Some Early Mastery Feedback

It actually seems like Mastery Mode is A step in the right direction for the beloved DunDef title. Not THE step, but A step none-the-less.

It is, truly fantastic, to have our map choice back, to be able to play, whatever map I want, and i cant wait till all chaos levels are done so i can truly do the maps i need, to get loot i need, while getting done what i want done. The star reward system is pretty cool, most of it being vanity, colelctible stuff so no one feels completely left out for being unable to do this stuff.

Havent got my first hyper shard yet though, though from what i read, it seems like, once you unlock it, you can equip as many as you need? Which I hope so, considering Mass Destruction is one that DEFO needs to be multi-achieved/obtained to fit all the mass amount of defenses we could use it for.

IT also seems like it could be an alternative way to progress cause it seems like it drops chaos appropriate gear, which is nice. Hard to tell though since it's been a long time since ive been pre-chaos7 player lol

Now if only we can do something about those 3 Hard-Counter mobs so we can truly have our choices back and let the TRUE fun begin >w>

All-in-all, this mastery mode seems like a good move trendy, you have this aliens approval Emoji_AbyssLord.png

lets hope to see more good moves like this in the future! :D

I think the mode is garbage because of the counter mobs. Everything in this game sucks because of the counter-mobs. After making it all the way through Chaos 7, it felt good to not have to worry about them anymore because it was easy to over power them. The game was still unfun though. There is no incentive to play and nothing rewarding.

With this mode, it feels like I am creating a new account and I have to go through the horrible counter-mob process all over again. I haven't played in a few months and all it took was one map to make me shelf this game again. 

I have been saying it forever.... Change the counter mobs. They are unfun. And for all of you who have an IQ no higher than 8, there is a difference between unfun and difficult.

I liked at first the mode but when you realize that all maps share the same very reduced pool of special rules to get stars (and therefore rewards) it feels clunky and less fun very quickly. I never had a problem with the limited amount of variations onslaught was offering because onslaught has always been working differently and a truly different gamemode.

The thing is that we are happy to play mastery "mode" because it offers us the chance to choose our map, I don't know about you guys but I find that a bit weird/sad that we are happy to finally play again any map we want. It sounds like it should have been a default feature for ages now.

I am curious to hear about the other hyper shards besides mass destruction but that is the less inspired reward I've seen in this game. Many people already were feeling very meh about all shards that gives a +% of X that could apply to any build and was so strong that became a must have. And now after community's feedback for months we end up having a "brand-new feature" allowing you to have the same part of the old content you disliked the most but even bigger ? I guess what's cool is that in the long run you will have to choose to have mass destruction or something else (because only one hyper shard at max right ? or I dreamed that part) but if we end up having fortification and all the other (speed, range boost etc) as next shards ... I'm not sure the excitement will be there.

Also I feel that balancing will be even more off than ever if we start having such spikes in power in very particular aspects of builds. It will just make already op builds exponentially more op.

You are saying what i said lol

I did include that now if only they can get rid of the hard-counters lol

as for the .. scaling to the level .. aspect of mastery mode, i dont mind it, makes it more interesting to play with friends cause i know some friends dont like just being outright carried. I like it more cause, it WILL be for all chaos levels, they've said this. They are just doing this, heh, cute, lil, story based update thing they are doing to "decipher the code" to show us the location of the next chaos level of mastery each week lol

so for now, yeah, kinda, boring that we only got chaos 1, but the fact it will become an aternative way to progress, that gives us at least 1 of our greatly missed choices back (map choice) is a blessing, a sign that maybe, just maybe, trendy is getting the message and beginning to move in the right direction and listening to the players they are losing instead of the microscopic few that are staying. Now maybe if we keep talking about how bad the 3 Hard-Counters are, we will eventually see an update that fixes them too, just as they've fixed our map choice issue.

Edit for Sombreros post that ninja'd in while i was posting XD

Im happy for the map choice not so much for the map choice itself but for the fact that it means, Trendy listened. One of the biggest issues we've had with this game, and they FINALLY listened. And happy for the hope it brings that maybe they will listen to the other biggest issues (like hard-counters). That's why im happy map choice came back to us.

As for the Hyper Shard, they said the others were suppose to be combinations, and we cant be certain but from the names it sounds more like lesser shards got combined to be more appeasing, kinda like the one i saw named "Explosive Shielding guard" sounds like it combines those two shards. As for Mass Destruction, I personally like it, cause I feel like, it's a boon for those of us that prefer steady damage over the randomness of crit damage. But the game is SO HORRIBLY tilted towards crit builds, that you basically need to do crit builds in order to have any real power, it's go crit or bring yourself more difficulty. Mass Destruction, feels like we power based users have a bit less of a gap to cover to compare to the crit builds, which for me, feels nice, and i hope to see more love for us that prefer that kind of build lol

Did you play allone with the quest under 30 seconds build phase?

When play mastery allone it's to short to build to get trough the first wave.

@Fatboy01 quote:

Did you play allone with the quest under 30 seconds build phase?

