied and challenging and not just annoying - yes there are crazy fast little assassin zombies that do this leaping slash attack that ruin your plans, but if you keep on your toes you can dodge them, or tactics/strategies for Smashers (bosses that just destroy walls/etc and need player DPS fast) and explosive husks (toss a giant bomb that can explode and kill everything around it, but you can shoot it from range to set it off early before it demolishes your base). Special holiday events that offer all sorts of goodies for players, and some (like Halloween) add new campaigns and unique heroes to win. etc etc etc

The big thing for me to overcome was the FN towers are much simpler than DD2 ones, and at first I didn't think there was much strategy to it at all. However, after you get used to the Minecraft-like wall/floor/base building and realize that you can use hundreds of traps per map (thousands for some of them!) and how that interacts with your structures, there really is a lot of strategy going on.  Early on you can just throw a wall around your objective and can just DPS them easily in a team, but doing it solo or trying later on you will need to do a lot more.

If any DD2 players give it a try, look me up if you need some help (same username). I am level 60 and doing the last set of campaign quests for Canny Valley, so I am looking forward to getting to Twine Peaks soon. The campaign is grindy, but I am really enjoying it.

I think it's time I make a buy :D

nice to see a lot of people agree and seem to confirm what i understood of the notes, so i defo dont even wanna bother with resetting, especially after logging in and seeing a reset would basically net me a whole whopping 1% more power and 5% more exp and gold .. Awooooooo ... x.x

Fortnite was defo a better game, sadly i dropped it too, not for gameplay reasons, but because they stopped letting steam overlay work on their game, and im sorry, but there's no game in existance that is worth giving up the ability to talk to my friends and loved ones while just gaming.

Anyway, dont think ill completely drop DD2 entirely, ill probably still monitor it, maybe even still try for the occassional 3 daily clearance through quickie afked campaign maps to keep buying chaos shard packs for missing shards to fill out the rest of my dozen heros so i dont have to constantly swap shards around when, and at this point IF, i do get back into the game. PLus it helps me check out the new updates, keeping a look out for just in case trendy gets a better director or this one learns something and starts doing good things again. Other than keeping tabs on updates, i just cant, i cant invest any more actual time in this game again, and good lord no am i never dropping another penny on this, god no, it's just not worth it, in anyway.

@Jojozityjo quote:

nice to see a lot of people agree and seem to confirm what i understood of the notes, so i defo dont even wanna bother with resetting, especially after logging in and seeing a reset would basically net me a whole whopping 1% more power and 5% more exp and gold .. Awooooooo ... x.x

Fortnite was defo a better game, sadly i dropped it too, not for gameplay reasons, but because they stopped letting steam overlay work on their game, and im sorry, but there's no game in existance that is worth giving up the ability to talk to my friends and loved ones while just gaming.

Anyway, dont think ill completely drop DD2 entirely, ill probably still monitor it, maybe even still try for the occassional 3 daily clearance through quickie afked campaign maps to keep buying chaos shard packs for missing shards to fill out the rest of my dozen heros so i dont have to constantly swap shards around when, and at this point IF, i do get back into the game. PLus it helps me check out the new updates, keeping a look out for just in case trendy gets a better director or this one learns something and starts doing good things again. Other than keeping tabs on updates, i just cant, i cant invest any more actual time in this game again, and good lord no am i never dropping another penny on this, god no, it's just not worth it, in anyway.

The new players will understand the pain when they reach the first point of reset and mostly likely it will be above the minimum, then they would realise how Trendy played with them, I really can’t Understand what was going through there heads when they brainstormed this and decided yes players will love to reset and bore themselves again for a permanent buff that would be meaningful after 2k hours and 10/20 resets. They talk about how buff will stack with other players but what’s the point  of it when no one will join you due to the slack of people playing. They should of allowed some permanent gear unlocks or something extemrely meaningful. DD1 I think was run by someone else , hope they realise the simple fact that you can’t  discourage your player base, petty stats bonuses alone where a pathetic incentives, ... they could’ve added ability flairs or something .. not that it would of changed my orginal opinion, the time invested should = meaningful sense of achievement/reward  . Trendy created those patch notes as if we should be jumping for joy over th moon, those notes more translated to punishments lol

Note: I don’t think even a 10% exp bonus would draw me to acient power. 

if what im reading is true im better off to not  reset and just keep playing chaos mode ? if true thanks for the headsup because im fine with just playing  chaos and incursion because  i don't need super overpowerd to play them / that's just my playing style though which i enjoy 

I played some Onslaught now, and it gets old real fast. I´m not sure I want to reset and go back to square one just to face more of this tedious unrewarding grind. I´m floor 61 now, and had no interesting loot for hours. 

@MaJean quote:

I played some Onslaught now, and it gets old real fast. I´m not sure I want to reset and go back to square one just to face more of this tedious unrewarding grind. I´m floor 61 now, and had no interesting loot for hours. 

What I care about is what are you seeing for gold? More or less than trials? 

@Chappyy quote:

@MaJean quote:

What I care about is what are you seeing for gold? More or less than trials? 

