Sign in to follow this  
The Jason Order

Is 0 Ascension in Mastery a technical limitation or a design decision?

The way I would have done it is an additional tab in the ascension part of the UI for each mastery.

Then you can assign your mastery ascension points for each level.

The logic would say if mastery 1 use ascension tab 1, if mastery 2 use ascension tab 2 and if not mastery use main ascension values.

That way you can assign your 105 or whatever ascension points in a strategic way, makes it more 'Mastery' than PITA.

Also making an update that simply makes all the past updates absolutely irrelelvant is quite a funny idea. It would be like having an update in a MMO saying "You know what ? Let's make that XP is now useless, let's put everybody back to level 1 it gonna be fun".

I always hated Ascension really badly for the obvious lack of inspiration it is and the absurd grind it is in the end and I find it really funny that now it's simply pointless to get the strongest shards in the game.

I can't wait to see 1.3 introducing a revolutionary gamemode identical to chaos that makes both Ascension and Shards irrelevant!

I would like to add that it is not just an Ascension 0 limitation only error, but it seems at least for me, my gear though is maxed and upgraded C7 gear, when capped in C2 is way below what you get from maximum C2 drops. So for example I get 750-barely 800 armor when max in C2 is above 1000. Relics are around 2600 when you can get around 3.3k. 

So is this a bug that is being worked on?

I seriously do not have that much time to spend on. 

If it is a bug I would much rather come back at a later time when this is ironed out or is it happening only to me a problem with my account?

Lawlta verified in Friday's chat that 0 ascension is intended for now, and say we would likely not have the cap at 0 for all future masteries, but he refused to be specific.

@Sombrero quote:

Also making an update that simply makes all the past updates absolutely irrelelvant is quite a funny idea. It would be like having an update in a MMO saying "You know what ? Let's make that XP is now useless, let's put everybody back to level 1 it gonna be fun".

I always hated Ascension really badly for the obvious lack of inspiration it is and the absurd grind it is in the end and I find it really funny that now it's simply pointless to get the strongest shards in the game.

I can't wait to see 1.3 introducing a revolutionary gamemode identical to chaos that makes both Ascension and Shards irrelevant!

I fail to see your logic of a"all past updates irrelevant." 1st of all, Every single shard we have obtained in all chaos are usable in all mastery. 2nd of all, mastery 7 will be herein must a matter of weeks.  So, right there just blows holes in your logic already.

You act as if you have not played mastery, but only read about it. Maybe I am wrong here. Hopefully you have actually tried it out (Or at the very least, watched lots of gameplay videos). If you have not, then shut up & go away until you do either of those. No person can give an honest opinion on a game until they have actually played it or sat down and watched enough gameplay. 
I am getting sick & tired of people weighing ion on things they have not tried. I know that you, sombrero , have pretty much quit DD2. There are other who have done so as well. What bug me is when you & others in your  position come back & complain about new or old things without actually playing the game. That's just dumb.

So, please, for your own sake and for the sake of others, don't weigh in on things you have not actually tried yourself. 

Pretty certain this is not a design decision but Trendy not knowing how to implement it.

Quote from Mark in the dev stream, "Ascension will be capped on a per difficulty basis."

You dislike this game so much, makes me wonder what keeps you here?! Do yourself a favour, find something that you will enjoy sincerely..... cheers mate!

@Sombrero quote:

@MamaTata quote:

You dislike this game so much, makes me wonder what keeps you here?! Do yourself a favour, find something that you will enjoy sincerely..... cheers mate!

Bold assumptions. If anything, he likes this game more than you because he's actually giving feedback and pointing out ways the game could be improved. All of us love this game and know of the amazing potential it has to become awesome, and we wouldn't be posting here otherwise, but unfortunately, Trendy keeps making poor design decisions. I know you'll disagree since you pretty much love any update they release, even if it's horrible and makes no sense.

so true... I'm ashamed girl Emoji_GobHuntress.png

@ally quote:

@MamaTata quote:

Bold assumptions. If anything, he likes this game more than you because he's actually giving feedback and pointing out ways the game could be improved. All of us love this game and know of the amazing potential it has to become awesome, and we wouldn't be posting here otherwise, but unfortunately, Trendy keeps making poor design decisions. I know you'll disagree since you pretty much love any update they release, even if it's horrible and makes no sense.

I wondered about Mastery mode and why I find it frustrating compared to Challenges in DD1.

Then I remembered. All the recent times I went through challenges were when I was well over 6k in many stats with insane speed to get round and build the maps and had Godlike DPS.