When play mastery allone it's to short to build to get trough the first wave.

I played alone it´s perfectly doable. Just press start before the timer hits 0 and continue building during the first wave. 

Well although I finished the 105 stars and quite liked the main idea of mastery mode I do have a few issues. 

1 Having the race start on a weekday is unfair to anyone with a life especially if prize is only for the top 10.

2 Some challenges are not fair if you cant find people with every hero and some if you cant find people with multiples. the no walls, one only of every defense, etc what if you only own the original 4?

3 Sometimes when replaying a map you failed it shows the same fails even before you start.

I did enjoy most of it even though at times it was frustrating with mostly just 2 of us. Some maps were a total blast and now I dont need to care about stars I might just go back and have fun anyway.

@dizzydiana quote:

1 Having the race start on a weekday is unfair to anyone with a life especially if prize is only for the top 10.

2 Some challenges are not fair if you cant find people with every hero and some if you cant find people with multiples. the no walls, one only of every defense, etc what if you only own the original 4?

3 Sometimes when replaying a map you failed it shows the same fails even before you start.

I did enjoy most of it even though at times it was frustrating with mostly just 2 of us. Some maps were a total blast and now I dont need to care about stars I might just go back and have fun anyway.

1. We're looking into this, we wanted to get things started right away with the first one, but there is potential to change this up to be more inclusive.

2. I'm personally going through and testing this myself on my personal account (solo with base 4 heroes). So far, no major issues.

3. If you're in a party and you're getting that bug, it's something we found yesterday. We're getting our biggest boots to try and stomp it out, we're sorry for any frustrations its caused.

@dizzydiana quote:

Actually, those challenges were unexpectedly easy. Even for solo. But i enjoyed every one of them nonetheless.

If you only have 4 original heroes, you still have enough defenses to overcome anything presented in mastery mode atm. I used flamethrowers and flame auras for most of the challenges and it worked just fine.

P.S. You can use frosties with totem for "no blockade" challenge. They work perfectly.

I'm find the rewards range from awesome (extra slot, pet rewards) to downright insulting (120k gold). I also wish golden pets were always legendary. If they are going to be rare, and limited, why are they a random roll.

@The Jason Order quote:

I'm find the rewards range from awesome (extra slot, pet rewards) to downright insulting (120k gold). 

Really?? This is the gold upon gold upon gold they promised us?  I mean, I know there will be more gold down the line for mastery rewards, but 120k is actually insulting.  I would have expected a minimum of 1 million for it to feel worth anything, and even that is only maxing a 2-4 pieces of equipment or shards.

I saw some of that as potential issues too. Some of the challenges being used for Chaos 5+, would be almost literally impossible because of all the hard-counters.

Honestly, Hard-Counters is the only big issue thing left for me, and so many others who have ditched this game entirely, that is keeping this game from being truly fun. Hard-Counters are not fun, let us use whatever tower we want. Or in the case of mastery challenges, NEED to, but CANT because of Hard-Counters.

How I long for the day to see Vanguards, EMP Orcs, and Geodes to be stripped of their Hard-Counter tags x.x

Then the game would be truly fun for me again, id play it regularily again. Bring a lot of friends with me too who have been waiting for that.

Well, certain towers can bypass Goedes and Vanguards. Ramster, Sand Viper and Serpent's Coil are beams and ignore them.

While the Dryads defenses are traps, they have very long range, especially Nimbus, so they can be placed outside of the lane path.

So there are work around for every restriction.

I think you missed the point lol

We HAVE to use those towers to get around the Hard-Counters, we shouldn't HAVE to do anything unless we want the extra challenge. Sometimes we jsut wanna build and use some of our favorite towers or make new builds work all the time, but we can't cause Hard-Counters constantly shut down entire defense types.

Especially for this mastery mode. It's gonna be sad when we get to the EMP Orc heavy chaos levels and the challenge says "No Towers" So basically everything we can use gets wrecked by EMP Orc, fantastic. And knowing mastery, our range will be "scaled" as well, although i dont think it matters cause ive yet to see these magic placements of auras that EMP Orcs and they lil ball of impossible reach cant reach. So anyone without dryad, even though she can get boned by them too, will be at complete disadvantage. And god help the ones that get "No Towers OR Walls" on emp orc heavy chaos levels x.x

Anyway, point is, Hard-Counters suck, they aren't difficulty, they are a "fake" difficulty that can normally be easily countered, but in the process, strips us of our choices and gives us much less options to play with and have fun with. It gets lame and boring really quick when forced to use the same defense types over and over, which is all you can do once you've progressed and are at the top.

A little addition - there is a Greystone Plaza, and one of its mastery points is undamaged core. Its not that hard, but! Sometimes on the last wave (left lane) Javelinthrowers just stop, turn right,  and hit the core (no builds near the core). It happened 2 times in a row and its total nonsence - mob for no reason hit your core from highground then continues walk on its way. I tried to cover the core with volcano in second try(no nodes allowed), but bucking Jewelthrower hit the core anyway =D