Sign in to follow this  
lekkin007

Thunderstruck

Here's the new shard!

duYr4IL.png

40% extra damage as storm damage plus drenching!

Edit (for the sake of clarity for anyone still checking this post): the storm damage has a 3 second cooldown, and the tooltip says this but is cut off in this view of the shard. 

@lekkin007 quote:

Here's the new shard!

40% extra damage as storm damage plus drenching!

luckyyyy... I'm too terrible at this game to ever get such a shard. especially since I prefer to play solo and it's impossible for me to find any public games

Did some real quick testing. It still looks like you are better off just using the old lightning touch and burning strikes. Lastly the regular drench shard (if you want he stun combo) or something else if your weapon is not already "pre-slotted" with something. 

EDIT: Seriously, what is this shard? What shall it replace? I only see it being used by those who didn´t have the original lightning touch which is removed from the drop table. The 3 sec cooldown on the ligtning dmg is ridiculous, why have a cooldown on it? The old ligtning touch is way better.

@MaJean quote:

Did some real quick testing. It still looks like you are better off just using the old lightning touch and burning strikes. Lastly the regular drench shard (if you want he stun combo) or something else if your weapon is not already "pre-slotted" with something. 

EDIT: Seriously, what is this shard? What shall it replace? I only see it being used by those who didn´t have the original lightning touch which is removed from the drop table. The 3 sec cooldown on the ligtning dmg is ridiculous, why have a cooldown on it? The old ligtning touch is way better.

LOL

This was the only shard that could have been great. I am not regretting taking a break at all now :D

If someone (who has the original ligtning touch) did more extensive testing and has a different experience than me, please enlighten mesquire_small.png

MaJean i envy you with that lightning tough shard (i am not old enough to have that)

But realy now ... this shard isn't doing much... from 10 Milion DPS to 11.5 Milion ... (Mewmere + Tundersruk) ... this is without Burning Strikes ... if i use (Mewmere + Burning Strikes) i ghet 14.5 Milion DPS ... this shard is a a normal shard not a Hyper. 

I did tests on Tavern on Dummy the results are from 30 seconds Primary attack.

EDIT:   i removed my pet before starting the this test.

@emilian quote:

MaJean i envy you with that lightning tough shard (i am not old enough to have that)

But realy now ... this shard isn't doing much... from 10 Milion DPS to 11.5 Milion ... (Mewmere + Tundersruk) ... this is without Burning Strikes ... if i use (Mewmere + Burning Strikes) i ghet 14.5 Milion DPS ... this shard is a a normal shard not a Hyper. 

So my initial test was correct. This shard is less hyper and more "meh".

@emilian quote:

Ah well, thanks for looking into it!

Especially considering this is pretty far along the star progression path, I sincerely hope they buff this shard later on. A few of the Hyper Shards are going to need buffs to be deserving of their rarity (whereas some are plenty fine already.) As noted above: there's no reason the bonus storm damage needed a cooldown placed on it. This is a shard we can only have one copy of, and it's not easy to earn either. Having the storm damage be constant would be in no way overpowered for people who have the ability to earn it. This isn't being handed out to new players to Chaos Trials, etc...

Plus if you have a weapon with storm damage and Drenching Strikes, you can already reliably get a stun effect. The whole point of this shard, in theory, would be to replicate that same stun effect but without needing storm damage as an affix on the weapon. Allowing people to get the effect while using Wayfarer weapons, for example. Something helpful and awesome yet not overpowered. With the cooldown, they lose any reason to use this over another quality weapon shard.

Yep. Gotta love players who playtest this stuff AFTER its been released and realize the Dev's forgot to leave in important info so its not as good as it sounds.

@Random Asian quote:

Yep. Gotta love players who playtest this stuff AFTER its been released and realize the Dev's forgot to leave in important info so its not as good as it sounds.

To be fair, it's actually a visual glitch I didn't realize.  If you read the tooltip while hovering over the relic, the whole description is there and it points out that the lightning damage is every 3 seconds.  It's just that their descriptions are often so long that they don't show up in the shard upgrade window (and I didn't fully realize this when I posted).

@lekkin007 quote:
@emilian quote:

Don't believe any test that is done over 30 seconds. if you want anything close to realistic results use no pet abilities or any abilities for that matter and just auto attack for at least 600 seconds ideally 1000.

Then check the results. With that said, when a shard is utter trash it will be pretty obvious within the first 30 seconds but I would never rely on such results as that could be massively impacted by crit chance given how powerful crit damage is and how low crit chance is in this game. A string of lucky crits will have a huge impact over 30 seconds, but not 1000.

@Zimmermann quote:

@lekkin007 quote:
@emilian quote:

Don't believe any test that is done over 30 seconds. if you want anything close to realistic results use no pet abilities or any abilities for that matter and just auto attack for at least 600 seconds ideally 1000.

