Sign in to follow this  
Random Asian

Mastery Mode. Solo Vs Party play

Introduction: Mastery Mode is definitely the one true mode for testing a Player's full Mastery of this game. True Mastery is using the most effective tactics available aka META. Mastery Mode doesn't give space creativity and ingenuinity. It just enforces the stale gameplay varitey we've always had and just limits our options even more. We have to sacrifice personal style and enjoyment to simply achieve 5 stars in a map. We don't need it but we want it. OCD Triggered! If you're a Masochist then this game mode is for you.

The problem with Mastery Mode: Too many Challenges/Modifiers/Restrictions that focuses on enforcing Players to use Defenses but at the same time preventing them from using the Defenses they need. Solo-players end up having to use their Hero for everything at a significantly harder and much more tedious effort but Team-Players is significantly easier due to having almost no downsides to bringing in extra manpower to point and click stuff to death. The problem is the huge gap in effort and difficulty between Solo and Party play. If someone wanted to get 5 stars for most map then they need to join a Team. Solo-play still has the benefit in relying on personal skills and being efficient plus not being held down by other players. The downside to Solo-play is that they have to avoid attempting 5-stars and just deal with acculmating 1-3 stars per map and move on.

(Edit) Leaderboards: I don't care for this but some people do. I can say that the developer's shouldn't have ranked Solo and Party on the same leaderboard.

Personal Note: I've only played this Mastery Mode for about a few hours and only got 5-Star on the first Map in Chaos 1. I can definitely say it is challenging but not in the right ways. I immediately gave up after trying the 2nd map and then reading all the other combinations of Challenges(Restrictions) for the other Maps. Its basically the horrors of Chaos Trials slapped ontop on even more restrictive limitations.

Edit: I've beaten all maps with 5 stars. I already had apppropriate Shards plus almost every Hero available. I enjoyed the experience even if I did fail repeatedly because I forgot I was a Dark Souls Veteran that relished in torment... I mostly solo most maps and a few maps I had a team because there wasn't many people who are specifically searching for open lobbies in Mastery Mode. It was extremely fun with a full team because no one really sat AFK like Chaos Trials. It still has its issues but other Feedback posts already cover it and I'd only just re-read what they've said.

Some points I would like to see.

Why not count the race when a player starts first map? That way players could choose there own starting time and make it more fair and fun for everyone. Then we would have 1 full week to compete.  Also a added (solo) after the name on the Mastery leaderboard would make it a little more interesting to see for those of us that completed Mastery challenge 100% solo.  

I have to disagree. I couldn't be happier with mastery mode. I do wish we could do boss battles in mastery mode. But the challenge is what I admire most. People weren't happy when the game was stagnant and there were only 3 map options available for c5. The same thing happened once c6 and c7 came out. I've played this game since the very beginning and there was always a build that was too OP and made the game easy. 

First was geyser traps and skyguards, then frostys with explosive and elemental traps, then flamethrower towers, then weapon manufacturer, now c7 players just spam auras like crazy. The challenges are just that, challenging. They force the player to use multiple characters and make us engage ourselves into the build. 

If you need a hand or someone to team up with, let me know and I'll give ya my gamertag. If you play on PS4, I have a network of some players whom put me to shame as well who are all very helpful. Many of whom I leveled up only to get blown by. 

I think it's great that there's a game that's constantly developing game modes for us. Just when it seems boring and tedious, they throw something else at us. While this may not have been the most difficult update, it's definitely the most engaging for us as players. :)

I have to agree Mastery Mode does have some issues even though I cleared the 105 stars (so far on PC still have PS4 to go), most of the time with one other person, a couple solo and one or 2 with randoms. My friend and I who ran through 60 stars before we got stuck did struggle as neither of us had - lavamancer, Abyss Lord or Mystic. Thankfully he did have a dryad so he threw on random relics to defenses there. Some we took a couple of attempts but for the most part we figured something that worked first time out. It didnt help much he was allot newer to the game, but it did give perspective on how newer or C1 players would actually cope with these challenges.

Trendy had indicated these would be possible for those new and in C1 I disagree here. If said new player met up with some experienced players maybe but a team of C1 who probably only have 4 or maybe 5 heroes each?? I know Trendy did say some challenges were best with a team, but what if you dont have people you can play with? What if you can only play for a couple of hours at a time, making finding a team each time annoying as more and more complete this mode. 

And yet again we have a "One and done" mode once you completed the 5 stars in the map if it is below your tier there is NO reason to ever ever play it again. They really want to force us to play trials I guess but when your fully geared what to do? The new infinite/endless mode coming doesnt really thrill me either. I dont really want to be stuck playing the same match for hours or until my defenses fail. 

The restrictions in builds is what makes this game mode fun in my opinion. I have only done two maps so far, and the challenges presented to me I found to be quite enjoyable. The second map especially. Finding a way to beat it without using walls was a lot of fun.

Also, I am strictly solo and 5 starred the first two maps. Although team play would have definitely made it easier I enjoyed the challenge. 

I am in the generally enjoy camp!  It is fun to feel the pressure of possibly losing again, and that no repair/no upgrade is quite interesting!  The 30 second build time is the only thing I think that mandates multiplayer so far (though it is easier with multiplayer), and it is quite annoying to have no next map button.  That said, I think I will be bored of mastery long before C7 comes out...

I am also supremely disappointed by the shadow flame dagger nerf, but that is a completely separate issue.

The only issue I see is the build phase limitation, everything else is moot.

Even with the build phase one, current 3rd place finisher of all 105 stars was 100% solo, so.... get gud?