Sign in to follow this  
tallahassee007

Dungeon Defenders 1 Shai Hulud

I'll just keep this post simple. What I miss most about DD1 was what created the desire to trade: unique weapons/gear/pets. Farming certain maps or challenges to get that 200 upgrade Shaitan, that 160 upgrade oculus, etc.. 

I remember being a noob to the game and coming across a 230 upgrade shaitan of a thousand winds. My highest character was only a level 78 huntress. Well, I posted on the forum (one of my first posts ever) that it was up for trade and the bidding war started. RangerzBert gave me the most for it. Ha Memories

Anyway, that's what I miss most. The uniqueness of the RNG weapons, gear, and pets. Now, nothing separates a 300 level ascension player from a 3000 level ascension player. There's nothing unique to grind for anymore. We can't pick a map or a challenge and play it 50 times just to get that perfect weapon. 

I digress. I thoroughly enjoy this game. But DD1 holds a special place in my heart for that reason.  

@tallahassee007 quote:

I'll just keep this post simple. What I miss most about DD1 was what created the desire to trade: unique weapons/gear/pets. Farming certain maps or challenges to get that 200 upgrade Shaitan, that 160 upgrade oculus, etc.. 

I remember being a noob to the game and coming across a 230 upgrade shaitan of a thousand winds. My highest character was only a level 78 huntress. Well, I posted on the forum (one of my first posts ever) that it was up for trade and the bidding war started. RangerzBert gave me the most for it. Ha Memories

Anyway, that's what I miss most. The uniqueness of the RNG weapons, gear, and pets. Now, nothing separates a 300 level ascension player from a 3000 level ascension player. There's nothing unique to grind for anymore. We can't pick a map or a challenge and play it 50 times just to get that perfect weapon. 

I digress. I thoroughly enjoy this game. But DD1 holds a special place in my heart for that reason.  

Preaching to the choir bro and it's been said many times.

Trendy have already outlined a plan for DD2. Unfortunately  it doesn't include the best aspects of DD1.

Game is fun though, it's just missing that special something to make it truly great.

Can't say it too often! The squeaky wheel gets the grease. I always thought i as alone in wanting RNG to be in an RPG game that is supposed to be about RNG, not a hand-holding gear-apalooza. As you said, nothing better than getting that 200+ upgrade weapon that you have been working for and finally getting to try it out in a public game. That was one of the many driving factors of the social game that DD2 lacks. 

Wow, gotta agree with you too, it was nice farming Onslaught, Defense and Incursions for the unique weapons.

We need those kind of stuff back again!

Though I might kinda disagree on the power leveling side of trading, but it will, indeed, be fun to trade for certain exclusive and rare stuff.

It's not even necessarily the trading I liked(though I did). It was the RNG drops. Grinding onslaught on mistymire for the 20th time and finally getting a 101 upgrade giraffe! That's where it's at! :)

@tallahassee007 quote:

It's not even necessarily the trading I liked(though I did). It was the RNG drops. Grinding onslaught on mistymire for the 20th time and finally getting a 101 upgrade giraffe! That's where it's at! :)

Exactly, though I have not played DD1, that does seem really victorious! :) 

For me, it's grinding Onslaught just for the slayer weapons to complete my weapons collection!

We had something like this in DD2 to an extent. I remember farming NM4 Ramparts Incursion for hours and hours to get my 4s Armored Cleanser bow. Of course I only got to use it for a month or two before trendy nerfed it to hell and made it like all other bows. I feel like almost all the weapons in DD2 right now are the same. None of them really feel special or unique.

@tallahassee007 quote:

Very much agreed.  That was also the thing in DD1, even being a noob with only a level 78 huntress, you got something awesome and was able to utilize it, even if it was only to trade it.

@Paloverde zfogshooterz quote:

Wow, gotta agree with you too, it was nice farming Onslaught, Defense and Incursions for the unique weapons.

Though I might kinda disagree on the power leveling side of trading, but it will, indeed, be fun to trade for certain exclusive and rare stuff.

The thing with trading though is that you didn't have to, you could easily have gone through the game without trading.  I did. 

I didn't even really care for the public game aspect of the game until much later when I was able to clear everything with just me and my g/f.  We both realized, after being able to farm everything, that we had a entire horde of items we could trade off to people or even to give away to help others out.  We would host games and let complete strangers take all the loot they wanted, as we farmed the Aquanos Seahorses.  The power leveling aspect of DD1 let me get at least 4-5 people I personally knew into the game, which as a side note they I know got others into the game as well.  Being able to help my friends out and then watch them become as good or better than I was, is very gratifying.  Passing that on to other players and helping each other out was an amazing thing in DD1.  Trading helped with that, without it I would more than likely never got that many friends into the game, nor would they have gotten others into the game.

@Argonias quote:
@Paloverde zfogshooterz quote:

The thing with trading though is that you didn't have to, you could easily have gone through the game without trading.  I did. 

I didn't even really care for the public game aspect of the game until much later when I was able to clear everything with just me and my g/f.  We both realized, after being able to farm everything, that we had a entire horde of items we could trade off to people or even to give away to help others out.  We would host games and let complete strangers take all the loot they wanted, as we farmed the Aquanos Seahorses.  The power leveling aspect of DD1 let me get at least 4-5 people I personally knew into the game, which as a side note they I know got others into the game as well.  Being able to help my friends out and then watch them become as good or better than I was, is very gratifying.  Passing that on to other players and helping each other out was an amazing thing in DD1.  Trading helped with that, without it I would more than likely never got that many friends into the game, nor would they have gotten others into the game.

Well, now that you put it that way, it does make sense. Well said.

The sweet did come with a lot of the sour too.

You are sitting there in phase shift watching the map drops and suddenly over the other side f the map it drops an Ult++ armour.

You still your racing heart and hope beyond hope it has 4 builder or DPS stats and 300+ ups, maybe even a double capper.

Your mind races the wave ends

You switch out of phase shift and rush over to the piece and its split dps and builder stats crap upgrades and a minus on one of the stats (who the feck thought minuses were a good idea)

So you slope on back do a flash heal or two (great ability by the way)

Phase out and G up <sigh>

But that's what made it so great! The enjoyment of getting those lvl 90 armor pieces with 100 upgrades or soul focuser with 80 upgrades that were provisioned just right. I'd love if they re-mastered that game. 

@Fozzie quote:

The sweet did come with a lot of the sour too.

You are sitting there in phase shift watching the map drops and suddenly over the other side f the map it drops an Ult++ armour.

You still your racing heart and hope beyond hope it has 4 builder or DPS stats and 300+ ups, maybe even a double capper.

Your mind races the wave ends

You switch out of phase shift and rush over to the piece and its split dps and builder stats crap upgrades and a minus on one of the stats (who the feck thought minuses were a good idea)

So you slope on back do a flash heal or two (great ability by the way)

Phase out and G up <sigh>

A lot of waiting and rushing for no reason, simply use overlord mode to check out drops across the map and then only go get it if it's good. :)

Also, no such thing as double capping Ult++ armour, not even single capping unfortunately.