Sign in to follow this  
zaharon456

My suggestions for future updates

To start off I know this isn't easy to add new things to this game if even possible, so I don't expect to see everything in the next update or ever but I would just want to share some of my thoughts.

1) A personal thing - I would like to make Weapons dropping on survival not useless as *** for builders, I mean right now the only choice for weapons would be from end map rewards like akatiti obsidian weapons, buc bay, embermount and thats it, the only exception currently is ult++ weapons with 999 tower damage.
I want this to change because I want more variety on weapons used for builders and dps'ers because there are a lot of cool weapon designs I would love to use but its impossible realy.

2) Add an Accessory set bonus - the only reason right now to have accessory sets are the visual bonus, while looking cool they provide no stat benefit. This can tie in with the new accessory revamp in CDT 3 making maps have better stats on accessory drops thus making players more interested in farming certain maps for their visual set bonus (I realy like the antler set from plantir so I plan on farming it).

3) Perhaps new Accessory slots - Backpack or Wings, Belt, maybe even Chest guard. Can look realy cool and make customization much better, might not even have stats for all I care as long as I can make my alts look cool. 
If they do have stats that can also tie with the accessory sets I proposed in 3.

4) Remove Skin bonus's - I know, I know, This would change some things alot, but I think the skin system is realy broken, because of the obvious reason, THEY ARE SKINS, not anything else, they shouldn't provide any benefit especially because some skins can only be acquired through dlc'.
Some skins provide such an HP and DMG boost that its practically a must for a DPS hero and most even make the character slower which for me at least makes the game less fun.

And now some of the more extreme ideas and things that probably will never happen.

5) Make armor appear on characters and a Transmog like system (from WoW) - what I mean by this is first, armor on characters can obviously make them look cooler, but it will also help with not feeling like you wear this invisible armor that magically help you.
Something that would fit very well into this would be a Transmog system to make you have the appearance of one items while retaining the stats of another.
This can add a whole new reason to play the game and you can farm for those epic weapon skins (making random weapon drops on survival helpful once again).

And lastly the most important Issue I have with the current game and some ideas to fix it.

The grind. The grind in this game is awful.
Before you write how this game is about grinding listen to what I have to say.
The grind itself is not the issue but the reward for it, especially in Endgame, the grind is just not worth the effort.

About Armor: When I have 6k tower dmg and 2k-3k sides, why would I spend countless hours to farm one ult+ or ult++ piece that is usable just to gain at most 200-400 stats on ONE builder that with the incredibly bad scaling of high stats would not make a big difference in game play. 
Early game the grind is fun, you move up in the rank of maps you do to get higher stat and better gear and while is still hard, rewards you alot as a player and in terms of progression.

At late game though, what do you have? MoonBase and Lab Assault. That's it.
It becomes so repetitive just to get 1 or 2 item upgrades that in the end don't benefit you a lot other then bragging rights that you have 7k stats.

About Weapons and Pets: Oh god the weapons, They share the same problem with the tower pets.
Like I stated before, weapon drops are crap and 99% of em aren't worth looking at, but end map weapon rewards? they can easily drop with 400-600 stats (especially obsidian weapons), with all 4 tower stats and incredible stats even without farming a ton.
This depends on luck mainly, yes. But getting good stats on the end map reward weapons isn't as rare as a good random drop weapon.
I don't think this problem is as bad as DPS weapons, since bloodshots and bonestaffs still can have really good DPS, but really the only other worthwhile DPS weapons I know off are from end map rewards (please tell me if I'm missing something).

What about tower pets? Pretty much the same.
While random pets can spawn with decent stats like 400-500 in all tower stats, the tower pets just slaughter them in ease of farming and stats of spawning.
Tower pets are the "something" on a treadmill, fish in a bowl, and diamonds.
These are superior in every way to any tower pets you can farm. Fish and ToTs (Treadmill on a Treadmill for those who don't know) are just ridiculously easy to farm and will spawn with 500+ all tower stats every run or 2, and the ToT's can spawn with even greater stats and on top of all that give a great speed boost (I believe 40%+ correct me if I'm wrong).
Kobolds and Turtles are pretty much outdated as Kobolds don't provide a speed boost and take long to farm (usually spawns with *** stats) and they don't even provide a speed boost, while turtles are easier to farm and do provide a good speed boost will spawn with not good stats (300-400 I think).
Diamonds are the only exception here because they cost a lot, aren't easy to farm, and if you try to spawn one its a huge gamble, But they look the best, provide a good speed boost (38% I believe) and can have really great stats (700-800).