Then check the results. With that said, when a shard is utter trash it will be pretty obvious within the first 30 seconds but I would never rely on such results as that could be massively impacted by crit chance given how powerful crit damage is and how low crit chance is in this game. A string of lucky crits will have a huge impact over 30 seconds, but not 1000.

Actually, I think a series of shorter tests give a more nuanced picture, and resembles situations encountered ingame more. Nobody will ever find themselves in a situation that calls for them to autoattack for 16 minutes... 

Yes crits can make each test result vary, but so can the choice of weapon (aoe,speed etc.). That´s why I make several short tests, to get a general idea of what the weapon and slotted shards does. 

@MaJean quote:

@Zimmermann quote:

@lekkin007 quote:
@emilian quote:

Actually, I think a series of shorter tests give a more nuanced picture, and resembles situations encountered ingame more. Nobody will ever find themselves in a situation that calls for them to autoattack for 16 minutes... 

Yes crits can make each test result vary, but so can the choice of weapon (aoe,speed etc.). That´s why I make several short tests, to get a general idea of what the weapon and slotted shards does. 

its not about creating a picture of what its like to actually dps bosses, its about illuminating crit RNG and giving a more valid picture of normalized dps.

A longer test is better in almost every case, and every case I can think of. Now doing 500 30s tests is good as you would then take the average of each of those 30 second tests. But its all about trying to eliminate random variables from proc's or crits. Anything regular however is fine, like character self buffs (monk etc), its just easier to do a long test without having to keep that buff up perfectly on 2 back to back 1000s tests :D

An alternative would be to somehow remove all crit chance and proc chance variation, but that is not possible as far as I know in DD2. Then a 10s test would be just as valid as a 10000s test.

@Zimmermann quote:

@MaJean quote:

@Zimmermann quote:

@lekkin007 quote:
@emilian quote:

its not about creating a picture of what its like to actually dps bosses, its about illuminating crit RNG and giving a more valid picture of normalized dps.

A longer test is better in almost every case, and every case I can think of. Now doing 500 30s tests is good as you would then take the average of each of those 30 second tests. But its all about trying to eliminate random variables from proc's or crits. Anything regular however is fine, like character self buffs (monk etc), its just easier to do a long test without having to keep that buff up perfectly on 2 back to back 1000s tests :D

An alternative would be to somehow remove all crit chance and proc chance variation, but that is not possible as far as I know in DD2. Then a 10s test would be just as valid as a 10000s test.

It´s gonna be the same result. My way just gives you partial results too, and saves you 10 minutes...Emoji_Kobalt.png 

I do agree a longer test period, that being either continous or segmented will give a more accurate result. 

-Everything over 3-4 minutes is negligible though.

@Zimmermann quote:

I mean, the most accurate one would be where you look at the numbers and just write down the regular damage, crit damage, and damage from other sources (e.g., thunderstruck) and damage when those crit, write down how often each regular attack goes off, crit chance, and then just do the computation yourself for damage per second. 

I don't see how this is meant to replace my Drenching Strikes and Storm Controlled Burst III weapon combo. I guess I can give it to my other DPSers?

Whilst it's nice seeing Hero Shards as well as Defense ones, this is pretty underwhelming, not that I've thought about what I'd like to see in a Hyper Hero Shard. Now if only Mastery didn't feel like a chore when soloing.

@lekkin007 quote:

@Zimmermann quote:

I mean, the most accurate one would be where you look at the numbers and just write down the regular damage, crit damage, and damage from other sources (e.g., thunderstruck) and damage when those crit, write down how often each regular attack goes off, crit chance, and then just do the computation yourself for damage per second. 

sure, but the point I was simply making is don't test for 30 seconds it will never be accurate or even close to accurate. The best you could get from a 30s test is maybe a broad indication, but even that could be way off if you get a string of crits or non crits seemingly completely invalidating any hypothesis you were formulating, only to realize the test was invalid rather then your hypothesis to begin with.

I found 500~ seconds was always a pretty solid amount of time to test with DD2, though I would on occasion with minor upgrades/changes use much longer tests as I needed more accuracy.

I also think trying to do the maths and writing down all the stats/formula is kinda a waste of time when you can get very accurate results with a cup on your mouse button while you are afk^^

@Faysumi quote:

I don't see how this is meant to replace my Drenching Strikes and Storm Controlled Burst III weapon combo. I guess I can give it to my other DPSers?

Whilst it's nice seeing Hero Shards as well as Defense ones, this is pretty underwhelming, not that I've thought about what I'd like to see in a Hyper Hero Shard. Now if only Mastery didn't feel like a chore when soloing.

All they have to do is remove that silly 3 sec cooldown on the storm dmg. The idea of merging drenching and storm is great, but not with a timer.