Sign in to follow this  
Fozzie

Sad to say Mastery isn't doing it for me

I play mainly public games helping people get over C5, C6 hurdles etc but mastery has so many ways to fail and so open to trolling that publics for mastery are just a no go, IMO.

IMO if the map doesn't allow auras to be built it should block auras so they can't be built that way it negates any trolling.

Also worth blocking upgrading or repairing if they are not allowed.

You cant do anything about dying

Just my 2 cents to make this more public compatible.

@Fozzie quote:

I play mainly public games helping people get over C5, C6 hurdles etc but mastery has so many ways to fail and so open to trolling that publics for mastery are just a no go, IMO.

IMO if the map doesn't allow auras to be built it should block auras so they can't be built that way it negates any trolling.

Also worth blocking upgrading or repairing if they are not allowed.

You cant do anything about dying

Just my 2 cents to make this more public compatible.

Indeed. Incorporating challenges in trials would've fixed this issue. Also, the challenges are silly and too restricting. No upgrading? No repairing? No using of X defense? Way to deprive players of what little gameplay there is anyway. Would've liked more unique challenges that don't restrict or remove gameplay but add gameplay, instead, like boss rush waves, unique enemy traits, more enemy health, and so on.

so though I disagree with [[52650,users]] regarding enjoying mastery, I have to agree with the blocking some towers/actions to enforce the achievement limitations.

I have trolled myself a few times by accidentally building the wrong tower or selling/upgrading/repairing when I shouldn't. Now I understand these are teething pains regarding doing something new, and since I only do 1-3 maps a day its already getting better. But... it would be a nice quality of life change for new players to not have to rebuild a map via the exit map, enter tavern, enter map, rebuild just because the pressed 6 instead of 5  once heh. It would also be a good in public games, as mistakes happen more often due to more players and thats ignoring trolls entirely.

Like the challenges, LOVE the gear/ascension scaling, not a fan of the rank 1 towers only + no repair challenge combo... not enjoyable when you have to rebuild the entire map after wave 3 because all your auras will expire mid wave if you don't. But thats not a major issue as long as its maybe once or twice per chaos :)

I must be lucky then, because I've joined about five different public groups doing mastery and haven't had any problems with trolls, and I've been really enjoying the new game mode.  I love that they built so much into the UI (timers when those are a restriction and telling us exactly when and how we failed if we do).

Doubt it will be made easier anytime soon since a lot of players find these challenges "way too easy" and wants them to be harder. It's pretty hard even with a friend. It will only be easier if you had multiple "up to standard" friends. Sure, everyone's the same at lower chaos tier mastery, but once we hit c6 or 7 mastery, we probably need really high ascension/geared friends to fully utilize what we built. Meaning masteries such as 30sec built phase and equal opportunity will be extremely difficult.

The only thing I dislike , is the "do once, and never again". Right now, many of us are back to the waiting game again....

@MaJean quote:

The only thing I dislike , is the "do once, and never again". Right now, many of us are back to the waiting game again....

do what I did, play 1-3 maps per day. I am really enjoying it, but just rationing how much I play so its not all gone straight away.

though saying that, i have probably been playing more then I should the last couple of days. But lucky for me there are Halloween skins on overwatch to get^^

I did like most of mastery and enjoyed the scaling, but I have to agree on the restrictions on some maps were quite annoying. Looking through the other difficulties to come some will be very difficult with the restrictions - no towers for c2 and c5, towers only for c3. Now ok if you own all the heroes these arenot that big an issue, but for the OG 4 not many options available.One map in C1 was frustrating with OG4 no towers, no auras no traps so all that was left was arcane barrier, spike blockade and training dummies hmm. Chaos trials limit us enough with the hard counters with these further restrictions if you dont own other heroes your going to have a very difficult time. 

@Zimmermann quote:

@MaJean quote:

do what I did, play 1-3 maps per day. I am really enjoying it, but just rationing how much I play so its not all gone straight away.

though saying that, i have probably been playing more then I should the last couple of days. But lucky for me there are Halloween skins on overwatch to get^^

Yes, that right there, is how I actually wanted to play it. Nice and relaxed. But they went ahead and did this "first 10" - thing, and although I love a challenge, it made me sprint through the content, actually enjoying it less.. 

Does not give the game much longevity or replay ability , something you play for a 1-3 days then never come back too.  But least it will be getting me back to the game for a couple days a week i guess.
And I do like the suggestions of not allowing Repair or selling or upgrading in maps that do not allow it. 

Some of the masteries are fun.  Some.  Also don't feel like the masteries were done that creatively.  I am not flying through them because having spent two hours in them am finding myself thinking they rubber stamped the challenges rather than trying to be creative.

I actually liked it quite a lot, it was something different, I try to think of it as the name describes it, as a Prelude

I think Mastery is decent as a 'prelude' to end game, but wasn't that also what 'trials' were?  Can we just get the actual end game, instead of constantly being baited along with the promise of a end game? 

