Sign in to follow this  
Succ the Fabled

An angry rant of solo player at Mastery mode

I'm going to say it, I love Mastery, it's a great concept, having challenges adds a neat twist to the game.

But you know what I absolutely despise? Not giving a single care about players like me who have issues IRL that makes it impossible for them to NOT play solo, since it's harder for them to group if they suck at socializing.

I hate, in bold and italic, the scaling on ennemies and how unfair some challenges can be to a solo player. Of course, i'm not saying the game is impossible for every solo player, no no. I'm just saying that the mode is just insanely difficult for solo players like me. I literally can't think of completing a challenge such as '30 seconds build time' and '180 seconds combat', which is a thing in the C2 part.

Just to say it, I did manage to play with people a few times, took a while tho. And it was SO EASY COMPARED TO SOLO! People could take care of the lanes and all, it was so good, because it wasn't insanely difficulty and an insane time management simulator. See where i'm getting at? The scaling of ennemies, or the amounts of bosses that come with a challenge that could potentially destroy everything is unmanagable. Still, I understand that the game is a 'team game', but you can't just force people to be socializing, I can't do that in this case!

Let's not add the fact that some players (like I), can't see the challenges when they press ESC and have to take screenshots to remember them and in my case, I can't even see the 30 seconds timer without another player telling me the time.

Basically? Trendy, asap, do a patch that makes the game fair for EVERYONE, not just team players, E V E R Y O N E.

PS: If you say that you did complete all the stars solo, good for you, but remember, not everyone is at your level. I'm not at your level. So saying there's no problem is probably because your level allowed there to be no problem. Take this in consideration. Thanks.

I'm kinda with you on this. I mostly play solo because of inconsistent play times, so that's how I tend to take on the mastery levels. And it can really, really suck some times, especially if you're pre C7, which I am (working through C4/C5 right now). The best part is when I figure out a strategy for a particular map, I get through 4.75 waves perfectly, only to blow a challenge at the very end and lose two stars because of I can't be everywhere at once. What a waste of half an hour. I get that it can still be done solo, it just takes a lot more preparation, and a lot of lucky breaks. 

@superzebe quote:

I'm kinda with you on this. I mostly play solo because of inconsistent play times, so that's how I tend to take on the mastery levels. And it can really, really suck some times, especially if you're pre C7, which I am (working through C4/C5 right now). The best part is when I figure out a strategy for a particular map, I get through 4.75 waves perfectly, only to blow a challenge at the very end and lose two stars because of I can't be everywhere at once. What a waste of half an hour. I get that it can still be done solo, it just takes a lot more preparation, and a lot of lucky breaks. 

Wow. You impress me. I actually am past C7 and I don't know how I would do this without some C7 shards. Can imagine it would be harder for pre-C7.

If build/combat time and scales with per player like 40(1 player)/35/30/25(4 player) sec build time and 220/200/180/160 sec combat time it will be more fair and balanced.

I think the 30 second limit is a bit unfair on solo players.  Totally acknowledge that others have done it solo but to beat it is a test of coordination and motor skills, which I don't have, and which are not required anywhere else in the game.  In fact one of the pleasures of DD2 is that you can take your time.

My suggestion is to increase the timers to at least 60 seconds even if you old back some of the rewards like the flairs (but not hypershards please!).

@Succ_the_Fabled

I'm new to DD2 but I noticed your topic may relate to my thread I opened up in the community forums.  I agree the game as it stands feels very solo oriented unless you can bring some friends into it with you.  In order to find someone playing the same challenge as you for mastery, you would have to click on each one you haven't done to see if a public game has been created for it currently.  See thread below of suggestion: List of Public Games.

https://dungeondefenders.com/2/topic/151085/public-games-listing

-Quartz

Maybe like 30 seconds per a player not on the screen, so for 4 players you all get 30 sec, 3 get 40, 2 get 80, and if going solo you would get 120 sec. Or something like that, i just mean to scale the timer with the number of players present. There should not be an unfair advantage to having 4 players, when that is difficult to get together on a game from the town. I could have beaten many a mastery level if i just had one person to cover another lane for half a min. Doing it all solo is tough...but not as hard as finding 3 other players who are good and want to help - at the time you want/need it. Public mastery levels can suck too, as I've had others join and start healing towers on a no-heal map. Never know who will join and if they will help or hurt.