Sign in to follow this  
super_slayan

Mastery mode would be less annoying if..

these were features were added to the game.

1. for defenses cant be sold or repaired, disable selling after the 1st build phase and disable repairing all together.

2. for defenses cant be upgraded, disable upgrading.

3. for build no ______, disable the ability to build _____

4. for build only ______, disable all other towers except _____

5. for build more than 10 different defenses, have a defense counter somewhere onscreen.

6. for build no more than 1 of each defense, disable the ability to build the defense all together after it has been built.

this would make Mastery Mode a lot less annoying since randoms join and immediately repair or upgrade a defense halfway through the game and ruin your 5 stars or just by habit you ruin your own run.

I agree 100% with this, and most people I played with in mastery also agree since we talk about that often.

Failed so many times with these when someone else join mid build and screwed up repairing/upgrading when not allowed.

Funny part is yesturday someone did not agree with this and said : just gotta pay attention.... 10 seconds later we failed cause "HE" built a AA when not allowed.

This post seems silly, the only reason these challenges are hard is specifically because of these challenges. If they made it so we couldn't mess it up, might aswell remove the gamemode all together. 

@Naythen quote:

This post seems silly, the only reason these challenges are hard is specifically because of these challenges. If they made it so we couldn't mess it up, might aswell remove the gamemode all together. 

What are you talking about?  The challenge of not upgrading defenses isn't supposed to be "don't press q" but instead choose, place, and maintain your defenses in a way that doesn't rely on upgrading as you usually do.  The challenge to build only towers in c3 isn't supposed to be "don't forget and use a tower you shouldn't" but instead change your building style to limit your choice of towers and figure out how to use what you have to fulfill the normal roles of blockades, auras, traps, or nodes.  When you mess up, it is supposed to be for tactical reasons, like not tending to fliers, getting overwhelmed by kobolds/mobs, the enemies breaking through your defenses.  It is not supposed to be for totally preventable user errors that have nothing to do with the actual strategy of the game.

We don't disable these for two reasons (among others), one big reason, and one not as big reason:

- Big reason:  players who are progressing through might not be trying to do a perfect clear on every map, just want to clear it and get enough stars for whatever reward they may be aiming for. By disabling a challenge's obstacle entirely, and removing the player error from it, we also inhibit players from progressing through the mode in different ways. If they are a few stars away from a shard that may help them push through, they can now get through a few maps without 5-starring, and get the shard they need.

- Other reason:  as a result of the above, it's on the player to pay attention and understand what they can and cannot do. This is small additional challenge that relies on the player to be aware of what's required of them, causing players to break habits. 

The pros outweigh the cons here. I completely get the annoyance of it, especially when you can't sell. Not being able to sell something I placed poorly can be very frustrating, gets me almost every time it's a challenge. On a positive note, it's made me now be very aware of how I'm placing defenses in the larger scheme of the map, even when that's not the challenge.

Both totally fair points, [[166314,users]].  Something I learned from [[39695,users]] is that it also really helps to just rebind keys for some of these challenges (the no sell, no repair, no upgrade challenges specifically).  It's super easy to do and saves a bunch of time when you press q and can't upgrade because q no longer does that (you reset it afterwards of course).

@lekkin007 quote:

Both totally fair points, Lawlta.  Something I learned from SpiderDanX is that it also really helps to just rebind keys for some of these challenges (the no sell, no repair, no upgrade challenges specifically).  It's super easy to do and saves a bunch of time when you press q and can't upgrade because q no longer does that (you reset it afterwards of course).

Agreed, good points made by lawlta.

TY! :-) Based on how Lawtla was saying it is up to us to pay attention and break our "habits" is kind of the same idea of how I came to the "rebind our sell/upgrade/repair keys." By doing so, it helps me break the habit. It's like a crutch at the beginning, but later on, we can learn to not automatically press upgrade, etc.

I find myself in normal trials now thinking "Wait! should I upgrade or repair or leave it alone?" even though I don't need to think about that in normal trials. Mastery has been a good way to get us to start thinking again instead of just mindlessly slapping down metas.

@Lawlta quote:

We don't disable these for two reasons (among others), one big reason, and one not as big reason:

- Big reason:  players who are progressing through might not be trying to do a perfect clear on every map, just want to clear it and get enough stars for whatever reward they may be aiming for. By disabling a challenge's obstacle entirely, and removing the player error from it, we also inhibit players from progressing through the mode in different ways. If they are a few stars away from a shard that may help them push through, they can now get through a few maps without 5-starring, and get the shard they need.

- Other reason:  as a result of the above, it's on the player to pay attention and understand what they can and cannot do. This is small additional challenge that relies on the player to be aware of what's required of them, causing players to break habits. 

The pros outweigh the cons here. I completely get the annoyance of it, especially when you can't sell. Not being able to sell something I placed poorly can be very frustrating, gets me almost every time it's a challenge. On a positive note, it's made me now be very aware of how I'm placing defenses in the larger scheme of the map, even when that's not the challenge.

My only problem with that is that it discourages people from playing Mastery in multiplayer instead of solo. I've rarely messed up my own build by upgrading/selling/repairing towers, but I've had plenty of other times I start and build a multiplayer match and someone joins, I remind them what not to do, and then round 3 or 4 comes along and they take away two of the stars by messing up. I can't break the habits of other people and it makes me want to play multiplayer less in mastery. A toggle switch for the match creator would be nice, where we could enable or disable parts of the game so as to not be able to mess up mastery rules.