I do like that we can now choose the maps we wish to play, but still it is only an illusion of choice b/c to get all the rewards we have to play ALL the maps with EXTRA restrictions, instead of what I think a lot of people were asking for (less restrictions on game play).  Don't get me wrong I like having something new to do, and will be completing the Mastery mode in my own time (I don't care for the racing other people aspect of it at all).  I just want to be able to use all/any of the defenses or even be able to spam a single defense to see if it works on any map I choose at a difficulty that is still rewarding me for playing.  Just my two cents. 

As a side note, once the mastery hits C7 I suspect that being able to farm gear on any of the maps will be nice, but I did notice that the end chest for Mastery doesn't drop the Chaos tier shards, is that intended?  Personally, I do not see why if I am running the chaos difficulty and doing it on Mastery with extra restrictions I would get less from the end chest than when running the trial difficulties by themselves.

EDIT: At least the Mastery levels I did, did not drop the Chaos 1 difficulty shard. 

@Argonias quote:

I think Mastery is decent as a 'prelude' to end game, but wasn't that also what 'trials' were?  Can we just get the actual end game, instead of constantly being baited along with the promise of a end game?   

No trials was released as the end game. 

I don't understand the (limiting part) some people are complaining about, in chaos we were already been limited in lots of ways, can't place most towers cause of geodes for example.

It wouldn't be a challenge if we could have placed any defenses.

I enjoyed the mastery, we made (and tested) new builds, good way to group up, and no overpowered players rampaging everything cause its only C1.

And seriously, trials are grindy AF, always the same build and most people play solo so newcomers can have a very hard time when jumping into a new chaos tier.

I do admit tho no shards from end chest is kinda odd.

@Some random guy quote:

I don't understand the (limiting part) some people are complaining about, in chaos we were already been limited in lots of ways, can't place most towers cause of geodes for example.

I enjoyed the mastery, we made (and tested) new builds, good way to group up, and no overpowered players rampaging everything cause its only C1.

And seriously, trials are grindy AF, always the same build and most people play solo so newcomers can have a very hard time when jumping into a new chaos tier.

I agree. There´s no challenge in doing the META on all maps.

@Some random guy quote:

@MaJean quote:

@Some random guy quote:

I agree. There´s no challenge in doing the META on all maps.

Looking forward to the C2 mastery, those cyborks gonna be a real *** when we can only place auras or nodes.  :O

Me too, I have a feeling people will bring their A game this time around, for a place in top 10.🏆.

@Argonias quote:

I do like that we can now choose the maps we wish to play, but still it is only an illusion of choice b/c to get all the rewards we have to play ALL the maps with EXTRA restrictions, instead of what I think a lot of people were asking for (less restrictions on game play).  Don't get me wrong I like having something new to do, and will be completing the Mastery mode in my own time (I don't care for the racing other people aspect of it at all).  I just want to be able to use all/any of the defenses or even be able to spam a single defense to see if it works on any map I choose at a difficulty that is still rewarding me for playing.  Just my two cents. 

As a side note, once the mastery hits C7 I suspect that being able to farm gear on any of the maps will be nice, but I did notice that the end chest for Mastery doesn't drop the Chaos tier shards, is that intended?  Personally, I do not see why if I am running the chaos difficulty and doing it on Mastery with extra restrictions I would get less from the end chest than when running the trial difficulties by themselves.

EDIT: At least the Mastery levels I did, did not drop the Chaos 1 difficulty shard. 

Mastery do not drop shards, at least I don't think it's supposed to (because shards do not drop in mastery for me too) . Shards are only exclusive to trials. But, if you didn't know, you could accumulate enough stars on Mastery, you are able to obtain a hyper shard which which will be reminiscent to previous shards but much more powerful. 

@Paloverde zfogshooterz quote:

@Argonias quote:
-snip-

Mastery do not drop shards, at least I don't think it's supposed to (because shards do not drop in mastery for me too) . Shards are only exclusive to trials. But, if you didn't know, you could accumulate enough stars on Mastery, you are able to obtain a hyper shard which which will be reminiscent to previous shards but much more powerful. 

Yea, I know about the hyper shard.  Would still be nice if you were able to progress (gearing and getting shards) in Mastery, that way you aren't stuck in trials (only 4-5 Maps) grinding shards.

@Some random guy quote:

TBH, I complained about the limiting factors in the trials as well.  Specifically complained about the hard counter mobs like the geodes.

Sorry to say, but there really isn't that great of a challenge even still.  Only a few of the Mastery star requirements make the maps more difficult and even then you can get around them, like the build your defense in 30 seconds, solo that is extremely difficult, grab a couple friends and it's a breeze.

I kind of think that Mastery in the later chaos difficulties when the geodes or assassins are out will start having people group less as well.  In my time playing C1-C4 normally had a few games going, once you hit C5 though public games just stopped.  So we'll see if Mastery breaks that trend, currently it is a great group mode and allows for C7 people to go back to C1 and play at that level with their friends (instead of just carrying).  I wonder about the grind though now, with Mastery you can get gear at least, so some people might gear through that to break the monotony of the same 4-5 maps in trials.  Trials will remain a grind though b/c the only way to get the shards is still through that mode, and some of those shards are almost necessary for the later difficulties.