Sign in to follow this  
Demarki

Is Tinker's Lab farming becoming harder and less rewarding in CDT 3?

Removed Map exclusive accessories from Lab Assault (ie CD, ToL, GTH, WW/SN and Palantir)

I was told that Tinker's Lab was the best place to farm for accessories and I am currently leveling my characters to 74 and farming Mythical gear in order to start farming this map, however by reading those 2 changes I am really concerned, especially for newer players who didn't have the chance to farm good accessories yet. All the veteran players have farmed them already, why are you removing them from this map thus making it much more difficult for new players to catch up? It's already hard enough guys.

Adjust Gold Enemy Buff as fixed increase of 200% on NM and Insane, 100% for Hard, 50% for Medium and Easy

I am not sure about this one, does it mean that Golden enemies will have their Health TRIPLED in insane/NM, or does their damage get tripled as well? If that's the case then you guys are REALLY making it harder for newer players like me.

edit: removed an extra line from the patch notes I pasted by mistake

Lab Assault was far too warping to farming decisions, and something had to give. It turns out that it was the accessories. You can still get good accessories from Lab Assault after the patch, they just won't get to 500. You'll cap around ~320 on the best ones.

As to the campaign map, the Nightmare items got buffed, not Insane item nerfs. I'm pretty sure the Mega Chickens are changing, but I forget how.

Nothing in terms of actual map difficulty is being changed other than Golden Enemies getting a minor buff which is largely unnoticeable.

You will still get OP armor drops from Lab Assault compared to doing survival. You will still get fairly decent accessories, just not the absolute top tier ones which are supposed to be map specific/exclusive.

If you farm Insane TL Campaign, you will still be able to do it, they aren't nerfing anything not even the rewards.
If you don't farm NM TL Campaign, you will now be given a slight incentive of getting better than Insane items for the difficulty spike. This is something that was broken and was about time to be fixed. 

Insane Mega Chickens are not being touched either, you will still be able to get those 37k Mega Chickens from Insane. NM Mega Chickens will be a bit better to compensate for the large difficulty spike between Insane and NM.

So, overall its actually not being made less rewarding other than the fact that you will now have to farm specific maps to get exclusive accessories, which makes sense. People don't play those maps as Lab gives everything and kills the purpose of having those maps in the first place. Its a fair decision, and there was a long discussion before it was implemented with overwhelming support from the community in favour of removal of certain accessories from Lab Assault. 

Apart from that, nothing else is changed.

@Caimen0 quote:

Lab Assault was far too warping to farming decisions, and something had to give. It turns out that it was the accessories. You can still get good accessories from Lab Assault after the patch, they just won't get to 500. You'll cap around ~320 on the best ones.

Well all veteran players have already farmed the top accessories in Tinker's Lab, by changing this now you are only gimping the newer players who didn't have the opportunity to farm the lab yet. Do you see what I mean?

I'm a "long time player" and I've barely ever farmed Lab Assault for accessories, specifically the top-end ones. For my high-end accessories I've farmed Temple O' Love, Embermount and Priate Invasion. And Ember & Pirate invasion accs don't even drop on Lab Assault. You want to farm a map that is essentially broken and gives you an easy way out for accessory farming. Is that what you're getting at? Seems like it.

Its not as if other maps like WW, ToL, Palantir are astronomically hard to farm. Besides by the time you get to the level of being able to use high-end accessories, you won't really feel the same way you are feeling right now about accessories.

Lab Assault had a broken progression, if its being fixed now so be it. How does it matter when its fixed? Blaming everything on "veterans" is kinda pointless. And LMAO, no one here has an agenda against new players to gimp them from not getting accessories. LOL that's a ridiculous accusation.
Funny thing is you can still get those, just not on Lab Assault. I don't see why that's such a huge issue. Why should someone farming Lab Assault be rewarded the same accessories with same stat-rolling compared to someone who has to spend 20-30 mins farming on a specific map? Especially when Lab Assault takes less than 5 mins to complete.

Almost sounds like you want the easy way out. Doesn't seem fair, does it? I spend 20mins on a ToL run for 6 accessory drops and you spend 5 mins on Lab Assault with [roughly] same amount of accessory drops to get a good chance at the same reward as I do and you're telling me somehow that's fair? LOLWUT. Its broken alright. if Lab Assault is not broken, then I don't know what else is!

Stop focusing on Lab Assault so much and focus on actual progression through which you can farm other harder maps easily.

Besides, you can still just jump on to Lab Assault and farm it off for a while, its not like the update is live, yet.

@Demarki quote:

Well all veteran players have already farmed the top accessories in Tinker's Lab, by changing this now you are only gimping the newer players who didn't have the opportunity to farm the lab yet. Do you see what I mean?

You can still get those accessories with the same stats, they just won't be in Lab Assault.

@Black Mamba quote:

Besides, you can still just jump on to Lab Assault and farm it off for a while, its not like the update is live, yet.

To be honest the game is quite hardcore for new players, not to mention that leveling after 70 takes so much time. I have 160 hours into the game and only 2 out of my 8 characters managed to reach 74, I can't even imagine the pain to get them all to 100.

As for farming lab myself, I am aware that I need a good BF drill, however I cannot solo Volcanic Eruption at insane difficulty as I cannot manage to build defenses on the key points and switch to a DPS character before the timer runs out. I tried to solo Lab assault without a BF drill and I am getting my ass kicked even on medium. This game is definitely not easy and getting anywhere close to endgame takes hundreds of hours and patience.

Which means you're a at a stage of the game where instead of worrying about being able to farm Lab Assault, you should look at getting more levels and grinding out a few starter armors which help you get into Nightmare difficulty. Therefore accessory removal from Lab Assault should be the least of your concerns, for now. Hence I said -- focus on progression instead of worrying about Lab Assault.

however I cannot solo Volcanic Eruption at insane difficulty as I cannot manage to build defenses on the key points and switch to a DPS character before the timer runs out.

Practice more is all I can say. We've all been through that phase in this game. Its nothing surprising that people fail often in this game. I know I've had my fair share of failures. Check out some progression based guides on Steam if you're absolutely stuck. This guide specifically -- http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=571937405

While I do agree that leveling yourself can be hard and very time consuming, but you can request for help from players in-game. No harm in that. The game itself is quite easy, just that the bump of difficulty between Insane and NM is quite high, hence that comes off as "game being hard".

Finally, any game that has a substantial RNG element with its loot-mechanics takes a while to get to end-game. I have about 3.8K hours in the game and I'm still between the 4K-6K stat range as most players. Don't worry about end-game.

Looks like most things have been said about lab so I will focus on progression and how we have tried to improve it for beginners.  Once the update comes out, the original campaign bosses will be dropping accessories as rewards as well.  This is a small way to ease the progression by providing a few more stats to players as they progress through the campaign.  Dread Dungeon is setup to also drop a new accessory and is probably around Glitterhelm difficulty.  So there should be some things added to make it easier than just having to look at lab for everything.

As far as a bfdrill goes, shops probably sell them and some players even give them away or will do VE runs for fun.