About XP farming and Levels :  I don't think the XP is hard, its rather easy really with tavern defense giving 50m xp per run if you do it right, making leveling a new alt from lv 0 - 100 take about 10-15 hours.
The issue here is for new players. The scaling is crap, it takes about 550m to reach level 93 and to reach 100 you need again 550m or so (I'm using rough numbers here but its not too far off from the real stats).
Why do I bring it up? because new players can't do tavern defense and they will be stuck doing other missions to grind to get to 74 on all characters.
But I think this is not an issue and this doesn't need fixing as this is a grind game at core and grinding for xp is one of the aspects even if it drains your mind out of boredom.

Now, how do I think all this can be improved? well, I'm not a game designer, not a programmer, and not a design artist.
I'm your average gamer with a passion for this game and some rough ideas.

For the weapons problem I would say, is nerf the spawn stats on end map rewards and increase by a ton the survival rewards to at least be somewhat available for builders.

For the Pets problem well this one is more complicated.
For Diamonds remain as is, they are extremely hard to get and farm so they should stay as is.
For Fish the only thing is to nerf them. a lot. They are really easy to get and if you are doing moonbase campaign you will get them as a bonus any ways for getting the extra mana chests. They are over powered and need fixing. A proper nerf would place them the same stat wise as the turtles from akatiti.
Same for ToT's, it is not possible that they are as easy to farm as fish (granted you know to hit 42 on machine) and can spawn with stats close to diamonds and with their insane speed boost. they need to be stat wise as the current fish bowls with a max 25% speed boost.
For For the kobolds, well buff them. they take a lot of time to farm, aren't 
exactly easy to get on NMHC and maybe even add a 10-20% speed boost to make them usable again.
Turtles should stay as is, they are just a nerfed fish bowl.

The only option I can see fit for the Armor stat problem is to completely reset all the game stats.
Oh god here it is, the last thing I have to say and the one that is not an easy thing to discuss.
I have about 1300 hours on this game, I am really proud in my achievements and knowledge of this game.
But I can only see us benefiting from this because the way I see it currently, the game is in its dying breath.

I appreciate everything the CDT is doing to add updates and the incredible community of this game (this is honestly the best community I have ever been part of in a game), BUT I think this is necessary to breath some new hope into the game and make new players not as intimidated when coming into the game.

obviously this will never happen but I'm sure anyone pondered about the idea of such a thing and how it would play out.

I am done now, thanks a lot if you read this whole thing through.

please tell me what do you feel about somethings I wrote and how do you feel will help improve this game.
I would love if you can give some insight as to some of the points I made.

My steam account: https://steamcommunity.com/id/UrielCohen/

That's it.squire_small.png

@zaharon456 quote:

1) A personal thing - I would like to make Weapons dropping on survival not useless as *** for builders

There are perfectly fine weapons for builders in survival, they're in the Shards maps. Sure they aren't the best, but they shouldn't be. You already get good armor and pets from survival.

@zaharon456 quote:2) Add an Accessory set bonus - the only reason right now to have accessory sets are the visual bonus, while looking cool they provide no stat benefit. This can tie in with the new accessory revamp in CDT 3 making maps have better stats on accessory drops thus making players more interested in farming certain maps for their visual set bonus (I realy like the antler set from plantir so I plan on farming it).

3) Perhaps new Accessory slots - Backpack or Wings, Belt, maybe even Chest guard. Can look realy cool and make customization much better, might not even have stats for all I care as long as I can make my alts look cool. 
If they do have stats that can also tie with the accessory sets I proposed in 3.

All these 2 do is artificially inflate stats (which is useless) while increasing the amount of grinding. (that you complain about later on)

@zaharon456 quote:4) Remove Skin bonus's - I know, I know, This would change some things alot, but I think the skin system is realy broken, because of the obvious reason, THEY ARE SKINS, not anything else, they shouldn't provide any benefit especially because some skins can only be acquired through dlc'.

Some skins provide such an HP and DMG boost that its practically a must for a DPS hero and most even make the character slower which for me at least makes the game less fun.

Mega chickens and Seahorses are only available through DLC, should they have their functions removed? Furthermore, "because skins" is not a valid reason to remove stat bonuses. This is not some MOBA where it could give a competitive advantage over another player; this is a PvE game. Finally, most skins come with some sort of tradeoff for using them. The developers decided they wanted your character skins to be an important part of character building, so they are.

