Sign in to follow this  
Hom-Sha-Bom

Cautiously Worried About Ancient Power

Hopefully we get more information soon, but based on the info currently available and the specific wording used around Ancient Power, I am a little worried about it.

If you've ever played an idle clicker game like Cookie Clicker, Idle Heroes, Clicker Heroes, Crab War, or any of the other thousands of Clicker Clones out there, you will understand the game mechanic I'm talking about.

If you've never played a clicker game, allow me to explain.

In these games you can actively "click" or "tap" the screen to progress faster, but when you are not actively playing the game you still automatically progress over time at a slower rate. But eventually, even when you are actively clicking you hit a wall where either progress is impossible, or you're just progressing extremely slowly. You do a "reset" where you get a certain number of points based on how far you progressed, you keep your over-all progress, as in upgrades and abilities you've unlocked, but you reset back to the start and have to progress through the levels all over again.

The benefit of this reset is in the points that you earn. You can spend those points on upgrades that persist even through subsequent resets, so each time you reset you can buy new upgrades and power ups that allow you to progress faster and further each time. Maybe the 1st time your progress slows to a crawl at level 50, so you reset and spend your points on a couple of powerups that not only get you back to 50 much quicker than you did the first time, but now you're also able to progress to level 100 before you start to slow down.

This kind of mechanic can be addicting at first, but it grows quite tedious very quickly.

The reason why I'm cautiously worried about Ancient Power is in the wording they've used to describe it. The first part of the news post describes it as a progression system:

Ancient Power, our new character progression that allows you to push the limits as defenders and increase your strength.

But Elandrian describes it as a "limited reset" that allows you to "keep progressing over time" which sounds very much like the "reset" mechanic in these endless clicker games.

Ancient Power is a way to do a limited reset on your account but keep progressing over time.

Also in many (not all) clicker games you are either progressing up through a different "floors" of a tower, or down through different "floors" of a tunnel. They are specifically called "floors" in many clicker games, just like Onslaught has "floors". And it's supposedly an endless progression (just like these clicker games with soft resets), and it starts out easier than Trials, but becomes harder later (just like these clicker games)

I hope I'm wrong. But for now Trendy refuses to comment on it. Hopefully they will clarify some information in the devstream.

This is exactly what I thought of... But we just have to wait and see as always.

I hope it is very different though, as you said, those games do not offer replay ability with content so much as required repeated play with a slightly further progression each reset.  Good for wasting time, not so much enjoyable after a bit.

Lord i hope it's not something like that, those clicker games become so damn tedious and monotonous, having to reset just to get better is just horrible x.x

Hmm Maybe, well it depends how they implant. Reading your post OP it reminds of a SRPG called Disgaea where you can do something called "Reincarnation" now the game's max level for 1 character is 9999. Yes, that's right you can level up your character 9999 times but once you hit end game and do the right methods 1 monster kill can level you up like 40 times if not more. Anyway going off track.

When your character level's up, the stat increased is like % increase of your current base stats. So say your base ATK was 100 and each level up it increases by 5% so your next level up will increase your ATK to 105.

So

LV1 ATK 100

LV2 ATK 105 and so on.

Now once you hit the level cap to make your character even stronger is that you can reincarnate them and this will make them start again at level one but your can add bonus points to there stats and your stats overall get a added boost depending on how many levels you have stored each time you reincarnate. 

So a reincarnated character stats could look something like this:

LV1 ATK 320

LV2 ATK  336

and if you level them up again to max level reincarnate yet again your base stats will be even higher and thus how your character will go beyond it's normal stat growth.

This sound about right? I wouldn't mind if the AP worked like this but it depends how they implant it. Like maybe if we do start at Level one we get the levlel cap increased from 50 to 60 and then so on with the limit being 100? and maybe we don't need as much exp per level so we can quickly get to where we was before the level rest only for the last 10 levels the exp gain is reset to normal or maybe even more required as it's the last 10? 

I can go, I'm like a damn thinking machine.

It works in clikers becose after "reset" you are more powerful, so you levelup and clear "floors" much faster. But thats not how dd works - after reset you have to do campign again (oh GOD no), and it will be the same insta death for mobs, which is not making thing faster. If they gonna do something about it, that its ok. If it will be like I described, we are funked.

@Franx quote:

It works in clikers becose after "reset" you are more powerful, so you levelup and clear "floors" much faster. But thats not how dd works - after reset you have to do campign again (oh GOD no), and it will be the same insta death for mobs, which is not making thing faster. If they gonna do something about it, that its ok. If it will be like I described, we are funked.

Why would you have to do campaign again? It would be an ascension reset if anything. I really hope this is what they do, the current ascension system just is not very well thought out for longevity, xp hits cap way too early, and really serves no purpose except saving you on hero deck space by building with the same character after enough levels.

My guess currently is that Ancient Power will be something more granular than Ascension and you won't "level up" Ancient Power by gaining experience. Will gain a certain amount of power based on what floor you are on in Onslaught when you choose to do a reset. A reset will only reset you back to onslaught floor 1 and not reset anything else. Then you can spend that power on abilities that have, pretty much any effect that currently exists in the game either as ascension or shards and maybe even stuff like skip X% of your current floor number after a reset.

I really hope that I'm wrong, but this is just what it sounds like to me. This would make the game super boring after a reset, having to AFK through all those early onslaught floors again multiple times.

I interpreted the soft reset as a once only thing, but I guess we'll have to wait and find out.  Hopefully at the dev stream today!

i just hope they dont mess us over for all the time we invested in acquiring the Ascension levels we have only to go poof!, 

Honestly the only reset I picked up on was gear (and map progression with it).  Pets would obviously have to be excluded since some are bought with gems.  They confirmed shards are staying for the same reason.  I doubt Ascension would be reset as that would tick off a large portion of the community.  The only other thing I could see is your hero levels. 

@Hom-Sha-Bom quote:

This kind of mechanic can be addicting at first, but it grows quite tedious very quickly.

That's because clicker games really don't do the "rebirth/prestige" mechanic any justice. 

Some games (and modified versions of games I.E private servers) pull it off really well and make great use of it without it being extremely tedious. Although, if I'm being completely honest, I'm not sure how it would really fit into DD or be useful in any way. It seems kind of unnecessary to me. 

Well, your worries were justified. :(

A new game mode that gives you virtually nothing as reward except the opportunity to repeat it ad infinitum. Welcome to Dungeon Clickers 2!