So of course with those very rosey glasses on 'Challenges' lost all their memories of frustration and damaged controllers (or keyboards)

So yes Challenges were initially very hard and Trendy needs to be careful with the Ascension barn door, as should they open it with a whole heap of points on offer each tier that bolted horse can never be reined in.

So yes its a PITA but better challenge than no challenge.

Although some tweaks on fail states would be welcome.

This was supposed to be a quote but it didn't fit anymore so I deleted it but the window was undeletable ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Simply removing all ascension from the first 2 tiers of mastery is silly, it's basically assuming that you gained no experience through chaos 1-2 and also gives you gear that is barely on the min for the tier. It doesn't reflect the experience you had in these chaos tiers, and makes it hard by simply not giving you gear that fits in that chaos tier. 

Also something I haven't read so much about yet but iam wondering, what's up with the challenges themselves?  Some of them obviously restrict the player too much, barely giving them something to work with, unless they own most or all heroes. 

Good examples :

a) any map with equal opportunity and available du higher than 1000 (prime example c7 buried bastille)

b) all lanes open : build no barricades , basically making the dryad worthless apart from the similiar restriction of not being able to build traps only leaving her with the harpyie.

c) chaos 1 forgotten ruins (only nodes and barricades allowed, self-explanatory)

d) Restrictions leaving you with defenses that are countered by the chaos tier e.g. dont build towers in c2, only build towers in c1 or only build towers in c3.

Obviously all the maps are doable by players since the master leaderboard both times was full with finished players in a very short time interval, but it is noteworthy that many of them were grouped together, Personally, I was able to solo all of c1's master maps, but only because I had previously purchased the ev2.

When I started trying to do c2 this week I lost interest after playing 2 maps and have only begun to slowly do all the maps this weekend and it's really frustrating and iam wondering what the thoughtprocess behind the mapchallenges was. 

Another point, I think trendy has limited themselves on how they implemented mastery leaving them no choice other than having build restricitions, herodeath and timed challenges. A better way to implement mastery would be letting the player choose which stars he wants to collect and failing the map once he fails a challenge he desired to complete. This way you can have a lot more challenges that would 'mutate' the map into a harder version of it ( See starcraft 2 mutations as an example, common sense also tells you that this is also way more interesting than what we have now).

Cheers.

We also received some inquiry as to what the scaling of Ascension levels was for each tier of Mastery. Right now we're ready to show what the first four tiers are, and will be releasing the rest of the scaling with each Mastery release. They are:

Mastery I-IV: 0 Ascension Levels

Mastery V:  ???

Mastery VI:  ??? 

Mastery VII: ???

Trendy said this when they posted mastery II winners.

@LineDrill quote:

We also received some inquiry as to what the scaling of Ascension levels was for each tier of Mastery. Right now we're ready to show what the first four tiers are, and will be releasing the rest of the scaling with each Mastery release. They are:

Someone reads my posts! :)

Mastery V-VII (or IIV for those who appreciate our concept art for crowns) will have ascension levels included with them.

@Lawlta quote:

@LineDrill quote:

Someone reads my posts! :)

Mastery V-VII (or IIV for those who appreciate our concept art for crowns) will have ascension levels included with them.

I know this might seem like I am trolling, but this is a genuine question.

Does that mean you will add X ascension points (assuming you have the equivalent or more on your heroes) per Mastery from V through to VII, or does it mean we will get all our ascension points back just like it currently is on trials?

I hope my question makes enough sense to be understood... its hard to be clear with a toddler on ones lap.

Without giving out actual numbers (I know what they are at the moment, but need to make sure 100% before posting them), the way it will work is say it's locked at 2 ascension, that means you'll be able to invest two ascension points into every slot. So on Abyss Lord, you could but two into health, two into hero damage, etc. Here's a visual to help convey what I'm explaining:

11acf0a33e2de221d90359a378a13290.png

My main question is should I reset all my Ascension now, or will I be able to assign Ascension for mastery come Saturday?

Let's say the cap is 20, but I have 140 in some things, and 0 in others. Will my extra points be wasted, or will I be able to reassign them. I'm not looking forward to remaking all my heroes this week.

@The Jason Order quote:

Let's say the cap is 20, but I have 140 in some things, and 0 in others. Will my extra points be wasted, or will I be able to reassign them. I'm not looking forward to remaking all my heroes this week. 

Are you asking if we're going to be giving free ascension resets?

No, I'm asking how Ascension will work for Mastery. Is it just a cap based on what you currently have, or will you assign it for mastery.

Basically, should I go ahead and respec all my heroes to 50 points in each.