@zaharon456 quote:5) Make armor appear on characters and a Transmog like system (from WoW)

This exact system exists in DDE and I thought it looked awful. (obviously personal opinion)

Regarding XP:

There are an increasing ways for newer players to get XP, they just aren't laid out well. (Mostly things like first wave of [Insert map] on Nightmare.

Regarding Pets:

Fish in a bowl is a bridge into Nightmare and isn't overpowered in any way and are meant to replace Giraffes. ToT have extremely high spawn variance and can spawn with less than 100 on any stat. Kobolds are also fine as is, because you should be farming them on Insane, not Nightmare. Nightmare Kobolds are almost universally awful.

Regarding Weapons:
Increasing the spawn stats of survival weapons will cause mana inflation. (though given upgrading costs I'm not sure that's a bad thing) Furthermore, nerfing end of map rewards is a bad idea because when you can farm anything anywhere instead of specific maps, you make getting the certain weapon you want ) more difficult, increasing the amount of potential grind you so dislike. (See Buccaneer Bay - getting Moby vs Roger is 100% random and gave me more than a few headaches)

Regarding Armor:
Good luck convincing people with 7k hours to drop all thier ++ at the drop of a hat ツ

Furthermore this doesn't even solve the problem. The real problem is the item generation code, which should get an entire rewrite, which likely won't happen. If you know anything about statistics, this image showing the distribution of item sizes for Espears should tell you everything you need to know.
J91WblD.png?1

Thanks for typing out the essay so I don't have to Caimen! :) I typed out an essay anyway lol

I generally agree with everything Caimen has posted, but I'll add a few things:

Weapons

Buffing random weapon drops and nerfing map rewards is removing half of the incentive to actually run maps on campaign for weapons. Why should someone run a map for about 20 minutes to get 4 weapons when you can run a survival and get countless chances for decent stat weapon drops? This also indirectly buffs moonbase survival, which as it is is already the 'meta' map for farming armour. The only incentive then would be if you like the look of the weapon, or are farming it for dps (as I'm assuming from your post you're only wanting to buff the stats). But there are already weapon examples of this (shards weapons, some specific core drops) and people still farm these anyway.

On this point anyway, if a difference of 200-300 points doesn't make much (if any) of a difference to your playing, why not just use a random drop that you like anyway? There's nothing stopping you other than "Oh I want more stats". Pjtor for example has been attempting to get a specific monk core drop weapon for his dps monk because of how it looks; will it increase his dps or stats? No, but he is still choosing to look for one.

Pets

However, regarding fish bowls, I would like to see a slight nerf to the stats on them considering how strong they are for how (relatively) easy moonbase is. On easy hc moonbase, you can get fishbowls of stats 70~ which is almost equivalent to an insane HC survival giraffe, when moonbase on easy is MUCH easier. Hard fishbowls almost roll as well as insane fishbowls. Currently, fishbowls make kobolds redundant, as it is much quicker and easier to farm fishbowls on insane moonbase than TD survival (which is ran on insane HC and not nightmare). A nerf to about 400-500 stats on insane and nightmare would be good enough for this (although I would support going down to 300-400 and nerfing the lower difficulties accordingly). Adding a speed bonus to kobolds is a terrible idea though, as this would make skeletons redundant when they already roll laughably and come from a more difficult survival (WW INHC). You've also completely disregarded the fact that turtles have a level requirement of 30, hence the lower stats.

I'd also support a nerf for ToTs because diamonds are cool, as well as the fact that the aqua turtles are being added next patch and they have a soft cap of 700 and hard cap of 725, which is worse than ToTs when they will take much longer and be more difficult to farm. I'm fine with the speed bonus, but a nerf to a hard cap of 700 would be nice. Nerfing them to 500-600 is a bit too much considering their level requirement, and the speed bonus is fine due to this as well. Quad 700 pets are still much better than a lot of pets anyway!

On the other hand, regular random pets should not be buffed statwise. Stat pets cannot attack, hence the higher stats/speed bonuses (generally) than regular pets. Why should a pet that can't attack have the same stats as a pet that can? The pet that can attack would become strictly better, as you would be able to bring your builder out in combat phase and build without nearly as many interruptions as you would with a stat pet (people already do this anyway)!

XP

Averaging 50M per run of 15 minutes on TD, you should be taking around 5 hours to reach 100, not 10 hours. And even then if you are efficient enough you can be going quicker (an average time of 12 minutes on TD would be a bit over 4 hours to hit 100). Level 100 isn't even terribly important anyway; new players don't need level 100. They most likely will have maybe up to 3 or 4 level 100 pieces if they are (relatively) new, and you can easily make do without level 100.