@CooterSox quote:

@Lawlta quote:

My only problem with that is that it discourages people from playing Mastery in multiplayer instead of solo. I've rarely messed up my own build by upgrading/selling/repairing towers, but I've had plenty of other times I start and build a multiplayer match and someone joins, I remind them what not to do, and then round 3 or 4 comes along and they take away two of the stars by messing up. I can't break the habits of other people and it makes me want to play multiplayer less in mastery. A toggle switch for the match creator would be nice, where we could enable or disable parts of the game so as to not be able to mess up mastery rules.

Are you having people join from town?
personally, I play almost exclusively multiplayer. anywhere from 2-4 players. I play very few maps solo. I almost only play with existing friends. This reduces the likelihood of screw ups. 

If you are having random people join from a public game, maybe that is where your multiplayer issues come from? Anyway, I hope you are able to run with people who are breaking the auto habits :-)

@Lawlta quote:

I haven't met a single person who does not auto quit as soon as we loose 2 stars, its basically 5 stars or nothing for everyone I played with.

@lekkin007 quote:

Both totally fair points, Lawlta.  Something I learned from SpiderDanX is that it also really helps to just rebind keys for some of these challenges (the no sell, no repair, no upgrade challenges specifically).  It's super easy to do and saves a bunch of time when you press q and can't upgrade because q no longer does that (you reset it afterwards of course).

just because 1 person rebinds their keys, that wont make other randoms from rebinding theirs.

@Some random guy quote:

@Lawlta quote:

I haven't met a single person who does not auto quit as soon as we loose 2 stars, its basically 5 stars or nothing for everyone I played with.

yeah same here. even if we are on wave 4 or 5 and we could get 3 out of 5, everyone just leaves.

The perfectionist 'star' is one of the most pointless. It basically turns any of the others into two stars.

I've given up on playing DD2 there is no fun in the game anymore for me. Good luck to any with far thicker skins than me.

Something may be done at C5, well if the immortal is kept in C5 then the annoyance of Mastery will just go exponential.

It's no brainer to quit playing if it's not fun for you... but why do you need to inform us on this forum site every time when reach to such a decision?

@Fozzie quote:

The perfectionist 'star' is one of the most pointless. It basically turns any of the others into two stars.

I've given up on playing DD2 there is no fun in the game anymore for me. Good luck to any with far thicker skins than me.

Something may be done at C5, well if the immortal is kept in C5 then the annoyance of Mastery will just go exponential.

i play dd2 alot but i haven't even played (mastery 3) mastery is just not fun to me i played mastery 1 and 2 for shards  but probably won't play mastery anymore 

@Fozzie quote:

Instead of fully quitting the game just take a 6 months break like I did before.

The game feels a little more fresh when you come back, especially if there's a few updates while your gone.

I don't understand the whole "five stars or nothing" concept. I would rather get three stars and get my next reward then waste twenty minutes and have everyone leave on wave 5..... Also, I rarely see anyone in public games anymore and it makes me sad. This is probably the first week that I didn't finish off mastery  before the next one starts.  :(

I think I read that the cores not taking damage challenge is going to be nerfed around C5 Mastery, but I think other challenges need to be nerfed as well. I understand if this didn't happen until after this stupid competition is finished with. ( I don't count this as an event.....) This would help players that play Mastery solo. One example would be the "Only build only one of each" and "30 second build phase" This is troublesome for solo players.

I never thought I would ever play a game mode that is even more terrible then Destiny's trials. DD2's Mastery mode proved me wrong.  At least they wanted more players to participate so they added bounties to get more non-elite players to participate. Public games for Mastery mode is pretty much a ghost town.

One other side effect of not being able to sell your towers when playing public games.  Without instantly loosing a star, you can't compare or even show that your defences are better to use. 

@Some random guy quote:

@Fozzie quote:

Instead of fully quitting the game just take a 6 months break like I did before.

The game feels a little more fresh when you come back, especially if there's a few updates while your gone.

that's true. I feel like taking a break for 6 months-1 year or come back when they make some new skins for the newer characters

for some , mastery mode is the challenge they have been wanting , i guess. for me its the most annoying thing ever lol . it is doing the trials all over again without your ascension points , which would be fine but , the no upgrading , the 30 second build times and the 180 second wave timers just piss me off to the point i no longer want to play. whats funny is some maps i will finish each wave with almost a minute to spare , while other maps I have 3 bosses to fight with 10 seconds left. to top it all off we get every map in mastery but not in trials. almost all my steam friends stopped playing dd2 due to the fact they have to play 4 maps over and over. they should have added a mastery option in trials that disables shard drops and lets you play mastery for the mastery rewards , with ALL the maps there in trials. lets just hope we don't have to complete mastery to play the new end game mode that on its way . I don't think having 1 of each hyper shard is going to make or break the end game mode for anyone and i am just guessing these hyper shards will be available in the end game mode. i cant imagine having just 1 of each hyper shard with all these characters some of us have. A new tier of armor , weapons and relics with 4 shard slots would be pretty sweet as well :P