Same as C7 Trials

i played til floor 61 map 3/3 wave 5/5 and lost to some random things we all know... ok happens... lets do it again! NO! surprise surprise! i cant just play his huge ***ing map again with ***ing long building time (i need to swap my heroes for nearly every defense cause i dont have 1345325 asc points) i can play all 3 maps again! wooooohooo!

summary: I played few hours of dd2 and nothing happens! no progression at all! c7 trials gives like 10 times more exp and needs way less time. 

this mode is like take trails make it harder and decrease the rewards and progression!

and then we are able to reset all our hard work for nearly nothing but to limit our possibilities to play this game until we played another 200 hours of climbing and repeating floors cause of bugs or moments of abstractions.

and if you dont reset theres nothing to do for you!

honestly i think the only possible way id be incentivized to actually do the reset, is if the power i got from it was substantial, like, seriously, if i have to spend another several weeks grinding through chaos 1-7 and regearing and sharding ALLLL my heroes, the buff needs to be at least 100% for minimum reset, i think i might actually take an extra 100% more def power to go through all that, but, id probably only ever do it once, cause, again, the grind is gawd aweful and we cant even use what we want in it due to no choice of map and hard-counters dictating what we can do. Not to mention the RNG, while is a freakish farcry better than what it use to be, still sucks, especially with shards, especially when trying to gear up, what is it, over a dozen different heroes now? oi x.x

@Jojozityjo quote:

honestly i think the only possible way id be incentivized to actually do the reset, is if the power i got from it was substantial, like, seriously, if i have to spend another several weeks grinding through chaos 1-7 and regearing and sharding ALLLL my heroes, the buff needs to be at least 100% for minimum reset, i think i might actually take an extra 100% more def power to go through all that, but, id probably only ever do it once, cause, again, the grind is gawd aweful and we cant even use what we want in it due to no choice of map and hard-counters dictating what we can do. Not to mention the RNG, while is a freakish farcry better than what it use to be, still sucks, especially with shards, especially when trying to gear up, what is it, over a dozen different heroes now? oi x.x

Simple fact is it took ppl hundred of hours spread over months to get to acension 500+, don’t think anyone has the time..... I wonder who in trendy thought this was a good idea 

I am at 800 ascension, I won't be resetting.  Almost have the last hypershard, then I'll just play casually.  It will be nice to play with groups again since mastery has been so lonely   LOL

I am on F57 of Onslaught and I am actually enjoying the challenge. The Lost Temple is definitely a visual experience above the rest compared to what Trendy produced and we can finally build more options. 

The problem with Onslaught though isn't really in it's mechanics, but the outcomes of said mechanics. You can get some pretty crappy combinations, which can be amplified tenfold based on what map you are on, ESPECIALLY in Lost Temple or Buried Bastille.

Examples include:

• Air lanes with Proxy Shielding against missiles (GG AA)
  • Geos with Spellbreaker (Matgic defense up, Phys defense down) paired with Cyber Orcs.
  • The affix where you need to inflict ailments in order to deal damage, which is a pest with Frost anything and Mini-Yetis
  • Certain species with Phasing (Game Ogre here you are ***ed)

And if you lose, you go back to Map 1 and have to restart. The farthest I got was Map 3 3/5 before I got a Cy-Frost Vanguard lane with the Crowd Control affix and this was on Lost Temple.

The only real people who suffer from this are people with no time in the day to do this or people who just started, as you need F65 and A250 in order to start getting Ancient Power. I got the A level part matched (A1135).

=====================

As for the direction this game is going in, it honestly isn't easy for them because I don't think there is anything they can do to improve the experience. Every new content is always going to be a problem, primarily for veterans that want to come back. But between a job, my social life and Path of Exile, I only get maybe 1 hour to do what I like in this and that is only enough to complete 1-2 Onslaught floors. 

As for the reset option. F' that. Why should we be penalized trying to get a level, only for all our progress to be destroyed and restart from scratch. This can be especially a problem for people who have 15+ characters like me and/or have 4 digit ascension levels like me and a host of others. At least if I get my First Ascension level, my cap rises by 20+ and I keep about 300 A levels for my next rotation.

I blame free to play.

I can't believe educated (or even uneducated) people would honestly create an expansion that required resetting hundreds of hours of gameplay for an additional hundreds of hours of gameplay for a small % to stats, without introducing new gear or items. No team would sign off on that thinking if they wanted to create a fun and engaging game. They might, however, sign off on that ludicrous if they felt it would increase their bottom line. 

Undoubtably they have computational models that dictate when, how much, and how often people pay into their game (as well they should, it's a business). But this expansion has to be a manifestation of that math as its top priority, which ultimately produces a poor product.

From my limited knowledge of paying into free to play...specifically this game, I did it very early on. I wanted some new characters and a few shards. After that, however, I stopped paying because I could progress and get the rest through normal gameplay. I feel this is probably pretty typical, thus the developers caring more about new players (notice how many early onslaught people have positive remarks?). Ironically a game developed to be a good game results in profits. A game developed to produce profit results in a poor game.