Other (armour and stats)

I would personally not like for armour to show on characters, as I'd rather see the cool colour combinations that people come up with for their character skins. However, I'd support adding an accessory cosmetic overlay.

A global reset of stats would (in my opinion) cause the game to die quicker. People have spent hours upon hours grinding for their gear, only for it to be reset. This would discourage most people (including me), as all of our time investment will have disappeared. I wouldn't even accept a reset on my alt and I only have about 100 hours on there!

Going to keep this short as Caimen as already provided valid reasons/counter-arguments.

1. Yeah no. Primarily because of balance issues. DPS Weapons are better suited to be obtained from reward drops rather than from survival drops, as way to many weapons drop on survival runs, if even 50% of them are DPS-usable that presents a glaring imbalance between farming campaign maps vs survival maps. Survival maps already drop good enough tower weapons -- Lost Ethernia Shards DLC maps specifically. Try them.

2 & 4. Again no for both. Accessories were added purely "cosmetic reasons". Whereas skins have historically been added [in this game] for giving some benefits along with trade-off to balance them out. Giving set bonus for accessories will inflate stats for no real requirement.

3. I dunno, may be a hesitant yes. I love customizing my characters, A LOT. But then the character GUI is already way too cluttered that adding more slots will make it a mess. Unless there can be a way to not have it more cluttered then yes, why not. But I doubt this is possible.

5. Don't think this would look good, you already have accessories and on top of that showing armor would most likely overlap and clip with existing accessories.

6. Grind. "The grind. The grind in this game is awful." TBH, end-game grind in ANY game with RNG loot-mechanics is bound to be "awful", or "time consuming", or "less rewarding". Early grind in ANY GAME will be fun as you are constantly looking out for newer and better gear. But once you reach a certain stat level it starts having diminishing returns. I dunno why this is an issue? Seems fine to me.

7. About Armor. The entire point for Ult++ armor IS BRAGGING RIGHTS. I have 4K - 6K stats. I don't spend time farming for Ult+/++ armor anymore. Why is this a problem again?

8. About weapons. "weapon drops are crap and 99% of em aren't worth looking at" Exactly what maps are you farming? I'm sure there at least 6-7 maps which give a variety of different weapons with good stats and trade-off. And as with ANY GAME like this, there is bound to be that one top-end weapon. Moonbase has pretty good weapons for DPS, and is not an end-game map by any stroke of imagination. It offers decent DPS weapons for all classes which aren't absolute top-end either. Again, why is this an issue?

9. About pets. I do agree that Fishbowl and to an extent ToTs are horribly broken and makes farming Kobolds, Skeletons and other such tower pets pretty much obsolete becasue of how easy these two are to farm. However, instead of "nerfing" them, I'd rather prefer you get only 1 of either Fishbowl or ToT per account, like CD weapons. I.E. one moonbase run = 1 Fishbowl or ToT regardless of however many extra characters you bring in.

10. XP Grind. Seems ok, if people just want hand-holding and spoon-feeding its their problem. Players have leveled their characters before TD as well. Plenty of maps do offer decent XP with a lesser difficulty spike. You can very well do Endless Spires or Ramparts Wave 1 NMHC and open the chests to get some early Myth Armors. WIth a full set, you can run TD until Boss wave easily and get some decent XP. Its not that hard, just that people don't wish to put in the effort.

11. Nerfing end-game weapons, for what, more grind? Good luck convincing others. [Hint: Not gonna happen!] BTW, again, survival weapons already are good enough for Towers. I know a lot of people using those instead of using Campaign Reward Drop Tower Weapons.

12. Read 9.

The only option I can see fit for the Armor stat problem is to completely reset all the game stats.

LMAO. Good luck getting support for that! :D

Thanks for answering and for the info!

I don't expect any of this to make it into the game I just wanted to get my ideas out, good to know they weren't such great ideas I thought they were monk_small.png.

aqua turtles are being added next patch

Whatttt????? I don't know anything about that, can you tell me about it? I only watched Caimen's CDT update on youtube  but I guess thats outdated by now.

I have often wished for a change in armor drop. A token based system along the line of coals, where you get to choose say a leather tower chest. It's frustrating to see a useless ult armor drop from hours of grinding. The rng where some myth items are way better than ult does not make sense to me.

Also the mechanism where you have 3 summoners and maybe a monk playing, and almost all drops are weapons. As if dps chars don't need armor. You get a bonus for having your builder in combat, but you really can't if want armor drops.